Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are going nowhere without a proper No.9. Hobbs,and co failed, admittedly with their hands tied behind their back financially. The failures of Guedes and Silva in particular is what has really cost us, over £62m wasted. Then there is Hoe-
ver so another £10m plus wasted and Podence, Chiquinho allowed out and seemingly with no future with us. Mosquera is the only potential bright spark for the future If he does well at Villareal.
So we will limp towards the line with Hwang to come back thankfully. But this January all that has been achieved is some savings on the wage bill.
We are weaker squad-wise and despite Gary's heroics covering the cracks for Fosun,
the thinness of this squad is there for all to see.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't compete with Fulham.....sums up FOSUN'S ownership nowadays. I look forward to the day they sell up.

Honestly, you lot are a bunch of immature pantwetters.
We can't match Fulham based on our previous financial management and current standing within the rules, it has nothing to do with the amount of money Fosun could spend.....and we already knew this !

Fulham are 4 points worse off than we are. Jimenez is going to be out "for weeks" with his hamstring and the rest of their strikers are absolute garbage. We know what hamstrings are like for young players, let alone older ones who are tightening up....and for Fulham to say it looks quite serious could mean he's out for months.
Fulham HAD to pay over the odds, it would have been criminal if they hadn't.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats 2 very disappointing transfer windows in a row now, there absolutely can not be a third. As much as I’ve enjoyed our tilt at the financial fair play trophy.

In truth, I sort of resigned myself a few weeks ago to exactly this happening e.g. that we’d make a few late moves that wouldn’t pan out. We were clearly very limited financially (and not the only ones), but I’d hoped my concerns would be proved unfounded ultimately.

Lets pray we get some luck with injuries till the end of the season, but O’Neil must be backed properly in the summer. No excuses. 3/4 good players he wants must be brought in and any first team player leaving for decent money needs replacing.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
disappointed we couldn’t add one up top, purely for strength in depth as the way we play is energy sapping at times.

we knew january was going to be tight again, but I do wonder financially how we sit at the moment.

To go from £35-£40m outlays for three different players in recent years (2 of which not here!) to not being able to afford a loan striker worries me more than anything.

If GON says Silva and Sasa weren’t going to play much then that is that, he’s said what he thinks and he’s the manager.

the proof of the pudding is the summer. While i don’t expect massive outlays, i hope we are in a position to at least refresh and compete in the market for the 3 we will need

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Would have been nice to get a centre forward in, but with the financial situation I get why we haven’t. No point playing silly buggers with Chelsea or the Brazilian lad’s agent. The current group will get us through to the summer and then we can have a look at the market.

Apart from Broja and Ekitike who we looked at I don’t think there’s a striker moved this window who we “should have been all over” as people like to say.

Fairly relaxed about the whole thing.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All these clubs with bigger wages and spending more than us why haven't they sold players ???? . Summer one liners at the ready for Hobbs and Shi we are looking to paint the stands this summer so the transfers budget is 500k

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a shame we haven't tried to make this season more than just avoiding relegation. Won't be long before players like Cunha will want to leave

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The spending overall is massively down. We scored three yesterday so a number 9 is important but not the end if the world

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have been nice to get a centre forward in, but with the financial situation I get why we haven’t. No point playing silly buggers with Chelsea or the Brazilian lad’s agent. The current group will get us through to the summer and then we can have a look at the market.

Apart from Broja and Ekitike who we looked at I don’t think there’s a striker moved this window who we “should have been all over” as people like to say.

Fairly relaxed about the whole thing.
Summed up perfectly.....

Timberrrr

Reaction score
We all fell for it again.no one signed,same old excuses.you can't shop in waitrose on poundland money.....serious question though,millions made and saved on sales and wages saved,so how much do you reckon they'll put season ticket prices up by?.....aswell as the inevitable sale of neto

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely ok with what we have. We aint going down and we are not quite good enough for top 8 so happy to stay clear of any problems and go again in the summer. No one spent much so not a big disaster not getting a 9 in. Liked Fraser's contribution last night, we also have hwang, neto, cunha, sarabia, bellegarde and Chiwera to play in that front 3 so plenty of cover for the last 17 games. Saying that this summer is the biggest transfer window since we came up imo esp if we lose neto

surreywolf

Reaction score
Congratulations Mr Shi and Mr Hobbs.

I agree JOS - despite being on track for 10 point deduction, they sorted our finances and we’re now 3 or 4 wins from safety. Hopefully achieveable with Hwang back and Fraser on bench

With Fosun not in a great place, no extra money lying around and no new moneybags owners (who couldn’t spend anyway because of restrictions) they’ve done very well

Get through these bumpy moments and start building again soon

Congratulations Mr Shi and Mr Hobbs indeed

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a **** up of a window, no doubt about that. GON was obviously given assurances that we’d get someone in when we let Sasa go. It was a gamble that has not paid off. Hopefully we can steer clear of fatigue and injuries from playing the same players for 90 minutes every game.

Well looks like we have another manager told they could strengthen and “the goalposts” were moved again….

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really sure what people expected.
This January window is basically just the second half of last summer’s window, so if there was no money then there’d be non now. Only way we could get a decent player in is if the selling club bent over backwards to help us with the structure of the deal. That takes things out of our hands.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we he said he didn’t, so he’s lying?!

It isn’t lying in fairness if he’d not wanted both to leave.

Those questions are so loaded to catch the manager out, he says he would have kept them it is then phrased or twisted to say he is at odds with the owners, he also then has it twisted his left over options aren’t good enough, another bad thing for morale.

