Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Letting the world know, we've just lost 3 strikers, and expected other clubs to think we hold all the cards when it comes to getting a great deal is unusual in the extreme Telling them that 2 of them rarely got on the pitch (which is true) but due to our fabulous club doctors they therefore don't urgently need replacing is laughable.
We must have deal rubber stamped as he can't be that stupid, can he?
Keep calm, Scott Sellars is no longer in charge, relax

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This threadbare squad policy has hurt us in the past and we have suffered for it.
It is negligent to not get a striker replacement before sasa left.

If hwang and cunha got injured some of the posters here won't be looking through their ' human' perspective when we hurtle down the league.

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs basically saying we are looking for a forward competing with other prem teams and We will reallocate monies on wages which have been covered by other loans to it is what I get.

We were always not going to have a massive winter

Always going to be loans just doesn't read well

If players have gone out on loan, we can look to replace them, but they’ve got to be better than what we’ve got. The boys have done unbelievably well, and we have some talented young players coming through who want more minutes off the bench, but if we can improve what we’ve got, and help Gary and the squad be more competitive, then we will, within the financial position.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All so uninspiring isn't it.

No chance of any cash injection, "self sustainability" means we'll basically have to sell our best/most valuable player at the end of every season in order to play ball in the market.

It's so frustrating.
Mid table prem football in perpetuity is the aim. sell a big ticket player each window and bring in younger players to develop on the conveyor before then selling them on. Fosun just realised/admitted to it now. They did say that player trading is the only successful way of making money in football way back when.
Brighton done it to perfection, southampton less successfully. lets see how hobbs and GON get on with it. Neto, RAN, Gomes will be chronological summer window sales (probably in that order) to fund Neto II, RAN II, Gomes II to then develop.

i just dont see an investment drive for europe any time soon so ~10th and a cup run is probably best can hope for. A cup run and potential conference league challenge still enough to get excited about!!
In this league with big spending behemoths a combination of 6 of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Lpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa will always finish above you. Then add in WHU, brighton and a few others and the chances of finishing above all of those extremely slim even if you do splash the cash so why take the risk!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the club gets criticism for not being transparent. it then is and it all makes sense, even if it’s not what some of you wan to hear,
I’m not sure why everyone is getting worked up. We aren’t going down this year and January is a ****ty time to be buying players. I’d rather we wait until the summer and get the players we really want rather than knee jerk buys now.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the club gets criticism for not being transparent. it then is and it all makes sense, even if it’s not what some of you wan to hear,

The issue is clearly letting players go before we get a replacement in.

Nobody really has a problem with the strategy, we've had it rammed down our throats since March that we're skint.

Hobbs says 'nobody wants to make themselves weaker' when outlining how hard it is to sign players, yet, as it stands, that's exactly what we've done.

For balance, it's too soon to moan properly as there is still time to sort it, but the fact he has released such a statement now suggests nothing is imminent.

But lose to Brentford, or lose to the ****, because we aren't properly prepared, then they will be getting absolute pelters.

Dan W

Groupie
Reaction score
Romano linked us with Chris Bedia?
Smashing it this season, he's 27 but never really played at a high standard. How refreshing is it to see unusual names linked. Our scouts must be so happy with the changes in the club hierarchy.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nobody really has a problem with the strategy, we've had it rammed down our throats since March that we're skint.

Hobbs says 'nobody wants to make themselves weaker' when outlining how hard it is to sign players, yet, as it stands, that's exactly what we've done.

For balance, it's too soon to moan properly as there is still time to sort it, but the fact he has released such a statement now suggests nothing is imminent.

But lose to Brentford, or lose to the ****, because we aren't properly prepared, then they will be getting absolute pelters.
He is leaving it vague, so when he pops up in a week or two with a decent forward we all think he is a genius......he aye gonna promise the world incase he can't deliver....it's what we all do at work , to make ourselves look good.....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is leaving it vague, so when he pops up in a week or two with a decent forward we all think he is a genius......he aye gonna promise the world incase he can't deliver....it's what we all do at work , to make ourselves look good.....

We hope...

What we know is that we've weakened ourselves ahead of what, to me anyway, is an absolutely massive game against Brentford next week. Obviously a new signing can't play in that anyway, so it could cost us regardless.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We hope...

What we know is that we've weakened ourselves ahead of what, to me anyway, is an absolutely massive game against Brentford next week. Obviously a new signing can't play in that anyway, so it could cost us regardless.
Ekitike to get the the winner at the Hawthornes......while we are all singing "one Matt Hobbs, there's only one Matt Hobbs.....

stevev53

Reaction score
Letting the world know, we've just lost 3 strikers, and expected other clubs to think we hold all the cards when it comes to getting a great deal is unusual in the extreme Telling them that 2 of them rarely got on the pitch (which is true) but due to our fabulous club doctors they therefore don't urgently need replacing is laughable.
We must have deal rubber stamped as he can't be that stupid, can he?
No

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

oh absolutely, and i agree. i would have kept Silva until we had a replacement.
Sasa i get.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having actually read the piece from Hobbs, it isn't as downbeat as reading some of the comments suggest. We should all have known that we weren't spending in January and any incoming must be balanced by outgoings due to FFP.
Summer is the key to what's happening.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs talking about a January market where clubs are looking to signiplayers that are not playing for their current team. Ekitike please

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't see us going for Ekitike, he's probably gonna want huge wages and will need a big fee

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not convinced a striker that's been playing in the Swiss league for three years will improve us!

