Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

If his walk is as good as his talk...

D

Danwolf

I love how he comes across in interviews. I think if he is given time the long term future of the club with him in charge will be very good indeed. It just depends if some fans can see beyond this season or not.

Bahama Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how he comes across in interviews. I think if he is given time the long term future of the club with him in charge will be very good indeed. It just depends if some fans can see beyond this season or not.

Agreed..

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some cant see beyond the last game.

What stale says all makes sense. Now for the hard part of implementing it.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
This man is an absolute dream.....I absolutely love him. :embarassed:

I can't get over how everything he says is just as I see how it should be.

I will cry if it doesn't work for him....really.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I am prepared to sit on my hands for 3 seasons provided I see change and progress.Mick's style and type of player meant we were always going to struggle year on year,having regard to our financial constraints.
I don't want to limp back to the PL and be back here again the year after.The next time we go up it must be as a means to staying there and progressing to the next level.Unfortunately Mick was never going to achieve that.The club is in transition and fans have to accept that this may take time and need to support SS otherwise we will be having the same arguments about the likes of Bruce,Curbishley,Megson et al 18 months down the line.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has spoke more "football" and general intelligence of the game than Mick and TC have in there whole 5 year reign, infact you could add many of our previous managers to that too. But lets not forget Hoddle and McGhee both "talked the talk" but the former is what he is and McGhee i never took to from day one. Solbakken does have a good pedigree, he has won things (granted in Denmark) but a winner is a winner.

Please lets give some patience, he could really be something special should we give him time. We are (reluctanctly, i suppose) using the WBA model. But each one of there managers have left a legacy for the next one to walk into. The legacy left for Solbakken is frankly poor in relevance to the philosophy and culture change we are trying to implement. We could be in this league for another 3 years before we get up, but when we do we wont half be in a better position on and off the field than we were back in 2009.

However I fear if we don't get promoted this season and don't spend £5m on someone in January the children will be outside the Billy Wright stand demanding answers although them themselves don't even know what the question is, and demanding Moxey & Morgan to be out over lack of investment/money not spent in right areas etc when frankly these "supporters" wouldn't know how to play at Monopoly.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Monkey Man

For me he comes across well but I'll start passing judgement when I see some serious improvement on the pitch.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And therein lies the problem

There's idiots writing Sigurdasson off already.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Think he's absolutely brilliant and give time WILL be a major success. Unfortunately some of our fans don't have the intelligence to grasp the situation we are in, and that won't help.

I was a huge Mick fan, he's given us by far the most successful period in my lifetime and at it's peak, the football was definitely the best too.

But towards the end it was clear that it had become very stale and his way of playing football wasn't modern or "flexible" enough to take us beyond the lower echelons of the Premier League at best, something which a few younger managers have managed to better with weaker and cheaper squads overall.

Stale is exactly the type of man that can do just that for us.

But he has inherited a squad devoid of all confidence and the robbed of two of its best players. Has made some great signings, but obviously so many new faces won't all gel overnight, especially with the old squad plus a new manager with completely new ideas. Plus these more cultured players can get "bullied" by the usual Championship schemers and clog-it teams when they've no prior experience of it. It's a different type of football to the Premier League, let alone in foreign leagues.

But in Stale I 100% trust!

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The talking bit is easy and achieving things will of course be much harder.

Not least because it looks like one man will be expected to come up with the (real) goods.

For that he will need much more than knowing what he wants. He will need some professional football-based back-up.

And that is where it just might all fall down.

He has already commented two or three times about wages. The money raked in has not, as yet, been handed over fully to him.

It will take at least two years before anyone can really judge.

As a matter of interest. What if in three years time at contract end the club is still in the Chump and have not been anywhere near the play-offs? Should he be given more time?

For me if he has been given the right support, and the club has instigated a proper, professional football set-up, then the answer would be yes, give him another couple of years as long as the 'product' is looking better.

On the downside if by this Christmas the club is in the bottom six and looking gash then I think a quick offload is needed before the downward spiral gets worse.

Staying in the Chump is the minimum requirement.

E

Essex Wolf

I do like the way Stale goes about his business and I hope for the benefit of all connected with the club he achieves his aim but lets not forget these are just words right now and as they say actions speak louder.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am prepared to sit on my hands for 3 seasons provided I see change and progress.Mick's style and type of player meant we were always going to struggle year on year,having regard to our financial constraints.
I don't want to limp back to the PL and be back here again the year after.The next time we go up it must be as a means to staying there and progressing to the next level.Unfortunately Mick was never going to achieve that.The club is in transition and fans have to accept that this may take time and need to support SS otherwise we will be having the same arguments about the likes of Bruce,Curbishley,Megson et al 18 months down the line.

