Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

I feel you could have one past player....

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ted Farmer, what a player, cut down by injury
I've read so much about Ted Farmer, and those who saw him have said he could have been one of the Wolves greats but for his injury problems. He would have been in his prime when I started going in the '65/'66 season. Him and Knowles in the same team!

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone on this thread nominating Kenny ******* Hibbitt who actually saw him play and also saw the following players play, needs their forum account suspending immediately:

Peter Knowles
Mike Bailey
John Richards
Derek Dougan
Frank Munro
David Wagstaffe

Blind sheep.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Knowles - him and Costa would be tasty. But Bully of course, Bailey, Hibbitt, Waggy - all would be lightyears better than everyone we have now bar Costa who would be just about worthy to tie their shoelaces.

Agree with all this Goldeneyed.

Those were the days and I can remember the great matches I saw with some of the names mentioned notably the League Cup win against Man City allstars.

Peter Knowles is without doubt my favourite ever Wolves player. He would have been an England regular IMO but we know what happened don't we and I respect him for his decision.

Nothing to say about the great Bully as it has all been said before.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with all this Goldeneyed.

Those were the days and I can remember the great matches I saw with some of the names mentioned notably the League Cup win against Man City allstars.

Peter Knowles is without doubt my favourite ever Wolves player. He would have been an England regular IMO but we know what happened don't we and I respect him for his decision.

Nothing to say about the great Bully as it has all been said before.

Knowles would have taken Alan Clarke's shirt at Mexico in 70 if Ramsey had had the guts to pick him and he may well have made enough of a difference to see us retain the cup.

Truly believe that.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really tought decision for me. Steve Bull. Up there with any striker of his generation in this country at his best. But I am leaning more towards Keith Curle. Experienced defender, excellent player, good leader and got a bit of mongrel about him.

M

Mr Wolf

Robbie Keane has gone on to be our most 'successful' player so it has to be him.

Happily take a 25 year old Paul Ince or Lescott also.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Robbie Keane has gone on to be our most 'successful' player so it has to be him.

Happily take a 25 year old Paul Ince or Lescott also.

Or a 19 year old Tom Huddlestone....

Not sure I've seen many better strikers of a ball in my 50 years of watching this club.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the subject is too broad a canvas without differentiating between defenders and strikers.

Bearing in mind our current need for strikers, then....

Keano.
Before him Bully.
Before him Dougan.
Before him Peter Knowles.
Before him Peter Broadbent, etc....

Anyone of the above 5 would be fine! :)

Reaction score
I'm from the North and saw Kenny Hibbit on a few occasions when Wolves played at Newcastle in the 70's.Actually thought his late Brother Terry was the better player!

F

FLEET WOLF

The OP asked for one player but what if it had been say 4 or 5 players (the number PL has said are needed) what would you say? For me it would be these from McGarry's team. Richards, Dougan, Hibbitt, Bailey and Munro. Much as I loved Bully I would exclude him as he did not get his goals at the top level unlike king John. I would also exclude Waggy not because I did not think he was great, he was, but in Costa, Cav and maybe Graham we already have quality out wide.
It is always difficult to compare different eras, but I think Waggy was a cut above Costa, certainly Cav and Graham at present. George Best reckoned he was the best left winger he ever played against and that is some accolade!!

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the subject is too broad a canvas without differentiating between defenders and strikers.

Bearing in mind our current need for strikers, then....

Keano.
Before him Bully.
Before him Dougan.
Before him Peter Knowles.
Before him Peter Broadbent, etc....

Anyone of the above 5 would be fine! :)
What about John Richards?

F

FLEET WOLF

Or a 19 year old Tom Huddlestone....

Not sure I've seen many better strikers of a ball in my 50 years of watching this club.
Yes, I have always rated Huddlestone and I think with a bit more pace he would have turned out a real top player.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
One past player for the Championship next season.. Steve Daley.

Steve would give our midfield strength, would drive us forward.. and be ideal in the rough and tumble of the Champ.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to respond, can't even spell his name properly!!:mad:

Peter Knowles for me!
Peter Knowles also, assuming he played on and retired in his mid 30s.

As exciting as George Best on his day. Chatted to him a few times after he finished playing - really nice guy. What a loss to football...

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon Knowles became a better player in fans' eyes after he retired to become a Jehovahs Witness.
Hibbitt, Richards, Bull.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon Knowles became a better player in fans' eyes after he retired to become a Jehovahs Witness.
Hibbitt, Richards, Bull.
You might be right regarding Peter Knowles; after he retired he came something of an icon, but still the most exciting player I've seen at Wolves (but perhaps not quite the best).

His very short term partnership with Alun Evans had fabulous potential - strange that neither was able to fulfill it.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frank Munro. The finest centre half I have seen in our colours.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Robbie Keane. Get us all off our seat - skillful, young, creative, cheeky. Perfect entertainment value.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. From a more pragmatic viewpoint though, how good would it be to to have a fully fit Matt Murray in goal for us?

It would be incredible! It pains me that my Premier League supporting friends just won't acknowledge how cruel his career being cut short was. Two things:

1) Joe Hart would have far less England caps
2) Matt Murray would be being talked about as one of the greatest Premier League GK's of all time - and most likely not for performances in a Wolves shirt

It's almost impossible to calculate but the season we reached the playoffs under Mick McCarthy I'd love to know how many points Murray won us directly. He was immense.

Back
Top Bottom