Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Is it time

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I’m guessing as a hugely successful investment company they will already have alternatives con
I am hoping there will be no need for alternatives and that Nuno sorts it out. However if an alternative is being considered by Fosun my concern here is our apparent reliance on Mendes whereas before we had Thelwell to counter that influence. This is potentially where the relationship creates a possible conflict of interest.

I personally think we need to appoint a top quality Director of Football as well as improvements on the pitch.

Maybe with some better footballing input compared to just thinking from an investment perspective we’d have got a better balance of bringing in players ready for the first team and not just future prospects.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is done now. He is holding us back this season. Its weakening the midfield, leaving the back exposed and not providing chances going forward either. His inclusion is effectively impacting on three key areas.

Hes been a great player - but his time has come.

Hes not the whole problem - but hes a big part of the problem. Time to drop him and stabilise the midfield - then some if the confidence will return and the rest will follow.
That does actually make Nuno the biggest part of that problem though. He plays Moutinho so much despite a string of poor performances, that I'm beginning to wonder if he's got a must-play-if-fit clause in his contract. By refusing to give significant game time to Vitinha, Otasowie et al, then we'll never be in a position to develop the heir to the Moutinho throne.

Yes, Moutinho has been absolute bobbins this season, but the bigger question is around why Nuno persists in picking him.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't their an announcement recently that Fosun acknowledged all our difficulties and would be happy with a "mid-table finish"? An aim that I fully agree with.

It all depends on how you define "mid-table", though. 9th to 12th? 4th to 17th? We are currently on course for 17th to 15th. Is that mid-table? Or "scraping survival". For a team that spent way more than Burnley/Albion/Sheff U in recent years, will they be happy with finishing just ahead of that lot? Especially if form doesn't improve dramatically, because that will have us starting next season in the relegation battle.

Perhaps they're accepting their part of the blame for this ****show.

The summer signings were poor. Even if Nuno is 100% responsible for the signings, the board will have sanctioned them - so they have to take some of the blame.

Too many young players looking for future resale value. In reality, their value has probably dropped now - so that plan backfired.

Nothing wrong with investing for the future - as long as you have one eye on the here and now too with some experienced heads brought in too.

Someone failed to focus on the here and now in the summer - and the squad weakened as a result.

As a squad, I would say our promotion winning squad, overall, had more strength in depth than the current squad.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's only by watching other teams that you realise just how bad we have become. We seem to have sleep-walked into this nightmare. For me there's only Sheffield, Albion, Toon and Burnley who play as bad/worse than us. Undecided as to what should happen.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am hoping there will be no need for alternatives and that Nuno sorts it out. However if an alternative is being considered by Fosun my concern here is our apparent reliance on Mendes whereas before we had Thelwell to counter that influence. This is potentially where the relationship creates a possible conflict of interest.

I personally think we need to appoint a top quality Director of Football as well as improvements on the pitch.

Maybe with some better footballing input compared to just thinking from an investment perspective we’d have got a better balance of bringing in players ready for the first team and not just future prospects.
A sensible perspective. Unheard of from Telford, lol. Before you kick off l was born in Broseley, lived in Ironbridge and Madeley (my mum is still there) and went to secondary school in Wellington... Just teasing mate. We need to smile at something...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we will survive this season and even the happiest of clappers can be happy with how it’s gone. I just want to get this season over with it’s been horrible for so many reasons and without fans just seems pointless
Agreed but assume that "can" in the second line should be "can't". The whole season feels like a depressing empty non-event. What makes it worse is how exciting, at least pre-lockdown, last season was.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That does actually make Nuno the biggest part of that problem though. He plays Moutinho so much despite a string of poor performances, that I'm beginning to wonder if he's got a must-play-if-fit clause in his contract. By refusing to give significant game time to Vitinha, Otasowie et al, then we'll never be in a position to develop the heir to the Moutinho throne.

Yes, Moutinho has been absolute bobbins this season, but the bigger question is around why Nuno persists in picking him.

