Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly, he knows absolutely nothing about what has gone on behind the scenes and yet calls Hobbs incompetent. How many other teams have bought or loaned a striker? Everyone wants a striker that will improve them and there are lots of moving parts through the window, so why is it okay for some random poster who knows zilch to call our DoF incompetent?
Some random poster could like me be 30 years season ticket holder who has seen us fail to sign a striker since Jimmys injury . And who judges men by their results .

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa and Fabio were obviously not fitting into GONs system for whatever reason
Neither was getting playing time and when they did they looked out of place and just slowed us down in transition
Nothing against either of them and genuinely hope they come good but Fabio has had plenty of chances and failed
Sasa just unlucky with his injury and Hwangs form this season,he needs games and wasnt getting them here
Disappointing we didnt get anyone in,presumably,but if they dont want to come, or fees are too much at this point, then so be it

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON knows the score. After some initial appearances he never used Fabio or Sasa again, and I agreed with that decision, just not good enough. He was never going to play them again and they had started to grumble, so get them off the books. I'm sure he would love a few new faces too, but I think he's also happy with the committed players he has, even if he wants a bit more.

I'm all for balanced conversation. I mean I would like a new striker who fits in too, it's just the unrelenting negativity and stuff like "abysmal" and "down to bare bones" that drives me crazy. Not being held to ransom or unable to buy when most clubs won't sell or loan is not abysmal and we are nowhere near down to the bare bones. I'm sure GON understands that too, partcularly in this current FFP climate and won't be whining on about it to Hobbs. We have Cunha, Neto, Hwang, Bellegarde and Fraser fighting for three places. We have Traore, Joao Gomes, Doyle, Lemina fighting for two places. The sky won't fall in I if we don't get a striker this window and GON won't be doing an interview with Guillem Balague to complain about it either. I have no doubt that Hobbs and GON are on the same page with this and understand the situation.
I couldn’t agree more, let’s see how we end the season, have a moan if we miss Europe by goal difference or not

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you suggest who is available and their club is willing to sell or loan?

Ben Brereton Diaz.
Vitinha.
Hugo Ekitike.
David Okereke.
Andrea Belotti.
Faris Moumbagna.
Chris Bedia.
Gift Orban.
Sheraldo Becker.
David Fofana.
Georges Mikautadze.

Not that it's our job, but all of those players left their clubs either on loan or for low fees which would be in our bracket, perhaps with the exception of Orban who cost £11m, although that's around £2.2m a year over a contract. I'd be shocked if we couldn't afford that.

Anyway, all of those players are better than Nathan Fraser right now. All would have done a job, and, as mentioned, the majority went on loan with an option, so it wouldn't have been a big commitment.

Of course, our scouts should have more options around the world.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that why we haven’t bought a number 9 for seven windows ? WWFC do your research ! Don’t leave it until the afternoon of deadline day . We managed to get Sasa and Silva out the window early .
Cos people wanted them and we didn’t feel they were going to play over any of the options we already had at the club

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ben Brereton Diaz.
Vitinha.
Hugo Ekitike.
David Okereke.
Andrea Belotti.
Faris Moumbagna.
Chris Bedia.
Gift Orban.
Sheraldo Becker.
David Fofana.
Georges Mikautadze.

Not that it's our job, but all of those players left their clubs either on loan or for low fees which would be in our bracket, perhaps with the exception of Orban who cost £11m, although that's around £2.2m a year over a contract. I'd be shocked if we couldn't afford that.

Anyway, all of those players are better than Nathan Fraser right now. All would have done a job, and, as mentioned, the majority went on loan with an option, so it wouldn't have been a big commitment.

Of course, our scouts should have more options around the world.
Right and you know for certain we didn't look at these and go, 'nah, not for us.'

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Gary wanted and clearly expected a number 9- he made no secret of it. The club failed to provide one- they made no secret of the various reasons why they couldn't deliver.

