Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFP was brought in to stop another Man City happening.....it's working cause it's stopping Newcastle spending and challenging...

The big old traditional trans don't want the competition and want to keep all the global wealth that come with it......they don't want the poor people or poor teams getting wealth and disrupting there monopoly...so FFP was born....
I agree with that to all, the only other (slight) FFP benefit is while on the whole it does protect the big 6, it also affects them as well and with some careful planning and a bit of luck it’s closing the gap albeit very very slowly.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that to all, the only other (slight) FFP benefit is while on the whole it does protect the big 6, it also affects them as well and with some careful planning and a bit of luck it’s closing the gap albeit very very slowly.
But just as you start getting decent on the pitch as we did under Nuno you are hit with FFP restrictions to knock you back down...it's happening to Villa nw and Newcastle...

Just can't see what benefit football as a whole gets restricting Newcastle current owners from spending...they should be chucking 200m at January to get back up ....that money filters back into the game....the only ones who benefit are Spurs , Arsenal, Liverpool, City etc who are above them in the league.... which was FFP intention.... because it was the big clubs in Europe that wanted it.....most clubs won't ever catch up with them commercially , so won't on the pitch bar an odd slight exception..

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is man city a good thing? I stopped caring as a fan about who wins the league to be honest. Don't really watch their games because they're boring, and again there is no glory to be had there. Always laugh at the few Chelsea fans I see too (I live in Chicago, so I do see a fair few fans of teams with actual followings).

Maybe on the ground it's apparent that their money actually helps...

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is man city a good thing? I stopped caring as a fan about who wins the league to be honest. Don't really watch their games because they're boring, and again there is no glory to be had there. Always laugh at the few Chelsea fans I see too (I live in Chicago, so I do see a fair few fans of teams with actual followings).

Not many things have give me as much pleasure as Man City leaving Man Utd for dust.....the old small club in the city getting one over on them.... obviously wished it was wolves but not to be. .

Was a great end to fergies reign......

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But just as you start getting decent on the pitch as we did under Nuno you are hit with FFP restrictions to knock you back down...it's happening to Villa nw and Newcastle...

Just can't see what benefit football as a whole gets restricting Newcastle current owners from spending...they should be chucking 200m at January to get back up ....that money filters back into the game....the only ones who benefit are Spurs , Arsenal, Liverpool, City etc who are above them in the league.... which was FFP intention.... because it was the big clubs in Europe that wanted it.....most clubs won't ever catch up with them commercially , so won't on the pitch bar an odd slight exception..
Yeah I get that but it does (to an extent) slow them down from pulling further away, or it will now it’s actually being enforced. I suppose it’s yet another thing in football where there’s no ideal answer. I’ve my own ideas on it but it’d never happen. I think the way the prize money for a start is distributed is totally wrong. Why give the team who wins it the most. They should flip it, top club get least running all the way to bottom club getting most.

If they really want sporting integrity anything that levels the playing field works, it’s just that no one wants to vote for that. Spending caps, salary caps etc. I mean totally left field and not sure how you’d do it in football because we have relegation etc but even a version of North American sports with a draft might work.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not many things have give me as much pleasure as Man City leaving Man Utd for dust.....the old small club in the city getting one over on them.... obviously wished it was wolves but not to be. .

Was a great end to fergies reign......
Lol fair enough. I do see how fun it would be to watch man utd fans be miserable.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe they dont want to pay anything for him at this point,and guessing Wolves want some kind of token fee
Also heard they want us to pay his wages lol

Fee we want would probably be equal to his remaining amortised value, which I think would be about 2.78m.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I get that but it does (to an extent) slow them down from pulling further away, or it will now it’s actually being enforced. I suppose it’s yet another thing in football where there’s no ideal answer. I’ve my own ideas on it but it’d never happen. I think the way the prize money for a start is distributed is totally wrong. Why give the team who wins it the most. They should flip it, top club get least running all the way to bottom club getting most.

If they really want sporting integrity anything that levels the playing field works, it’s just that no one wants to vote for that. Spending caps, salary caps etc. I mean totally left field and not sure how you’d do it in football because we have relegation etc but even a version of North American sports with a draft might work.
If it stops the big clubs pulling away further.....then don't worry the rules or a new version of FFP will soon be designed by them clubs. .. just remember it wasn't brought into to stop them clubs ...that wasn't in the PLAN....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it stops the big clubs pulling away further.....then don't worry the rules or a new version of FFP will soon be designed by them clubs. .. just remember it wasn't brought into to stop them clubs ...that wasn't in the PLAN....
Maybe the leftie snowflake in me is a bit misty eyed with it. 4 years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Now I think from FIFA downwards there is a drive to clean up the game. I’m not naive enough to think for a second they want to do that but with the corruption in the game being pointed out by the likes of the FBI there will be a drive to sort it. It’s why I was confident Everton would get a deduction and why I’m confident City will eventually get the book thrown at them. The financial doping in the sport the last two decades has been ridiculous and FFP will (in my opinion) in time sort that. Thing is those at FIFA/UEFA are ruthless pigs in a trough, they’ll happily chuck the likes of city, Barca, United under the wheels of a bus to save themselves and look whiter than white