That's why I think he needs a break. I think hes struggling to see the wood for the trees at the moment.

I think if he had a month away and came back with a refreshed pair of eyes and mindset, he'd sort it out

That's why I think he needs to go back to basics until the end of the season, have a break in the summer, then come back refreshed.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
A sensible perspective. Unheard of from Telford, lol. Before you kick off l was born in Broseley, lived in Ironbridge and Madeley (my mum is still there) and went to secondary school in Wellington... Just teasing mate. We need to smile at something...
Lol I’m too old in the tooth to kick off about that.

We definitely need to find something to smile about especially as the one shining light during lockdown is being snuffed out. My mum has just being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s dementia and I’m a firm believer the social isolation has played a big part in that.

With the awful football we are playing I fear for a lot of fans mental health.

It sets the tone for the whole week and makes lockdown even more unbearable

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be nice to hear some arguments as to why he should stay, hence me asking the questions.

As the results continue to worsen, asking people to pledge loyalty based on previous successes holds less weight.
I’m not enjoying watching us play at the moment but don’t think sacking Nuno at this time would be the right thing to do...

Two main reasons -

1. He still has enough credit in the bank for what he has achieved in the last few years. He has earned and deserves a chance to fix this.

2. A new manager coming in now would be stuck with the current players. This could be quite damaging for us given that the large Portuguese contingent are almost certainly not going to be happy if Nuno goes. It could tip us over the edge.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol I’m too old in the tooth to kick off about that.

We definitely need to find something to smile about especially as the one shining light during lockdown is being snuffed out. My mum has just being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s dementia and I’m a firm believer the social isolation has played a big part in that.

With the awful football we are playing I fear for a lot of fans mental health.

It sets the tone for the whole week and makes lockdown even more unbearable
Sorry to hear that about your mum. My own mum, who is currently in PRH after a fall, suffered dreadfully from isolation during the first lockdown. She was having all sorts of weird dreams about me and my family.

Edited to add: Me being 150 miles away didn't help.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be careful for what you wish for.

I know this irritates people, but it is so true.

Lets hope Nuno can fix the obvious issues and whilst its such a shame we have self-inflicted this decline to some degree, he is the man to address the issues.

Judge him when he has his key players back from injury. If we stay up or not, I expect major outgoings and changes over summer in the playing staff.

Hopefully with Nuno still at the helm.
I’m not enjoying watching us play at the moment but don’t think sacking Nuno at this time would be the right thing to do...

Two main reasons -

1. He still has enough credit in the bank for what he has achieved in the last few years. He has earned and deserves a chance to fix this.

2. A new manager coming in now would be stuck with the current players. This could be quite damaging for us given that the large Portuguese contingent are almost certainly not going to be happy if Nuno goes. It could tip us over the edge.
Point 2 applies to any new manager coming in at any club. Yes - they are Nuno’s players whom he has moulded and developed and of course some will be disappointed than others if he goes; but the nationality of the players should not be a factor.

I certainly agree with Point 1, but the only people that really are going to decide this are 5000 miles away.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno is relieved of his duties, it will be the most shameful act by Wolves since Stan Cullis was sacked.
I don't buy this. We've won once in 11 league games. I think most Managers in the league would've been sacked by now. He's being given plenty of time to turn it around, some would even argue too much. Certainly not shameful if we continue to struggle, the club must come first and staying in the Prem is imperative for the long term future.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't buy this. We've won once in 11 league games. I think most Managers in the league would've been sacked by now. He's being given plenty of time to turn it around, some would even argue too much. Certainly not shameful if we continue to struggle, the club must come first and staying in the Prem is imperative for the long term future.

Fair comment, and I respect your views. Though I don't agree with you that he has been given plenty of time. A lot of those games we were down to bare bones, and aside from that I still think the Jiminez injury has affected the players.

I agree that the club comes before individuals, but after the last three seasons I think Nuno has enough credit in the bank to be allowed to turn things around, which I think he will.

codsallwolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Where’d you hear that?
If it’s not from a reliable source then not sure we should be spreading it further. I mean, what if it’s not true?
Where did I say it was true?? It was something I have heard from multiple sources and others have heard the same story on here also...

