Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remembering that I'm the eternal pessimist, there's some signs of life in both Luton and Burnley, so the points gap to us I find pleasing ... hopefully it is pessimism on my part :)
Luton will be harder to play at home than away, their stadium is such a HUGE leveller.

Burnley got their massive win after a red card and playing against ten men of another woeful newly promoted side.

I am a massive massive pessimist……. But I am very positive in thinking the newly promoted sides are so bad we are not at risk of relegation now and as the season goes on our ten point gap is only going to get larger…..

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton face more points because of the appeal failing? @wolfslair
God knows about the appeal as no one is really talking about it.

The new pending points deduction is due to a potential administration because of the buy out looking rocky and uncertain

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
God knows about the appeal as no one is really talking about it.

The new pending points deduction is due to a potential administration because of the buy out looking rocky and uncertain
They face double punishment possibly. Funny game

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't get in 1 premier league team in and around us in the league or above us....he doesn't get in ours....
Well he would get in the starting 11 today for Luton and Sheff United at this stage of his career.

And he would easily be a used sub at; forest, Everton, Bournemouth and palace.

He is a third choice right now and a bloody good one! Isn’t his fault our manager is often too afraid to bring on a more progressive and attack minded passer of a ball that comes with risk that threatens GON’s more often than not rigid structure and safety first approach…… he is a much better player than b.traore (I think is going to be good in time) so at times it has been baffling that Doyle isn’t the first midfield sub out of the pair introduced when playing weaker teams or ones where we need to change it up.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well he would get in the starting 11 today for Luton and Sheff United at this stage of his career.

He is a third choice right now and a bloody good one! Isn’t his fault our manager is often too afraid to bring on a more progressive and attack minded passer of a ball that comes with risk that threatens GON’s more often than not rigid structure and safety first approach…… he is a much better player than b.traore (I think is going to be good in time) so at times it has been baffling that Doyle isn’t the first midfield sub out of the pair introduced when playing weaker teams or ones where we need to change it up.
Nearly agreed with everything you said until the Traore bit lol. Just don't see it with him I'm afraid.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Articles and radio saying another 10 points.

And they will still stay up too

Best season to have this kind of stuff happen

hahahahaha
Even with another 9 point loss they'd still only be 4 points behind 2 teams. That's ridiculous!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even with another 9 point loss they'd still only be 4 points behind 2 teams. That's ridiculous!
Shows how weak the newly promoted teams are!!!

And also looking inward at wolves, it shows how low expectations have sunk in the fan base that seeing “achieving” survival this season as a big achievement when it is projected to be the lowest survival tally in premier league history!!!

It is almost a gimmie to stay up this campaign for anyone who isn’t Everton who seem to want to keep it competitive hahahahaha

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shows how weak the newly promoted teams are!!!

And also looking inward at wolves, it shows how low expectations have sunk in the fan base that seeing “achieving” survival this season as a big achievement when it is projected to be the lowest survival tally in premier league history!!!

It is almost a gimmie to stay up this campaign for anyone who isn’t Everton who seem to want to keep it competitive hahahahaha
Agreed, but I'd say our start to the season is what set expectations this year. I don't mind admitting I was convinced GON was a bad idea. So for me at that point survival was the aim. Now we're in to the season, if we can get top 10 in GONs first season, that's a good job

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn't get in ours? He's been used in 8 out of 11 games he's been available for. And was a huge part of at least 2 wins for us.
He has started 2 games ..its Christmas nearly. He is a good kid with potential but he currently isn't a premier league midfielder, he has started 2 games in the league..

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He gets in 3 squads at the minute Burnley Luton Sheffield utd.......that's not a slant on him just a Reality of where he is in his career...he doesn't get a sub for the others at all...

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what's the designated number of games he needs to start/play in to be called a Premier league player?
Start more than 2 I would say....I'm not digging out Doyle as such , just digging out our general cover across the squad isn't good enough...... currently....

And midfield is a big concern....if mario get injured it's **** ..

I would say the same about Doherty, Saza, Silva....not just Doyle and Bouba...