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont get the hate for City really
They were very similar to us in reality but got lucky to be able to bankroll the team to the top
They went to the third division prior to climbing back,and it took them a long time ,even with their resources to become what they are
Its only really since Pep took the reigns in 2017 that they started to be dominant despite spending hugely since 2008
Had FFP not been around i think Fosun would have tried the same thing, perhaps on a slightly smaller scale, but huge investment non the less
Would we be bleating about money then? I think not

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally don’t think the defensive players as individuals as particularly any worse than that team, just with more attacking threat invariably leads to being more open. We also don’t have two bona fide sitting midfielders now. At times under Nuno neves and Moutinho were so deep they were almost sat on the centre backs toes whereas with Lemina and Gomes both look to get forward more. For me I’ve no issue with the approach as it’s yielding more points than we ever expected under GON and I think on the whole they balance the whole risk v reward conundrum pretty well

Totally agree. There's been at least a couple of goals conceded where a midfielder has been caught out too far forward, removing that cover we used to have. Similarly defenders are venturing forward with carefree abandon compared to the Nuno days. Nobody cares (much) as long as we score more than the opposition, which we now look capable of doing.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They really aren't. Fabio has, multiple times, failed to either impress or deliver at the level that we need someone to contribute at.

Sasa was not GON's choice and hasn't really been used in our current set up. Might they work elsewhere? Yes, they might - Fabio showed a bit of spark in Belgium but, again, it's not PL level. They just weren't working for us ... which means they are not good for our way of playing. Therefore, we haven't lost much in terms of actual contribution.
I think some of Hwang and Cunhas form has come from the fact they had to compete early on to earn their place in the side. Sasa got a couple of goals early in the season. Fabio was starting and rightly lost his place to someone that has come in and been banging them in. I would rather we kept one or the other, until we got a replacement or at least until we know Hwang is back safe and sound.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja was more than adequate when at Southampton, but injury has hit his confidence and fitness. It's going to take a run of games and maybe a pre-season to see if he can get back to those levels - he may not.

I really don't mind taking him on loan with a sensible opting to buy, but I suspect it will be too expensive. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more than £20m. I doubt they will go for that, I think there will be better value available in the summer.

I would rather give a lower league player a chance at the big league. Spend £5m-£6m on some up and coming youngster (like the lad from Plymouth) would be much better value, there would be a market in the championship for someone like that if he didn't work out.
Someone thinks logically

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe the leftie snowflake in me is a bit misty eyed with it. 4 years ago I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Now I think from FIFA downwards there is a drive to clean up the game. I’m not naive enough to think for a second they want to do that but with the corruption in the game being pointed out by the likes of the FBI there will be a drive to sort it. It’s why I was confident Everton would get a deduction and why I’m confident City will eventually get the book thrown at them. The financial doping in the sport the last two decades has been ridiculous and FFP will (in my opinion) in time sort that. Thing is those at FIFA/UEFA are ruthless pigs in a trough, they’ll happily chuck the likes of city, Barca, United under the wheels of a bus to save themselves and look whiter than white
Clean the game up......wasn't the impression I got watching Real Madrid at the weekend...

dnf14

Reaction score

Sounds like a talent to be fair. 6’2 and still growing, quick, calm, can drop a shoulder and pick a pass…
Aren't we hamstrung by not being allowed to sign u18s internationally? City can 'sign' him with Troyes, Girona etc. and he won't turn 18 until after the window closes and I think he'll be in either a multi-club network or a team on the continent by then.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Also this, which I haven’t translated yet

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't we hamstrung by not being allowed to sign u18s internationally? City can 'sign' him with Troyes, Girona etc. and he won't turn 18 until after the window closes and I think he'll be in either a multi-club network or a team on the continent by then.

Was it since we left the EU, that coming here was now classed as an international transfer, so players must be 18? But EU based sides can still sign players from 16?

He's not 18 until after this window shuts, so that's us out of the equation until the summer.

dnf14

Reaction score

PAOK completes a great transfer move with the acquisition of Yoni Casto Otto. The Spaniard is free from Wolves and is coming to Thessaloniki by the end of the week.