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hes lost some of the supporters by reading through here - but not the players. I agree - a managers time has come when hes lost the players.

I still think Nuno is the man - but I think hes burnt out and needs a break for a month or so. His body language and lack of enthusiasm at the moment seems to be being passed on to the squad.

I think the combination of not being able to go back to Portugal, no fans in the ground, no mid season jetting off for a break like they usually do, very little pre-season and, in reality, almost two seasons of football with very little break in between because of Europe and then Covid is catching up with him. He looks drained.

Hes trying too hard to find the solution to the problem - hence all the tinkering. Nuno was never one for tinkering in the past. The problem is, hes changing the wrong things - and not spotting the glaring issues.

I think he needs to go back to basics to see this season out and start with a clean slate next season. Back three of Boly, Coady and Kilman. Drop Moutinho - and move Neves more forward. Get Saiss in midfield playing the deeper role.

That will keep the back tight - but with Neves playing further forward, he'll chip in with his long range goals again.

Moutinho is done now. He is holding us back this season. Its weakening the midfield, leaving the back exposed and not providing chances going forward either. His inclusion is effectively impacting on three key areas.

Hes not the whole problem - but hes a big part of the problem. Time to drop him and stabilise the midfield - then some of the confidence will return and the rest will follow.

I don’t think he’s lost many of the supporters, I’ve never thought that this forum is very representative of Wolves supporters as a whole. I suspect around 90% of supporters are still with him.

I do agree he looks a bit burnt out, it’s hard to hold that against him in the circumstances.

I also agree he is responsible for some of his own problems. I fully understand the idea of being a bit more unpredictable tactically this season but it feels like we have gone too far, basically inventing a brand new line up every game.

codsallwolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
do those back stabbing glory hunting entitled fools calling for nuno to be sacked realise that if we finish at our current position of 14th it will be the highest we've been for 40 years - apart from the two seasons we finished 7th . all managed by nuno.

Can you name any other wolves manager that has spent over £150m and had the worlds best football agent on speed dial also?? Thanks

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where did I say it was true?? It was something I have heard from multiple sources and others have heard the same story on here also...
I didn’t say you said it was true just that maybe we shouldn’t spread , talking about a bloke’s wife, like?
Even if it’s true, I guess.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good point. Some would have been sacked. At the least, all would have had serious questions asked about "what is going on?".

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fully understand the idea of being a bit more unpredictable tactically this season but it feels like we have gone too far, basically inventing a brand new line up every game.

I'm not sure that he's intentionally trying to be unpredictable. I just genuinely think that he doesn't know what his strongest line-up is at the moment so he's tinkering.

The problem is, he's tinkering in the wrong areas. He's replacing defenders and attackers - when it's the midfield that is the main problem. Playing Moutinho is like playing with 10 men at the moment. He's offering nothing going forward - and he's leaving us exposed going back because his legs are shot. Drop him and Donk, and put Saiss and Neves in midfield (with Neves playing further forward and Saiss playing the deeper role), then after two or three games, I think we'll start to become more rigid - which will start to bring confidence.

Doherty wasn't always given the credit he deserved on here - but we're seriously missing what he brought to the team from the right hand side too.

Instead of strengthening last summer, we weakened. Significantly weakened too.

Tufts back

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Could half the problem be Nuno apparently had talks with Arsenal mid January?

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score

Two main reasons -

Appreciate your response. For me, in answer to your points I would say:

1. Fully understand where you are coming from. I think if we don’t get a win in the next 4 games, there won’t be a decision to make for Fosun. They will have to act in the best interests of the club.

2. I honestly can’t say that Nuno is getting the best out of the players, Portuguese or not and I think that’s been the case for some time.

The concern I have is that Nuno is the glue that holds everything together. If he leaves, do some of the players follow, do the back room staff follow, is Jorge Mendes still as committed without his client at the helm?