I know it's a long shot (fitness wise), but a fit Danny Ings would contribute more, at least until the end of the season.

I assume both are pretty low down on our list, compared to someone like Ekitike. Obviously the Ekitike situation depends heavily on other clubs interest though. It seems like a very favourable situation for us and for the player involved given the void we currently have upfront. Loan with an option to buy, if he struggles, we move on, otherwise we pay the money for a young striker in the summer that we know has already produced. Win, win really.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake not getting something lined up before Sasa and Silva left. However, reading Hobbs statement there in my eyes puts to bed the likes of Ings and Adams rocking up here. Suggests to me we'll be wanting an Ekitike type/someone young with their best years ahead of them within our budget ie a loan with an option/obligation to buy at a later date, or we won't bring one in at all. I'd like to think we have something up our sleeve. In some ways it's probably a good thing - he pretty much makes it clear there that anyone coming in needs to be equal/better than what we have. That pretty much writes off guff like Ings joining IMO.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake not getting something lined up before Sasa and Silva left. However, reading Hobbs statement there in my eyes puts to bed the likes of Ings and Adams rocking up here. Suggests to me we'll be wanting an Ekitike type/someone young with their best years ahead of them within our budget ie a loan with an option/obligation to buy at a later date, or we won't bring one in at all. I'd like to think we have something up our sleeve. In some ways it's probably a good thing - he pretty much makes it clear there that anyone coming in needs to be equal/better than what we have. That pretty much writes off guff like Ings joining IMO.
Ings is better than literally nothing, which is what we currently have in the building!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ugh.... ummm... no. You're using incomplete data you don't understand and making a conclusion based only on the negative sides of that.

You are trying to make the point that the players bought have been a waste of money, and to prove that you list the ones that would lose the most money if sold, and ignore the opposite (increases which dwarf the decreases).

I'm not talking about going back to the 60s or anything like that. I'm talking about the current squad. All of it. Not just selected players to make my point.
We’ve made and some and lost on others. Why don’t we include Cutrone another huge loss.

Many things off the pitch are looking better due to Hobbs stepping up. We must be thankful for his input

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
I mean if thats his price, thats dirt cheap for someone with such high potential, decent half season in the prem that easily jumps to 30m+
Let's not get too excited.... An awful lot got to happen like:
- persuade the lad,
- persuade his club
- agree fee
- agree wages
- get in our team
- play well
- score loads of goals
THEN we can talk ab out his price 'jumping to £30m'....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many forgetting Toti learned his trade in the Swiss league. Must be rubbish

Chris Bedia would cost what €4m euros? Not much for a goal scorer. No matter what level, you still have to put the ball in the net….

6ft 2 offers us a different dynamic

Low cost risk. Would make sense. Stop gap. Much cheaper than Dia and Ings. I don’t get what people expect us to do in a very tight window

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many forgetting Toti learned his trade in the Swiss league. Must be rubbish

Chris Bedia would cost what €4m euros? Not much for a goal scorer. No matter what level, you still have to put the ball in the net….

6ft 2 offers us a different dynamic

Low cost risk. Would make sense. Stop gap. Much cheaper than Dia and Ings. I don’t get what people expect us to do in a very tight window
We had a "different dynamic" and GON didn't want it. I don't think immobile strikers suit what he wants from his front three.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a "different dynamic" and GON didn't want it. I don't think immobile strikers suit what he wants from his front three.
I think he wants a forward with height and pace…… Sasa is not quick I’m guessing this lad has both.

Not the most impressive video. Clearly has a powerful shot and pace. Some good coaching he could be a handful in the PL

Last edited:

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If the deal is the good first half of the season allows the club to keep its powder dry for summer, when they go for it with the intent of really giving it a go next season, then I can live with that. Europe next season would be a poisoned chalice anyway...that's just too many games for such a small squad, and the league form would suffer.

Thinking about it, the natural negotiating tradeoff when the club are tight money wise is to pay more money long term for getting the player now without forking the money over now. Last season there was every reason to take that tradeoff. That is not the case this season.

Get cover in for potential injuries to the forward line and get ready for summer imo.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice to get another update from Hobbs.

I get his point but I think we've made a mistake to be honest in letting Sasa and Fabio go without a replacement ready.

Fabio and Sasa had no minutes because Cunha and Hwang have been fit all the time.

Hwang is now not here for around a month, so we're a Cunha injury away from being in a disastrous position really, especially when you consider we potentially have the biggest game of the season in under three weeks time.

Yep. He makes good points about Fabio and Sasa's minutes but we have been lucky neither Hwang or Cunha has got injured. Hwang is away now and if Cunha picks up a knock our attack will be threadbare. We simply have to sign attackers this window to see us through until the summer. We are going to have a very inexperienced bench at this rate in games. I hope some of the young lads are ready as they may be needed soon if we dont make any signings, particularly in attack with Neto only just back and Hwang gone. Potentially playing a dangerous game leaving us light on attacking options unless some of the kids step up.

Back
Top Bottom