Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, don’t think it’s pant wetting to want to have a senior pro as your back up forward, as opposed to couple of kids.

People aren’t asking for Mbappe. Just pointing out we have zero back up if one of our forwards gets injured or suspended. Don’t know how anyone can disagree with that.
People like to belittle the “pant wetters” any time anyone disagrees with an action from the club, always the way.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s settled in Wolverhampton with his pregnant wife. And if we’re that concerned about that, then loan him and keep Fabio around until we find another striker. As long as we have a replacement in by the end of the window it’s all good, but for people to claim we don’t need one is just crazy.
And keep a young player on the bench when he's not getting minutes? When he is arguably desperate for them.

We've got Fraser still, no? We are just after someone to warm the bench, if we believe in this young lad as much as we've been told then up he should step and be ready to go.

I am not overly fussed about the constant need to cover positions in case of injuries, in the end you end up with a bloated squad and numbers that aren't sustainable in keeping everyone happy.

We have an academy, use it.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People keep saying 40 points is the aim this season, yet are happy to loan out a guy who is responsible for 10% of that target in half a season (Sasa’s goals vs Bournemouth and Everton)

I don't think even Sasa himself would make that argument!

I really don't think we've lost much, I doubt either Sasa or Fab would likely have been match fit enough to start either of these next couple of games even had injuries required it, and I assume Hobbs & GON are both confident enough that we will get one of our targets in, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And keep a young player on the bench when he's not getting minutes? When he is arguably desperate for them.

We've got Fraser still, no? We are just after someone to warm the bench, if we believe in this young lad as much as we've been told then up he should step and be ready to go.

I am not overly fussed about the constant need to cover positions in case of injuries, in the end you end up with a bloated squad and numbers that aren't sustainable in keeping everyone happy.

We have an academy, use it.
We don’t believe in him, we’re trying to loan him to Shrewsbury! We have lost a striker in Sasa who has contributed 4 points from the bench, not just someone who warmed it.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think even Sasa himself would make that argument!

I really don't think we've lost much, I doubt either Sasa or Fab would likely have been match fit enough to start either of these next couple of games even had injuries required it, and I assume Hobbs & GON are both confident enough that we will get one of our targets in, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
Yeah I think they must be confident too, and if we get someone by the end of the window then absolutely fine - the gamble has paid off.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t believe in him, we’re trying to loan him to Shrewsbury! We have lost a striker in Sasa who has contributed 4 points from the bench, not just someone who warmed it.
Even Sasa would find that a stretch, and I think it is fair to say that as Fraser hasn't gone yet then that move hinges on what other players are available.

Paying Ings full wage (which is what West Ham want) to sit on the injury table or bench is such a waste, for example.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even Sasa would find that a stretch, and I think it is fair to say that as Fraser hasn't gone yet then that move hinges on what other players are available.

Paying Ings full wage (which is what West Ham want) to sit on the injury table or bench is such a waste, for example.
It’s not a stretch, it’s a fact. He scored two late goals in important games that earned us 4 very important points.

Signing Ings at all is extremely short term thinking that lots of posters on here are praising Hobbs for not doing, especially given his injury record as you said.

As I’ve said, as long as we replace the two players we’ve lost with one striker by the end of the window, I don’t really have an issue. I do think we’ve unnecessarily left ourselves short at the moment though, and disagree with anyone who thinks we don’t need another striker.

