Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is it Wingback time once more?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Albeit with a very limited dataset against the worst side in the league, I felt we instantly looked more comfortable within ourselves after reverting to a back 5 yesterday, and did more than alright at the back seeing as we were down to 10 for 50 minutes. Kilman and Dawson were able to play their more native game, and with Santiago Bueno set to come into contention this week, with Toti waiting in the wings, you fancy a wealth of our options will once again be in central defence.

I have seen little to suggest GON can drill this lot to be solid in a back four in the same way JL was able to (at home anyway). Like Nuno in 2021, is it time to face facts and revert to the tried-and-tested to grind out the required points? It'll be Groundhog Day again and it won't be pretty, but when is it ever? I could see a wingback team along these lines in the near future:

Sa

Dawson - S. Bueno - Kilman

Doherty -- Lemina -- Gomes -- RAN

Bellegarde
Sasa ----- Neto​

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally would switch us to a back 5 and accept our limitations as a team, as I think we’re going to have to grind results out if we want to stay up. It gives us two ways of playing:

Sa
Bueno - Dawson - Kilman
Doherty ———————————— RAN

As a base, which can then be played with:

Lemina - Gomes
Hwang - Sasa - Neto
(343)

Lemina - Gomes - Doyle
Sasa - Cunha
(352)

Lemina - Gomes
Cunha
Fabio - Sasa
(3412)
It gives us a solid base, with a plan B and C way of playing. It’s not perfect for our squad, but is the best way of staying up imo.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s a great idea but I don’t know if there is a great idea. This particular group, our right would be hammered all game, teams will overload and draw Dawson out wide all game and we’d be compromised. Dawson looks so rickety that I think he’s a sub now, or he’s in the middle of a 3 but he can’t be there for me unless he can play it out with his head.

I’d put Max back out at RCB and have Toti on the left, Santi in the middle if it’s true that he can play a long pass. It’s got to go out wide to the WBs because Lemina and Jo Gomes don’t want it, so someone’s got to get it there and Max isn’t great at that either. Sa will kick it to Gary.

On that subject, I don’t think Lemina and Gomes are a great fit in a 2 going forward, even if Bellegarde is deep. I think it’s either/or. I think in this formation Bellegarde and Gomes or Lemina, and Cunha would be behind the strikers. On the fence with Semedo-Doc but that’s the difference between a defensive back 3 and an attacking one so Doc.

Sasa, I want him on at the end of games fresh off the bench for desperate crosses, corners, defending of corners etc so I’d probably start Hwang and Neto up front. No hold up in those 2 but Cunha could be the conduit and it could be a fluid 3.

So I’d consider:

Sa
Max-Santi-Toti
Doc-Gomes-Bellegarde-RAN
Cunha
Hwang-Pedro

Press press press

T

TheConcourse

Yes.

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Doc Lemina Gomes RAN
Cunha Neto
Sasa

I’d also play Cunha in a deeper CM role.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am never sure formations make that much difference when you have forwards who don't score, defenders making individual mistakes, players getting sent off and appalling refereeing decisions. Our skill set and application need sorting more than any system imo.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we play wingbacks and Sasa (who I think will score goals), we need to look at wingbacks who can cross a ball.

On the right, neither Doc or Semedo are good crossers of the ball - but Doc always offers an out ball for the keeper (float it to his head like in the Nuno days) and Doc offers a far post goal threat.

On the left, RAN can't cross a ball. His delivery is rank.

Bueno is a very decent crosser of the ball.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa

S Bueno Lemina Kilman

Doherty Doyle Gomes H Bueno

Sarabia Cunha Neto

but wild and will never happen but Lemina can do the Coady thing, Sarabia plays to allow Doherty to go on the outside of him and I think he’s pretty underrated, it’s no coincidence we’ve looked worse using the ball higher up the pitch since he came out of the team.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Albeit with a very limited dataset against the worst side in the league, I felt we instantly looked more comfortable within ourselves after reverting to a back 5 yesterday, and did more than alright at the back seeing as we were down to 10 for 50 minutes. Kilman and Dawson were able to play their more native game, and with Santiago Bueno set to come into contention this week, with Toti waiting in the wings, you fancy a wealth of our options will once again be in central defence.

I have seen little to suggest GON can drill this lot to be solid in a back four in the same way JL was able to (at home anyway). Like Nuno in 2021, is it time to face facts and revert to the tried-and-tested to grind out the required points? It'll be Groundhog Day again and it won't be pretty, but when is it ever? I could see a wingback team along these lines in the near future:

Sa

Bellegarde
Sasa ----- Neto​
It’s an option

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope a back 5 won't make a blind bit of difference it will just increase the negative play.
Depends
3412 could be good
SA
Bueno Kilman Toti
Doc Gomes Lemina RAN
Cunha
Sasa Neto

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JRB is suspended for 3 games let's not forget.

Sa
Beuno Dawson Kilman
Doherty Lemina Gomes RAN
Neto Sasa Cunha

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to go to 5 for Saturday for Saturday. Sasa up top with Neto.

Doyle in the free role

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a yes from me, especially with Doc back

It seems to be a GON tactic that Semedo tucks in alongside Dawson at RCB when we're out of possession, which means we get absolutely shafted down the wings.

I thought it was a one off to deal with Jota and Gakpo, but saw it again on Saturday

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely yes. Suits the majority of our squad and will give us the protection and support at the back that we clearly need.
Need to keep clean sheets, and players like Cunha, Bellegarde, Neto, Hwang (and Doc and RAN) can play on the break,

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be against Man City this weekend to try and protect our goal difference. Otherwise it will be a massacre.

