Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 23 Transfer Window Thread

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without sounding defeatist, unless there’s a miracle I think we’re going down.

With that said it does pose a question about what to do in January.

Do we pay over the top for experienced players who might give us a chance of staying up but will be very expensive in a Championship wage bill or do we go for a reboot of the project and put together a new team of cheaper young players who after a year of the Chump could set us up for another stint in the Prem?

You do all in your power to stay up, none of this resetting *******s and hoping it'll work out with a new batch. Can easily stay down for another 10 years.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Do we pay over the top for experienced players who might give us a chance of staying up but will be very expensive in a Championship wage bill or do we go for a reboot of the project and put together a new team of cheaper young players who after a year of the Chump could set us up for another stint in the Prem?
I definitely feel the latter, as a fallback position, will be in the mind of owners and perhaps will have been discussed with JL already. That's why I would be surprised to see a major net spend in January. I think the main objective will still be to stay up, but I don't think that will be at the expense of trying to buy an instant answer - with all the longer term problems that might bring.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think our odds of staying in the Prem this year are far better than our odds of getting immediately promoted back.

The Championship is no joke.. we should be making every effort to stay up and rebuild from within the Prem.

Huntington

Reaction score
Is it confirmed there is money to spend in January or is this a hope/assumption?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t think so. A decent coach and his staff, the core of a decent squad, and a few targeted additions in January, and I think survival is certainly possible. I imagine a large part of the extended discussion between the club and JL was over what was needed.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve looked more at Martin Terrier….. looks good. Predominately winger or left forward I think. But apparently can play CF. Would he come? Suspect we would have to break our transfer record to get him.
We should sell him the club based on his ancestry as a Wolf!

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Assumption that a manager like lopetegui wouldn’t come to a team in the bottom 3 without assurances of adding players

What I think... Lopetegui had the ball in his court, he doesn't need to go into a relegation battle, Fosun have been desperate for him for a number of years.

Either he is very confident in this squad (which I doubt) or he has assurances that he has money to spend.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
I would like to ask Shi and Sellars why we have waited until now to get a squad and manager of quality.(hopefully)
Most Wolves fans could see that Lage and this bunch of players weren't good enough
I so, so hope that our new coach can bring in some quality cos we are well short of it at the moment!!!!!!!!

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We should sell him the club based on his ancestry as a Wolf!

Anything’s worth a try haha.

Been looking at YouTube videos of him. Looks very very good.

Saying that, the YouTube videos of most of the players we have signed look good. I actually think there’s a force field type of thing and as soon as a good player steps onto Waterloo road they immediately become ****

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not advocating this in anyway whatsoever ... but I have found myself wondering if the club will sell Neves (for a big fee) to fund the 4 or 5 players we probably need to bring in to have a good crack at staying up?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not advocating this in anyway whatsoever ... but I have found myself wondering if the club will sell Neves (for a big fee) to fund the 4 or 5 players we probably need to bring in to have a good crack at staying up?
Without. A sporting dircetor this club is incapable of making a timely correct signing

If neves goes we are simply relegated

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don’t, we will go down.

These players are not plenty good enough to stay up at all. As shown by their form over the last 9 months. 2 wins in 21 games! It’s not a short blip. A centre back and a centre forward is the absolute minimum we need to give ourselves a chance of survival.
We are probably the worst team in the league at the moment.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
We simply have to do what Newcastle did this January, add quality experienced players, for the here and now and hopefully good enough for next season onwards too. If short term signings to keep us up are all that's possible then so be it and the proper re-build starts in the summer next year.

Now is not the time for bringing in young players for the future. If we don't follow the Newcastle approach we'll be toast in my opinion. If Fosun have brought in JL in the hope he just gets a tune out of what we have already got (don't think JL would have come under those conditions) then it will be another **** up in a long line of **** ups.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm guessing

Craig Dawson- West Ham -CB
Oliver Torres- Sevilla-AM
Álvaro Odriozola -Real Madrid- RB
Mariano Daiz- Real Madrid-ST

Justawolf

Reaction score
All we got to do this season starting from now is get 3 points more than a **** forest a **** Southampton a **** Bournemouth. We might be **** but surely with an elite manager coming in we should be good enough to get out of this **** situation. It may just be what we need to shock us out of the complacent attitude shown by Shi and get to where we all want to be

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We convinced our new (quality) head coach didn’t we.

Newcastle convinced Guimaraes, Trippier, Targett and Burn last January, when they looked nailed in for relegation. Look at the difference they made and where they finished.
Also if you look at those players the only exceptional player is Bruno G. Which shows what a difference a good manager makes to a player.

Which is why you can’t judge a lot of this squad particularly the new guys before JL had had a chance to work with them.

That said, a RB and CF are an absolute necessity. Dawson in addition would be ideal.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's imperative we get a couple of homegrown players...... obviously Dawson is the obvious one for centre back.....

Right back.....loan move maybe for Aaron wan bissaka, DJed Spence .....Ben Johnson........

Lopetegui likes Fullbacks that have a good delivery and can get assists from them. So I doubt AWB would be a fit but, I wouldn't be against it.

We need two strikers I think just as we did at start of season

I agree, would take Chris Wood too. Get that experienced, HG player that knows the league.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
RB, CH, and CF (Chris Wood is ok) as a minimum, more needed if fresh injuries occur. We need 9 wins, the draws will take care of themselves.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The CM has to be an attacking one who can play off a striker. I don't want to see Nunes there again. Completely wasted.