PAOK . pushed, had patience, waited and finally achieved the "deal" with Yoni Castro , a great transfer move with the acquisition of an extreme defender who can change the level and offer a lot to the "black and white"
The transfer had reached a critical point . The 29-year-old Spanish full-back was awaiting a response from Wolves on whether to release him or keep him on their roster for the next 18 months.
PAOK was monitoring the case and discreetly pressured the side of the footballer to get a definitive answer as soon as possible.
"We want you, but we must have an answer immediately", was the last message that left Asia Minor to Yoni Castro and his Spanish agent. The two had undertaken to deal with the "wolves" in the financial part of the agreement for the termination of the contract, which was completed in June 2025.
The latest information states that the Spanish back "found it" with Wolves and responded positively to the verbal proposal of "Dikefalos", with whom he has discussed the main parts of the agreement.

On the part of "Dikephalos", the financial part is handled by Maria Goncharova , who is absent due to the personal issue with the death of her father, however, Yoni is expected Thursday or Friday in Thessaloniki for the final discussions and signings.
They make it sound like it's done but it's also said that PAOK haven't an agreement with us yet so they may be jumping the gun a wee bit.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Crack on then!

dnf14

Reaction score
Was it since we left the EU, that coming here was now classed as an international transfer, so players must be 18? But EU based sides can still sign players from 16?

He's not 18 until after this window shuts, so that's us out of the equation until the summer.
An English club signing him might only work if a club submits a deal sheet at the final hour on deadline day so he'll be of age for an hour during the extra 2 hour window to submit relevant paperwork.

Reading that back, it sounds so stupid and contrived that I'm convinced that it'll actually happen now.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I can see all that FFP does is that it stops ambitious clubs with rich owners from being able to threaten the established big clubs in Europe

It is totally anti competitive
Sad thing is though since Chelsea started it for all the success stories of them and City there are a lot more failures

I give you Bolton, Reading, Portsmouth, Hull, Blackpool etc who in hindsight would have wished they remained susitanable if you ask them

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An English club signing him might only work if a club submits a deal sheet at the final hour on deadline day so he'll be of age during the extra 2 hour window to submit relevant paperwork.

Reading that back, it sounds so stupid and contrived that I'm convinced that it'll actually happen now.

Window shuts at 11pm on Thursday 1st Feb. Bergvall was born on 2nd Feb 2006, so as long as he was born any time between 12am and 1am, we're in with a chance!!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad thing is though since Chelsea started it for all the success stories of them and City there are a lot more failures

I give you Bolton, Reading, Portsmouth, Hull, Blackpool etc who in hindsight would have wished they remained susitanable if you ask them

Yeah, EVERYONE always likes trotting out the line about FFP/PSR protecting the traditional big clubs - there's truth in that trope, but it's not that clear cut.

Some form of limit is clearly needed, because

a) clubs go mad and spend too much, crash and burn, and get a succession of increasingly dodgy owners as they freefall
b) or clubs act sustainably, but are weaker than their competitors who are happy to gamble their financial future

dnf14

Reaction score
Window shuts at 11pm on Thursday 1st Feb. Bergvall was born on 2nd Feb 2006, so as long as he was born any time between 12am and 1am, we're in with a chance!!
Just googled that in Swedish folklore, there's a time in the wee hours of the morning called "the hour of the wolf" but alas it's between 3-4am.
It was nearly perfect but... it's over, sadly.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crack on then!

PAOK: The "big move" with Joni is a done deal; the Spanish defender is heading to Thessaloniki.

PAOK exerted pressure, displayed patience, waited, and ultimately succeeded in sealing the deal with Joni Castro, a significant transfer move acquiring a versatile defender capable of elevating the team's performance for the black-and-white club.

The transfer had reached a crucial point. The 29-year-old Spanish defender was awaiting Wolverhampton Wanderers' response on whether they would release him or keep him on their roster for the next 18 months.

PAOK was closely monitoring the situation and discreetly urging the player's side to provide a definitive answer as soon as possible.

"We want you, but we need an answer immediately," was the final message sent from Thessaloniki to Joni Castro and his Spanish agent. They had taken on the task of negotiating with the Wolves on the financial aspects of the agreement for the contract termination, set to conclude in June 2025.

The latest information indicates that the Spanish defender has reached an agreement with Wolves and has positively responded to the verbal offer from "Dikefalos," with whom he has discussed the key terms of the deal.

On the "Dikefalos" side, the financial aspect is being handled by Maria Gkotsarova, who is currently absent due to personal reasons related to the passing of her father. Nevertheless, Joni is expected to arrive in Thessaloniki on Thursday or Friday for the final discussions and signatures.

Back
Top Bottom