Last edited:

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Start more than 2 I would say....I'm not digging out Doyle as such , just digging out our general cover across the squad isn't good enough...... currently....

And midfield is a big concern....if mario get injured it's **** ..

I would say the same about Doherty, Saza, Silva....not just Doyle and Bouba...
We had a massive clear out in the summer, but yet are looking far better than we did last year and scoring goals too. Very few teams have proper cover for their best players.

What isn't the team good enough for? We're mid table and barring awful decisions could be even higher.

As GONs first season if we get 10th I'm happy with that that.

I agree we have players that are replaceable, but again so do even the biggest teams. Doyle is fine as a squad player.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
So what's the designated number of games he needs to start/play in to be called a Premier league player?
More than starting twice, given that the two included one where the first and second choice CMs were suspended. He's just what we should have on the bench, a young promising player who will get minutes on the pitch, but we would be better to also have some experienced cover for Lemina. Gomes is a bit ahead, but him Traore and Doyle are all in that category really.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a massive clear out in the summer, but yet are looking far better than we did last year and scoring goals too. Very few teams have proper cover for their best players.

What isn't the team good enough for? We're mid table and barring awful decisions could be even higher.

As GONs first season if we get 10th I'm happy with that that.

I agree we have players that are replaceable, but again so do even the biggest teams. Doyle is fine as a squad player.
I agree with that....I've always been Mr Positive.....and hope to remain it.....

I dont expect top 8/9......But I would like a bit more and be able to compete with the massive clubs like Fulham and Brentford...that's all ...it's not too much to ask is it......please can I have a bit of hope for my away n home season ticket..

I've got a concern that we can't effectively make a tactical sub or cover a player in lemina effectively at the minute, because through no fault of there own either bouba or Doyle are not currently up to it....in the same way that Saza and Silva are not up to it , in the forward areas.....I think in a FFP window what January will be it's easier to solve the midfield conundrum than the forward one...

I'm not asking for a wordie just think Brownhill would be a good addition, in the same way I didn't mind Harrison Reid in the summer.....it's not because I think they are top players I just CURRENTLY see them as a better option than what we have....

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to try and put ourselves in a position for a good summer, because next year it’s going to be a much more difficult league.

To do that, we need to add a couple of decent players in Jan. Summer business is looking pretty poor, with very little impact on the first team so far. A number 9 and pace out wide please Wolves.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, but I'd say our start to the season is what set expectations this year. I don't mind admitting I was convinced GON was a bad idea. So for me at that point survival was the aim. Now we're in to the season, if we can get top 10 in GONs first season, that's a good job
I 100% agree! I think expectations need to be revised like any good plan for a high performing team.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to try and put ourselves in a position for a good summer, because next year it’s going to be a much more difficult league.

To do that, we need to add a couple of decent players in Jan. Summer business is looking pretty poor, with very little impact on the first team so far. A number 9 and pace out wide please Wolves.
Agree .. the summer window is looking very much like what is was....a late scramble with the Nunes money....

I hope we have had a bit more time to access to January and even if funds are tight we can bring in at least a couple of loans that may help us.......or else we could need a decent spend in the summer...

Last edited:

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than starting twice, given that the two included one where the first and second choice CMs were suspended. He's just what we should have on the bench, a young promising player who will get minutes on the pitch, but we would be better to also have some experienced cover for Lemina. Gomes is a bit ahead, but him Traore and Doyle are all in that category really.
Don't disagree with this at all. I'm actually for Brownhill. I just don't think you can criticise a young player for lack of minutes, when he's not a DM and we play with two.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that....I've always been Mr Positive.....and hope to remain it.....

I dont expect top 8/9......But I would like a bit more and be able to compete with the massive clubs like Fulham and Brentford...that's all ...it's not too much to ask is it......please can I have a bit of hope for my away n home season ticket..

I've got a concern that we can't effectively make a tactical sub or cover a player in lemina effectively at the minute, because through no fault of there own either bouba or Doyle are not currently up to it....in the same way that Saza and Silva are not up to it , in the forward areas.....I think in a FFP window what January will be it's easier to solve the midfield conundrum than the forward one...

I'm not asking for a wordie just think Brownhill would be a good addition, in the same way I didn't mind Harrison Reid in the summer.....it's not because I think they are top players I just CURRENTLY see them as a better option than what we have....
I agree mostly, but Doyle can and does tactically change things. He just not being used as much yet. I'd be happy with Brownhill as an addition too.

Do I want stronger players? Yes of course, but we need to see how Hobbs and GON go about the task.

Criticising a young player for lack of game time is pointless.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree mostly, but Doyle can and does tactically change things. He just not being used as much yet. I'd be happy with Brownhill as an addition too.

Do I want stronger players? Yes of course, but we need to see how Hobbs and GON go about the task.

Criticising a young player for lack of game time is pointless.
I'm not criticising the player ....Doyle for me is what I expected him to be for his age and the fee ..I'm criticising the options at the minute....

It might be our best chance to finish say 10th we get for a few years......I don't see us doing that if we get Lemina out for a lengthy period....whereas we have coped somewhat with our best attacker missing...

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not criticising the player ....Doyle for me is what I expected him to be for his age and the fee ..I'm criticising the options at the minute....

It might be our best chance to finish say 10th we get for a few years......I don't see us doing that if we get Lemina out for a lengthy period....whereas we have coped somewhat with our best attacker missing...
Fair enough. It could be argued(tongue in cheek) that he's not the best forward. If Hwang carries on in this form, which he's continued even without Neto, he'll be our highest scorer since Raul and long before that....

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. It could be argued(tongue in cheek) that he's not the best forward. If Hwang carries on in this form, which he's continued even without Neto, he'll be our highest scorer since Raul and long before that....
Yes ...Hwang has benefited from time I would say.. getting used to the league and the players around him ...(something some might say I'm not giving Doyle n bouba)....

I just see midfield as key....it's the area we lost the most in the summer window, we are ok but 1 injury off a calamity with Lemina.... minimum he will miss 4 games i would say . 1 red and 10 yellows suspension....I've always worried about lemina fitness as well because the way he plays I think full pelt he can only operate for 75 mins as he is shot as such... I don't want him to reign it in as it will make him a less player ..

If we only have 7/10m to say spend Brownhill would be top of the list., as I don't see that fee making much difference up top...

In an ideal world I would look at loan or loan obligation for a forward to replace Silva. . anything else we ain't gonna get ..Diallo, Maxwell Cornet type signing .....the elusive striker might not be achievable with lack of funds .

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes ...Hwang has benefited from time I would say.. getting used to the league and the players around him ...(something some might say I'm not giving Doyle n bouba)....

I just see midfield as key....it's the area we lost the most in the summer window, we are ok but 1 injury off a calamity with Lemina.... minimum he will miss 4 games i would say . 1 red and 10 yellows suspension....I've always worried about lemina fitness as well because the way he plays I think full pelt he can only operate for 75 mins as he is shot as such... I don't want him to reign it in as it will make him a less player ..

If we only have 7/10m to say spend Brownhill would be top of the list., as I don't see that fee making much difference up top...

In an ideal world I would look at loan or loan obligation for a forward to replace Silva. . anything else we ain't gonna get ..Diallo, Maxwell Cornet type signing .....the elusive striker might not be achievable with lack of funds .
100% agree, you aren't giving the midfielders the time Hwang has had to prove himself.

Also agree with how you'd go about the window. Brownhill for £7m and a striker on loan with option/obligation

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be a good move I think to send him to Germany....he does well , we might get a Leipzig or Leverkusen interested....

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hwang has benefited most from our style of play. We now have two aggressive CDMs that can win the ball and Cunha who can break from midfield. Hwang can turn and run onto the ball, which is what he has good at.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang has benefited most from our style of play. We now have two aggressive CDMs that can win the ball and Cunha who can break from midfield. Hwang can turn and run onto the ball, which is what he has good at.
And I think it's the classic case of confidence...you get a couple of goals as a forward, things become easier......dare I say it same as with with your name sake ...

Back
Top Bottom