We’re going well in the league, we’ve got a home game against a side lower than us in the table and a Championship team between us and the last 16 of the FA Cup, there is plenty left to play for this season. I want to see us making our best effort towards that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s some extreme views on this forward issue and I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I can see the reasoning for letting Sasa and Fabio go as well as the obvious need for a replacement to come in. Personally I’d be very suprised if we didn’t bring someone in before the window shuts and I think with the relatively low game time in between now and the window closing that’s a calculated gamble to an extent. If it means waiting until the last minute to get a forward we want rather than jumping in now and getting one to “make do” then I’m happy for us to wait.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s some extreme views on this forward issue and I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I can see the reasoning for letting Sasa and Fabio go as well as the obvious need for a replacement to come in. Personally I’d be very suprised if we didn’t bring someone in before the window shuts and I think with the relatively low game time in between now and the window closing that’s a calculated gamble to an extent. If it means waiting until the last minute to get a forward we want rather than jumping in now and getting one to “make do” then I’m happy for us to wait.
Agreed. Rush in now and what do we get? People were horrified at the thought of Danny Ings but the reality is that if you want someone in asap that's the standard you are going to get. To get in a forward we actually want and who would improve our team moving forward will take a while. We aren't buying a forward in this window so any loan with an option/obligation is going to be a complex and intense negotiation to get the right deal.

In the meantime i'd rather have a look at what we have in house before bringing in a substandard player from elsewhere just to have bodies in place

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Tbf, don’t think it’s pant wetting to want to have a senior pro as your back up forward, as opposed to couple of kids.

People aren’t asking for Mbappe. Just pointing out we have zero back up if one of our forwards gets injured or suspended. Don’t know how anyone can disagree with that.

It is pant wetting until the window closes tbf.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s settled in Wolverhampton with his pregnant wife. And if we’re that concerned about that, then loan him and keep Fabio around until we find another striker. As long as we have a replacement in by the end of the window it’s all good, but for people to claim we don’t need one is just crazy.
What, leave Fabio behind with Sasa's pregnant wife? Now I am confused.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In theory, that sounds sensible. But how many minutes has Fabio played this season? How many goal contributions has he made? To go further, how many games has Fabio even been in the match day squad? The same could equally be said about Sasa, who I think would “score” more highly across all three measures, but is still in reality, little more than a bench warmer.

I get that in the short term, with the Asia Cup, we are short our leading goal scorer, but even when Hwang hasn’t been available or has been subbed this season, it’s rare if ever that either Fabio or Sasa has come on. The reality is that we do need another forward, but it’s neither Fabio or Sasa at this time, so keeping either here serves little benefit.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We loaned him out without a replacement so he can settle with his pregnant wife, no?

The human side takes presidency over the game, if you claim to be a club that cares for its players then you simply have to make a move such as Sasa.
Think of the human side when 50 people are laid off after relegation. He should have gone after we had a replacement. It's negligent not to arrange a replacement, and if we don't get one then he should stay until the summer and he fights for his place. No other club would leave themselves as exposed as we have done.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think of the human side when 50 people are laid off after relegation. He should have gone after we had a replacement. It's negligent not to arrange a replacement, and if we don't get one then he should stay until the summer and he fights for his place. No other club would leave themselves as exposed as we have done.

Sorry but that’s rubbish. See my prior post before yours why.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would any one take Tammy from Roma? Could be off to forest..much better than Ings

As I said to someone else, I don’t think anyone is going to Forest this window. Quite the opposite. He’s been out with a bad ACL injury since last season and isn’t expected back until February, so not this window. If he comes back strongly and his knee appears solid, then maybe one to consider in the summer.

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we going to get relegated now then with

Neto
Hwang
Cunha
Fraser
Bellegarde
Sarabia

as our forward options?

I do recognise only 3 of these are really central options with 1 away and one vey young, ideally we need to sign 1 more, but relegation come on!!!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tammy Abraham has a 1 in 3.5 goal record across the Premier League and Serie A, and is still only 26.

I'd be amazed if anyone was against signing him.

As I said above, the only consideration would be when. He’s still recovering from an ACL injury that needed surgery. Would want to see that he’s fully back to his best first, rather than take another risk like we did with Sasa. Maybe one to look at in the summer if he hasn’t already moved. Frankly I’d be surprised if he’s not on our list of potentials given Mendes will have a keen eye on Roma players.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you'd have to
Definitely not, initially anyway. Any decision Wolves make will be defended by many on here.

46% were happy with the appointment of Saunders on here. Sellars was defended time and time again as anyone will know. Same with Thelwell. Same with Lambert.

