Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If not Lage, then who....

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would probably end up being someone like Rui Faria.
Which would be a risk.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone dirt cheap. I reckon if I wrote to Jeff and offered to pay for the privilege I would be in with a shout

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players have downed tools, that says a lot about them.
They haven't downed tools. They've lost the respect for their manager and are playing badly. This is what happens in all team sports and certainly isn't saying anything about them given we know their team spirit and characters over the years - something we get a lot of credit for.

Downing tools is refusing to play. Aside from a podence rumour, no one is doing that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no way Fosun will hit the panic button with Lage. As a business they’ll look at the hard facts in that he’s spent little and progressed us from last seasons points and finishing place. They will have little to no interest in perceived playing style as that’s something they can’t measure. Points and League position will be the measuring tape.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no way Fosun will hit the panic button with Lage. As a business they’ll look at the hard facts in that he’s spent little and progressed us from last seasons points and finishing place. They will have little to no interest in perceived playing style as that’s something they can’t measure. Points and League position will be the measuring tape.
That, unfortunately, is probably correct. If Nuno hadn't screwed up his last season and finished around 7th/8th instead of 13th, he would still be here, regardless of how ****e the football was which his team played.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They haven't downed tools. They've lost the respect for their manager and are playing badly. This is what happens in all team sports and certainly isn't saying anything about them given we know their team spirit and characters over the years - something we get a lot of credit for.

Downing tools is refusing to play. Aside from a podence rumour, no one is doing that.
'downed tools' versus 'lost respect' ? who knows, but the result is the same -- sluggish, laboured performances and a couldn't care less attitude, at least from some of the team.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Looks good in a two horse race l agree.
Hmm. Well that’s a pretty dismissive post.
Whether aimed at the Scottish League or the man himself. It was hardly a constructive reply encouraging debate or conversation.

But anyway, he’s only won an international tournament was the first manager to go back-to-back in the a-league and you can add a J-League title and Japanese Cup win for good measure.

Now he’s managed to overhaul the Celtic squad, get them playing front-foot attractive football all within 12months and will probably win a few trophies along the way.

Weren’t we aiming to transition to an attacking football side and could it be argued our squad is in need of an overhaul?

I’d take him, but it’s fantasy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That, unfortunately, is probably correct. If Nuno hadn't screwed up his last season and finished around 7th/8th instead of 13th, he would still be here, regardless of how ****e the football was which his team played.
Foreign owners who we are only a very small part of their group. They’ll judge everything on the bottom line and points/position. They have no emotional connection to the game, the club or the fans

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmm. Well that’s a pretty dismissive post.
Whether aimed at the Scottish League or the man himself. It was hardly a constructive reply encouraging debate or conversation.

But anyway, he’s only won an international tournament was the first manager to go back-to-back in the a-league and you can add a J-League title and Japanese Cup win for good measure.

Now he’s managed to overhaul the Celtic squad, get them playing front-foot attractive football all within 12months and will probably win a few trophies along the way.

Weren’t we aiming to transition to an attacking football side and could it be argued our squad is in need of an overhaul?

I’d take him, but it’s fantasy.
It wasn't intended as a dig at him. You can only beat what's in front of you. However, other managers from similar leagues have struggled in the PL in the past.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Shi/ Fosun is all about growing the " Brand" that won't happen if millions around the World find Wolves boring and switch off.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi/ Fosun is all about growing the " Brand" that won't happen if millions around the World find Wolves boring and switch off.
As much as they’d like you to believe millions of Chinese aren’t watching wolves because Fosun own us.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as they’d like you to believe millions of Chinese aren’t watching wolves because Fosun own us.

Its not just the Chinese I'm talking about.... any football purist around the world would find this current Wolves side a chore to watch, you don't attract new supporters and their cash by boring them to death.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will have little to no interest in perceived playing style as that’s something they can’t measure.
True they can't measure it, but if they are interested in growing the Wolves 'brand' - and it seems they are- they will surely recognise that the sort of football we've been playing this season is not helping....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True they can't measure it, but if they are interested in growing the Wolves 'brand' - and it seems they are- they will surely recognise that the sort of football we've been playing this season is not helping....
Do you think anyone at Fosun watches the games to notice how we play?

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think anyone at Fosun watches the games to notice how we play?
Well, there have been photos of both Jeff and Guo at home matches before now and they would only have to have seen a couple this season to know the 'brand' is unappealing.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
It wasn't intended as a dig at him. You can only beat what's in front of you. However, other managers from similar leagues have struggled in the PL in the past.
I understand the point you’re making but in my opinion it’s flawed. Am I right in assuming that you would rather have someone with success and experience in the top 5 leagues. But then there are also managers with pedigrees in Europe who have not been successful in the PL in the past. Unai Emery a most recent example.

So by that logic, for fear of a our potential new manager struggling because predecessors around the league have also failed in the PL whether coming from credentialed leagues or not. Our only options left would be managers who have previously managed in the PL before and not failed. Because that would have to then guarantee they won’t be a failure the next time around right?

Shall we poach the Poch?

