Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d quite like Nelson, would add good competition out wide. Adams… I just don’t see how he is the answer unless it’s just to get us through to summer.

Reactions: Ned

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we land up with Adams and loan out both Fabio and Sasa I will really give up. Hopefully not but we have apparently lost out on Durosinma who is going to Eintracht Frankfurt and there are problems with Dia the Salternina guy still who is currently injured. When will Jiminez's heir finally appear?
As usual the talk is of little money available so that is pretty hopeless in a January market when you are looking for a quality striker. Adams is a journeyman Championship striker not a Premier League quality one and has a very average goalscoring record in any case.

Whatever happens we should keep Sasa imv and give him much more of a chance.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Che Adams doesn’t offer us anything different or better it’s a strange one.

What next Michail Antonio????
We all would like better ,but we are safe as houses . He has scored 30 goals for Southampton. Has Premier league experience.He gives the opportunity to rest other players or cover injuries and he gives us a focal point.
If Gary O’Neill can get the best out of him and get him to open up spaces and movement, chipping in with goals, surely that’s better than nothing or trying out a rookie for about 10 million quid .
And the big money striker comes in the summer.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see the issue with Adams, will end up being another one wrote off before he signs. Even with Premier League experience to see us over the next 6 months. Long as the mentality is there on his side wanting to play for the club and his style suits what we currently then I'm all for it.

Cba with signing a fancy name just to fit a square peg in a round hole.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we land up with Adams and loan out both Fabio and Sasa I will really give up. Hopefully not but we have apparently lost out on Durosinma who is going to Eintracht Frankfurt and there are problems with Dia the Salternina guy still who is currently injured. When will Jiminez's heir finally appear?
As usual the talk is of little money available so that is pretty hopeless in a January market when you are looking for a quality striker. Adams is a journeyman Championship striker not a Premier League quality one and has a very average goalscoring record in any case.

Whatever happens we should keep Sasa imv and give him much more of a chance.
That first line.

Jesus wept, because things have been so bad.

You've nailed it right there, there are no available top level strikers, so unless we've got someone in the wings who can play that way then we are going to go and try and get someone who can do a job.

Moyes said the same last night as to why Bowen is playing as a no 9. A team that sits 6th.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defoe, Shearer and Henry were discussing why old fashioned strikers don't come out of the Academies any more, I can't really remember what they said to be honest, but it does appear to be a thing. The game has changed a lot in the last few years, getting to the by-line and getting crosses in seem to be a thing of the past too!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson is okay not really sure he’s any better than what we have. More of a right sided winger. So who are we dropping out of Sarabia, Cunha, Hwang & Neto?

Same for Adams it’s just squad fillers who will play bit part roles.

Would rather chance our luck on what we currently have squad wise, then have few extra quid to spend in the summer

Really thought we would be looking at improvements, not players to make up the numbers

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defoe, Shearer and Henry were discussing why old fashioned strikers don't come out of the Academies any more, I can't really remember what they said to be honest, but it does appear to be a thing. The game has changed a lot in the last few years, getting to the by-line and getting crosses in seem to be a thing of the past too!
Michael Owen said he’d now be a wide forward as opposed to a striker.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nelson is okay not really sure he’s any better than what we have. More of a right sided winger. So who are we dropping out of Sarabia, Cunha, Hwang & Neto?

Same for Adams it’s just squad fillers who will play bit part roles.

Would rather chance our luck on what we currently have squad wise, then have few extra quid to spend in the summer

Really thought we would be looking at improvements, not players to make up the numbers
I also initially thought this, but taking into account the loss of Sasa and Silva, the loss of Hwang, Bouba and RAN to their continental comps and the increased injuries that are occurring this season as well as the suspensions for yellow cards etc..., I've changed my mind and think we need players in January.
Our squad is 'thin' anyway, according to those who know, our youngsters are not ready and the loss of players above, means that we need players, even if just 'squad fillers'.

I'd take Nelson, just so we would then have two Nelsons, two Gomes's and two Buenos. Re-christen GON, Noah and let's get an ark built.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was all for Adams in the summer as I thought we would be battling to stay up.

Now we should be safe, we have to be aiming higher. If we can't get what we want, use Sasa for the full season.

The issue is he's not just a stop gap. It's likely a 3.5 year contract minimum, and takes up space/funds moving forward.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next season we could then have another first choice summer striker with Adams and Hwang as options.. Which to me would start to look like a sensible Premier league position. One we havent seen for five years.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except two are only out on loan, unless you think we are just loaning two in.
If we bid for Dia and Adams at the end of the summer window, then surely there is a bit of wiggle room with the FFP......I think we will get one signing permanent and one on loan or loan option/obligation....

Not saying it will be both of them but maybe 1 and a winger ..I would suspect if the Italian team agree to the loan obligation it will be Dia.....if not probably Che Adams as he will be half the price....

We've probably got about 10m say to spend tops I reckon...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also don't see the issue in signing Che Adams... are the ones moaning about this also moaning when Lemina signed?

Who are you expecting exactly?
Feels like a very short term signing, and as he has six months left on his deal, it would have to be on a permanent rather than a loan. Is he worth that level of commitment i.e. a fairly substantial transfer fee and a long term contract?

I don't hate him as a player, I think he could add something, but certainly nothing better than what we already have. I'm on the fence a little bit. I think we could aim higher, but the FFP situation certainly does limit our options until the summer, unless a deal for a higher quality player included an obligation to buy to push that money down the road, as we did with Matheus Cunha this time last year.

I think if the right quality of player is available, we should definitely consider doing a loan with obligation, but I don't get the sense that we're under any pressure to do that compared to this time last year when we were desperate.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Looks like we really want Dia? Strange considering he's apparently injured and missing AFCON as a result?

He's listed in Senegal's squad for AFCON so not sure if it's actually a serious injury...

Source article

He's also not ruled out of the AFCON as of yet, he has been called up

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes ‘apparently’ injured. Can see this one happening now as at least both sides are talking.
I would say we have been talking for a bit....we told Percy to put a statement out that we was no longer interested...a couple of weeks later it was all coming out in Italy, the club had wished they had taken wolves summer offer......it was a signaling and attempts on both sides to negotiate......

Wouldn't suprise me , if next week or so it happens...it seems we are freeing up wages...we would suggest something will happen soon...with somebody....lack of names and targets suggest we have something up our sleeve....

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice we're in for a Striker but if our valuations are so different I can't see this getting sorted till nearer the end of Jan rather than early as hoped.

Back
Top Bottom