Now, there are digs at posters for saying exactly what Gary O'Neil said - we didn't have enough numbers to let Sasa leave on loan. It's really crazy.

Sellars and Thellwell were both sacrificed to save Shi.

Both scouted some excellent players who we then were told 'we have no money' once a fee had been agreed, only to bring in some Mendes signing late in the window. 3 years on the bounce.

some of these players have now gone on to be worth and absolute fortune.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Although, like a lot I would of love us to sign a striker. Sasa and Fabio were let go for reasons already stated. As Hobbs stated they did not combined, gather a lot of minutes on the pitch. When down to ten men against Brentford, Sasa did not even get on.

So, for me that the fact we let them both go before we get someone else in is not really an issue.

I believe that we have enough to get to 40 points and stay up this season with what we have. Small squad gives us the chance to field some youngsters and see if they can handle first team football.

When we went down to 10 men vs Brentford the formation we played actually looked very good and I thought it was the best game Bellergade played. Its obvious that GON has a certain type of striker in mind. To fit his system, I would rather wait for that type of player to become free then again spend money on a player who does not play.

Hopefully that player becomes free this month. If not then we wait.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. Rush in now and what do we get? People were horrified at the thought of Danny Ings but the reality is that if you want someone in asap that's the standard you are going to get. To get in a forward we actually want and who would improve our team moving forward will take a while. We aren't buying a forward in this window so any loan with an option/obligation is going to be a complex and intense negotiation to get the right deal.

In the meantime i'd rather have a look at what we have in house before bringing in a substandard player from elsewhere just to have bodies in place
Can everybody have a look around their houses and see if there is a spare centre-forward behind a cupboard or down the back of the sofa please.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would any one take Tammy from Roma? Could be off to forest..much better than Ings
Forest are dangerously flirting with financial sustainability rules. They'll need to offload players before they can buy.
Mind you with a squad size of 75, they've got plenty of flex.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you'd have to

Both scouted some excellent players who we then were told 'we have no money' once a fee had been agreed, only to bring in some Mendes signing late in the window. 3 years on the bounce.

Thelwell left for a job in New York rather than being sacrificed. I would also say he hasn’t actually covered himself in glory in his latest job. Everton don’t seem overly enamoured. He did an excellent job in getting Jackett in and supporting him. We had some ok signings and then Mendes brokered Nuno, Neves, Jota etc and that was the game changer. Sellars, I think, was shown to be so far out of his depth that he couldn’t see the surface. It was good to see someone promoted from within as that’s always a positive in any organisation. However, Shi should be criticised for keeping him too long as he wasn’t effective.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we went down to 10 men vs Brentford the formation we played actually looked very good and I thought it was the best game Bellergade played. Its obvious that GON has a certain type of striker in mind. To fit his system, I would rather wait for that type of player to become free then again spend money on a player who does not play.

Hopefully that player becomes free this month. If not then we wait.

Yeah, hopefully.

I think we are looking to bring in a striker, but as Hobbs says, it's not until late in the window that this will happen.

I think Nathan Fraser to Shrewsbury is done, but we are waiting to see if we get another in before we let him go.

Early in the window is for departures and for the bigger clubs to spend money.

Then everything trickles down to a feeding frenzy in the last few days.

What we've done by letting Sasa got to Stuttgart early is probably take a club out of the equation when it comes to competition.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you'd have to

Scott sellers was a joke! Shi kept him around to be a yes man and a shield between him and the fans. He was paid handsomely for a long time for crap performance in his last position at the club.

He got promoted well above his ability level because he would tell anyone about his job at city.

Which if you do some do dilligence, it is very easy to find out, he was sacked from because of the significant drop in age group international representatives through the academy and there were significant concerns that a money maker for the club wasn’t going to hit even close to the required financial and performance targets. He wasn’t offered a new position like was said in the PR statement, it was part of his settlement agreement to get an agreed statement released if he left with no fuss.

He talks a great game to those who know nothing about football like shi.

