Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His record with Chelsea is appalling.

To be fair to him, he's never had a prolonged run of games for Chelsea.

He's only played 738 minutes of football for them in the PL, across 25 games and spread across 2 years because of his injury. That's just over 8 full games in terms of minutes and he has 2 goals and 2 assists.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there anywhere that shows the difference between leagues? I see a lot of people say this about the foreign leagues being below / at league 1 / 2 level but would be good to know if this was the case.

Not disputing the point just wondering if there's any factual evidence behind it.
There actually is, google is your friend with it.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There actually is, google is your friend with it.
We do best with low risk signings 0-25m bracket and that’s where we will be shopping in the summer. Hobbs has already mentioned this previously.

Comparing leagues is never a true reflection. Messi did poor in France yet one of the best players in the World

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do best with low risk signings 0-25m bracket and that’s where we will be shopping in the summer. Hobbs has already mentioned this previously.

Comparing leagues is never a true reflection. Messi did poor in France yet one of the best players in the World
I’m confused, I haven’t said anywhere we should be paying more than £25 million. Just that linking players in League one/two who are 26 years old is a bit fanciful to expect them to be at the level required. Personally wouldn’t touch a player over 23 from that level and none over 25/26 in the championship as simply they’re as close to the finished article as possible by then, all the coaching in the world isn’t going to improve them a lot by then.

Messi is a really bad example, his age and desire to play in France was the issue as he never wanted to leave Barca. A younger Messi absolutely destroys the French league. I don’t see the problem in comparing leagues in the slightest. For instance do you think the Scottish championship is the same level as the English championship? Should we expect someone in the Scottish version to do well in the English one?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes mate, but then again he had a decent full-back behind him at Barcelona, making him look good ;)
Semedo got better with us under JL & Gaz.

At Barcelona he got ruined by Bayern he was blamed for many goals that night. We turned him into something better. Will he get a new contract or be sold in the summer?

Semedo be worth some cash

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is that true though? Don’t get me wrong we’ve had a few expensive duds, namely Guedes and Silva, but those two are largely down to Mendes.

We’ve also had Cunha, Jimenez, and Nunes (turned a profit). If the right player of that calibre is available, no reason we should hesitate in the summer.

As @WolfLing said, we don’t need a plethora of players in the summer, we need an injection of quality in certain areas, namely a striker and another forward. Maybe a keeper if we decide to move on from Sa.

We're well stocked with quality centre halves, wing backs are performing well, central midfield options are strong. We’re well positioned to make a couple of big splashes in the summer if the right player is identified.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
I don’t see the problem in comparing leagues in the slightest. For instance do you think the Scottish championship is the same level as the English championship? Should we expect someone in the Scottish version to do well in the English one?
No chance its anywhere near that level, as the clubs are far smaller and there's zero cash due to there being very little TV money.

There's always exceptions to the rule, though. Off the top of my head, Snodgrass, Dorrans, James Mccarthy, and James Macarthur were all Scottish First Division players who had good careers in England in the Championship and Premier League. The less said about Jason Cummings the better, although he's now an Aussie international and has played in the World Cup Finals, so he's done alright for himself!

I agree with you on slightly older players from lower leagues being highly unlikely to cut it, though.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m confused, I haven’t said anywhere we should be paying more than £25 million. Just that linking players in League one/two who are 26 years old is a bit fanciful to expect them to be at the level required. Personally wouldn’t touch a player over 23 from that level and none over 25/26 in the championship as simply they’re as close to the finished article as possible by then, all the coaching in the world isn’t going to improve them a lot by then.

Messi is a really bad example, his age and desire to play in France was the issue as he never wanted to leave Barca. A younger Messi absolutely destroys the French league. I don’t see the problem in comparing leagues in the slightest. For instance do you think the Scottish championship is the same level as the English championship? Should we expect someone in the Scottish version to do well in the English one?

McGinn went from middle of the table Hibs to european football with Villa & promotion it can happen. As for Scottish championship I guess there is talent there, probably I do not follow that Scottish soccer

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
McGinn went from middle of the table Hibs to european football with Villa & promotion it can happen. As for Scottish championship I guess there is talent there, probably I do not follow that Scottish soccer
You’re jumping all over the shop here, we were initially talking about players in their mid 20s in leagues one/two in England. McGinn did indeed come from the SPL to play in our championship and there are plenty that have. However that’s not our level now is it? Do you think premier league Aston Villa would sign him now from the SPL? I doubt it.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Broja on loan, with a £20m summer obligation and appearances based add-ons if Chelsea accept that. Can deffo see a decent player in there, needs a run of games in the side, much like Solanki imo.
I've seen him enough, I personally don't rate him. Poor 1st touch and very static. If Sasa didn't fit into our system, neither does Broja.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to go over £20m for Broja, even then I'd have doubts, so would need to be an option to buy to be a good deal in my opinion.