Excellent post. Would like to add that he comes across as honest and intelligent IMV.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score

Good post.......and it's exactly what SS is saying.

IMV it's not so much about the fans but more about M&M shaping up to the 'vision' and the reality of getting to and thriving in " a great competition" and "the best league in the world"

Moxey had better understand that keeping the books looking 'smart' is not what it's about.......take some hits if required as there can be no 'gain' without some pain.

D

Deleted member 4152

Agree completely. It's gonna take time and patience. The impatient fans amongst us are going to have to wait regardless of any moaning as I do not see Morgan getting rid of this guy..

E

Essex Wolf

Agree completely. It's gonna take time and patience. The impatient fans amongst us are going to have to wait regardless of any moaning as I do not see Morgan getting rid of this guy..

Morgan doesn't do a lot of things you would imagine he would or should.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like that Stale is looking longer term rather than short term. That to me suggests that he fully intends to stick around here, and is looking for more than a quick rebuild job to boost his CV.

The guy has stopped just short of actually saying "Mick did a fantastic job here - but he was taking each season at a time rather than building a long term side" - and that is absolutely spot on.

I think the point he's trying to say is "give me time - what i'm trying to do could take a year or two to fully implement - but when I achieve it, hopefully it will result in long term Premiership football".

I do fear that he'll never be given the chance before the boo boys come out though. Its been fairly quiet on here over the past week or so. I give it until the next game before the usual "this squad was good enough three years ago so we should be able to $$$$ the league again" or the "he don't know what he's doing" comments start flowing in full force again.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is encouraging that so many here can see that he is so much more intelligent than our previous managers in terms of his general approach. Even if we have a poor season I am prepared to back him long term.

Noone will be more aware than him that you have to walk the talk and that many fans and directors are impatient and unreasonable. The two Ms will be fools if they don't back him financially and use every penny of that £24m plus toward strengthening the first team. First phase of team replacement is over. There will need to be further action in January and the following summer. If he doesn't get proper backing I can see the sparks fly not only here and on the terraces but around Staale himself. We have got to back him all the way to create a long term sustainable future for the club in the Premiership not as a yo yo club desperately hanging on all the time. He/we need some luck and for the new players in particular to do the business on the pitch. But it will take time and there will inevitably be disappointments in the run up to Christmas as the team sorts itself out and a new coach presumably comes in.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Excellent post. Would like to add that he comes across as honest and intelligent IMV.

He does. And when you think, Stale is expressing himself in a foriegn language.:cool:

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I would just like to add, some excellent posts on this thread so far.

S

SimplyTheWolves

When most of us wanted a new start and with it a new direction, ethos, call it what you will, I don't think any of us envisaged us having the type of manager we have now to attempt to give us a much needed change. In my eyes he is the perfect man to give this club what it's been lacking for years, and that's it's own long term plan, not so much off the field but on it.

For years we were chasing the dream of Premiership football and we eventually got there, then we slipped back into the Championship and did the same dream chasing once again, and yet again we managed the dream. But on both occasions we went up without a plan to keep us there for the long term and the inevitable happened because of this lack of planning and foresight.

Stale does talk as though he knows what's needed for us to stay in the top flight and has realised the need for our long term aspirations as a club to stay there, these aspirations can only be realised if you lay the foundations correctly first, and only then can you start to build upon them. He knows we can't sick back and accept defeat after defeat to attempt to lay theses foundations, but he also knows that losing is going to be part of the process and these defeats will be inevitable.
I also get the impression that his ideas of the way he would like us to play will in many games have to be sacrificed purely to achieve results, and that the development of his style into the team will take longer as a result.

Consequently this plan will take a long time to develop and the changes will be slow to appear, nevertheless they will appear if we support him and give him the time and patience he's going to need to give us what we all want, and that's a football club that will be ready for the Premiership when we get there.

No manager to me has ever spoken so clearly and down to earth in what he thinks is needed for a club to achieve it's ambitions (Mr BC being the exception), and If we could have asked for someone so down to earth and understanding of our clubs needs at the end of last season I don't think many of us could have asked for someone so clearly understanding as Stale is. It's going to be hard for all of us, but we asked for change and this man 'will' give it to us, but we have to give him something also, and that's our collective patients.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is I've heard as many morale boosting speeches on here which most have agreed with. The proof is in the pudding and so far the pudding is pretty $$$$!

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
The thing is I've heard as many morale boosting speeches on here which most have agreed with. The proof is in the pudding and so far the pudding is pretty $$$$!

:dong::rolleyes:......

If you're going to pick/taste it before it is 'ready' it will be that way!....it hasn't come together yet.:wavey:

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
When most of us wanted a new start and with it a new direction, ethos, call it what you will, I don't think any of us envisaged us having the type of manager we have now to attempt to give us a much needed change. In my eyes he is the perfect man to give this club what it's been lacking for years, and that's it's own long term plan, not so much off the field but on it.

For years we were chasing the dream of Premiership football and we eventually got there, then we slipped back into the Championship and did the same dream chasing once again, and yet again we managed the dream. But on both occasions we went up without a plan to keep us there for the long term and the inevitable happened because of this lack of planning and foresight.

Stale does talk as though he knows what's needed for us to stay in the top flight and has realised the need for our long term aspirations as a club to stay there, these aspirations can only be realised if you lay the foundations correctly first, and only then can you start to build upon them. He knows we can't sick back and accept defeat after defeat to attempt to lay theses foundations, but he also knows that losing is going to be part of the process and these defeats will be inevitable.
I also get the impression that his ideas of the way he would like us to play will in many games have to be sacrificed purely to achieve results, and that the development of his style into the team will take longer as a result.

Consequently this plan will take a long time to develop and the changes will be slow to appear, nevertheless they will appear if we support him and give him the time and patience he's going to need to give us what we all want, and that's a football club that will be ready for the Premiership when we get there.

No manager to me has ever spoken so clearly and down to earth in what he thinks is needed for a club to achieve it's ambitions (Mr BC being the exception), and If we could have asked for someone so down to earth and understanding of our clubs needs at the end of last season I don't think many of us could have asked for someone so clearly understanding as Stale is. It's going to be hard for all of us, but we asked for change and this man 'will' give it to us, but we have to give him something also, and that's our collective patients.

Excellent post STW.

I agree with your last bit....there are many 'sick' (particularly on this forum) that we should offer to him as a sacrifice as a sign of appreciation! ;):D

dingle01902

Reaction score
For me, Staale is a manager who has locked horns and been equal to Pep Guardiara and Alex Ferguson in recent times. He is a proper thinking football club manager who has been playing against World Class sides succesfully.
If M + M are serious about joining these echelons, he will be supported and given time.
Remember, they werent exactly keen to sack McCarthy but were left with no choice ultimately, so as long as we are headed in the right direction I expect Staale to be here for a long time.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan doesn't do a lot of things you would imagine he would or should.

Leave him alone Essex, we probably could have better owners, but there are many infinitely worse possible owners out there.

SJH did a pretty good job replacing himself IMO. I believe SM to be a good chairman, OK we've had a step backwards, but there are many more positives if you consider the whole picture.

LaurenceHenry

Reaction score

Have you even read the article? You are absolutely missing the point.

He is explaining that it may not instantly improve. Its a long-term project. We've played 4 games.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've heard so many managers talking so much better sense than the last manager and other than Hoddle, (& maybe Clown Lee..) I've been sucked in each and every time. Dave Jones delivered then blew it and although it took a bit longer to go tits up, the same happened to Mick. Let's just see where we are come Christmas and Easter and if the football is improving, I'll start believing again.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
90% of fans will want him gone if we don't atleast make the play-offs this season. It's the sad truth, but football is a results game and how often do you see teams give a manager 3 years with a side just out of the EPL. I hope he gets it, because I do think he will turn good. But this year, i'm not expecting much.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like what he says....

“We must get the points on the short term but we can’t make that big leap overnight.

“So we have to mix it so we have points on the short term.”

“That’s also something we have to get over (losing games) because in the short-term that’s the most important thing we do.

“I felt that a little bit against Cardiff – it seemed to be a case of: ‘Ah we have lost another one, but so what?’

“No I think it’s more a case of we have to find a ‘win at all costs’ the mentality.

He acknowledges that whilst there's a long term vision we can't underestimate the importance of the short term either.

The long term, 3+ years, is made up of a number of short terms if you like, and they all need to be incremental in getting to that long term. At the moment it's absolutely neccessary to get points on the board. Solbakkens philosiphies will be so much easier to imprint on players who are happy and playing with confidence, these things will come from victories.

It's fine to say in theory we should be patient and build a side from here to compete in the Championship but is that a true reality of what is likely to happen??

