Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does this window remind you a bit of our Summer Business?
Collins, Guedes, B Traore, Nunes
Winter
Dawson, Cunha, Lemina, Sarabia
Throw in a last minute panic buy of a striker and to me we are going down the same path, similar players with similar strengths
After City game I am back to being very concerned again.
Not at all, you've missed out the ones who left us in the summer.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the limp play from our stringing options yet again.

A proper “in the box” striker must be priority number one, then a replacement for Sa who frankly is woeful now.

We don’t do these two things and we could be in trouble.

I think we stay up now JL is here, but we need to correct these things ASAP to give ourselves an even better chance than he has given us.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We haven't signed anyone yet that is a clear cut improvement on what we have.
So Lemina isn't an upgrade on Hodge? Cunha isn't better than Hwang? Dawson isn't better than Mosquera? We need them to replace the weakest members in the team, not strongest. So by this metric we absolutely have strengthened the team, and it will show.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Maybe not obviously better, but they are players with much different profiles to the players we currently have and will hopefully let us play the more pressing all over the pitch style that JL wants us to.

This team was built over most of the previous 4 years with the sole intention of playing a deep block with players who are good at running side to side and keeping their shape and defending the box but not so great at pressing and winning the ball back high up the pitch instead. We needed different players rather than specifically better players. Nuno tried this with the same old players in his 4th year and it didn't work, Lage tried to do it with a few new signings and it didn't work and now the penny seems to have dropped and JL is trying it but with a big update to the team, lets hope it's 3rd time lucky!

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sarabia looked like a really good player and signing, this lad will come good for us

Lets see how we line up against liverpool.

Hes got 12 days we really should know our best line up and equally, sarabia, lemina,dawson, cunha all fully integrated and bedded in

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today proves yet again that we have four attacking players at our club who just do not score goals. Ideally replace 2 of them and let the other two leave. Hwang, Adama, Raul, Costa are not the answer for whatever reason and it is there staring us in the face. The lack of goals is beyond laughable. Also Cunha is not and never will be a no9 but has to surely be starting against Liverpool or why have we shelled out nearly 45 million on him?
It’s all too samey; Cunha too. All very skilful, all very clever but there are no goals in them. We need to mix it up more and get a striker who tries to get in behind the defence and forwards who then look to get in and around the box. We’ve got strikers who play back to goal and forwards to like the ball to feet only.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, by definition, Spanish International Sarabia, PL-experienced Lemina and Dawson, and La Liga player Cunha are the four worst players in the squad?

Mmmmmm....
Now now… that’s how what he’s said, is it? I’m not saying I agree with him but let’s be fair!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact we didn’t recall Fabio makes me assume there’s a striker coming in. Raul doesn’t seem interested in getting in goalscoring areas and Costa hasn’t got the legs to.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
haaland proves time and time again a ruthless striker who needs very limited chances is what any team needs, but other than kane, lewandowski, benzema etc, they are really far and few between

16 touches - 3 goals for haaland (mental)

Raul did have a bit of a golden touch before his injury,

We need to find a striker who can score of limited options, (we do need to make more chances) - gyorkeres has been making chances for himself for coventry but it would be a big jump for him to the prem.

Andre silva? never really been prolific, who we could get to lead the line i dont know.

its why ings, who seems to score with very limited chances was a big miss. (imo)

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly really not sure what people are expecting we spent a lot of money in the summer and while most of the signings haven't worked (form,injuries or just not being up for it) doesn't mean we can just go in and spend huge money again to replace these players, if anything we have done more business than i thought we would....

Give the new guys time the schedule has meant a lot of changes here and there with cups games etc once we get everyone settled in and start having a more settled line up in the Premier League games we will see the quality.

Lopetegui said from day one we had to rebalance the squad and looking at our bench yesterday with the quality we have I feel we have done that....

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He must know and play his best lineup against liverpool

Lead it with cunha and put sarabia/podence to the side.

Then use traore/raul/costa for subs if needed.