I felt for him being asked that, it is a loaded question from a loaded shotgun in front of the world media.

Guy was in a lose lose situation, so sometimes a diplomatic answer while not their true feelings are said. The interviews have to be the worst part of the job with journalists judged on YouTube views and clicks online.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There has been very little money spent by any clubs in the premier league. Even the Sky six have kept their money in their pocket. I don’t know what people expected, Wolves were never going to spend big in January. A couple of moves for strikers fell through, so Gary O’Neil is stuck with the same players who have brought excitement back to the fans. There is nothing to panic about, we have a good manager, with some very good players who never know when they are beaten.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Borja, Ekitike etc chose other destinations I am fine with that. I want players that want to play for us. That doesn't mean Wolves fans but buy in to the club.

Absolutely spot on. There have been enough players recently who came to Molineux, but clearly didn’t want to. Get players in who want to wear the shirt.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure what else Shi (and Fosun) were expected to do. They’ve spent huge sums in recent years (some success and some fails like every club), but given what has unfurled this season with FFP, they’ve done exactly the right thing imo. Imagine this board if we’d been spending in the summer and then hit with 10 point deduction. Perspective…

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“I don’t know what people expected”… just to get a striker in to replace the ones we let go? Like our manager has been saying since mid December? Nobody is clamouring for a big money signing, just some cover? And nobody is panicking either. It’s not a disaster, just disappointing.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From The Athletic:

“As part of the deal, Fulham will pay Chelsea a loan fee of up to £4million, however, that could potentially drop to zero after a certain number of appearances.”

Excellent business by Fulham.

£4m as worst case scenario. £0 at best.

On the basis he is highly likely to play, as he would here, it will be closer to £0.

If we had Broja he would be on as a sub in every game at least. If one of Hwang, Neto, Cunha got injured/lost form, high probability he starts every game.

So we would’ve ended up not paying much for him either.
Fulham have to start Broja in 10 league games to get this loan to be a free.

Who would you have dropped out of Cunha, Hwang and Neto?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said last night, while disappointed with the window, we are definitely not alone. Sky reporting that total PL spend in January was 96m compared with 780m for the prior January window. That means this Jan was barely 1/8 of the spend of last Jan.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn’t lying in fairness if he’d not wanted both to leave.

Those questions are so loaded to catch the manager out, he says he would have kept them it is then phrased or twisted to say he is at odds with the owners, he also then has it twisted his left over options aren’t good enough, another bad thing for morale.

I felt for him being asked that, it is a loaded question from a loaded shotgun in front of the world media.

Guy was in a lose lose situation, so sometimes a diplomatic answer while not their true feelings are said. The interviews have to be the worst part of the job with journalists judged on YouTube views and clicks online.
we can’t have it both ways.

He says he’s disappointed so we accept that.

He says they weren’t going to play regardless and we don’t?

Selective.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“I don’t know what people expected”… just to get a striker in to replace the ones we let go? Like our manager has been saying since mid December? Nobody is clamouring for a big money signing, just some cover? And nobody is panicking either. It’s not a disaster, just disappointing.
as i said earlier on, im more worried about how bad the finances are.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointment should not lead to knee jerk reactions and calls for CEO/Fosun to go though imo. It happens. We are reasonably comfortable this season so let’s be together as a collective, show solidarity and support and see how this plays out come summer.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We now cant compete with Fulham. Says it all really. I hope the ticket prices reflect the clubs ambition this coming summer but I highly doubt it somehow. FFP is an issue but when we no longer have this excuse this summer I can see other excuses for another thin squad and lack of investment.

Quite simply our spending on Fabio, Guedes, Cutrone; and the loan fees for Trincao, Vallelejo and Jesus and the failure to sell or even get a loan fee for Adama have shafted us. And that is on Jeff Shi.
I suspect that Hobbs is also tearing is hair out, but he is operating with both hands tied behind his back and the small change is a very long way down the pockets.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yet another window when we fail to bring the striker we so obviously need, and loan out a load of players before having any replacements. I can't believe we've got away with it for so long and that it hasn't cost us (yet)!

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what GON's prevailing thought is this morning - still totally grateful for the job and being free from any pressure in terms of targetted league place. Or hugely disappointed that he cannot progress the team?

The Summer is going to be very interesting now we are (should be) in a great financial position. Especially if his stock continues to rise as it has done this season.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too let two strikers depart and not bring anyone in is not a great look in my opinion. GON being optimistic we would get a replacement in all january is eerily reminiscent of Lage .

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Got to be honest i am well ****ed off with this window...wasnt expecting much but def didnt expect this

GON said he wouldnt let Sasa go without a replacement...Hobbs said we would get better players closer to the end of the window and we end up scrambling

There are at least 2 strikers signed this window with an option not obligation by PL teams this window..why did we only approach Yuri with 2 days left ?!

It seems it was Broja or no one

I saw this on twitter...i havent fact checked it but it seems correct and sums up a lot

Jan Outs: Guedes new loan, Silva loan, Kalajdzic loan, Cundle new loan, Mosquera new loan, Campbell new loan, Moulden new loan, Lembikisa new loan, Young loan Hesketh loan, McLeod loan, Corbeanu Perm, Jonny Perm

Ins: Lemina (loan) - 18yr old

Admittedly most wouldnt have been used, i still think Sasa should have stayed, he offered goals and got us points as a sub

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom