Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jacqui Oatley

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Firstly I want to say that in the past, I’ve been critical of female football commentators feeling some have been given the gig for reasons other than their ability, and still find some of them really hard work to listen to (as have been a lot of male commentators over my lifetime).

So last night I found the Villa v Wolves channel and sat down to watch the game briefly hearing a female commentator’s voice before the broadcast switched to adverts and my initial reaction was to switch channels.

But I stuck with it and then realised it was Jacqui commentating aided by the dulcet tines of Lee Hendrie. I have to say what a pleasure it was.

Her delivery is spot on, devoid of any unnecessary histrionics or overused cliches. She kept it at exactly the right tone and displayed a deep knowledge of the game and teams without the need to read her fact sheet verbatim.

Her knowledge of the two teams, the supporters and the locality was refreshing (Hendrie at one point thought we were from the same City). She is obviously a Wolves fan and demonstrated this on the odd occasion with a little bit of insight rather than going to Carragher/Neville/Chiles levels. At no point did she declare her allegiance. She also “managed” her co-commentator very well.

Best moment for me was during the second half half when there was a loud bang and clatter and she reassured us it was her water bottle falling off the desk, not the Wolves and Villa fans she was perched above.

It was a pleasure to listen to someone who knew what they were talking about rather than some random assignee with an A4 sheet of scribbled erroneous notes that we so often get.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly I want to say that in the past, I’ve been critical of female football commentators feeling some have been given the gig for reasons other than their ability, and still find some of them really hard work to listen to (as have been a lot of male commentators over my lifetime).

So last night I found the Villa v Wolves channel and sat down to watch the game briefly hearing a female commentator’s voice before the broadcast switched to adverts and my initial reaction was to switch channels.

But I stuck with it and then realised it was Jacqui commentating aided by the dulcet tines of Lee Hendrie. I have to say what a pleasure it was.

Her delivery is spot on, devoid of any unnecessary histrionics or overused cliches. She kept it at exactly the right tone and displayed a deep knowledge of the game and teams without the need to read her fact sheet verbatim.

Her knowledge of the two teams, the supporters and the locality was refreshing (Hendrie at one point thought we were from the same City). She is obviously a Wolves fan and demonstrated this on the odd occasion with a little bit of insight rather than going to Carragher/Neville/Chiles levels. At no point did she declare her allegiance. She also “managed” her co-commentator very well.

Best moment for me was during the second half half when there was a loud bang and clatter and she reassured us it was her water bottle falling off the desk, not the Wolves and Villa fans she was perched above.

It was a pleasure to listen to someone who knew what they were talking about rather than some random assignee with an A4 sheet of scribbled erroneous notes that we so often get.
I love our Jacqui personally.
She did refer to Matheus Nunes as Matheus Cunha during the first-half though but I'll let her get away with it, if only for her beautiful eyes!!! Lol

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sexism towards her in the Facebook groups during and post game, makes me want to punch a wall.

She's been in the business for around a quarter-century and thus her knowledge is something many of us could only possibly dream of.

Jacqui is a huge credit to sports broadcasting and people should get off her back; simply for doing her job.

If anyone here hates Female commentators, then try and go like Jacqui get on Match of the Day: as she has since 2007 and then let's have a conversation.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done for putting up with a female commentator. Do you want a medal?

What a ridiculous thread
I think he’s making a good point,
It definitely seems certain people get jobs in the football media due to particular box ticking agendas.
Jacqui is very good and seems to have worked her way up the ladder. She deserves more credit and work.

W

WasStefan

It definitely seems certain people get jobs in the football media due to particular box ticking agendas.
Jacqui is very good and seems to have worked her way up the ladder. She deserves more credit and work.
Yeah, admitting he normally turns off when he hears a female commentator but he persisted and realised women can actually do what men do and commentate well on football.

Mind blown to be honest

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
She does a fair bit of work on the darts scene and is as equally knowledgeable about that too.
Usually on ITV4 I think.
Does a bit on Sky Sports Soccer Saturday too thinking about it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
She called Matheus Nunes, Matheus Cunha in the first half, long before he came on and made another couple of episodes of mistaken identity iirc. Wasn't particularly impressed.

She also mentioned that Bueno headed clear, when it was actually Kilman and Bueno had been substituted.