After then, I'm not sure. Probably not.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL made us into a team that could play a back 4 and keep clean sheets. All undone in a month by a PE teacher.
Errr, what was the score in his last competitive game? Or v Brighton? We certainly hadn’t perfected the back 4!

Also , though he did mostly play a back 4 , most of his success came playing with 3 cb’s on the pitch.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I noticed Saturday was when Dawson was dragged into wide positions first half in a 4, or second half in a 5, he looked very uncomfortable.

I'm not sure he's the answer at either right centre back, or centrally in a 3.

He's far more suited to playing in a back 4. But teams will have seen Luton overloading their left on Saturday and see that pulling him out wide works a treat.

Haven't got a clue what S. Bueno is like either, so I just don't know what's best?!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I noticed Saturday was when Dawson was dragged into wide positions first half in a 4, or second half in a 5, he looked very uncomfortable.

I'm not sure he's the answer at either right centre back, or centrally in a 3.

He's far more suited to playing in a back 4. But teams will have seen Luton overloading their left on Saturday and see that pulling him out wide works a treat.

Haven't got a clue what S. Bueno is like either, so I just don't know what's best?!
I agree I’d not have Dawson pegged for a wide cb spot in a 3. However I’d think the central role would suit him even more than a back 4; even less need to get pulled out wide where, as you say, he can look uncomfortable.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope a back 5 won't make a blind bit of difference it will just increase the negative play.
At the moment though we're playing a 460 formation, or a 640 in 2nd half when we're getting pushed deeper.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa

Bellegarde
Sasa ----- Neto​
i think you’re slightly off in your formation up top in that we’d play two wider players. otherwise completely agree

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 years ago many fans on here MM were asking us to go to a back 4.. Ever since then we've had no success really scoring less goals and been thrashed on a few occasions.

Coinciding also we had our most successful period at Wolves with Nuno with him using a back 3 / 5 ;)

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it !!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be against Man City this weekend to try and protect our goal difference. Otherwise it will be a massacre.

After then, I'm not sure. Probably not.
This for me. I don't think 3/5 at the back suits our squad now, even with Doc back, but against Citeh it's the only formation that's caused them problems in a few years! We've beat them, Brighton went to a 5 last season and won, and there was another team I forget who that did the same and got some success. Against one of the best sides there's probably ever been you just need to frustrate and hope to sneak something off Sasa's shoulder.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree with the OP that a switch to a back 3 seems necessary as things stand. I would play it for every away game and against the top ten at home. Something like below (accepting the personnel could slightly change).

Screenshot_20230925_182751_LINEUP11.jpg

Against the bottom 10 at home, when we should have the inititiative, I would then simply replace the LWB with a number 10 (eg Cunha or Bellegarde) and shift the defence across.

Screenshot_20230925_182856_LINEUP11.jpg

Our current squad is actually setup very nicely for transitioning between the two with relative ease.

The only issue with the Nuno years for me, was the lack of ability to change against the poorer teams when the onus was on us. This also meant Pote and MGW didn't get the game time they would have got, had we played 4231 against the weaker teams.

If GON just took the time to watch every Wolves game of the last 7 years, I think this answer would start staring him in the face. But he won't, so it won't.

Other things this would allow us to implement from the Nuno years are:-

Goal kicks- aim every single one at Doherty's head on the half way line and bring Lemina and Sasa within 15 yards of him in case Sa's kicking is off. The passing about at the back to beat the press works about once a season whilst it seems that almost every game it leads to an opportunity for the opposition!

Corners (Offensive and defensive) - with Sasa (6'7), Kilman (6'4), Dawson/Bueno (6'2"/6'4"), Toti (6'2"), Doc (6'1") and Lemina (6'1") all on the pitch, that would finally be the equivalent of having Raul, Dendoncker, Boly, Coady, Saiss and Doc like we used to.

Pressing - Stop doing an all over press. Sit off, pick the opportunities, target particular players and be pragmatic, rather than leaving ourselves wide open with pressing that rarely works anyway.

The only problem is the passing ability of Coady, Neves, Moutinho even Saiss is lost. To make up for that, I would be using the wings more (so it would have to be 343) and going long to Sasa with far more regularity.

Last edited:

Beckbury Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Home 3-4-3

Sa

Lamina

Dawson Kilman
Doc Ati

Gomez Traore

Chuna Sasa Neto

Away I'd make it a 3-5-2 by dropping Neto for an extra centre mid (Bellagarde or Doyle in a driving Nunes role) and playing Sasa and Chuna upfront.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 at the back works for us it’s time we do it for the greater good

Sa
Dawson Kilman Toti
Doherty Lemina Bouby Neto
Fabio Sarabia
Sasa

Bouby until Bellegarde is back

Gomes and Cunha deserve to be dropped

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Home 3-4-3

Sa

Lamina

Dawson Kilman
Doc Ati

Gomez Traore

Chuna Sasa Neto

Away I'd make it a 3-5-2 by dropping Neto for an extra centre mid (Bellagarde or Doyle in a driving Nunes role) and playing Sasa and Chuna upfront.
Drop Neto for away games? He’s our biggest single goal threat home or away & 1st name on the team sheet atm.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drop Neto for away games? He’s our biggest single goal threat home or away & 1st name on the team sheet atm.
Given many of GON's other decisions that's Neto dropped then....

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not give it a go.

Knowing we went to 3 at the back on Saturday after the Red Card, to get a draw from the game and for Pedro to score such a lovely goal was decent all things considered.

More so, we are averaging 1 goal per game in the League, compared to the 0.819 last season, when we only netted 31 in the top flight.

And as we showed against Blackpool, when it works and gets folks scoring, it really works.

Will be interesting to see how tonight pans out.

Back
Top Bottom