He was not sacrificed to save Shi! He was incompetent at his last role in the club. He stayed around far too long.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Tammy it’s all about the price, his wages, his injury and motivation here.

I thought Chelsea should’ve kept him.

I’m just sure he fits our profile unfortunately

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In theory, that sounds sensible. But how many minutes has Fabio played this season? How many goal contributions has he made? To go further, how many games has Fabio even been in the match day squad? The same could equally be said about Sasa, who I think would “score” more highly across all three measures, but is still in reality, little more than a bench warmer.

I get that in the short term, with the Asia Cup, we are short our leading goal scorer, but even when Hwang hasn’t been available or has been subbed this season, it’s rare if ever that either Fabio or Sasa has come on. The reality is that we do need another forward, but it’s neither Fabio or Sasa at this time, so keeping either here serves little benefit.
More than Fraser, there’s a reason for that. We’ve also been fortunate that Cunha and Hwang have been available pretty much every game. If Cunha got injured on Tuesday, would we be better off with Sasa leading the line for the next few games or Fraser? If it’s only a few games maybe it’s not such a big deal, signing a striker before the end of the window would solve it. It’s like saying we may as well loan out Bentley and King because we’ve got Joe Young.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Tammy it’s all about the price, his wages, his injury and motivation here.

I thought Chelsea should’ve kept him.

I’m just sure he fits our profile unfortunately

Tammy is a quality forward who we know would be great in the prem.

But he is too big of a risk now for us, with the FFP concerns and we already have one striker on the books with suspect knees and a leading scorer with suspect hamstrings.

It will be a good gamble for someone with more financial room to take the leap, but they will likely be handsomely rewarded if he comes back strong.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you'd have to

Who are these players?

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we will get relegated with our current options up top but for me we may as well have kept at least 1 of Fabio or Sasa if we are not going to sign someone .

Hobbs surely knew that it would be hard to get a striker in without paying over the odds . Just seems odd to let two go out on loan when various players are away on international duty etc .

Fabio and Sasa may not have made an impact but chucking Fraser in seems an even worse idea to me and should have got a loan . Rather than letting both players go on loan as surely they would have had more game time with the players away.

Just seems odd to let them both go rather than having a player lined up ready to sign no questions asks. If there was a player lined up then I could understand both going on loan. but doubt that as Fraser hasn't gone on his loan.

fleck1

Reaction score
Outside of the big European clubs everyone is in the same boat financially, looking for that bargain, that player floating under the radar, that back up striker waiting on a chance. Everyone is waiting on that move that frees up their target at the right price. I don't have an issue with us playing the waiting game, I have more faith in Hobbs than I have had others over the past couple of years. He's communicated well and been pretty open with us, even if we were desperate and had a massive pot of cash we'd not be out there telling everyone about it. Play it cool, watching the market with targets in mind, just requires a bit of patience, we've moved out two players who have played 400 minutes of Premier League football between them this season so no real affect on the squad.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scott sellers was a joke! Shi kept him around to be a yes man and a shield between him and the fans. He was paid handsomely for a long time for crap performance in his last position at the club.

He got promoted well above his ability level because he would tell anyone about his job at city.

Which if you do some do dilligence, it is very easy to find out, he was sacked from because of the significant drop in age group international representatives through the academy and there were significant concerns that a money maker for the club wasn’t going to hit even close to the required financial and performance targets. He wasn’t offered a new position like was said in the PR statement, it was part of his settlement agreement to get an agreed statement released if he left with no fuss.

He talks a great game to those who know nothing about football like shi.

He was not sacrificed to save Shi! He was incompetent at his last role in the club. He stayed around far too long.

I'll say it again. Simpler.

Transfer team: Signings lined up. No money.
Shi: Last minute signing loads of money.

Even this summer, under a new regime we had Gyorkes and Scott, signed and ready to go. Only for there to be a change of tide.

This has been going on for 3 years. Obviously the signing that really sticks out from the Sellars days was Fernandez, who was as good as signed and many people within the club messed about.

Back
Top Bottom