I wouldn't be against offloading Podence and looking at another wide player who can be more effective in the final 3rd.

Martin Terrier would fit the bill replacing Podence with more potency. Dunno what we’d get for Podence. Personally not a fan in the slightest

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham will only sell Dawson if they find a suitable replacement.

Moyes is a big fan, the West Ham fans love him.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many honestly here can we say lopetegui would trust to keep us up ?.

I can probably name 3/4 players. The rest I am not sure in the slightest if I would back them to keep us up .

I do pray we are not fishing just from the mendes pool of players come January. As we need a balance and us getting the next best Portugal player will not help us stay up imo.

I just pray Lop has an idea who will cut it in a scrap . As I am happy we have got him but a very very slight concern is that he hasn't managed in a relegation battle in the Prem before.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply have to do what Newcastle did this January, add quality experienced players, for the here and now and hopefully good enough for next season onwards too. If short term signings to keep us up are all that's possible then so be it and the proper re-build starts in the summer next year.

Now is not the time for bringing in young players for the future. If we don't follow the Newcastle approach we'll be toast in my opinion. If Fosun have brought in JL in the hope he just gets a tune out of what we have already got (don't think JL would have come under those conditions) then it will be another **** up in a long line of **** ups.
This ... 100%.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Craig Dawson £5m
Martin Terrier £40m
Mariano Diaz Free
Aaron Wan-Bissaka Loan w/ option to buy for £25m

I'd be quite happy with that. Terrier can play centrally as well as on the left, bullish striker with good feet and an eye for a goal. I think he'd fit well with Neto and Guedes in a free flowing, interchanging front three. French league is fairly physical and he's a big lad so shouldn't have any problems adapting to PL football.

Diaz as a low risk, high reward option if he can stay healthy and rediscover the form he showed at Lyon a few years ago when he started regularly. He's out of contract in the summer and Madrid have been trying to offload him for a while.

AWB out of favour at Man United as Dalot is preferred, and they've also got Brandon Williams so I could see them willing to let him go on loan as he won't be happy warming their bench. Not as attacking as Lopetegui would traditionally like, but very good defensively and would help shore us up in that regard, also has the stamina to get up and down in the wingback role if Julen uses the same attacking 3-4-3 he used with Sevilla.

Dawson would be excellent backup/competition if West Ham finally let him go, already rumoured he wants to move further back up north closer to his home to reduce the commute. Cheap, old but valuable.

All players we've either been linked with (Dawson/Terrier/Diaz) or heavily linked with moves away in January (AWB).

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Craig Dawson £5m
Martin Terrier £40m
Mariano Diaz Free
Aaron Wan-Bissaka Loan w/ option to buy for £25m

I'd be quite happy with that. Terrier can play centrally as well as on the left, bullish striker with good feet and an eye for a goal. I think he'd fit well with Neto and Guedes in a free flowing, interchanging front three. French league is fairly physical and he's a big lad so shouldn't have any problems adapting to PL football.

Diaz as a low risk, high reward option if he can stay healthy and rediscover the form he showed at Lyon a few years ago when he started regularly. He's out of contract in the summer and Madrid have been trying to offload him for a while.

AWB out of favour at Man United as Dalot is preferred, and they've also got Brandon Williams so I could see them willing to let him go on loan as he won't be happy warming their bench. Not as attacking as Lopetegui would traditionally like, but very good defensively and would help shore us up in that regard, also has the stamina to get up and down in the wingback role if Julen uses the same attacking 3-4-3 he used with Sevilla.

Dawson would be excellent backup/competition if West Ham finally let him go, already rumoured he wants to move further back up north closer to his home to reduce the commute. Cheap, old but valuable.

All players we've either been linked with (Dawson/Terrier/Diaz) or heavily linked with moves away in January (AWB).
Awb has been linked with a move back to palace on loan. On something like 80 grand a wik.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awb has been linked with a move back to palace on loan. On something like 80 grand a wik.
So probably £1.5m~ in wages, and a loan fee on top of that, helps us and helps them. If he does well, he's only turning 25 in a couple of weeks. Feels like it would be a shrewd investment as it would take some pressure off Collins/Kilman having a right back that can hold their own in a one-on-one.

floydstreet

Reaction score
A fantasy I would imagine. Not a likleyhood, given the summer spend and subsequent return on that investment.
Let’s assume the biggest outlay this summer, doesn’t stay beyond one season and leaves in the summer. That would essentially be minimal nett spend this summer after zero nett spend for two seasons. Hardly throwing money at it.

Pretty sure Lopetegui isn’t risking his reputation on a relegation scrap with no investment. The change will be that the investment is as a result of fosun sale or gaining investment into the club

Nivada

Reaction score
Anything’s worth a try haha.

Been looking at YouTube videos of him. Looks very very good.

Saying that, the YouTube videos of most of the players we have signed look good. I actually think there’s a force field type of thing and as soon as a good player steps onto Waterloo road they immediately become ****
Need to remember the vids are nothing but highlight reels

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm guessing

Craig Dawson- West Ham -CB
Oliver Torres- Sevilla-AM
Álvaro Odriozola -Real Madrid- RB
Mariano Daiz- Real Madrid-ST

Add Lucas Ocampos to this.

Barley playing for Ajax on loan. Think Ajax and Sevilla would accept the loan ending and him being sold to us.

Sa
Odriozola Dawson Kilman Hugo
Neves Nunes
Guedes Torres Ocampos
Mariano

Back
Top Bottom