Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about Saudi player
Habib diallo, was linked all i know, who knows if we move. Hes just finished at afcon with senegal, would be quick turn around to get him in on loan, but he wasnt happy at saudi. Maybe him being knocked out allows something.

Broja links still there,m we are more interested than fulham, but fulham were knocked back for a 25m obligation

we havent bid

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Habib diallo, was linked all i know, who knows if we move. Hes just finished at afcon with senegal, would be quick turn around to get him in on loan, but he wasnt happy at saudi. Maybe him being knocked out allows something.

Broja links still there,m we are more interested than fulham, but fulham were knocked back for a 25m obligation

we havent bid
Good thing will come for us

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hasn’t Hobbs /GON already said it’s unlikely anyone coming in
implied, that two deals were lined up finances limited, plan b and thats about it, will continue working on it, but if no one comes in, i have a great bunch of lads

i think its prbably a 5% chance something comes in now, deadline day can help with panic on ends of teams like chelsea and others for FFP, etc but we will see.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If money is still tight it’s vital we don’t waste any.
A quality number 9 is all we need.

I’d genuinely be happy if we kept all our players just adding a 9; between now and the end of next SUMMER transfer window!
But it needs to be the right player which I don’t imagine we can find on the cheap.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If money is still tight it’s vital we don’t waste any.
A quality number 9 is all we need.

I’d genuinely be happy if we kept all our players just adding a 9; between now and the end of next SUMMER transfer window!
But it needs to be the right player which I don’t imagine we can find on the cheap.
Agreed .But we haven’t kept all our players . And that’s makes us more vulnerable than last month.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant see anyone coming in unless Chelsea dramatically drop demands for Broja,which wont happen
With Hwang and Sarabia coming back soon we just about have enough up front same with midfield with Gomes and Traore back
We really are pushing it for the rest of the season numbers wise though,but guess this FFP business is biting everyone hard

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its very risky not bringing in at least an attacker. We cant flog Neto, Hwang and Cunha into the ground, its asking for trouble.
They will use fraser and bellegarde, its why fraser hasnt been allowed to leave

If you see fraser get linked to loans as we get to deadline day chances are we are bringing someone in, equally if hes not in the matchday squad for united, that would be telling to

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not going to help if they are the only replacements. One is more an inconsistent attacking midfield player than a genuine forward ( as we have seen when he's played higher up ) the other is a nowhere near ready kid. We can get away with using them for a game or two, but when you have Hwang and Neto who have shown in the past they struggle to stay fit its utter stupidity to pin all your hopes on them staying fit.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to help if they are the only replacements. One is more an inconsistent attacking midfield player than a genuine forward ( as we have seen when he's played higher up ) the other is a nowhere near ready kid. We can get away with using them for a game or two, but when you have Hwang and Neto who have shown in the past they struggle to stay fit its utter stupidity to pin all your hopes on them staying fit.
We must make a profit this tax year and they are loathe to press it to much, when initial target was 17th, expect us to be able to buy in summer, with more offloading of plays once FFP year resets, this will be in July likes of podence etc maybe sasa/fabio to leave,

Chiquinho will come back etc.

There will be sales, for the likes of maybe cundle or hooever, or integrated into the squad

Certain clubs want obligations payable in June which we wont do given FFP

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We must make a profit this tax year and they are loathe to press it to much, when initial target was 17th, expect us to be able to buy in summer, with more offloading of plays once FFP year resets, this will be in July likes of podence etc maybe sasa/fabio to leave,

Chiquinho will come back etc.

There will be sales, for the likes of maybe cundle or hooever, or integrated into the squad

Certain clubs want obligations payable in June which we wont do given FFP
Then quite simply, we should have options that fit the budget, whether thats loans, or players of a bit lesser quality than we would ideally like. Thats what we pay people like Hobbs to do. They know how much we have to work with so if we cant afford a Broja, Adams or Ekitike why are we wasting time and effort looking at that end of the market. We obviously do have some money available, so we should be looking at players in that budget.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a striker signing by thurs looks a real longshot tbh. Be disappointing if/when thats the case, but thankfully the lads have put us in a position where its not critical. I guess you never know though?
It always been a balancing act this window...we probably wanted to look at a long term target who could maybe offer us something beyond the next few months but was restricted with budget .... against just spending on somebody who probably wasn't going to be good enough apart from having another body for a few months...

There has also been a lack of loans happening thus far....the window hasn't opened up like we all thought it might....

Could we do with an Etikike or a Broja definitely yes....do we need any old joey to make the numbers up NO.....

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you see fraser get linked to loans as we get to deadline day chances are we are bringing someone in, equally if hes not in the matchday squad for united, that would be telling to
The transfer window closes less than an hour after our game with United

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
90% this season
Its a sobering thought that this season still allows for player costs to make up 90% of turnover without invoking sanctions.

Getting down to 70% over the next two seasons will involve a monumental effort, when we see how difficult the 90% figure is.

Martin Samuel at the Times has suggested several times that there will be a reduction in some of these demands from the authorities, and that it is, therefore, pointless taking disciplinary action now as the rollback will change the criteria for taking action.