I hope neto injects something into this side by end of feb

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact we didn’t recall Fabio makes me assume there’s a striker coming in. Raul doesn’t seem interested in getting in goalscoring areas and Costa hasn’t got the legs to.
I think that's harsh on Raul, who IMO has shown a lot of positive signs over the past few weeks. He was bang in the middle of the 6-yard box for a tap-in against Forest and was a whisker away from a lovely goal against West Ham. He isn't perfect, but he is getting into goalscoring areas in recent games.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve spent too much money on “potential “ (2 goals in 35 appearances stuff )

We need to go big on a proven cf that scores goals. We are ****ed if we don’t!!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve spent too much money on “potential “ (2 goals in 35 appearances stuff )

We need to go big on a proven cf that scores goals. We are ****ed if we don’t!!
I agree but who is going to come and who you going to get?

Ramos? Evanilson?
Gabigol?

Take your pick

Given that the Juliper league is where Fabio has been scoring and we are stating or posters are stating that the league is not good enough i discount anyone like jansen or onuachu

1674464246108.png

1674464274509.png
1674464285746.png
1674464334931.png

The player who jumps out to me who we may have a genuine chance of signing is fran navarro

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ramos? Evanilson?
Gabigol?

Take your pick

Given that the Juliper league is where Fabio has been scoring and we are stating or posters are stating that the league is not good enough i discount anyone like jansen or onuachu

View attachment 32670

View attachment 32671
View attachment 32672
View attachment 32673

The player who jumps out to me who we may have a genuine chance of signing is fran navarro
Many turned their noses Enner Valencia at least he knows where the net is

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
haaland proves time and time again a ruthless striker who needs very limited chances is what any team needs, but other than kane, lewandowski, benzema etc, they are really far and few between

16 touches - 3 goals for haaland (mental)

Raul did have a bit of a golden touch before his injury,

We need to find a striker who can score of limited options, (we do need to make more chances) - gyorkeres has been making chances for himself for coventry but it would be a big jump for him to the prem.

Andre silva? never really been prolific, who we could get to lead the line i dont know.

its why ings, who seems to score with very limited chances was a big miss. (imo)
Not sure he had limited chances. Straight forward header (great ball), penalty l, open goal

You've got to say even our forwards may have registered with said chances

As you say, we've got to create them. And then have players willing and intelligent enough to be anywhere near the goal to be on the end of them.

Watching Haaland is quite interesting. He never goes wide, rarely drops deep. Just waits for his moment near the goal You could argue City have created the option to have the luxury of a player that can do this bit we don't even seem to be able to do it ever

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure he had limited chances. Straight forward header (great ball), penalty l, open goal

You've got to say even our forwards may have registered with said chances

As you say, we've got to create them. And then have players willing and intelligent enough to be anywhere near the goal to be on the end of them.

Watching Haaland is quite interesting. He never goes wide, rarely drops deep. Just waits for his moment near the goal You could argue City have created the option to have the luxury of a player that can do this bit we don't even seem to be able to do it ever
Agreed its a good point and the idea was i believe for costa to stick between the width of the posts and try to do something similar.

We dont have the luxury no, but if you look at liverpool nunez is talented but not pulling up trees.

In the league its rasfhord, haaland, mitrovic, toney etc.

I think gyokeres would be a genuine good shout

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ramos? Evanilson?
Gabigol?

Take your pick

View attachment 32670

View attachment 32671
View attachment 32672
View attachment 32673

Hopefully they have a top target lined up

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Just had a random thought…we are blatantly in need of a centre forward and a presence in the box…could there be a possibility that with Fabio going to PSV we take Luuk De Jong in exchange as part of the deal?…JL had him at Sevilla….just a thought and could explain Fabio going to PSV as a sweetener….?

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just don’t know anymore.

I have said last night that I don’t think Haaland would score in this team. And I’m not slating the team here.

Yesterday was an anomaly. We won’t play a team like that every week.

I’d like us to get a goal scorer In but they are few and far between and I think we would need to spend massively and have a hard job convincing one to come in for a relegation scrap.