Job done. Everyone looks like they are lacking in control/competence and it's clear as day none of them are talking to each other.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do you gladly have a dig at posters when O'Neil has said the same thing? Genuine question, by the way.

O'Neil has said time and time again that the squad is not how he would like, and that we are short for attacking options. Is he a pant wetter? Should he have the banner out tonight?
Not actually what he said though is it?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary wanted and clearly expected a number 9- he made no secret of it. The club failed to provide one- they made no secret of the various reasons why they couldn't deliver.

Job done. Everyone looks like they are lacking in control/competence and it's clear as day none of them are talking to each other.
Haha, you're not serious are you? :D

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right and you know for certain we didn't look at these and go, 'nah, not for us.'
Where did I say that?

The poster was implying it was hard to get deals done. I have named 10 players or whatever it is, that would've improved us.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where did I say that?
Your presumption is Wolves could have signed someone, my response is what proof do you have that Wolves scouts have not viewed those listed players and decided that they weren't what was wanted or what was viable under the current constraints?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not? Are you laughing at Wolves? You are happy that Gary hasn't got what he has called for since November?
Oh, damn, you're serious.

Damn, Gary has been blindsided by his own decision, guess that it then, guess he's off.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Oh, damn, you're serious.

Damn, Gary has been blindsided by his own decision, guess that it then, guess he's off.
You think it was his decision to loan two strikers and not get any in?

Only you have concluded he's off.

Sc91 thinks Gary is leaving everyone!

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you just know we are going to pick up an injury tonight and have zero replacement time.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do understand the disappointment about lack of striker signings (again) but, I think (definitely not ITK) that:
  • At the start of the season survival was the only priority and GON was given (and accepted) that brief
  • We are still closer to FFP/PSR problems than we would like so have very little head room to bring people in when loan fees and reasonable wages are a factor
  • We loaned Sasa and Silva out not just because they don't fit GON's style/ formation, but because we needed to get their wages off the books as well as put them in the shop window to sell.
  • GON may be looking up the table, but Jeff is probably thinking, " we look like we are going to be safe, therefore no need to ruin the FFP/PSR position unnecessarily
  • European qualification is not a realistic a possibility so stability and not upsetting the accounts is a good thing.
It is what it is, and it is a damn site better than I thought possible at the start of the season, and I would not be surprised if we slipped a couple of places as players lose form, get suspended or injured and we have to play inexperienced/ young reserves. I dont think we will go down, though and we should be financially stable enough to go again in the summer!
My 2p worth!

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So why not line up a replacement
We did but the ones we fancied were linked to others I presume and the clubs owning them may have wanted to see what happened during the window before wanting to release them. It’s easy to get rid of poor players and harder to bring in better than you have and certainly at what level we were wanting to. We didn’t ‘need’ replacements for those we let go, we wanted them im sure in an ideal world but letting two go who were just not going to play at all has had no effect on the group he does want to choose from.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do understand the disappointment about lack of striker signings (again) but, I think (definitely not ITK) that:
  • At the start of the season survival was the only priority and GON was given (and accepted) that brief
  • We are still closer to FFP/PSR problems than we would like so have very little head room to bring people in when loan fees and reasonable wages are a factor
  • We loaned Sasa and Silva out not just because they don't fit GON's style/ formation, but because we needed to get their wages off the books as well as put them in the shop window to sell.
  • GON may be looking up the table, but Jeff is probably thinking, " we look like we are going to be safe, therefore no need to ruin the FFP/PSR position unnecessarily
  • European qualification is not a realistic a possibility so stability and not upsetting the accounts is a good thing.
It is what it is, and it is a damn site better than I thought possible at the start of the season, and I would not be surprised if we slipped a couple of places as players lose form, get suspended or injured and we have to play inexperienced/ young reserves. I dont think we will go down, though and we should be financially stable enough to go again in the summer!
My 2p worth!

I think you're spot on and I count myself very lucky GON has given us a little something to be excited about this season, because otherwise the above doesn't exactly looks like the sort of ambition to get fans off their seat..

Back
Top Bottom