I think I’m minded to stick with him until the end of the season unless we sink into the relegation zone.

If he does last the season and we stay up, I would seriously think about replacing him in the summer if we haven’t seen any improvement in the performances.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could half the problem be Nuno apparently had talks with Arsenal mid January?

No. Because even if that's true, mid-January was two weeks ago.

This has been going on longer than that.

I think the problems are:

1. Weakening the side in the summer rather than strengthening.
2. Lack of pre-season for two seasons running.
3. Not being able to go back to Portugal during international breaks or taking the squad on a mid-season break to 'reset'.

Nuno looks drained. It's rubbing off onto the players too.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

To be fair, and you can condemn him for many other things, Solbakken wasn't just about putting a shift in either....
Acknowledged. However he had no kind of success at all with his brand of shift-free football, so he doesn’t count.

Tufts back

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No. Because even if that's true, mid-January was two weeks ago.

This has been going on longer than that.

I think the problems are:

1. Weakening the side in the summer rather than strengthening.
2. Lack of pre-season for two seasons running.
3. Not being able to go back to Portugal during international breaks or taking the squad on a mid-season break to 'reset'.

Nuno looks drained. It's rubbing off onto the players too.
Are we worse now than we were two weeks ago?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No and I have faith in him. This a **** year, the pandemic, empty stadiums with no crowds. Nuno needs us and we need him. He is one of our own and Wolverhampton is his home.

This. It's time to support, not to get rid. This isn't a normal season.

However, something feels wrong and there will come a point soon where things have to improve. A new striker should help. I actually thought against everton we played well but losing that game has seen us on a real downward spiral. All the confidence has gone.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. It's time to support, not to get rid. This isn't a normal season.

However, something feels wrong and there will come a point soon where things have to improve. A new striker should help. I actually thought against everton we played well but losing that game has seen us on a real downward spiral. All the confidence has gone.

I honestly think that when Otto and Raul are back, Moutinho and Donk are replaced with Saiss and Neves in midfield, and we pick a formation and stick with it, we'll be fine.

At the moment, there's too many changes to formation. Too many changes to the line-up. Too many players off-form. Stick them all together, and it's killing the side.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes lost some of the supporters by reading through here - but not the players. I agree - a managers time has come when hes lost the players.

I still think Nuno is the man - but I think hes burnt out and needs a break for a month or so. His body language and lack of enthusiasm at the moment seems to be being passed on to the squad.

I think the combination of not being able to go back to Portugal, no fans in the ground, no mid season jetting off for a break like they usually do, very little pre-season and, in reality, almost two seasons of football with very little break in between because of Europe and then Covid is catching up with him. He looks drained.

Hes trying too hard to find the solution to the problem - hence all the tinkering. Nuno was never one for tinkering in the past. The problem is, hes changing the wrong things - and not spotting the glaring issues.

I think he needs to go back to basics to see this season out and start with a clean slate next season. Back three of Boly, Coady and Kilman. Drop Moutinho - and move Neves more forward. Get Saiss in midfield playing the deeper role.

That will keep the back tight - but with Neves playing further forward, he'll chip in with his long range goals again.

Hes not the whole problem - but hes a big part of the problem. Time to drop him and stabilise the midfield - then some of the confidence will return and the rest will follow.
I agree. A big part of the problem, not the whole problem, but a big part, is that one of our two top earners is now essentially no longer at the level needed to be a regular starter. Nuno is avoiding making the really hard call that Mouts is now only good enough to be a squad player, with appearances off the bench only and not even in every game. Nuno needs to break the bad news to Mouts or Nuno himself is jeopardising his tenure.