He is someone who has the tools to be a good player. The size, the physicality, can run in behind, and has shown flashes of ability, but I haven't been impressed at all this season when I've seen him, which includes at Molineux.

He even seems to get praise from his time at Southampton but it was only six goals in 32 games, and they were a decent side in terms of they tried to attack, so a striker could do well there. His record with Chelsea is appalling.

It should be said that playing as a striker for Chelsea and for Wolves is completely different for many reasons though, so wouldn't write him off.

Lots of brilliant players (Salah, KDB, Lukaku) didn't settle at Chelsea when they were younger. We may not agree, but I think a lot of people around Broja's age (22) view Chelsea as a massive club, so having come through the ranks there, there would be a lot of pressure and a spotlight on him.

Obviously, we play very differently as well, and against us there's generally more space for us to exploit, so may suit his game a bit more than coming up against defences that often sit deep.

Watched him last night against Boro. While he wasn’t credited with the first goal, as it went in off a Boro defender, to be fair it was really his. Ran around a lot, put himself about, but didn’t contribute a massive amount against a side with a very shaky defence.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched him last night against Boro. While he wasn’t credited with the first goal, as it went in off a Boro defender, to be fair it was really his. Ran around a lot, put himself about, but didn’t contribute a massive amount against a side with a very shaky defence.
Sounds like he 'put a shift in'. The new Keogh? No thanks!! ;)

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance its anywhere near that level, as the clubs are far smaller and there's zero cash due to there being very little TV money.

There's always exceptions to the rule, though. Off the top of my head, Snodgrass, Dorrans, James Mccarthy, and James Macarthur were all Scottish First Division players who had good careers in England in the Championship and Premier League. The less said about Jason Cummings the better, although he's now an Aussie international and has played in the World Cup Finals, so he's done alright for himself!

I agree with you on slightly older players from lower leagues being highly unlikely to cut it, though.
Tierney at Arsenal/Sociedad is another current example. We shouldn't be dismissing an entire nation when the sport is very much about what each individual can achieve within a team framework.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh really? So we should sign more players like Guedes, Fabio Silva, and Patrick Cutrone?! Okay!
You could pretty much name most of the 1st team as a counter to this! All teams make bad buys, our current team is full of pretty awesome buys!

Sa £7m
Kilman £0.2m
Toti £1m
RAN £10m
Neto £10m ish
Chan £14m
Doyle £5m
Lemina £9m

Every single one of them gets sold for a profit tomorrow.

Even the two expensive players, Cunha and Semedo are looking great!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He ran around a lot, much like Fabio then.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Pushing it a bit to say Fabio would gets starts this season in Chelsea side....even if it's not a great Chelsea side....

Oh, I agree. Just saying they have a similar goals to games ratio, spell on loan in Holland etc.

I actually think Broja would do well for us. Loan with an option would be great. Not sure I’d take an obligation at this stage.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. Just saying they have a similar goals to games ratio, spell on loan in Holland etc.

I actually think Broja would do well for us. Loan with an option would be great. Not sure I’d take an obligation at this stage.
Palace are also in for him now as well.....I actually think whoever agrees to the obligation Fulham Palace or us may get it over the line.....that's what Chelsea want for the FFP.....

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could pretty much name most of the 1st team as a counter to this! All teams make bad buys, our current team is full of pretty awesome buys!

Sa £7m
Kilman £0.2m
Toti £1m
RAN £10m
Neto £10m ish
Chan £14m
Doyle £5m
Lemina £9m

Plus we will make a massive profit on Gomes in a few years and even tho we won't make any profit on him Dawson has been worth 10 times what we paid for him this last 12 months

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa £7m
Kilman £0.2m
Toti £1m
RAN £10m
Neto £10m ish
Chan £14m
Doyle £5m
Lemina £9m

To add to that, we overpaid for Semedo at a time we made terrible decisions, but he's doing well at the mo. And Cunha's price was partially to pay for Lopetegui so was never a true reflection of his value (he should have been 20-25). Plus forwards are super expensive anyway.

Current squad is looking a lot better value now than it was isn't it!

Back
Top Bottom