Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is Palace 97 the best atmosphere modern Molineux's experienced?

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the whole of Molineux to be on the same page, I’d say yes. The raw emotion of people that day was off the scale, tears from grown men at the start and after the game including myself.
****ty palace could t even sell their allocation!!

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought that the best was when we beat the Albion and Paul Crichton completely lost the plot because of the noise

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The noise from the liquidator at that Palace game was unbelievable
Steve Coppell said at the end of the game it was the most intimidating atmosphere he had been in in all of his years in football
He even said he could see the fear in his players before kick off, not that it worked for us on the end of course

Reaction score
There have been some up there with it, but for me it was the most intense.
I'm pretty sure Dougie Freedman said how impressed the Palace players were by the noise when he eventually signed for us.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I think Utd in the Cup Qtr was louder, but maybe just more recent in my mind.

I also think Norwich was as loud as Palace.
Thinking about the Liquidator before the Norwich game has the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. One of my favourite memories from Molineux.

henri_camara

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was Norwich the last time the liquidator got aired?

I know some think it’s a bit cringy, but if we were to bring that back the atmosphere really would improve.
yep play off semi final, Kevin cooper scored a worldie

ws1wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I’d say the palace game, followed by Newcastle and Man Utd

I read an interview with Dougie Freedman and he said on the way home the palace players were talking about the atmosphere rather than the fact they were in the play off final

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you said recent but for me that Monday night we stopped dirty ****ty Leeds winning the double beat everything hands down, even the European night
It does seem like yesterday 50years…
I am sure we all remember the things from our youth with more than fondness
Hope all the youngsters of today have better memories

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
P.S. Liquidator every match standing where you liked pay on the day meet your mates
Not so keen on the knee deep in **** but you can’t have everything

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t at Palace, but have heard it was electric from those there. I was 10, and living in Surrey so going on a school night wasn’t an option, my Dad went though.

Was at the first leg in the CPFC end behind the dugouts, we managed to keep quiet when Smith scored, and stand up and sort of try to blend in for the first two goals Palace scored. But when they got the third I remember slumping on the seat with my head down in front of me. Bloke next to me spots this, so once the pandemonium was over (remember, I was 10) says to me “Wolves fan? Bad luck, welcome to football son” and patted me on the back. At least that prepped me for years of disappointment :laughing:

Personal favourite atmosphere has to be the FA Cup QF vs Man Utd. The crowd were literally sucking the ball into the net. Rauls goal was bedlam, but the celebrations after Jota’s emphatic finish were unreal. Genuinely took the roof off it felt like.

Honorable mention for Newcastle in the Cup, that was class. More recently Man City felt pretty special too. The injustice of the Sterling penalty debacle(s) through to winning the match at the death created an atmosphere for the ages.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yes Palace was incredible. I don't think anyone who didn't experience the 90's could imagine how soul destroying the repeated attempts to escape the second division were! I guess it summed the decade up too, we gave everything, the players gave us hope, it all ended in tears.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes Palace was incredible. I don't think anyone who didn't experience the 90's could imagine how soul destroying the repeated attempts to escape the second division were! I guess it summed the decade up too, we gave everything, the players gave us hope, it all ended in tears.

The 90s was such an anticlimactic era for Wolves. If you asked anyone in England “name a sleeping giant” they said Wolves.

Each May I just remember feeling really disappointed, and then unduly optimistic by August, and then majorly reality checked by about September/ October again.

Every game the team we were playing felt like an under dog who seemed to celebrate like they’d won the cup at Molineux.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I listened on the radio and the noise was incredible, it gave me goose bumps. I remember singing along to the liquidator in the living room, it must have scared my then 2-month old son half to death but it can’t have affected him too much as he’s a committed Wolves fan now thankfully.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I listened on the radio and the noise was incredible, it gave me goose bumps. I remember singing along to the liquidator in the living room, it must have scared my then 2-month old son half to death but it can’t have affected him too much as he’s a committed Wolves fan now thankfully.

I did exactly the same, except I'd no son do stare, only my parents and brothers...

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
United in the QF was very loud, think partially due to the big allocation for Utd (4000?) and evening kick off time on a Saturday so everyone was ****ed up. Obviously the occasion and the fact we've only had 1 other semi final in my lifetime helped. Think the 90s games you had the 2 end stands singing but Utd game seemed like both those and SBU was very loud too?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palace play-off was the loudest and most intense I've experienced. Though I had laryngitis that day so wasn't able to contribute. Typical.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I was in the Billy Wright upper for the Palace game and even the hip flask brigade were up on their feet shouting and singing. The roar when the teams came out and when we scored our first was the loudest I'd heard at Molineux. After Palace equalised it drained a lot of belief from everyone and it calmed down. That Ady Williams goal at the end gave hope but I don't think anyone believed we would pull level.

The worst I've ever felt after a game was after the Norwich playoff at Molineux. It felt like we would never ever get promoted or even get to a playoff final. I hadn't long moved to the northeast and the journey home was awful. Had to be up for work very early the next day. If we'd gone through I'd have floated to work on a cloud. I made a decision that football was having too much of an impact on me after that game, spoiling my life, so I declared to my wife that it was the last game for me, no more weeks getting ruined. Roll around August and of course I was back at Molineux for the first home game of the season.

I definitely can manage my emotions and mental health around football much better now than I did then. The years of experience give you a better perspective and a realisation about what really matters in life and football.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 90’s was tough on us and very much my baptism era at Wolves.

I was at this game, but I was about 14/15 and in truth, I can only really remember two things..

The eruption when we scored our first
The energy vacuum, and sound of screams, when Hopkins scored for them

My favourite ever energy was actually at an away game.. Forest in 2009.. even though we had a way to go, when Kightly scored, it felt like everyone just knew we were going to make it.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Honorable mention for Newcastle in the Cup, that was class.
Definitely one that sticks in the memory, went to that match with my dad, it was his first time back at Molineux since he stopped going after the Waterloo Rd and North Bank had been closed, couldn't believe the atmosphere.

Plus was great to put one up Bellamy smarmy *&%$

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, Palace definitely the best.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 15 when I was at this game, remember it being amazing.
I also remember my dad absolutely hated David Hopkin, I am not sure why!

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mentioned the Albion 2-0 as I was away in The Congo for the Palace game (one of Blair’s proxy wars).
Didn’t get the result for 4 days after the event.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Think Mark Atkins scored one for us.
Have just watch the video below, Addy Williams scored our second.

Last edited:

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Some memories of the night from 25 years ago.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
David Hopkin was a fantastic goal-scoring midfielder and precisely the player we needed ourselves. I can’t say I hated him but I hated what he did for Palace.

Back
Top Bottom