Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

I’ll get my Coote

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our old friend Mr Coote has been “ relieved” of his VAR duty for the Liverpool game at the weekend
Wonder why ?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does Mr Coote cone from Trafford by any chance? Utter joke to even think about asking ref to review Albion pen.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’ve got a horrible feeling there will be a huge panorama programme in a few years about corruption and Match fixing and it turns out people like Coote are bent as ****. Hope I’m wrong but sometimes you can’t help but think

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve got a horrible feeling there will be a huge panorama programme in a few years about corruption and Match fixing and it turns out people like Coote are bent as ****. Hope I’m wrong but sometimes you can’t help but think

I'm with you Jade

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will happen.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish people would speak out, forget the fine speak out, put these names out there and in public consciousness, it is killing the game

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I can remember the shock and horror back in the sixties when the match fixing scandal broke. No one believed such a thing could happen in English football. Could another fixing scandal erupt over VAR? I hope not, but fear the worst, as something is just not right.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do Liverpool get to choose their officials ?

can we choose ours ?

are there any we would actually choose n

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do Liverpool get to choose their officials ?

can we choose ours ?

are there any we would actually choose n
Atkinson is best by a good way. Oliver was good but recently seems to have regressed.

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We should be able to hear what they're saying, like Rugby. The only reason they'd be against that is because it would expose their incompetence. Also, why not have press conferences for refs? They made a decision they should be able to justify it

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our old friend Mr Coote has been “ relieved” of his VAR duty for the Liverpool game at the weekend
Wonder why ?
Hacks me off how they feel that a ref is too poor for a Liverpool game but the rest of us have to put up with them. If they aren’t good enough for Liverpool then they aren’t good enough full stop.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agree Jade.
I've said since its inception that VAR is a betting syndicates dream introduction to the game.
At best the officials are incompetent, though the more I see the more I think this isn't the reason, at worst they're corrupt, either way they shouldn't be anywhere near English football, let alone top flight English football!!!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hacks me off how they feel that a ref is too poor for a Liverpool game but the rest of us have to put up with them. If they aren’t good enough for Liverpool then they aren’t good enough full stop.
Always used to pee me off when we were in the Chump and had some clown reffing who had ****ed up in the PL and been knocked down a level.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no doubt that referees are involved in match fixing and that VAR is the ultimate choice of tool.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tonight again. Shocking decision. Surely the ref had to be called to the pitch side TV ? Liverpool though so doesn’t count.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jonzy you are not a stupid guy, if I had magic incontrovertible proof do you think I would post on a random forum, or I would provide that evidence to the authorities?

However when you look at how many VAR issues get inexplicably ignored, how certain teams get very soft penalties while other teams can have fouls committed against their players that would land us in a police cell, how there's a complete lack of scrutiny and transparency, there is no change for being 'incompetent' and unable to see things laymen can, the whole thing stinks.

Your previous assertions on the subject have basically been "this happens in elsewhere, but we don't have corruption in England, because we're English", which is basically the referee equivalent of "these foreign players can't do it on a cold night in Stoke". Whenever you have money and no transparency you have corruption.

And I don't think the match fixing is of the type that "Arsenal need to lose 1-0 tonight, here's your brown envelope", but the more subtle type of making sure that over the course of a season teams get more favourable outcome and other teams do not. "If Arsenal have a last minute penalty appeal make sure it doesn't happen unless it's so blatant you have to give it".

As an example, Manchester United getting ridiculous penalty decisions got them a CL spot last year, and millions and millions of pounds.

Or another example, some of the decisions that went against Wolves last year. If I was going to fix matches, that's how I'd do it.

Also, Liverpool essentially being able to determine referees by ensuring those such as Coote aren't selected for their matches reminds me of the Calciopoli scandal where clubs influenced referee choices.

You have secret decisions made by unaccountable people with loads of money hinging on results, and tools that allow them to selectively enforce rules and arbitrarily ignore events. We have inexplicable decisions that favour specific (wealthy) teams.

Believe they're all honest as the day is long as much as you want. I think a bunch of them are bent crooks on the take.

Edit: I'll also point out that players these days have much less incentive to match fix in the PL due to the large amount they get paid, there is no sense risking your career for 30K if you make that in half a week. Referees do not get paid particularly well compared to the money sloshing around the game, can have a massive influence on the results, have mostly subjective rules that they can say "in the opinion of the referee", and organisations like the FA and PGMOL that will protect them even if they bring a gun out onto the pitch and shoot someone.

Referees have the most incentive to match fix out of anyone on the pitch. Everyone else is a multimillionaire, as are most of the people on the sidelines.

If you look at the 'worst' refs in the league as well, they earn a lot less. Coote, Hooper, and Mason are reported to earn 48K p.a., Attwell 70K. A couple of bungs of 500K to help say Utd get a CL spot would be a huge amount to people on such a salary, while being well worth paying given the money rewarded.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Jonzy you are not a stupid guy, if I had magic incontrovertible proof do you think I would post on a random forum, or I would provide that evidence to the authorities?

However when you look at how many VAR issues get inexplicably ignored, how certain teams get very soft penalties while other teams can have fouls committed against their players that would land us in a police cell, how there's a complete lack of scrutiny and transparency, there is no change for being 'incompetent' and unable to see things laymen can, the whole thing stinks.