Any appointment has some degree of risk attached to it but other managers’ past records in the PL and even any new incoming manager’s record in the other leagues doesn’t really have any bearing once they are in the hot seat. Once they have the job they must show the results or else they will be out.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, there have been photos of both Jeff and Guo at home matches before now and they would only have to have seen a couple this season to know the 'brand' is unappealing.
Jeff is always there including the majority of academy games, I believe Guo comes one a season.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff is always there including the majority of academy games, I believe Guo comes one a season.
would imagine Jeff would be filing reports on the club on a regular basis to his boss.
That would at least include results if not type of football being played.
Fosun website news has mentioned Wolves including Wolves Women`s winning the league

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
would imagine Jeff would be filing reports on the club on a regular basis to his boss.
That would at least include results if not type of football being played.
Fosun website news has mentioned Wolves including Wolves Women`s winning the league
That’s kind of my point. They’ll look at results not performances. They’ll see a season end with more points than last year and in a higher position which is progress on 12 months ago. This is why I don’t think Bruno’s position is under threat.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s kind of my point. They’ll look at results not performances. They’ll see a season end with more points than last year and in a higher position which is progress on 12 months ago. This is why I don’t think Bruno’s position is under threat.
But that's not how they'll operate?

Theyre marketing a brand, a symbol, if every time people mention Wolves then the words like 'dull, bland, boring' are mentioned then I don't think results will be playing such a strong hand.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Did you not watch the Newcastle, Burnley & Brighton games against us. Some of these players are a disgrace to the club

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you not watch the Newcastle, Burnley & Brighton games against us. Some of these players are a disgrace to the club
Downing tools is the wrong term, unmotivated is the best, I know the next shout will be 'well they should be motivated!' And, correct, but if we treat this as a job in the way players do, if you aren't enjoying going into work, are you going to be giving 100% all of the time?

I know when my bosses I have worked under have been unlikeable then my desire to 'bust a gut' goes down, ill do the minimum to get by, and I see this in the players.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Downing tools is the wrong term, unmotivated is the best, I know the next shout will be 'well they should be motivated!' And, correct, but if we treat this as a job in the way players do, if you aren't enjoying going into work, are you going to be giving 100% all of the time?

I know when my bosses I have worked under have been unlikeable then my desire to 'bust a gut' goes down, ill do the minimum to get by, and I see this in the players.
We last scored a goal against the vile. C’mon man how can you defend these performances as unmotivated. I’d drop most of them who aren’t performing 3 games now it’s unacceptable, especially at the highest level.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's not how they'll operate?

Theyre marketing a brand, a symbol, if every time people mention Wolves then the words like 'dull, bland, boring' are mentioned then I don't think results will be playing such a strong hand.
If we somehow snuck European football this season would that not be preferable than a 15th place finish and exciting football? Even if we finish 8th and out of Europe do you think they could market Leeds brand of football and finishing position more?

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Admittedly, performances in those three games were not the best, to put it mildly.
But, in fairness, the same players have been great, a credit to the club for a number of years.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We last scored a goal against the vile. C’mon man how can you defend these performances as unmotivated. I’d drop most of them who aren’t performing 3 games now it’s unacceptable, especially at the highest level.
I am not, I am saying it's not downing tools, it is being unmotivated. We go a goal down and the mindset isn't go and chase the game, it is let's just get this **** done and go home.

Again, remember, this is a job for these guys, not every player in a Roy Keane, the majority just want to do the job and go home (see the bust up about having to stay in London after Arsenal rather than going back to their family).

If the man who is there to inspire, to motivate, to manage, isn't managing to do that, then there's only one glaring problem.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we somehow snuck European football this season would that not be preferable than a 15th place finish and exciting football? Even if we finish 8th and out of Europe do you think they could market Leeds brand of football and finishing position more?
That's not what I said, you said it was solely results and I am saying that from a brand perspective (which is how Fosun operates Wolves) having the tag as dull and boring would lend itself into it's decision making, as well as results.

You can't sell a product, regardless of it being the best in the world, if the product itself is a terrible watch.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not, I am saying it's not downing tools, it is being unmotivated. We go a goal down and the mindset isn't go and chase the game, it is let's just get this **** done and go home.

Again, remember, this is a job for these guys, not every player in a Roy Keane, the majority just want to do the job and go home (see the bust up about having to stay in London after Arsenal rather than going back to their family).

If the man who is there to inspire, to motivate, to manage, isn't managing to do that, then there's only one glaring problem.
Lage out? I’d rather keep him

D

Deleted member drgr12429

That's not what I said, you said it was solely results and I am saying that from a brand perspective (which is how Fosun operates Wolves) having the tag as dull and boring would lend itself into it's decision making, as well as results.

You can't sell a product, regardless of it being the best in the world, if the product itself is a terrible watch.
What you say has merit as Lage was brought in for "attacking football" as we were all told in the press releases. Jeff must have noticed we are not doing that...

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
What you say has merit as Lage was brought in for "attacking football" as we were all told in the press releases. Jeff must have noticed we are not doing that...
Needs the right players to achieve attacking football. Playing Hwang, Silva, Dendonker, Trincao isn’t going to achieve that objective, ikewise the Traore situation.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which players are a disgrace and have downed tools?
Have you not watched the last 3 games they aren’t trying when there’s is something to play for. It’s a disgrace because they’ve probably been told they or a star player is going to leave.

NOBODY IS BIGGER THAN THE CLUB ITSELF WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS.

Back
Top Bottom