Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If we stay up.....

G

goujen

So if we stay up (Which I'm praying that we will) do you think that Mr Morgan and Moxey will right the wrongs and "spend" in the Transfer Market? To get us a top squad challenging for top 10.

Reaction score
They'll spend more, surely. This season has been a farce and they'll know we need to invest to avoid a repeat of it - also think Mick did waste a fair chunk of the money given on players like Halford, Surman, Maierhoffer etc so perhaps Morgan wasn't comfortable giving him much this summer. A new manager/Terry Mourinho may be allowed more.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Morgan will spend fortunes on a couple of players if we stay up....

No hope on one wing and Bob Hope on the other

B

bridgnorthwolf

Yes, but not as much as some would like. Wages are the sticking point I think.

This. If we do stay up, the man at the helm will be Morgan's man. Whether that's TC or someone else. He surely HAS to back him.

I don't think he will be backed to the degree that we'll spend a fortune and be as good as guaranteed to move up the table a bit, but should get the same sort of funds or hopefully a bit more than Mick had the two summers prior to the last.

Hopefully we will have a mini clearout too to get rid of some of those who aren't good enough. Well, Keogh has already gone, SEB should go to make way for better, as should Elokobi, unsure about Guedioura, some more of the young players should be moved on. I would have said Stearman, but looks like TC may fancy him more than others. JC will probably retire or certainly won't figure very much. So will recoup a few million quid and hopefully splash out a further £15 million say?

Think that would do us the power of good although every penny would need investing wisely.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if we stay up (Which I'm praying that we will) do you think that Mr Morgan and Moxey will right the wrongs and "spend" in the Transfer Market? To get us a top squad challenging for top 10.
The worrying thing for me is that if you put that question to the 2Ms they would probably tell you that they have been spending that sort of money for the last 2 years.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I would hope they do but there is so much that needs putting right first.

The quality of any purchases has to fit the 'model'....so it's about where they should be looking.

It's about the coach and where he wants the squad to be strengthened ...from that it's about the scouts knowing what he wants and where to look.....if that isn't right you get the Eggy situation where the quality is found wanting but an outlay has been made which may not be recovered...having said that I haven't given up on Eggy just yet.

M

MonkeySpanner

If we do stay up what do we do with TC? I think Morgan will look for another manager because realistically TC doesn't have managerial experience appart from coaching.

Therefor, who ever comes in, and this will be Morgans manager I think he will back him next season.

I think Morgan lost faith in Mick long before the rug was pulled and that might be one reason why Wplves only spent eight million on players this season.

S

Sandwell Wolf

They'll spend more, surely. This season has been a farce and they'll know we need to invest to avoid a repeat of it - also think Mick did waste a fair chunk of the money given on players like Halford, Surman, Maierhoffer etc so perhaps Morgan wasn't comfortable giving him much this summer. A new manager/Terry Mourinho may be allowed more.

I've said this before and I'm repeating myself here. Mick did not waste money on Halford, Surman or Maierhofer. We got back pretty much all the money we paid for them and we signed them at a time where we needed squad players to simply field an XI and a bench of 7 without including untried kids.

After a season in the Premier League, we knew these players would not cut it and sold them on. Same thing is happening now with the likes of Elokobi and Guedioura. Mick knew when players weren't good enough.

The players he has always stuck by who were continuously slated by the fans are funnily enough still here and are some of our best players. Ward for one, who everyone is crying out to be captain...

Reaction score
I've said this before and I'm repeating myself here. Mick did not waste money on Halford, Surman or Maierhofer. We got back pretty much all the money we paid for them and we signed them at a time where we needed squad players to simply field an XI and a bench of 7 without including untried kids.

After a season in the Premier League, we knew these players would not cut it and sold them on. Same thing is happening now with the likes of Elokobi and Guedioura. Mick knew when players weren't good enough.

The players he has always stuck by who were continuously slated by the fans are funnily enough still here and are some of our best players. Ward for one, who everyone is crying out to be captain...

We've not managed to shift all of them (Mouyokolo, Guedioura etc) and we lost some money on some of these players - and even when we sell them for a certain amount it doesn't guarantee it, still not got our fee from Pompey for Halford! Plus they don't come here for free, we wasted wages on them. I do agree with you at a basic level, we recouped most of the fees, but it still stands that we were spending millions without getting any good Premiership players in, that can't have given Morgan too much faith in Mick.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Surman not good enough? Only in the gospel according to St Mick. Lambert seems to be able to get him to play in the PL...

B

bridgnorthwolf

In the summer I think we need to look at a couple of players who are going to be available on a free who are ideal for areas we had been looking to strengthen.

Sasa Papac is going to be available on a free and he is a fantastic left back which we need another left back and sell George to get some cash in. Papac can also play at centre half, which would help to plug the gap left by Jody if he decides to hang up his boots. He can also play left midfield/wing too, so in effect he could be our left-sided Foley. He'd be ideal for us.

Also if Wigan get relegated and we manage to beat the drop then Diame will surely be available on a free and would be an upgrade over Henry.

Then all we really need to buy further to that IMO would be a young, upcoming CH, a midfielder a bit like Edwards, but with more technical ability and an eye for a long range shot, think Craig Gardner, who may be available for £5 million or someone like that. We could ship out Guedioura (or possibly Milijas) to make way.

And a pacy striker to give a different option up front and ship out SEB to make way. Say we spent £3 million on him. and £2 million on the young defender.

