Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Enter wolves.

I cant see how this wouldnt be sensible

HG gives lembekisa a chance to get a loan and could push semedo

Spence would not be able to play in the FA Cup for any new side after making a late substitute appearance in Tottenham's third round win against Portsmouth.

We were linked before surely, it makes sense?

Last edited:

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Joelinton has made runs from midfield all season and as a result Newcastle get an additional threat in the box. Three times last night , 1 goal , 1 disallowed and 1 sitter all from around the edge of the 6 yard box with him the furthest midfield runner. We need a player to do that , as well as a number 9

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I refuse to believe we've loaned out Fabio rather than recalling him because we're confident in Costa and Jimenez as our only options. Something has to be lined up. We aren't gambling our survival on strikers that haven't scored in 31 games/10 months. I refuse to believe that.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see no logic in letting Silva go to PSV unless we have a striker lined up to buy.
Could someone explain ?

I’m not sure Silva is going to make it to the very top as his price tag suggested. However the standard he will experience in Holland will be higher than in Belgium I think.

I never saw ‘natural ability’ in the striking department in him. I’m no expert, tho watching football for over 55 years, yet you can see the special ones, they stand out above the rest. I’ve never had that feeling with Fabio, never saw that special something in him that was above the ordinary.

For his sake and for ours, you have to hope that he will blossom in Holland and go on from there to reach the heights we had hoped for when signed

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I refuse to believe we've loaned out Fabio rather than recalling him because we're confident in Costa and Jimenez as our only options. Something has to be lined up. We aren't gambling our survival on strikers that haven't scored in 31 games/10 months. I refuse to believe that.
I agree that Costa and Jimenez are not good enough, but I think Fabio stays out on loan because he is not considered better than what we have now.

I don't bet, but if I did I would say we are NOT looking for another striker, and yes, we are in trouble.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure Silva is going to make it to the very top as his price tag suggested. However the standard he will experience in Holland will be higher than in Belgium I think.

I never saw ‘natural ability’ in the striking department in him. I’m no expert, tho watching football for over 55 years, yet you can see the special ones, they stand out above the rest. I’ve never had that feeling with Fabio, never saw that special something in him that was above the ordinary.

For his sake and for ours, you have to hope that he will blossom in Holland and go on from there to reach the heights we had hoped for when signed
I couldn’t agree more . But we are fighting for our lives and a Silva on the bench is better than Silva at PSV. Imagine Costa gets injured .

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
I can see no logic in letting Silva go to PSV unless we have a striker lined up to buy.
Could someone explain ?
I get the impression Fabio doesn't want to come back and play for us anyway. Regardless of whether he's ready or not. Possible attitude problems for me. If that is the case he best stay away. The place was toxic until JL came in and it could easily slip back after a few bad results so we only need players who want to be here and try for us not ones who don't. Going to PSV will put him in the shop window a bit more. Personally I don't think Fabio will play for us again. He'll be gone in the summer hopefully for a decent fee if the PSV loan goes well.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more . But we are fighting for our lives and a Silva on the bench is better than Silva at PSV. Imagine Costa gets injured .
Hopefully there is somebody coming in that will lift the whole place and get us some goals!!

Without a radical improvement in the ‘goals for’ column, we are destined for the drop, there are no easy games this season in what is a much stronger league

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Jimmy And Costa is better than Jimmy and Costa and Silva ?
Costa and Raul at least have a proven record at this level that they have strength and have scored. They may be past their time , granted but they have both cut the mustard. Fabio hasnt. Even with increased muscle he still hasnt the pace. He has not shown the instinctive runs that Costa has for instance even though 2022-23 Costa cant finish his dinner( a different argument).

Lets make it clear I would be happy to have him back in the squad for next season but he is not the answer in January 2023, so a further loan is the right move and give him every opportunity to reach the standard required for as premier striker. Raul is being afforded the same by J-Lo now based on his previous showing. The jury is out for Diego who I fear may how found his bridge too far. Thats a shame because any form at all and he is the best option of those three based on track record.

