Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If Lopetegui walks should Jeff Shi resign?

• Yes

Votes: 176 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 20.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 21 8.4%

• Total voters

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, he's an amateur, as has been demonstrated since Nuno left. His choice in Lage was bad, his initial successor choice of Beale was even worse and then he lucked out that Lopetegui finally became available. Not to mention all the responsibility and influence he gave to Scott Sellars, who it appeared was having a direct input in our tactics for multiple PL games this season when Davis was in caretaker charge.

We've also wasted an incredible amount of money on Mendes linked players who have not improved our starting XI - Semedo £32m, Fabio £35m, Guedes £28m, Nunes £45m, Cunha £40m to name a few. Not bad players in their own right but have they actually improved us based on what we had before? No, not really.

A naive man who is well out of his depth.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone believe that Shi was the man responsible for getting Julen changing his mind and coming to the club. Shi is just a suit in a shop window. There to represent the Chinese model.
Fosun really need to rethink their strategy and bring a leader in to run this club.
For the resources we have had we should have been doing much better.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, he's an amateur, as has been demonstrated since Nuno left. His choice in Lage was bad, his initial successor choice of Beale was even worse and then he lucked out that Lopetegui finally became available. Not to mention all the responsibility and influence he gave to Scott Sellars, who it appeared was having a direct input in our tactics for multiple PL games this season when Davis was in caretaker charge.

We've also wasted an incredible amount of money on Mendes linked players who have not improved our starting XI - Semedo £32m, Fabio £35m, Guedes £28m, Nunes £45m, Cunha £40m to name a few. Not bad players in their own right but have they actually improved us based on what we had before? No, not really.

A naive man who is well out of his depth.
Lol…like none of that was Fosun dictat. Anyone would think Fosun didn’t have a 20% share of Gestifute :tearsofjoy:
So, it’s back to the old if ‘anything good happens’ - Nothing to do with Jeff
‘Anything bad happens’ it’s all Jeff’s fault.
It’s a load of ****ing immature nonsense.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol…like none of that was Fosun dictat. Anyone would think Fosun didn’t have a 20% share of Gestifute :tearsofjoy:
So, it’s back to the old if ‘anything good happens’ - Nothing to do with Jeff
‘Anything bad happens’ it’s all Jeff’s fault.
It’s a load of ****ing immature nonsense.
I'm willing to be consistent and extend the logic out if that helps, namely that the club would benefit from new ownership that has more ambition.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm willing to be consistent and extend the logic out if that helps, namely that the club would benefit from new ownership that has more ambition.
I’m not sure that holds water either. You think Fosun have no ambition for Wolves? Why did they pump £100m into the side to stay in the Premier League? Why did they go all out to get Lopetegui?
I get that they’ve dropped some hefty clangers but I don’t doubt their ambition.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't rate Shi. He clearly doesn't know football, he relies too heavily on agents that take advantage, and he seems to think we give a damn about esports.

Yes, I want him gone. Trouble is, the owners are a Chinese investment company and will probably replace him with another chinese money man that knows nothing about football.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lopetegui walks its not Shi we need to blame, but Fosun. Then our owners clearly has lost any interest whatsoever in this club, and needs to sell ASAP.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure that holds water either. You think Fosun have no ambition for Wolves? Why did they pump £100m into the side to stay in the Premier League? Why did they go all out to get Lopetegui?
I get that they’ve dropped some hefty clangers but I don’t doubt their ambition.
They pumped the money in protect their investment.

If they are looking to sell or generate money from investors the money available drops off a cliff if you go down. So it was more a profit and loss decision than a passion for the project one, or we wouldn’t have had the car crash that was our last two seasons transfer windows.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
As much as we've made bad signings, we've also failed to 'cash-in' at the right times too.

When we sold Jota, Adama was being linked for similar/higher prices, but since then we farmed him out and only got partial coverage of his wages, now probably losing for a free.