If we don't go up this season and the players he's bought in do well they'll be off in the summer, with McKay as their agent and clubs sniffing around them offering 3 or 4 times their Wolves salaries this is the sad reality. Premier League football will help us to hang onto our best assets and attract others of the quality we need to establish ourselves.

Whilst we should have a degree of patience in allowing Solbakken to make his mark on the club we should not lose sight of the short term need for results to get back up as quickly as possible.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think next year will be the year we'll be expected to push on.

It's early days and I was one of Mick's biggest fans but I really hope Stale succeeds!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously this year we can forget as it will take at least a season to rid us of the 2 stooges influence.

If we can avoid relegation and see improvement then we're on the right road.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are you actually a Wolves fan? I use the word fan rather than supporter because the fact that you're always negative about EVERYTHING to do with the club isn't very supportive.

In the short time i've been here, every thread i've seen from you has been constant negativity. Not just your average negative fan that was fed up of the $$$$ we were served last season - but the OTT negativity of looking for things to pick fault at before they've even happened.

Milijas is $$$$, Ebanks is $$$$, this player is $$$$, that player is $$$$. The new manager is $$$$. The new signings are $$$$. $$$$ is $$$$. Everything is $$$$.

$$$$ me, why do you post on here? You clearly don't like anything about the club, so why don't you go and watch the Albion instead?

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noone will be more aware than him that you have to walk the talk and that many fans and directors are impatient and unreasonable. The two Ms will be fools if they don't back him financially and use every penny of that £24m plus toward strengthening the first team.

We didn't get £24m - and spending what we did get in the Championship would be an absolute waste of money. We don't need to spend that much in the Championship to assemble a decent squad.

What we do need to do is make sure that if we do go up, that money is there for spending so that we can turn a good Championship side into a half decent Premiership side with Premiership quality players, rather than "doing a McCarthy" and turning a good Championship side into a 'fighting-for-breath' Premiership side with Championship quality players with Premiership price tags.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously this year we can forget as it will take at least a season to rid us of the 2 stooges influence.

If we can avoid relegation and see improvement then we're on the right road.

The two stooges? I am guessing you mean MM & TC?? Remind me where we finished in their last season in this division.

I don't understand how we're now writing off this season. We had a disastrous season last season granted but it's not like the situation when MM took over, had 13 senior players of which most of those were over the hill or not good enough. The group of players at this club should certainly be capable of finishing in the top quarter of this division come what May.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you actually a Wolves fan? I use the word fan rather than supporter because the fact that you're always negative about EVERYTHING to do with the club isn't very supportive.

In the short time i've been here, every thread i've seen from you has been constant negativity. Not just your average negative fan that was fed up of the $$$$ we were served last season - but the OTT negativity of looking for things to pick fault at before they've even happened.

Milijas is $$$$, Ebanks is $$$$, this player is $$$$, that player is $$$$. The new manager is $$$$. The new signings are $$$$. $$$$ is $$$$. Everything is $$$$.

$$$$ me, why do you post on here? You clearly don't like anything about the club, so why don't you go and watch the Albion instead?

Oooooooooooohh!! Got your knickers in a twist!!! Milijas was $$$$! Fact. Seb has been disappointing, very very disappointing, fact! Just because I'm not creaming my pants just yet over stale doesn't mean I'm not backing him! Of course I want him and the club to succeed!! I'm just not going to get carried away over 1 $$$$ing interview And obviously u don't read my posts because I praise Doyle, Hennersey, Johnson, Henry in many posts

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The two stooges? I am guessing you mean MM & TC?? Remind me where we finished in their last season in this division.

I don't understand how we're now writing off this season. We had a disastrous season last season granted but it's not like the situation when MM took over, had 13 senior players of which most of those were over the hill or not good enough. The group of players at this club should certainly be capable of finishing in the top quarter of this division come what May.

I think Stale should be given a reasonable time to see what he can do.

However there can be no excuse for this team to be anywhere near the bottom 6 in this league, given the amount of money he has already been given to spend. I don't think that would be acceptable. Are there any circs where we should accept the club slipping into the relegation zone this season however noble this experiment?????

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And in your last paragraph you highlight the danger.

Of course he should be given time but he must at least avoid a relegation scrap this term.This why I say that if, by Christmas, the results and performances have remained the same as the first 3 out of 4, some serious questions must be asked.

He must stop the spiral of defeats and poor performances in the short term because another disasterous season would be catastrophic, obviously.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Does this mean you think the club are writing this season off or some of our fans Moira?

Back
Top Bottom