Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not too disappointed tbh, would have liked Yuri but doubt he would of settled before end of the season anyway, def not fussed about Broja esp on the terms Chelsea wanted. Get Hwang back and keep that fluid 3 and then jump on the recruitment in the summer

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure of its been mentioned, but Fulhams Broja deal is apparently 4m loan AND a guarantee to play him X number of games when fit.

Looking at our squad spirit we'd be daft to bring someone in on that deal.

Absolutely and just like with the agents fee for Yuri Alberto, I can understand their reluctance to do the deal.
What I just don't get I'd, why is it so difficult for us to bring in a striker while Frankfurt had it very easy getting Sasa in early.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure of its been mentioned, but Fulhams Broja deal is apparently 4m loan AND a guarantee to play him X number of games when fit.

Looking at our squad spirit we'd be daft to bring someone in on that deal.
At no point has Broja looked a good deal. So why leave it as our only option on deadline day !!! It’s ****kng stupid

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Each place in the Premier League is worth about £2.2m I think, so I guess you have to ask would signing Broja make us finish 2 or more places better off? Personally I'm ok with Wolves not wasting £4m on a 6 month loan. Still disappointed in not getting a striker in when we've let 2 leave this window.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is what annoys me. Who gives a **** if Sasa doesn't suit our style? He scored 2 winners for us already this season.
Keep him here, bring him off the bench, give him more than 5 minutes per game. Makes no ****ing sense.
Well, Sasa gives a ****. Sasa's agent gives a ****. Everyone saw that the club and the player were at an edge case, and the club did the human thing with him. He's a lot happier now, I am sure. In a way, it's an investment. I am sure it also helps squad harmony.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We only only don’t play with a number 9 because for 7 windows we haven’t bought one ! Yet we have needed one for most of that time .
GON isn't playing with a 9 and yet goalscoring is fine.

Could it improve? Yes. But this is the most Wolves have scored since...?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much this, O'Neil isn't playing Neto as a false 9 out of choice, it's the only thing he can do.
And what a waste of £40 million player Ditto Cunha . And to a lesser extent Sarabio , Bellegarde and Hwang who are all played out of position if played as a central striker . Brainless or what ?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's key to mention that we didn't use Sasa for two key reasons:

- We were winning
- Hwang was fit

Most would agree that Sasa isn't really needed when we're winning as he's not ideally suited to a team that are winning, as you're generally counter-attacking.

There's two potential games where Sasa could've come on, but O'Neil chose not to.

- Forest at home
- West Ham away

You could argue a point was a decent result against Forest at the time. We were looking to pull clear, so O'Neil took a more defensive approach and decided to 'stick' rather than twist. I was a bit annoyed at the time, I thought we should've been braver, but a point wasn't a terrible result.

West Ham was a strange one. However, we were two down early on, and then maybe the disallowed goal, which came from good football, convinced O'Neil to give the current setup a bit longer. Then, when it's 3-0, it's game over so who cares, game over.

Other than that, Sasa was used at virtually every other realistic opportunity.

Even without playing well individually, he won a challenge that lead to the penalty at Fulham for us. He was on the pitch when we got the two goals against Spurs.

We also have the two winners he scored.

So there's a lot to suggest that he would've played in the past few games when Hwang was away, and he certainly would've featured had we been chasing a game.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their owner is basically going “if I get done for speeding, I’d rather get caught doing 85 in a 30 zone than 35 in a 30”.
The other thing is, if the Jan signings gain him (NF) 10 points, and they get deducted 10 points but stay out of the drop zone.... job done.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attacking wise we have Neto, hwang, cunha, sarabia, lemina, Bellegarde and Fraser for 3 positions?
None are central attackers (bar Fraser who really isn’t yet a Championship player) and are wasted playing there . A classic case of mismanagement of natural resources.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely and just like with the agents fee for Yuri Alberto, I can understand their reluctance to do the deal.
What I just don't get I'd, why is it so difficult for us to bring in a striker while Frankfurt had it very easy getting Sasa in early.
We must have had a very small shortlist of strikers, and put all our eggs in those baskets, and that's that.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
Well, Sasa gives a ****. Sasa's agent gives a ****. Everyone saw that the club and the player were at an edge case, and the club did the human thing with him. He's a lot happier now, I am sure. In a way, it's an investment. I am sure it also helps squad harmony.
Sure... but he's under contract. With more play time, Sasa could've possibly been happier.
Instead he was getting 2 or 3 minutes here and there. Bad man management from GON IMO.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
At no point has Broja looked a good deal. So why leave it as our only option on deadline day !!! It’s ****kng stupid
Who would you suggest who is available and their club is willing to sell or loan?

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They agreed a deal to sign Yuri Alberto, but Agents ****ed them over. It wasn't the only option.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O’Neil is eager to sign a number nine but the head coach has revealed #Wolves are also chasing a second attacker before the window closes at 11pm tomorrow.

It is understood that position could be a winger/a player who can play across the front line.

“I would expect somewhere between none and two deals to be done on top of Noha, between now and the close of the window,”

“I would love it to be two but there’s a possibility they end up being too tricky and it ends up being none.”

via Liam Keen #WWFC
That is such BS

oooft, no wonder we want nothing to do with it
Sack that off.

Completely undermines the agency of the loaning club almost as if they want Fulham to mess up / lose / transgress FFP.

See ya wouldn’t wanna Broja

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All credit to GON who doesn’t deserve to have the rug pulled from underneath him by Hobbs incompetennce .!
If players don’t either want to come or their clubs demand ridiculous fees for short term deals what can we do? We’ve been managing a delicate financial issue and got through it without being penalised.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If players don’t either want to come or their clubs demand ridiculous fees for short term deals what can we do? We’ve been managing a delicate financial issue and got through it without being penalised.
Is that why we haven’t bought a number 9 for seven windows ? WWFC do your research ! Don’t leave it until the afternoon of deadline day . We managed to get Sasa and Silva out the window early .

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you suggest who is available and their club is willing to sell or loan?
I love when people say stuff like this, as if a random poster on a forum not being able to come up with a name is a valid justification for a Premier League football club to not have come up with targets within its budget.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sure... but he's under contract. With more play time, Sasa could've possibly been happier.
Instead he was getting 2 or 3 minutes here and there. Bad man management from GON IMO.
We just disagree on Sasa. I think the first half of the season was absolutely best-case scenario with him. He's not close to fit.

Watch him for Frankfurt. He can't stay on his toes for more than a few seconds at a time.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The forwards within our budget clearly weren’t good enough and the ones we wanted that were good enough weren’t in our budget, ultimately.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I love when people say stuff like this, as if a random poster on a forum not being able to come up with a name is a valid justification for a Premier League football club to not have come up with targets within its budget.
Exactly, he knows absolutely nothing about what has gone on behind the scenes and yet calls Hobbs incompetent. How many other teams have bought or loaned a striker? Everyone wants a striker that will improve them and there are lots of moving parts through the window, so why is it okay for some random poster who knows zilch to call our DoF incompetent?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just this second spoke with Hobbs, “wait and see “ was his somewhat guarded response to my question regarding signings
Great let’s hope there not too much waiting . It’s getting late . Che Adams would do me fine .

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
an
We must have had a very small shortlist of strikers, and put all our eggs in those baskets, and that's that.

Yes it seems like that..
Its not pulling out of those deals that seems unreasonable. In fact it seems sensible..

It's that there seems to be no alternative. And I don't get the "There aren't many PL levek strikers available ".

Maybe not, but at the moment if Cunha gets inured we've to play a striker, who we prepared to send out to League One..

Back
Top Bottom