Ait-Nouri had £20-30m interest last summer, now he's 3rd choice and we'll struggle not to make a loss if he's sold

Neto was linked for £50m even when he came back from his first injury but for some unknown reason we put the 'not for sale' sign up and have even since given him a bumper-contract, gambling he'd not only get back to where he was quickly but kick-on further - that's spectacularly (albeit unfortunately) backfired.

At least we'll end up with a half-decent fee for MGW but his disillusionment about the hierarchy is hardly something to crow about. I don't think we've yet concluded Coady's transfer to Everton and that must be in doubt given that Dyche apparently doesn't fancy him

We're so fortunate that Neves is both the player and the man he is otherwise that one could've turned ugly too (and may yet do so).

Honestly it feels like since Thelwell left there's been absolutely zero strategic or succession planning while Shi and Sellers supposedly covering DOF role between them without any one having proper responsibility . Maybe Matt Hobbs' recent promotion will help fill the void...

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a counter argument, just to play devils advocate....

If Jeff did spin JL a yarn to get him here, knowing that there would not be funds or great investment going forward then that's on JL not Jeff.

Jeff will have accomplished the immediate task in hand to fend off impending relegation (a relegation that his own decisions had to a large degree attributed to).

But going forward, it's about as short termism as you could get!

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as we've made bad signings, we've also failed to 'cash-in' at the right times too.

When we sold Jota, Adama was being linked for similar/higher prices, but since then we farmed him out and only got partial coverage of his wages, now probably losing for a free.

Ait-Nouri had £20-30m interest last summer, now he's 3rd choice and we'll struggle not to make a loss if he's sold

Neto was linked for £50m even when he came back from his first injury but for some unknown reason we put the 'not for sale' sign up and have even since given him a bumper-contract, gambling he'd not only get back to where he was quickly but kick-on further - that's spectacularly (albeit unfortunately) backfired.

At least we'll end up with a half-decent fee for MGW but his disillusionment about the hierarchy is hardly something to crow about. I don't think we've yet concluded Coady's transfer to Everton and that must be in doubt given that Dyche apparently doesn't fancy him

We're so fortunate that Neves is both the player and the man he is otherwise that one could've turned ugly too (and may yet do so).

Honestly it feels like since Thelwell left there's been absolutely zero strategic or succession planning while Shi and Sellers supposedly covering DOF role between them without any one having proper responsibility . Maybe Matt Hobbs' recent promotion will help fill the void...
This, people saying we can't just "invest, invest, invest"... part of that is not only down to how bad we've invested large sums of money without really improving the team, but also down to how crap we are when it comes to selling players.

Aside from MGW, I think you have to go back to selling for Costa & Cav to find "objectively good" sales we've taken advantage of & been on the good end of the deal!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s fosun rather than Jeff but it’s a recurring issue nuno was promised funds that never came
Bruno was promised funds in his first season got nothing and now julen
This...
There's a history here, and if JL walks, that history will also be a massive obstacle in getting anyone decent in to replace him.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People discussing whether Fosun should or shouldnt invest miss the point. This isnt about that, but about what was promised to Lopetegui when he chose to come to Wolves.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
of course no one seems to be entertaining the equally plausible idea that this has come from JLs side to engineer a move to a well known london club in need of a manager that has rumoured to have been making overtures to our manager.
Nobody of any note has linked Julen with Spurs.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They may very well have ambition but enough to do what is needed to get where the fans want us to be? The extra dosh came about when they realised we were on course for relegation and this would massively impact our marketing resources. Panic rather than planned.
Their ambition may be to stay in the prem but not spend what it would take to be amongst the top clubs.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Since Lage came to Wolves until now, how much have Wolves spent? If it is a lot, then the funds not coming bit isn't true.
They didn’t strengthen the team in his first season. They did in the summer
It was obvious from both nunos and Bruno’s press conferences they’d been promised more

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This, people saying we can't just "invest, invest, invest"... part of that is not only down to how bad we've invested large sums of money without really improving the team, but also down to how crap we are when it comes to selling players.

