Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
I do understand the disappointment about lack of striker signings (again) but, I think (definitely not ITK) that:
  • At the start of the season survival was the only priority and GON was given (and accepted) that brief
  • We are still closer to FFP/PSR problems than we would like so have very little head room to bring people in when loan fees and reasonable wages are a factor
  • We loaned Sasa and Silva out not just because they don't fit GON's style/ formation, but because we needed to get their wages off the books as well as put them in the shop window to sell.
  • GON may be looking up the table, but Jeff is probably thinking, " we look like we are going to be safe, therefore no need to ruin the FFP/PSR position unnecessarily
  • European qualification is not a realistic a possibility so stability and not upsetting the accounts is a good thing.
It is what it is, and it is a damn site better than I thought possible at the start of the season, and I would not be surprised if we slipped a couple of places as players lose form, get suspended or injured and we have to play inexperienced/ young reserves. I dont think we will go down, though and we should be financially stable enough to go again in the summer!
My 2p worth!
Great post. Plus Gary wanted a particular type of forward (s) - one that fitted in with the mobile front 3 who can press. That probably does whittle it down to players that ended up outside our willingness to pay / commit to.

DJW

Reaction score
Sure... but he's under contract. With more play time, Sasa could've possibly been happier.
Instead he was getting 2 or 3 minutes here and there. Bad man management from GON IMO.
Think that's a bit harsh on GON. Although I think that possibly due to GON having little 'credit in the bank' and needing to win the fans over, he probably played his strongest 11 when ever he could. Therefore didn't rotate as much as he perhaps should have.
Given our relatively safe position now I would have expected to see more of Sasa in the remaining games.
Sometimes it's preferable to rotate players to keep them fresh even if its not the best starting11 on paper. Now he has the luxury of fans support to do so, but sadly not the players (strikers).

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do understand the disappointment about lack of striker signings (again) but, I think (definitely not ITK) that:
  • At the start of the season survival was the only priority and GON was given (and accepted) that brief
  • We are still closer to FFP/PSR problems than we would like so have very little head room to bring people in when loan fees and reasonable wages are a factor
  • We loaned Sasa and Silva out not just because they don't fit GON's style/ formation, but because we needed to get their wages off the books as well as put them in the shop window to sell.
  • GON may be looking up the table, but Jeff is probably thinking, " we look like we are going to be safe, therefore no need to ruin the FFP/PSR position unnecessarily
  • European qualification is not a realistic a possibility so stability and not upsetting the accounts is a good thing.
It is what it is, and it is a damn site better than I thought possible at the start of the season, and I would not be surprised if we slipped a couple of places as players lose form, get suspended or injured and we have to play inexperienced/ young reserves. I dont think we will go down, though and we should be financially stable enough to go again in the summer!
My 2p worth!
i guess the repost to this would be if we were so tight against FFP why do we go for corinthians striker and Broja? because surely then you dont bother.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Sometimes it's preferable to rotate players to keep them fresh even if its not the best starting11 on paper. Now he has the luxury of fans support to do so, but sadly not the players (strikers).
I completely agree with that. Both Fabio and Sasa deserved more minutes, especially when chasing games.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will use three subs max once hwang is back.

Bellegarde sarabia doc and between Doyle and gomes

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would rather have Fabio starting as a Forward than Bellegarde.
Whos more likely to score and bring more to the game ?
That's right , that's why Silva is at Rangers on their bench . Recent reports from their fans suggest he has the touch of an elephant .......theyre right .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good lord no
I don't think bellegarde would make it as a centre forward at any level of football. He hasn't got any of the attributes to do the role.
Might be a top winger, in the same way podence or helder Costa was, but centre forward he isn't.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whos more likely to score and bring more to the game ?
That's right , that's why Silva is at Rangers on their bench . Recent reports from their fans suggest he has the touch of an elephant .......theyre right .
Fabio. Bellegarde hasn't scored significantly anywhere in his career. He is a weaker in the air, less physical albeit quicker. Is his pressing any better? I'm not sure.
It's a completely nonsensical move, like putting podence up there in the past.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it seems the hierarchy are happy with a wafer thin squad. I very much hope this doesnt backfire on them. If we get an injury list like Newcastle and some other clubs have had we would be absolutely stuffed. I just never understand the approach of our powers that be to let our squad get so light at so many different times over the last few years. It cost us a few years ago when we loaned out Adama and left the squad weaker.