I've got nothing against female commentators at all and nothing against Jacqui, but it's a pet hate of mine when commentators get the names of players wrong, or confuse players.

It's a key part of their job to know who the players are and get their names correct. Even more unforgivable when it's your own team!!

Reaction score
The sexism towards her in the Facebook groups during and post game, makes me want to punch a wall.

She's been in the business for around a quarter-century and thus her knowledge is something many of us could only possibly dream of.

Jacqui is a huge credit to sports broadcasting and people should get off her back; simply for doing her job.

If anyone here hates Female commentators, then try and go like Jacqui has get on Match of the Day as she has since 2007 and then let's have a conversation.
I don't hate female commentators per se, its the bad ones I can't listen too, those that overdo things, particularly when not needed, not everything is an Agueroooooo moment. And those that work too hard trying to convince us they know everything there is to know about football.

There are also male commentators like that too, there was a time when I could name all commentators from their voice, probably because there were less games broadcast and therefore less of them (Motson, Davies, Moore, Sinstadt, Johns) but aside from Tyler I really don't know many today because they blend into each other, the co-commentators that came in during the late 80's (Tyler and Gray SVT final) are even worse.

BTW when I wrote the OP I was comparing Jacqui in my head with male commentators.

W

WasStefan

She also mentioned that Bueno headed clear, when it was actually Kilman and Bueno had been substituted.

I've got nothing against female commentators at all and nothing against Jacqui, but it's a pet hate of mine when commentators get the names of players wrong, or confuse players.

It's a key part of their job to know who the players are and get their names correct. Even more unforgivable when it's your own team!!
They both missed things, one where they both failed to notice an offside that was given after a shot was made, and also where they said a free kick had been given to Villa by the corner flag but actually it was a throw to Wolves

Not a massive fan of Hendrie to be honest.

Ally McCoist is the best commentator going and it’s not close imo

Reaction score
Yeah, admitting he normally turns off when he hears a female commentator but he persisted and realised women can actually do what men do and commentate well on football.

Mind blown to be honest
What you've done there is made a judgement without thinking why that would be my reaction or asking why I would. You just made your call based on your view of the world and my reluctance to blindly accept it.

Ask me why I would consider that in the first and then you won't come across as so narrow minded.

W

WasStefan

What you've done there is made a judgement without thinking why that would be my reaction or asking why I would. You just made your call based on your view of the world and my reluctance to blindly accept it.

Ask me why I would consider that in the first and then you won't come across as so narrow minded.
I don’t need to ask you anything more. Your cliche’s and patronising tone in your opening diatribe say it all, i don’t blame you i blame the period you were brought up in. I’m glad you’re learning the error of your ways

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well... this is an incredibly weird thing to say. Do you try to avoid listening to women talk in all contexts, or just when they're talking about football?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They both missed things, one where they both failed to notice an offside that was given after a shot was made, and also where they said a free kick had been given to Villa by the corner flag but actually it was a throw to Wolves

Not a massive fan of Hendrie to be honest.

Ally McCoist is the best commentator going and it’s not close imo

Yeah, McCoist is very good. He just understands what's going on in the way a lot of great commentators do. I think you have to have great empathy to be a good commentator, as you can see things that are happening that others can't.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree! Plenty of male commentators get names wrong, mistake players etc..., so it's nothing personal against Jacqui. It's just that she was no better than any others and doesn't particularly inspire me, especially commentating on a team that she supports.

Reaction score
I don’t need to ask you anything more. Your cliche’s and patronising tone in your opening diatribe say it all, i don’t blame you i blame the period you were brought up in. I’m glad you’re learning the error of your ways
I guess you'll never know then, we all go through a change curve from time to time, I learnt when I was younger that we all have different starting points and you have to accept that we go through that curve at a different pace to each other. Just because you believe in a current way of thinking and have accepted it doesn't mean that it's not legitimate for other's to come to terms with it at a different pace.

It would do you credit to appreciate why I would be resistant rather than dismiss me out of hand, you may just learn something, be a bit more open-minded and set aside your prejudices, and I mean that in a nice non-patronising tone.

Well... this is an incredibly weird thing to say. Do you try to avoid listening to women talk in all contexts, or just when they're talking about football?
Why would I?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also listened to her comms. For the most part, very enjoyable, but as others noted, she did make a couple of errors of misnaming players. Hendrie was also good at his job on comms, and they worked well together.