Aside from MGW, I think you have to go back to selling for Costa & Cav to find "objectively good" sales we've taken advantage of & been on the good end of the deal!
Big difference betwenn investing and spending.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were n a European QF! An FA Cup
Semi. Battling for top 6.

A few class additions and we’d have made it. Instead we’ve ****ed away obscene amounts on absolute ****e and ruined our chances probably forever now.

Now this. It’s so pathetic, it’s embarrassing.

MORONS.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody of any note has linked Julen with Spurs.
Wolves are still looked on as dour and Low scoring, albeit JL has got some brief faint praise when the media has paused for breath in its heralding of Eddie Howe, Gary O Neil, Woy for their roles in acheiving world peace, cures for cancer and turning water into chateau nerf.
But Floppenham Bottlespur wouldn't touch one of our managers after Nuno, surely?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet another thread based on pure speculation and journalists needing a story for the gullible to swallow.
Balague is quite close to Lopetegui. Him writing it is as close to Lopetegui himself saying it as possible saying it.
And he himself has of course already stated his unhappines publicly.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if it's sod all to do with FFP or finances at all? What if Lopetegui walks, rocks up at another PL club and then his replacement here gets to spend £150m in the summer after some jiggery pokery with players in and out?

Love what Lopetegui has done for us and think he could be great for us, but he did negotiate a deal to leave the Spain job while still preparing to take them into the World Cup

So I don't think that it's quite as simple as a failure by Shi if Lopetegui walks (of course it might be, but it won't be immediately apparent)

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I see is a future case study about how to turn a company worth £130m plus into a company worth £20m.

We need a massive rebuild. We have a squad that is unbalanced; we’ve got player who want to leave; we’ve got players who fit the style of a manager who left two years ago; we’ve got too many overseas players over 21 and not enough homegrown players. That needs investment. FFP is a problem although it seems to be more of a problem for us than any other team in the division.

Some of the things I’m hearing I like, such as moving away from Mendes as the last 3 summers he’s done us no favours and actually contributed to our problems. However there does seem to be an underlying current of unhappiness and a break down of relationships. I note what @bod101 is saying about this coming from JL. His and Hobbs stature is as high as it’s probably going to be. He may well be being courted by others and JL is using the press and this success to push Fosun as far as he can to get more knowing that he can walk with his reputation held high and pick up a role very quickly, if not immediately. Hobbs the same.

When we achieved safety I was ecstatic and was looking forward to next season. But since the Villa game it’s turned to **** with one news story after another. The only positive is that this will hopefullybe resolved before season ticket renewal deadline and if JL walks some of us will have a choice as to whether to pay £600+ to watch relegation fodder.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
of course no one seems to be entertaining the equally plausible idea that this has come from JLs side to engineer a move to a well known london club in need of a manager that has rumoured to have been making overtures to our manager.
We should also consider that we shouldn’t put too much trust, ( actually, practically none, imo) in a non official story.
JL’s comments about FFP are reasonable. Considering an offer from Wolves, he and his agent would have taken Jeff at his word on new players but not asked about Wolves finances in detail. It’s Jeff’s job to find the money for players……how he does it is immaterial to JL.
( every schoolboy over 12 knows about ffp rules)

We should bear in mind that JL is used to the ways of the Spanish press and how coaches used that media.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the rumoured reports are true and Fosun promised JL funds to spend in the summer and they they go back on their word then yes Shi should resign if he was the one who promised funds
Nobody can blame JL for leaving IF the rumours are true

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Isn't this where Valencia found themselves after a few years on the Mendes carousel?
Never been a fan of Mendes, never been a fan of Jeff Shi. Have been a fan of Lopetegui

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were n a European QF! An FA Cup
Semi. Battling for top 6.

A few class additions and we’d have made it. Instead we’ve ****ed away obscene amounts on absolute ****e and ruined our chances probably forever now.

Now this. It’s so pathetic, it’s embarrassing.

MORONS.
So is your ‘Help! The sky is falling down!’ post.

Back
Top Bottom