Your previous assertions on the subject have basically been "this happens in elsewhere, but we don't have corruption in England, because we're English", which is basically the referee equivalent of "these foreign players can't do it on a cold night in Stoke". Whenever you have money and no transparency you have corruption.

And I don't think the match fixing is of the type that "Arsenal need to lose 1-0 tonight, here's your brown envelope", but the more subtle type of making sure that over the course of a season teams get more favourable outcome and other teams do not. "If Arsenal have a last minute penalty appeal make sure it doesn't happen unless it's so blatant you have to give it".

As an example, Manchester United getting ridiculous penalty decisions got them a CL spot last year, and millions and millions of pounds.

Or another example, some of the decisions that went against Wolves last year. If I was going to fix matches, that's how I'd do it.

Also, Liverpool essentially being able to determine referees by ensuring those such as Coote aren't selected for their matches reminds me of the Calciopoli scandal where clubs influenced referee choices.

You have secret decisions made by unaccountable people with loads of money hinging on results, and tools that allow them to selectively enforce rules and arbitrarily ignore events. We have inexplicable decisions that favour specific (wealthy) teams.

Believe they're all honest as the day is long as much as you want. I think a bunch of them are bent crooks on the take.
The thing is I have been there in amongst it and have friends there now .Nothing was ever said and the ones I know who are there now say exactly the same so they must be keeping a big secret .

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its happened before and will happen again , the world is a big place.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Edit: I'll also point out that players these days have much less incentive to match fix in the PL due to the large amount they get paid, there is no sense risking your career for 30K if you make that in half a week. Referees do not get paid particularly well compared to the money sloshing around the game, can have a massive influence on the results, have mostly subjective rules that they can say "in the opinion of the referee", and organisations like the FA and PGMOL that will protect them even if they bring a gun out onto the pitch and shoot someone.

Referees have the most incentive to match fix out of anyone on the pitch. Everyone else is a multimillionaire, as are most of the people on the sidelines.

If you look at the 'worst' refs in the league as well, they earn a lot less. Coote, Hooper, and Mason are reported to earn 48K p.a., Attwell 70K. A couple of bungs of 500K to help say Utd get a CL spot would be a huge amount to people on such a salary, while being well worth paying given the money rewarded.
Without accusing anyone in particular, I think that is a very plausible scenario. There are outcomes that, it could be argued by some with a vested interest, are 'for the good of the game' such as MU getting a CL place, which opens the taps on world-wide TV income streams which wouldn't be there for most other teams. The alternative is to assume the inconsistency is down to incompetence pure and simple. But It's getting more and more difficult to accept the 'incompetence' explanation.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest beneficiaries of VAR overturns last season were Brighton.

Biggest beneficiaries so far this season? Everton, Sheffield United and Southampton. Team affected negatively the most by over turns this season? Liverpool.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy though. Refs being paid 500k, absolutely laughable.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I am not saying the game is free of corruption but who exactly would be the Mr Big and who would be the one/s to get into the ear of Referees ?To be effective they would all have to be in on it and then there would be the risk of leaks.
As I have said I have friends who are both Referees and AR’s on the current list who I have known long enough to know how honest they are and I am sure there is nothing going on .To that end there is some resentment and disquiet in some quarters about the suggestions that they are on the take .
I put it down to lack of proper leadership and the constant tinkering with the laws of the game most of which worked perfectly well until the idiots thought otherwise and then it boils down to competence .

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not saying the game is free of corruption but who exactly would be the Mr Big and who would be the one/s to get into the ear of Referees ?To be effective they would all have to be in on it and then there would be the risk of leaks.
As I have said I have friends who are both Referees and AR’s on the current list who I have known long enough to know how honest they are and I am sure there is nothing going on .
I put it down to lack of proper leadership and the constant tinkering with the laws of the game most of which worked perfectly well until the idiots thought otherwise and then it boils down to competence .

They would not all have to be in on it, that's the first mistake you make. If you turn 1 or 2 referees that would probably be enough over the course of a season, while minimising the risk of leaks. And the more subtle you are, the much more difficult it is to detect.

Who would have an incentive? People at the FA "for the good of the game" because United in the CL is deemed better for the 'product' than a team like Wolves. Wealthy foreign owners. Gambling syndicates. Anyone who stands to benefit financially, which is a lot of people.

If you look at the scandal in Italy that happened with club owners and governing bodies of the game. It has already happened elsewhere, it's not one of these things that 'could never happen'. The biggest problem with Italy was that too many people were on it which is why they eventually got caught - and it still took several years despite massive collusion. Now imagine instead of 10 officials, 5 teams, and a bunch at the governing body, it's a couple of refs and a guy or two at the FA. And if the guys in Italy used burner phones they wouldn't have had the calls intercepted and been caught either.

And to say nothing of organisations like FIFA and UEFA being marred in corruption over the years. You think the FA could never be involved when it happens at the top of the game? Because I don't.

To that end there is some resentment and disquiet in some quarters about the suggestions that they are on the take .

Well then alarm bells should be going off non stop if "people think we're so bad at our jobs that we're on the take".

You'll have to point me to the law changes that say "Harry Maguire, in the opinion of the referee, is allowed to body slam opponents in the penalty area for the purposes of preventing direct attacks on United's goal". Or "crippling VVD with scissor kicks at thigh height are legal moves".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom