Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2021 Transfer Window

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Some people really have no clue how transfers actually work.

Literally no idea.

I will spell out just one point for you to understand, and this is just one sticking point of several...

"The selling club has to want to sell or loan the player out."

Usually this means they need a replacement so they are not left short themselves. A replacement needs to be sourced and they might not have done that way back in November just to suit Wolves (funnily enough).

Besides that:

- The player needs to want to come to a club in the first place.

- Medicals need to be passed.

- Fees and Wages need to be agreed.

- Living arrangements for players and families need to be arranged. Players often consort with family members who often influence their decisions mid-deal at times.

- Manager / coach has to sign off on player.

- Agents have to be paid and appeased.

- Selling clubs situations can change, as in they have injuries themselves and suddenly a player is no longer available.

- Work permits so.etimes need to be applied for and are often rejected.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Now add to that other considerations such as a global pandemic...

There are hundreds, literally hundreds of business, logistical and human permutations that can affect any single transfer.

It is not because Wolves are not 'prepared', 'skint',' disinterested' or 'inept' it is because it is bloody difficult.
Don’t be silly and start bringing facts into it

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Literally no idea.

I will spell out just one point for you to understand, and this is just one sticking point of several...

Usually this means they need a replacement so they are not left short themselves. A replacement needs to be sourced and they might not have done that way back in November just to suit Wolves (funnily enough).

Besides that:

- Living arrangements for players and families need to be arranged. Players often consort with family members who often influence their decisions mid-deal at times.

- Selling clubs situations can change, as in they have injuries themselves and suddenly a player is no longer available.

- Work permits sometimes need to be applied for and are often rejected.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Now add to that other considerations such as a global pandemic...

There are hundreds, literally hundreds of business, logistical and human permutations that can affect any single transfer.

It is not because Wolves are 'not
prepared', 'skint',' disinterested' or 'inept' it is because it is bloody difficult.

This.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be targetting a loan or two at most, perhaps one loan with an option to buy. However, clubs that are canny can get some very good deals imv in this very difficult time for clubs all over the world. We let Liverpool put down a measly £4m for the desperately stupid Jota deal. Perhaps we can do something similar to sign someone of quality?

TrueWolf

Reaction score
So basically we can use the prem money my word we are going nowhere fast then

I would say it is open to interpretation, I am just re-iterating what I have read as close as I can remember it.

However, I would say that there are certainly some on here who may benefit from better availing themselves of the information (freely available out there) and perhaps curbing their expectations a little.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bet its not far off. Its not just transfer fees its wages as well. Paid off several players with the likes of gladon. Also paying up contracts for the likes of Jackett, Lambert and Zenga. A much much bigger wage bill, a huge back room staff, money spent on the facilities, the academy, agent fees, it all adds up.
Ok but you know sometimes there is a reality to running a business ,
And having a professional football team without a goal scorer is fundamental. A £300 million club must have a couple .Even if we have to sell to buy one,

Our Kid Wolf

Reaction score
I hate the idea of complacency and writing seasons off. It stinks of a negative attitude towards a season and is fraught with danger. It almost seems we are an exclusive club in writing the season off and accepting mediocrity if you believe Spiers comments on the clubs approach this season. I'll bet the Southampton, Leicester and Vile fans are glad their clubs havent taken this approach this season. It is an absolute crap approach in my opinion and unacceptable if correct.
With respect, we are not accepting mediocrity though. The club is clearly building a young team that have a huge potential for success over the next 2-8 years. It’s the only way a club of our finances/size can hope to compete at the top end of the table and those highly coveted CL spots. I think a lot of people can see what Fosun/Nuno are doing and don’t mind not being top 6 this season with the long term vision of being very successful.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With respect, we are not accepting mediocrity though. The club is clearly building a young team that have a huge potential for success over the next 2-8 years. It’s the only way a club of our finances/size can hope to compete at the top end of the table and those highly coveted CL spots. I think a lot of people can see what Fosun/Nuno are doing and don’t mind not being top 6 this season with the long term vision of being very successful.
I said very early on i dont mind not being top half this season,just dont want to get dragged much further down than we are now
If we can do that im happy,and look forward to next season optimistically

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There is no guarantee of success in 2-8 years with this approach in my opinion. Your better players will potentially get picked off if you arent finishing in a decent position in the league and you end up repeating the process again and again and again. A very risky strategy.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don't want to spend anything the club doesn't make. Jeff said this on record repeatedly, don't know why this is hard for people to understand.

Because Jeff also said the plan was to win the Premier League within 10 years? Something about being in the Champions League, too. These statements will be out there, on record too. And I can't see how we can bridge the gap to that level - a bigger gap than Championship to Premier - without spending more than we bring in.

Just like people keep saying with Silva - "Long Term Investment". They spend more than is coming in now, to promote our club globally, so we eventually sell more merch globally and so on. Well, at least that's what I thought they meant. Has Covid changed the plan? Would explain why mid table is now our stated goal this season. Some expectation management would be a good thing, as some of us were getting a bit over excited about all that talk of challenging at the very top. :)

Or are we to selectively ignore some of the things Jeff has said, while cherry picking others?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Because Jeff also said the plan was to win the Premier League within 10 years? Something about being in the Champions League, too. These statements will be out there, on record too. And I can't see how we can bridge the gap to that level - a bigger gap than Championship to Premier - without spending more than we bring in.

Just like people keep saying with Silva - "Long Term Investment". They spend more than is coming in now, to promote our club globally, so we eventually sell more merch globally and so on. Well, at least that's what I though they said the plan was. Has Covid changed the plan? Would explain why mid table is now our stated goal this season. Some expectation management would be a good thing, as some of us were getting a bit over excited about all that talk of challenging at the very top. :)

Or are we to selectively ignore some of the things Jeff has said, while cherry picking others?
I think that's because you disagree with their method, it's absolutely not incongruous with the statement. They want to buy young players and develop them into superstars. I would disagree with the club and like to see more of a balanced approach but that is their model.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Literally no idea.

Besides that:

prepared', 'skint',' disinterested' or 'inept' it is because it is bloody difficult.

It's amazing we see any transfers at all.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Good post it’s a long term vision not now now now which doesn’t sit well with some posters

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just go round and round in circles on here. Most of what we say and hear is conjecture but 1 fact is that we were a whisker from being a CL side last season. Whether that was ahead of the plan or whatever it is fact. Why are you and others talking about success over the next 2-8 (eight!!!!!!) years FFS? I assure you Fosun do not want success in 2029! After last season mid-table has to be regarded as a disappointment at best and failure at worst. Nuno/Jeff have put us in this situation by over-relying on youth and not planning for injuries. FACT.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We just go round and round in circles on here. Most of what we say and hear is conjecture but 1 fact is that we were a whisker from being a CL side last season. Whether that was ahead of the plan or whatever it is fact. Why are you and others talking about success over the next 2-8 (eight!!!!!!) years FFS? I assure you Fosun do not want success in 2029! After last season mid-table has to be regarded as a disappointment at best and failure at worst. Nuno/Jeff have put us in this situation by over-relying on youth and not planning for injuries. FACT.
Can you let us know how you are so sure Fosun don't see it as a long term?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's because you disagree with their method, it's absolutely not incongruous with the statement. They want to buy young players and develop them into superstars. I would disagree with the club and like to see more of a balanced approach but that is their model.

Totally support buying "some" young players for development. Just not the majority. It's getting the balance right as you say. Our bench the other day is evidence we have gone too far towards developing inexperienced players. To those who say "ah, injuries" - our injury list is not that exceptional. Agreed we have had key player injuries, Raul in particular. But again, that does happen.

The other thing is that I'm surprised how much we are spending on these development projects.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha exactly this.

People do this every transfer window as well, it's so predictable. Acting like it's impossible to sign a player.

Yes, January historically isn't the easiest transfer window to do things, but we are starting from a base that is as low as possible. We need a striker who is better than an 18-year-old.

Also, notably excluding that the current financial crisis has actually made it easier in many ways to do deals, because foreign clubs especially have to sell right now.

Our Kid Wolf

Reaction score
There is no guarantee of success in 2-8 years with this approach in my opinion. Your better players will potentially get picked off if you arent finishing in a decent position in the league and you end up repeating the process again and again and again. A very risky strategy.
You’re right, there is no guarantee and it is a risky approach (having your best players pinched if club are deemed to be unsuccessful). For me, personally, it’s an approach I’m happy for the club to take as it’s the only way I can see us achieving the levels of success that ultimately we all want.

TrueWolf

Reaction score

Obviously some are easier than others, like everything else in life.

I am not advocating that every transfer is an insurmountable task for which we should be eternally grateful to all whom made it happen.

Just providing some insight and balance from the other side.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Literally no idea.

Besides that:

Are you by any chance a football Agent? That list certainly shows why we need them :D

TrueWolf

Reaction score
Putting fact in capital letters at the end of a statement does not make the preceding text actually fact. FACT.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously some are easier than others, like everything else in life.

I am not advocating that every transfer is an insurmountable task for which we should be eternally grateful to all whom made it happen.

Of course not. That would be Mendes job. ;)

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Jovic then got injured after we'd sold Raul aren't we in the same position as we are now?

Wed just be going round in a circle.
Nah because you've got that player in between, the Origi/King style player that can play all across the front. The biggest problem we have really with Raúl's injury is that the only other player that can play through the middle is a developing 18 year old. If Neto, Traore or Podence could do it to any decent degree we would have been relatively ok for the last six weeks - although right now of course we would still be looking for a replacement

Our Kid Wolf

Reaction score
Again, with respect, I disagree with all of your points and that’s ok, opinions like ass holes ay, we all have one and most of them stink!

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Signing needed by Thursday lunchtime to play Friday right ?
I was looking at eligibility and the FA Cup rules which confused me. I couldn't make my mind up, although for the Friday game it seemed to be saying signing had to be completed by Monday before. Couldn't see any specific info on loan signing other that the parent club had to give permission in writing for the player to play. Sorry, that's no help at all... :(

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correct. Point is they are ahead of us now. We have regressed they have both improved substantially. Hopefully it is only a temporary blip.
Well we were level with Southampton and ahead of Villa after the Arsenal game when all these injuries started - I reckon that has something to do with it (meaning it'll be a temporary blip :winky smiley: can't put smilies on with my phone anymore!)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha exactly this.

People do this every transfer window as well, it's so predictable. Acting like it's impossible to sign a player.

Yes, January historically isn't the easiest transfer window to do things, but we are starting from a base that is as low as possible. We need a striker who is better than an 18-year-old.

Also, notably excluding that the current financial crisis has actually made it easier in many ways to do deals, because foreign clubs especially have to sell right now.

Well said mate. Totally agree.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The intention never was to rely so much on youth, but you can't legislate for having five starters all out at the same time

Planning for injuries, especially on the scale we've hit them, is a massive waste of resources - FACT

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re right, there is no guarantee and it is a risky approach (having your best players pinched if club are deemed to be unsuccessful). For me, personally, it’s an approach I’m happy for the club to take as it’s the only way I can see us achieving the levels of success that ultimately we all want.

Fair play. Nice to debate with another poster who may not agree with me and I may not agree with him on this issue but no insults and fair debate. Makes a nice and refreshing change.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The intention never was to rely so much on youth, but you can't legislate for having five starters all out at the same time

Planning for injuries, especially on the scale we've hit them, is a massive waste of resources - FACT
I think you're exaggerating how bad things are.

Five injuries isn't a lot IMO. I would expect most teams always have 3 or 4 out, so 5/6 is hardly mental.

I would say our squad is three short, CB, CM, ST - something most have said for the past two years in truth.

D

Deleted member 4184

Correct. Point is they are ahead of us now. We have regressed they have both improved substantially. Hopefully it is only a temporary blip.

It would be very short sighted and naive to judge Nuno and Fosun off of one season, blighted with Injuries and without fans.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Literally no idea.

Besides that:

Never mind all that *******s gerremin .....
:cool::cool:

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah because you've got that player in between, the Origi/King style player that can play all across the front. The biggest problem we have really with Raúl's injury is that the only other player that can play through the middle is a developing 18 year old. If Neto, Traore or Podence could do it to any decent degree we would have been relatively ok for the last six weeks - although right now of course we would still be looking for a replacement
This for me is exactly why the Jota sale was so crazy. The only guy we had who had successfully combined with Raul in a front 2 and who could also play across the front three positions. It never had to be a straight choice between Neto and Jota that many claimed.
Cant say I’m a fan of many we are being linked with , but would argue that a physical presence would help in both boxes as we certainly miss Jimenez in these situations. Giroud would have fitted the bill before he decided to start scoring for Chelsea. No doubt the club are working on something.

Back
Top Bottom