I am still in the please sign a new 9 camp. Same as I am still a Noppert fan in goal even though we have signed Bentley. Will we sign a new striker/ number 9. I think not but hope to be surprised.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the impression Fabio doesn't want to come back and play for us anyway. Regardless of whether he's ready or not. Possible attitude problems for me. If that is the case he best stay away. The place was toxic until JL came in and it could easily slip back after a few bad results so we only need players who want to be here and try for us not ones who don't. Going to PSV will put him in the shop window a bit more. Personally I don't think Fabio will play for us again. He'll be gone in the summer hopefully for a decent fee if the PSV loan goes well.
I tend to agree
He didnt seem particularly intent to come back here and wanted another loan it seems
Blow ups with managers dont bode well and perhaps hes believed in the hype surrounding that big fee
All supposition maybe but i too believe he will be gone in the summer

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
8 outfield players sub 6ft. We would be murdered at set pieces- more than we are now.That midfield three needs Lemina to swap with Moutinho to start and then bring RAUL on with Mouts to see out the game and provide additional ariel support taking off Podence.
Collins, Dawson, Neves, Nunes and Cuhna are all around or above 6ft I think. Semedo is there or there abouts too isn’t he?

I don’t think height is an issue with that line up as much as physicality when jostling in the box. Nunes, Cuhna and Semedo are all tall enough to do a job I’m just not sure they’re aggressive enough aerially, especially defensively when trying to win headers from a standing jump.

As @WolfLing says though, we should probably focus on a way of playing to our strengths cohesively rather than the oppositions. We’ve spent much of the past few years set up to mitigate the opposition rather than play our own game.

Under Nuno we had one plan, plan A, when it worked it was great, when it didn’t we struggled. Under Lage we mostly went with plan B to nullify the opposition but didn’t have any real idea how we wanted to play ourselves too often. Hopefully Lopetegui can find a balance where by we play our way but can tweak it to be most effective against each opponent week to week.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks . That would explain.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is why you spend the money on a striker and go two up front. Plenty of room in the squad for the "might be" strikers.
Yeah but we can’t just click reset, we’ve got a squad full of players on the wage bill that something needs to happen with too. The summer is the better time to deal with that and perhaps that’s the clubs view too.

Let’s just hope that they’ve got it right and we’re planning a revamp in the premier league still and not the championship.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa and Raul at least have a proven record at this level that they have strength and have scored. They may be past their time , granted but they have both cut the mustard. Fabio hasnt. Even with increased muscle he still hasnt the pace. He has not shown the instinctive runs that Costa has for instance even though 2022-23 Costa cant finish his dinner( a different argument).

Lets make it clear I would be happy to have him back in the squad for next season but he is not the answer in January 2023, so a further loan is the right move and give him every opportunity to reach the standard required for as premier striker. Raul is being afforded the same by J-Lo now based on his previous showing. The jury is out for Diego who I fear may how found his bridge too far. Thats a shame because any form at all and he is the best option of those three based on track record.

I am still in the please sign a new 9 camp. Same as I am still a Noppert fan in goal even though we have signed Bentley. Will we sign a new striker/ number 9. I think not but hope to be surprised.
All agreed but my point was Silva adds an extra option and that is better than no option . Unless he has issues that are unsettling the squad . If so what a waste of £35 million euros . He has been very badly managed. He is a kid .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but we can’t just click reset, we’ve got a squad full of players on the wage bill that something needs to happen with too. The summer is the better time to deal with that and perhaps that’s the clubs view too.