As it stands I would say we must have the smallest squad of senior pros in the Premier League. Not good at all for a club that has been in this league for 6 seasons now.

I am sure ONeil said he was confident the squad would be stronger at the end of the window than it was at the beginning. It is pretty obvious that it now isnt and he must feel and has every right to be very disappointed.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think bellegarde would make it as a centre forward at any level of football. He hasn't got any of the attributes to do the role.
Might be a top winger, in the same way podence or helder Costa was, but centre forward he isn't.
He’ll operate on the left, Cunha will be central with Neto on the right. They’ll also interchange throughout the game.

Fabio has ***** proven he offers next to nothing at all

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio. Bellegarde hasn't scored significantly anywhere in his career. He is a weaker in the air, less physical albeit quicker. Is his pressing any better? I'm not sure.
It's a completely nonsensical move, like putting podence up there in the past.
Bellegarde will play wide . Cunha in the middle .
Face it mate Fabio was crap

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well it seems the hierarchy are happy with a wafer thin squad. I very much hope this doesnt backfire on them. If we get an injury list like Newcastle and some other clubs have had we would be absolutely stuffed. I just never understand the approach of our powers that be to let our squad get so light at so many different times over the last few years. It cost us a few years ago when we loaned out Adama and left the squad weaker.

As it stands I would say we must have the smallest squad of senior pros in the Premier League. Not good at all for a club that has been in this league for 6 seasons now.

I am sure ONeil said he was confident the squad would be stronger at the end of the window than it was at the beginning. It is pretty obvious that it now isnt and he must feel and has every right to be very disappointed.
It is thinner than a waffer thin mint

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

more to this than meets the eye?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i guess the repost to this would be if we were so tight against FFP why do we go for corinthians striker and Broja? because surely then you dont bother.
Corinthians striker because he probably wasn’t on vast wages and it wasn’t a vast fee either, but the finances got buggered up by the agent fees, allegedly.
Broja, no idea, it’s a strange one for me, unless we really thought that no one else was in for him and that Chelsea would relent and agree a loan in the end, and we could afford his wages because Sasa and Silva had gone.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange one isn't it. I'm not overly bothered because we'll obviously be completely fine regardless. It just feels a bit irritating that we probably just need that 1 player to make a genuine push for 7th and we're then relying on something not happening injury wise to Cunha, which would be be catastrophic. Silva and Hodge are no loss, but Sasa leaving becomes more puzzling. Looking at our fixtures as well, after tonight, other than Arsenal, I don't think any side we have left to play at home will finish in the top half this season.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
more to this than meets the eye?

Not sure mate but the squad as a whole must be the smallest in the league now and cover wise in attack we are threadbare. One knock to Cunha or even Neto and it would be an inadequate attack as it stands or players out of position. Also concerning that in reality we have zero credible alternatives to either Neto or Cunha at this time until Hwang is back.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is the senior squad really that thin?

Outfield senior pros:
S Bueno, Kilman, Dawson, Toti
Semedo, Doc, RAN, H Bueno
Pitbull, SuperMario, Doyle, Bouba
Sarabia, Bellegarde, Cunha, Hwang, Neto.

17 competing for 10 places.

Add in (2 at least) youngsters Fraser and Chirewa.

OK, we would probably be stronger with more cover but it isn't "wafer thin" IMV.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is the senior squad really that thin?

Outfield senior pros:
S Bueno, Kilman, Dawson, Toti
Semedo, Doc, RAN, H Bueno
Pitbull, SuperMario, Doyle, Bouba
Sarabia, Bellegarde, Cunha, Hwang, Neto.

17 competing for 10 places.

Add in (2 at least) youngsters Fraser and Chirewa.

OK, we would probably be stronger with more cover but it isn't "wafer thin" IMV.

Zero natural central strikers..

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The squad is without doubt too thin. Key players are running themselves into the ground week in, week out and this will surely take its toll as the games come thick and fast. This window should have addressed this issue. Seriously naive management from Fosun.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs
The squad is without doubt too thin. Key players are running themselves into the ground week in, week out and this will surely take its toll as the games come thick and fast. This window should have addressed this issue. Seriously naive management from Fosun.
Totally agree

Back
Top Bottom