Of note, she said during the match that Matheus Nunes had asked commentators to refer to him as Matheus rather than Nunes.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBF, plenty of male commentators get names wrong, mistake players etc..., so it's nothing personal against Jacqui. It's just that she was no better than any others and doesn't particularly inspire me, especially commentating on a team that she supports.

Yeah, and I equally give them no time of day as commentators for making such basic errors.

I have no time for probably 99% of commentators out there!! McManaman is the worst by a mile.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I felt the same when they first had the commentary on, haven't been a massive fan, but must admit I really enjoyed there commentary last night, mentioned in depth about the Wolves fans not keen on Hwang and gave some good stats.

Very difficult job to master and really do have to think on the spot to what can happen. Also with Hendrie even tho he was a big Villa fan felt he gave us some decent comments back.

On whole enjoyed it having 2 people with good knowledge of each club

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, McCoist is very good. He just understands what's going on in the way a lot of great commentators do. I think you have to have great empathy to be a good commentator, as you can see things that are happening that others can't.
Pah! He's a white male! I can't be having that kind of thing. Cancel McCoist

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You sound like the best type of woke. Don't just think your right, you know your right. Very dangerous. Good luck.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with female commentators and all commentators make mistakes especially now the subs are so prevalent
Try it for yourselves trying to talk through a game,its not easy at all for 90 minutes plus trying to look up trivia to fill in the stoppages
Theres plenty of rubbish male commentators that make my ears bleed lol

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jacqui has always been a good pundit, regardless of sport. She does a superb job of the darts too of which I much prefer the coverage on than Sky.

Gabby Logan likewise too.

Both of those two don't deserve to be used in examples of the box ticking exercise that now exists today.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it would be very strange behaviour to just choose to avoid listening to women when they talk about football.

Are there any other subjects you avoid listening to women talk about? And any subjects you avoid listening to men talk about?
Anything my wife utters, TBH.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, that was Jacqui Oatley last night? I did think it was unusually knowledgeable commentary, that explains it. Most just regurgitate the same old nonsense. Hendrie was good too. Was a far more enjoyable listen than most games, makes a difference when the speaker has an obvious warmth towards your team, and knows the ins and outs.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I enjoy listening to anyone talk (or write) about Wolves with knowledge and enthusiasm...and Jacqui added to the 1st half enjoyment, of waking up at 3am to watch.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well I apologize because I think she's terrible, but that's only because last game she did she kept calling Diego Costa - David costa

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Jacqui is very good as is Sue Smith when she summarises or is interviewed on SSN.There are other female pundits who are very good unlike many of their so called male pundits.Leanne Sanderson was doing our game from the studio last night and I don’t think she is very good.She referred to Costa not scoring many goals this season ,how about none.
I don’t care what gender people are provided they can communicate and know their stuff,but there are many who get the gig because of their name and people like Merson ,Sherwood,Redknapp and the awful Scholes drop into that category .They offer nothing /very little insightful.

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What you call an 'box ticking agenda' is to fix years of imbalance where talent didn't matter. So what you get is a range of talents until things properly balance out

No one wants a numbers game but thus far no one has a better solution because just leaving people to it results in old white men hiring old white men. Which is still a problem throughout football, journalism and broadcasting behind the scenes (tho improving).

As people get experience and as more get inspired, barriers lower and upper echelons fill with a broader range of people and different talents.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jacqui is very good as is Sue Smith when she summarises or is interviewed on SSN.There are other female pundits who are very good unlike many of their so called male pundits.Leanne Sanderson was doing our game from the studio last night and I don’t think she is very good.She referred to Costa not scoring many goals this season ,how about none.
I don’t care what gender people are provided they can communicate and know their stuff,but there are many who get the big because of their name and people like Merson ,Sherwood,Redknapp and the awful Scholes drop into that category .They offer nothing /very little insightful.
Precisely. For every bad female commentator, co-commentator or pundit there's several times more worse male equivalents

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree entirely. McCoist is the best because, not only did he play at the top level and see things others don't see, but he also has a great personality. He is clever, incisive, funny, and can say things without offending fans.

Having said that, have you seen his film - a shot at glory! - more Nicolas Cage than Al Pacino.

Back
Top Bottom