Then just sign Bassong permanently, who I think would be obtainable for £5 million.

That's £15 million and if we recouped £5 million selling Elokobi, SEB and Guedioura, maybe a touch more and maybe selling a few young nobodies like Mendez-Laing then I think we would have massively strengthened the squad for minimal outlay (in Premier League terms).

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
On a related note. Everybody seems to agree that we would need to sign more 'proven quality' performers. However, even if Morgan does make more money available, do Mixers think that TC, when coupled with the perceived current image of the club, would be a big enough name to attract these players?

Not a knock on TC at all, just interested as to other people's opinions.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF and it is a big if we survive then I suspect there might be a bit more transfer activity. But as has been said wages would be a problem always. Hope Bassong comes good and we sign him at the vey least. A really classy midfielder or two would be my priority. Bringing back Sigurdsson from Germany via Swansea would be my No.1 target.

My main concern about Connor would be how astute he would be in the transfer market where he has little experience. Morgan will never spend big imv and just try and do enough to keep us just about afloat in the Premiership.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
On a related note. Everybody seems to agree that we would need to sign more 'proven quality' performers. However, even if Morgan does make more money available, do Mixers think that TC, when coupled with the perceived current image of the club, would be a big enough name to attract these players?

Not a knock on TC at all, just interested as to other people's opinions.

Well our policy has been to buy of relegated teams so in that sense we will be attractive to most!:D.....yes, yes I know!:D

The other plus is that we spend where as others don't as much because of debt and such...which gives us a chance.

I think it will be one or two in again....with wage limits dictating the quality.

A

andyc225

Our first step must be to offload Captain Calamity. Send him back to the Blues when they come up. We could offer Craig Gardner his move home with the money.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As has been mentioned the issue has not been an unwillingness to spend money on buying players rather we are not willing to pay astronomical wages. In fact the key to SM's policy is really that we will have to persist with the young and hungry policy. This may yet see one or two youngsters coming through in the next season and also the purchasing of players from further down the league. This is shrewd and astute management in my opinion, though I suspect not everyone here agrees with me. One of the challenges that Terry will have to rise to, if he is appointed, will be to show he is an astute judge of talent.

R

RichDavi

Our first step must be to offload Captain Calamity. Send him back to the Blues when they come up. We could offer Craig Gardner his move home with the money.

If Reading are pipped by the scumbag Bluenoses to play off promotion it will be an absolute travesty

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first XI is good.

With a couple of signings/loans, it would be very good (for our level).

It's the squad that lets us down.

Gornal

Reaction score
If Wolves stay up then Morgan will feel that he was right and he doesn't need to spend any more than he did this season.

D

Dewsburywolf

But who would be our feeder club if that were to happen?

O'Hara loaned in January 2011 signed in Summer 2011
Bassong loaned in January 2012 (hopefully) signed Summer 2012

By that statistic it's Tottenham :eek:

And can we pinch Huddlestone in the Summer as well please?

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are not a big spending club. Which I approve of, it's sick.
Happy to play in The Championship quite frankly, we might also win a few games there...

H

haden-wolf

IF (I'd double the font size if I could)

Though we are all only guessing, I'd expect a director of football to come in and us to spend maybe 10m plus what's recouped from sales.
I'm not sure Morgan would spend his new Dof'S money before he came in

The Reading DoF would be a good start, we want scouts to find the next Sigurdsson ans Steve will want to pay what Reading paid not what the Germans did (in this case that's not a dig either)

D

Deleted member 3751

Think the main thing would be to increase the wage ceiling again and maybe edge towards that £50k a week on a couple of players. Transfer budget wise, I don't think we'll have that much to spend, maybe £10-15m plus a chunk of whatever can be raised through player sales but that should provide enough for three or four good signings as well as a couple of squad players especially if we lose one of our stars. Think the squad needs a bit of an overhaul.

Nero wolf

Reaction score
We need central midfielders more than anything else IMO...and a central defender.
I would be happy with three transfers,given they are of better quality on those positions that what we currently has.
I also agree that the very even wages structure needs to be broken up.We won´t be able to attract the quality needed if not being prepared to pay the wages.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the main thing would be to increase the wage ceiling again and maybe edge towards that £50k a week on a couple of players. Transfer budget wise, I don't think we'll have that much to spend, maybe £10-15m plus a chunk of whatever can be raised through player sales but that should provide enough for three or four good signings as well as a couple of squad players especially if we lose one of our stars. Think the squad needs a bit of an overhaul.

I wish we could do that but I just don't think it's financially viable unless either ticket prices are raised dramatically or we sell one of our big name players to finance it.

I'd actually consider doing the latter if we do stay up.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We dont need to spend fortunes! £10m on two decent centre backs and Frimpong on loan and as long as we dont sell any of our better players we would be fine!

Its defending that has been our downfall this yr, not attacking

Strats

Reaction score
Tut tut, I'll say it again ... not 'if' we stay up ... 'when'

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surman not good enough? Only in the gospel according to St Mick. Lambert seems to be able to get him to play in the PL...

A very good point. Surman was never given a fair chance here at the club by Mick and he has proved to be an excellent signing for Norwich and is one of the main reasons why thay have done so well this season.

Imagine how much better our midfield would be with the addition of both Surman and Mark Davies two players that were not managed well by MM and were allowed to "slip through the net".

W

Wolves Till I Die

They'd be even bigger fools if they don't spend bigger next seaon IF we stay up.

Back
Top Bottom