Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't see many good young south Americans jumping at the the chance to join wolves ..... especially when we have competition from 'bigger' clubs in terms of developing players ..... benfica for Enzo Fernandez was on a different stratosphere in terms of developing south American talent......
true plus if we had him i doubt we would have played him as much as Benfica

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does now having Lopetegui change that somewhat especially with Mendes trying to get his fingers in the South American pie?
Helps.....but it doesn't change all those years of history.......it's not a slant on us .....south American kids will always join the Porto , benfica etc as a stepping stone over the likes of wolves.....just in the same way the probably wouldnt chose Leicester etc..

The tried and trusted route's will always come first...

Last edited:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not a slant on us ....it's just reality......the stepping stone into European football generally isn't a club like wolves....and hasn't been for 50/70 years .... language doesn't help.....advisors in South America will have list of clubs with previous success at development with players and unfortunately Wolves isn't one....it's nothing to do with facilities etc , it's just our status in the game ...
I also think that the stepping stone from S America to a European club such as Benfica may not involve the week in week out intensity of the PL, the style of play and overall lifestyle/ culture/ weather is probably nearer what they are used to and they will have the possibility of Champions League football.
It all allows them to develop at a slower pace than in the PL, and then if they succeed, they can move on to a bigger European club when they are a little older/ mature and used to European football and being away from their home continent.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also think that the stepping stone from S America to a European club such as Benfica may not involve the week in week out intensity of the PL, the style of play and overall lifestyle/ culture/ weather is probably nearer what they are used to and they will have the possibility of Champions League football.
It all allows them to develop at a slower pace than in the PL, and then if they succeed, they can move on to a bigger European club when they are a little older/ mature and used to European football and being away from their home continent.
How do Brighton do it?

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d love us to sign Scott from brizzle as the telegraph article says

Wolves are also looking at players in the Championship. Alex Scott, the Bristol City midfielder, is highly admired by the club’s management and recruitment staff, though a deal could be difficult. It is estimated that at least a dozen other top-flight clubs are watching the England under-19 international, who would cost north of £10million.

Wolf_Words

Reaction score
How do Brighton do it?
Interesting article in the Athletic about exactly this went up this morning: (Mac Allister, Caicedo, Buonanotte: How Brighton mastered the South American market)

“In 2015, when Brighton were in the Championship, they made an audacious attempt to buy striker Jonathan Calleri from Argentinian giants Boca Juniors.

They couldn’t pull it off and Calleri was playing in the Premier League a year later, on loan to West Ham, but it was a valuable experience in getting to know the complexities of transfer dealings in South America.”

After failing to get Calleri, they made a concerted effort to scout and make contacts in the region and focus on areas outside of Brazil and Argentina, which might be the more important part of what Hobbs’ trip last summer was for. They have built a good reputation there over years of time, so now South American players trust them as a stepping stone into European football.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For this window, I don't think the South American youngsters are the ones needed. We have proven capable of turning the likes of Nunes and Guedes to shadows of their former selves and they were established, highly rated players in Spain and Portugal. If I was advising a young SA player, I would be pointing at the case of Yerson Mosquera- tenuously linked with big clubs when we signed him and now destined for Grasshoppers.

I am much more excited about the prospect of Viktor Gyokeres and Harry Souttar. Big guys, hardened to the British game, still a bit of potential and, worst case scenario, plenty of Championship experience. For 6'2" Gyokeres looks like he has plenty of pace- him and Cunha could be a frightening front two whilst 6'7" Souttar as the insurance between Kilman and Collins would make us so much stronger at the back.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article in the Athletic about exactly this went up this morning: (Mac Allister, Caicedo, Buonanotte: How Brighton mastered the South American market)

“In 2015, when Brighton were in the Championship, they made an audacious attempt to buy striker Jonathan Calleri from Argentinian giants Boca Juniors.

They couldn’t pull it off and Calleri was playing in the Premier League a year later, on loan to West Ham, but it was a valuable experience in getting to know the complexities of transfer dealings in South America.”

After failing to get Calleri, they made a concerted effort to scout and make contacts in the region and focus on areas outside of Brazil and Argentina, which might be the more important part of what Hobbs’ trip last summer was for. They have built a good reputation there over years of time, so now South American players trust them as a stepping stone into European football.
Just need one to come and be a success then I guess more will follow

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think, as pointed out numerous times already. The problem was not who we let go regarding Saiss, Coady, Marcal and Boly. It was the failure to bring in adequate replacements,

It’s also noticeable that none of them went to clubs considered to be better than us to improve their careers. They were all on the decline. If the club wanted to move forward, I think they were absolutely the right players to get rid of.

Had we got a good replacement for Coady, therefore only needing one of Kilman or Collins to play regularly, it could have worked out well and I doubt there would be a single moan (well, okay, it’s the mix so there would be some).

It’s easy to criticise when things don’t work out but we’re all experts with the aid of hindsight. Had Collins come in and proved to be a world beater, we’d all be praising the decision. Where we got it wrong was not getting in another experienced CB to play with either Collins or Kilman. Hopefully that will be addressed soon.
Saiss really looked in decline at the world cup

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
giphy.gif
Hooray for Boubs!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Saiss really looked in decline at the world cup
Imo, he was playing in a side that were set up not to concede goals and they did it well, exactly like his best days at Wolves. The problem was that when you set up that way, it limits the the attacking threat the team will carry.

Wolves became a victim of having to accommodate a deep lying midfield to aid the lack of pace in a back 3 and that system had run it’s course. Personally, I only ever rated Saiss as average and often felt he was an accident waiting to happen. Which he proved on many occasions.

Most of us were moaning about the turgid football Wolves had played for the last couple of seasons and if I had been given a choice of players that needed upgrading to try and move forward, they would have all been on my list.

As I said, the problem was NOT upgrading them sufficiently.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imo, he was playing in a side that were set up not to concede goals and they did it well, exactly like his best days at Wolves. The problem was that when you set up that way, it limits the the attacking threat the team will carry.

Wolves became a victim of having to accommodate a deep lying midfield to aid the lack of pace in a back 3 and that system had run it’s course. Personally, I only ever rated Saiss as average and often felt he was an accident waiting to happen. Which he proved on many occasions.

Most of us were moaning about the turgid football Wolves had played for the last couple of seasons and if I had been given a choice of players that needed upgrading to try and move forward, they would have all been on my list.

As I said, the problem was NOT upgrading them sufficiently.
The reason we have a "deep lying midfield" is because Moutinho isn't able to cover the ground quickly enough to be a box to box man. Nothing to do with pace in the back line. In fact, this hasn't changed as a result of switching to a 4, and as a result we have become more turgid.

But I agree with your last point.

wolfinaguernsey

Reaction score
I’d love us to sign Scott from brizzle as the telegraph article says

Wolves are also looking at players in the Championship. Alex Scott, the Bristol City midfielder, is highly admired by the club’s management and recruitment staff, though a deal could be difficult. It is estimated that at least a dozen other top-flight clubs are watching the England under-19 international, who would cost north of £10million.

He’s grandad messaged me the rumour just before but didn’t say if there is anything in it

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
“Hopes” - what the heck could that mean?

And great to hear Boubs is back!
Why do we insist on reading so much into individual chance words uttered by a manager whose first language is not English - and in fact is only just learning - at a press conference?

I read absolutely NOTHING into the word 'hopes'. Hope and expectation are close bedfellows; if he'd said 'expects', we have taken it that the documents have been signed and are just waiting for the video to be finished....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were we not told we were working on a few more signings before the end of the year, and then more in January ?
Big day tomorrow then .

Back
Top Bottom