Let’s just hope that they’ve got it right and we’re planning a revamp in the premier league still and not the championship.
What is meant by just clicking reset? We are having to get players in just to have half a chance in a 4-3-3. This is pretty much a squad reset this window; that is what we are choosing to do to make the grade. We're choosing not to sort out centre forward to bulk up our midfield and wing options.
For me this is sheer insanity.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tend to agree
He didnt seem particularly intent to come back here and wanted another loan it seems
Blow ups with managers dont bode well and perhaps hes believed in the hype surrounding that big fee
All supposition maybe but i too believe he will be gone in the summer
Sadly, I think you are right. I hope that he does do well in Holland and that JL gives him a chance in the summer, but I think the nature of his departure from Anderlecht may have done more harm to the chance of such a return and that Wolves will be tempted by any half decent offers they get. The saving grace is that it will end one of the more tedious and long lived controversies on this site. If Adama goes as well what will we find to argue about on a long term basis?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If JL wants a CF he'll get one. It's clear he has carte blanche to sign who he wants in positions he wants

If he doesn't I trust his judgement an infinite amount more than any single poster on here
No manager would not want an extra CF especially when his existing two haven’t scored . It Will be down to budgets .

tikatyboo

Reaction score
Joelinton has made runs from midfield all season and as a result Newcastle get an additional threat in the box. Three times last night , 1 goal , 1 disallowed and 1 sitter all from around the edge of the 6 yard box with him the furthest midfield runner. We need a player to do that , as well as a number 9
dont forget Joelinton was signed as a number 9 for Newcastle and played there before Howe moved him to an attacking midfielder so he does know where the net is genius move in my opinion tho.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No manager would not want an extra CF especially when his existing two haven’t scored . It Will be down to budgets .
It's nothing to do with budgets. I think it's fairly obvious JL sees Cunha as the extra option up front. He's said it various times

Abwolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Sadly, I think you are right. I hope that he does do well in Holland and that JL gives him a chance in the summer, but I think the nature of his departure from Anderlecht may have done more harm to the chance of such a return and that Wolves will be tempted by any half decent offers they get. The saving grace is that it will end one of the more tedious and long lived controversies on this site. If Adama goes as well what will we find to argue about on a long term basis?
Was Semedo an upgrade on Doc?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If JL wants a CF he'll get one. It's clear he has carte blanche to sign who he wants in positions he wants

If he doesn't I trust his judgement an infinite amount more than any single poster on here
I think thats why we were rumoured to be in for Antonio. I doubt we have bought Cunha in instead of…. Different attributes snd complimentary.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with budgets. I think it's fairly obvious JL sees Cunha as the extra option up front. He's said it various times
Extra to what? Extra to a non-performing front line?
You may know how/where Cunha has played in the past - I don't. Has he fed-off a target man or has he been part of a front line that doesn't get into the box in any numbers, with a midfield that doesn't 'bust a gut' to support him or does he do everything himself?
From what I've seen of Cunha so far (and of course this is in limited time at Wolves), he looks very much a Mutch type figure that will create and score a few, but he will need to create for someone that we don't have!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extra to what? Extra to a non-performing front line?
You may know how/where Cunha has played in the past - I don't. Has he fed-off a target man or has he been part of a front line that doesn't get into the box in any numbers, with a midfield that doesn't 'bust a gut' to support him or does he do everything himself?
From what I've seen of Cunha so far (and of course this is in limited time at Wolves), he looks very much a Mutch type figure that will create and score a few, but he will need to create for someone that we don't have!

Football has moved on a lot since the days of Bull and Mutch.

I don't think Cunha is like Mutch was at all.

Andy Mutch was strong as an ox, he held the ball up, laid it off and set up Bully for a lot of his goals. The closest partnership using our existing players would probably be something like Costa or Raul playing the Mutch role and Cunha playing the Bully role (although this is closest, it's still miles off!).

I've said it before, but where would Bully fit in to modern football? I'm not so sure he'd be a lone, central striker, particularly in his younger days when he had bags of pace.

I think the player we've had recently that reminded me the most of Bully in his prime was Diogo Jota. Bouncing off defenders, running the channels, finishing with power on either foot, decent in the air. For me, a young Bully would probably play a very similar role to that of Jota in today's game.

I think Cunha could be very similar to Jota for us, whether that's off the left or centrally. He has all the tools, he just needs a goal to kick him off.

As for his past, he's played the most games as a central forward. He is very adaptable, he's a decent size and a decent age, so no reason why he can't be a answer there.

Cunha.jpg

Back
Top Bottom