Having said the above it occurs to me sometimes that Nuno might be so ****ed off with spending so long away from his wife due to Covid that part of him is looking to get the sack (with the handsome payoff that comes with it) so that he can just go home to Portugal and chill with his family until he's ready for a new challenge. Managers hardly ever walk away from a job, even when they're fed up of it; they hang on to get the sack with the big severance package that comes with it. When Nuno's £250,000 gift to Feed the Pack was announced, part of me wondered whether it was a goodbye gesture to the fans because he knows the end is near. I hope I'm completely wrong in having those thoughts, but they're there.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Acknowledged. However he had no kind of success at all with his brand of shift-free football, so he doesn’t count.
Success wasn't one of the criteria originally given, lol. Most of our managers over the last 40 years don't count if it is!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Appreciate your response. For me, in answer to your points I would say:

1. Fully understand where you are coming from. I think if we don’t get a win in the next 4 games, there won’t be a decision to make for Fosun. They will have to act in the best interests of the club.

2. I honestly can’t say that Nuno is getting the best out of the players, Portuguese or not and I think that’s been the case for some time.

The concern I have is that Nuno is the glue that holds everything together. If he leaves, do some of the players follow, do the back room staff follow, is Jorge Mendes still as committed without his client at the helm?

I think I’m minded to stick with him until the end of the season unless we sink into the relegation zone.

If he does last the season and we stay up, I would seriously think about replacing him in the summer if we haven’t seen any improvement in the performances.
I’m not so sure Fosun will give him as long as most of us would like. Being perfectly frank, I’m not sure Nuno’s current mental state is going to allow him to turn it around. Worrying times.

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not sure that he's intentionally trying to be unpredictable. I just genuinely think that he doesn't know what his strongest line-up is at the moment so he's tinkering.

The problem is, he's tinkering in the wrong areas. He's replacing defenders and attackers - when it's the midfield that is the main problem. Playing Moutinho is like playing with 10 men at the moment. He's offering nothing going forward - and he's leaving us exposed going back because his legs are shot. Drop him and Donk, and put Saiss and Neves in midfield (with Neves playing further forward and Saiss playing the deeper role), then after two or three games, I think we'll start to become more rigid - which will start to bring confidence.

Doherty wasn't always given the credit he deserved on here - but we're seriously missing what he brought to the team from the right hand side too.

Instead of strengthening last summer, we weakened. Significantly weakened too.
Moutinho has never given us a huge amount going forward , he’s great at keeping possession, as good as any midfielder I’ve seen but he’s always been pretty low risk. None of our midfielders do. The problem when we play a three man midfield is that they are all safety first, defensive players. Which is something we shouldn’t need when we play three central defenders. It will be interesting to see , if Raul gets back to fitness and we sign Jose , if we move to two up front with a creative player (Podence / Neto / Vitinha). Not a problem for this season though.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
I’m not so sure Fosun will give him as long as most of us would like. Being perfectly frank, I’m not sure Nuno’s current mental state is going to allow him to turn it around. Worrying times.

Yeah I do think there is an element of that.

I must admit, I was quite surprised when I found out that his family was in Portugal, I just assumed they would have followed him over.

modenawolf

Reaction score
Firstly, I should state I'm pro-Nuno and believe and hope he'll be given time to turn this around.

But this team has dramatically regressed (Neto aside) since lockdown last year, and some (not all) of that has to be laid at Nuno's door, regardless of the circumstances.

However, even if Nuno were to leave, could we trust Fosun to find the right replacement? I'm very much pro-Fosun too, but let's not forget pre-Nuno they also hired Walter Zenga...

With a lack of football expertise at board level, and no DoF, do we simply risk Mendes recommending our next manager, or placing one of his clients here?

Personally, if we do make a change, I'd take stock and do it early this summer, when somebody like Villas-Boas might be available.

Until then we need to back Nuno and be eternally grateful for the good times he's given us.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I could see the slightest signs of improvement I would agree as I don't want him to fail however mistakes every game and not addressing the core issues in the centre of defence and midfield have lead us down the path.

He really only has himself to blame as weve had more than enough time to address them and don't even get me started on signing a load of kids for most of our transfer budget alongside a small squad was a disaster waiting to happen and that disaster is unfolding before us.

Technically, we have only really committed to signing Silva, the other 2 are on loan. I have no issue personally with them looking with one eye on the future, but they really should have signed more experienced players.

Back
Top Bottom