I said Ings but that didn’t happen. For the money he would have got us some goals. And then we could reevaluate.

I think we missed the boat on Ramos unfortunately.

Gabigol is prolific in South America. Less so when he’s been out of South America. 2 issues on him are 1.) dealing with Flamengo and 2.) Id say it would take another £40m to get him in. And that’s £40m outlayed with no real guarantee.

Offer 15-20m for the Cov striker and I reckon they’d take it despite the manager saying he’s not for sale. Still no guarantee he could step up to the prem.

Really like Cunha but he’s not a No9 at all. I can see him getting a ton of assists alongside a real goal scorer though.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don’t know anymore.

I have said last night that I don’t think Haaland would score in this team. And I’m not slating the team here.

Yesterday was an anomaly. We won’t play a team like that every week.

I’d like us to get a goal scorer In but they are few and far between and I think we would need to spend massively and have a hard job convincing one to come in for a relegation scrap.

I said Ings but that didn’t happen. For the money he would have got us some goals. And then we could reevaluate.

I think we missed the boat on Ramos unfortunately.

Gabigol is prolific in South America. Less so when he’s been out of South America. 2 issues on him are 1.) dealing with Flamengo and 2.) Id say it would take another £40m to get him in. And that’s £40m outlayed with no real guarantee.

Offer 15-20m for the Cov striker and I reckon they’d take it despite the manager saying he’s not for sale. Still no guarantee he could step up to the prem.

Really like Cunha but he’s not a No9 at all. I can see him getting a ton of assists alongside a real goal scorer though.
4-2-3-1 is the only way I can see it working our 3 in midfield aren’t getting up to help our cf quick enough

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a random thought…we are blatantly in need of a centre forward and a presence in the box…could there be a possibility that with Fabio going to PSV we take Luuk De Jong in exchange as part of the deal?…JL had him at Sevilla….just a thought and could explain Fabio going to PSV as a sweetener….?
Unlikely as PSV have lost Gakpo and Madueke already

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
4-2-3-1 is the only way I can see it working our 3 in midfield aren’t getting up to help our cf quick enough

Agree totally mate. Problem is Neves sits deep and we’re having to try and then carry the ball to long. At least 4231 might bridge the gap a bit.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is not a bad shout at all.

Although they've been playing a 442, with Gakpo (then Madueke) off De Jong, so it's likely Fabio is coming to play with De Jong, rather than instead of him.

Last edited:

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do think the most likely thing CF wise will end up being a loan. With De Jong though, I’d say unlikely with Gakpo going to the dippers.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree totally mate. Problem is Neves sits deep and we’re having to try and then carry the ball to long. At least 4231 might bridge the gap a bit.
Agreed the gaps between the midfield and forward is huge

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's harsh on Raul, who IMO has shown a lot of positive signs over the past few weeks. He was bang in the middle of the 6-yard box for a tap-in against Forest and was a whisker away from a lovely goal against West Ham. He isn't perfect, but he is getting into goalscoring areas in recent games.
Maybe, but despite the improvements to his sharpness, he unfortunately isn't good enough anymore for what we need.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Unlikely as PSV have lost Gakpo and Madueke already
Meaning they now have mega bucks to replace them with and both wingers rather than strikers…Fabio would be a straight swap for De jong too so they wouldn’t be any worse off….anyway just a thought;-)

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meaning they now have mega bucks to replace them with and both wingers rather than strikers…Fabio would be a straight swap for De jong too so they wouldn’t be any worse off….anyway just a thought;-)

De Jong flopped massively for Newcastle. I'd stick clear. Probably not even as good as William Jose

Chiggy83

Groupie
Reaction score
I do think the most likely thing CF wise will end up being a loan. With De Jong though, I’d say unlikely with Gakpo going to the dippers.

I’d love us to go for Morata from Atletico Madrid on loan. Not sure if we could get him as he is in their team regularly but he has the height, great movement and a decent strike rate across multiple leagues.

Back
Top Bottom