However if you follow the recent long interview with UEFA boss, Ceferin, then it looks as if the very far-reaching implicationsn for elite football with a significant reduction in transfer fees and wages are exactly what is going to happen.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are on the cusp of the top half, not far away from the European places with lots of home games against the “big boys” already out of the way. We have a home tie against a beatable side to make the quarter finals of the FA Cup. We have a manager constantly saying how short of numbers we are and we’ve actively made those numbers even smaller in this window. If we don’t bring anyone in, it’s not a disaster in the context of where we all thought we’d be this season, but it is absolutely going to be a huge disappointment and potentially have a negative effect on what is shaping up to be a very positive season. I still have hope we will get someone, it will be really poor if we don’t imo.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are on the cusp of the top half, not far away from the European places with lots of home games against the “big boys” already out of the way. We have a home tie against a beatable side to make the quarter finals of the FA Cup. We have a manager constantly saying how short of numbers we are and we’ve actively made those numbers even smaller in this window. If we don’t bring anyone in, it’s not a disaster in the context of where we all thought we’d be this season, but it is absolutely going to be a huge disappointment and potentially have a negative effect on what is shaping up to be a very positive season. I still have hope we will get someone, it will be really poor if we don’t imo.
Spot on. 1/2 signings could be the difference between Wembley/Europe and mid-table mediocrity followed by squad depletion.

Surely Fosun see this???

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s slightly unnerving that there’s a distinct lack of pant wetting happening on the forum this window (myself included). Something seems wrong with the universe and I don’t like it.
I completely forgot there was a transfer window open!

• Haha
Reactions: Ned

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. 1/2 signings could be the difference between Wembley/Europe and mid-table mediocrity followed by squad depletion.

Surely Fosun see this???
Yes but they can also see the risk financially. It will also affect future finances. Like everyone else, we're limited by what we can do as well as what others are doing.

Signing a squad player is no guarantee of points and no one is going to be a possible starter other than the couple of better players we're looking at.

This year is about survival, in more ways than one. We're some way off europe and relegation, while cup games are one offs and certainly not worth signing a reserve for. Plus we always lose to Brighton anyway.

I swear people think this is football manager! I'd like one in but there's no panic. A long term view is important after our crazy last 18 months.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing i agree,but understandable if we are tight up against the FFP limits
Everyone must be able to see that with £46 mil and £60 mil plus losses on the books
I know we sold players in the summer but we didnt make massive profits on them bar Neves
The wage bill has gone down but again we bought players in last January that figure as our highest earners pushing it back up again
We almost certainly will have to sell Neto in the summer to give us headroom to buy again
Its not great agreed but its where we are,and other clubs are in a far worse predicament than us

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing i agree,but understandable if we are tight up against the FFP limits
Everyone must be able to see that with £46 mil and £60 mil plus losses on the books
I know we sold players in the summer but we didnt make massive profits on them bar Neves
The wage bill has gone down but again we bought players in last January that figure as our highest earners pushing it back up again
We almost certainly will have to sell Neto in the summer to give us headroom to buy again
Its not great agreed but its where we are,and other clubs are in a far worse predicament than us
In which case we should have kept one of Silva or Sasa, imo. There is obviously some money to spend because GON has said all of December and January until post Brighton that he was confident of getting one or two in.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fraser isn’t rated anywhere near as much by O’Neil as some seem to think.

His only appearance is 20 minutes in a cup tie when we’re losing, so there’s nothing really to lose from O’Neil’s perspective.

He didn’t come on against Brighton or Albion when in both cases the games were tight.

Instead, wingers were preferred.

So unfortunately there’s no evidence at all to suggest he will get game time moving forward. He’ll probably be thrown on if we’re losing as a last roll of the dice.

Is that best for his development? Is that best for us?

People keep forgetting that Sasa’s minutes were limited because Hwang and Cunha stayed fit all the time.

I would say with 100% confidence that with Hwang out, Sasa plays more than the 0 minutes Fraser has got in the past two games if he was still here.

It’s absolutely vital we get a striker.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I've missed this point being raised, my apologies, but looking at the possibility of a fine following on from Sundays antics how would that figure in the accounting/FFS calculations? Looking on the black side, could it be our slender finances may be even more slender that we have calculated so far.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fraser isn’t rated anywhere near as much by O’Neil as some seem to think.

His only appearance is 20 minutes in a cup tie when we’re losing, so there’s nothing really to lose from O’Neil’s perspective.

He didn’t come on against Brighton or Albion when in both cases the games were tight.

Instead, wingers were preferred.

So unfortunately there’s no evidence at all to suggest he will get game time moving forward. He’ll probably be thrown on if we’re losing as a last roll of the dice.

Is that best for his development? Is that best for us?

People keep forgetting that Sasa’s minutes were limited because Hwang and Cunha stayed fit all the time.

I would say with 100% confidence that with Hwang out, Sasa plays more than the 0 minutes Fraser has got in the past two games if he was still here.

It’s absolutely vital we get a striker.

I think it comes down to structure. O'Neil was very open about Cunha when he first started, saying as his no.9, that he needs him to be more disciplined positionally than his natural game maybe wants him to be.

I think that comes with age and experience. We've seen from a few of Fabio's cameos that he was all energy, but not necessarily targeting that energy correctly, instead just going full bull in a china shop and charging around left, right and centre.

If you watch how Cunha plays, he presses well, but he picks when to press and when not to very well too.

Perhaps O'Neil's reluctance to use Fraser and his request for a more experienced no.9 comes from that place too. He wants his 9 to do specific things positionally, to control their pressing in each given scenario. Something that maybe a younger forward struggles to do when the adrenaline and testosterone kicks in!!

Wolf616

Groupie
Reaction score
Here's a question: where does a striker fit in to current set-up? Who is getting dropped? What does the shape look like? I'm not saying we don't need one, I just don't see where we make space. Does Cunha get dropped? Do we move to a back 4 to enable an extra attacker?

Back
Top Bottom