Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry - but amid the GON love-in from fans and media, he MUST take responsibility for the fact that a clearly unfit and very poorly performing player was still on the pitch in the second half. It beggars belief that Fraser and the other young lads (all older than 'Klopp's kids'?) are not deemed good enough to put in a performance better than Hwang managed yesterday. If they truly aren't, then they need moving on quickly - and if they are, PLAY THEM!
This is absolutely fair enough. Or change the system like Gary did in the end.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry - but amid the GON love-in from fans and media, he MUST take responsibility for the fact that a clearly unfit and very poorly performing player was still on the pitch in the second half. It beggars belief that Fraser and the other young lads (all older than 'Klopp's kids'?) are not deemed good enough to put in a performance better than Hwang managed yesterday. If they truly aren't, then they need moving on quickly - and if they are, PLAY THEM!

They probably aren't good enough to play in the Premier league yet. In fact it's pretty clear that's O'neills view too.

Looking at what % of players from any Academy setup make it to the very top shows that too.
Even when you have a generational academy talent such as we had MGW, it still takes years of experience and loans until you can rely on them.

The whole failure lies with our lack of investment. Not GON's refusal to use Academy players.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is also worth pointing out the difference in experience between Klopp and GON, the latter has been brilliant but is still learning his trade. It is not as simple a decision as you suggest.

Reaction score
The situation with Hwang on Wednesday night was a product of the club not investing in another number 9 or keeping one of the two they had on their books at the start of January.

Players are now showing signs of fatigue and, although we have been relatively lucky with regards to injuries thus far, I fear we may see more of this in the coming weeks as we try to manage the small squad as best we can. Arguably, GON has compounded this situation by very rarely moving away from his 'trusted' first 11 or 12 players but sometimes he as had very few options.

Hwang was playing really well prior to the Asia Cup and, in my opinion, had one of his best ever games in a Wolves shirt v Everton just before he left but he picked up an injury whilst away and has clearly struggled since returning.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's not complicated really is it?
Is he a lovely chap - certainly seems so.

Is he hard working - always, hence why he used to get shoved wide to work up and down the wing.

Is he a striker - in the 'fox in the box' sense of finding good space and reading where the ball might go and sticking it in the net, yes.

Is he a no 9 - not suited to leading the line and going up against a CH to compete for long balls, sadly he's the closest we've got, as the next in line is a kid who we need to look after.

Does he provide a threat in behind - he's looked quite quick at times this season, but carrying a couple of knocks certainly not.

No need for anyone to take an extreme position on him, just look at what he can do, what he can't do and what he's being asked to do (more the latter).

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difficulty with Hwang is that when he’s slightly off it his confidence dwindles and he gets progressively worse as the game goes on. I say difficulty because he’s also the best finisher at the club which means the manager must have really conflicting feelings about bringing him off just in case a half chance falls to him.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not complicated really is it?
Is he a lovely chap - certainly seems so.

Is he hard working - always, hence why he used to get shoved wide to work up and down the wing.

Is he a striker - in the 'fox in the box' sense of finding good space and reading where the ball might go and sticking it in the net, yes.

Is he a no 9 - not suited to leading the line and going up against a CH to compete for long balls, sadly he's the closest we've got, as the next in line is a kid who we need to look after.

Does he provide a threat in behind - he's looked quite quick at times this season, but carrying a couple of knocks certainly not.

No need for anyone to take an extreme position on him, just look at what he can do, what he can't do and what he's being asked to do (more the latter).

In my opinion, he's the perfect player to have as a utility forward option.

I think the long-term plan is Cunha left, Neto right, with a proper number 9 down the middle. Despite his goals, Hwang probably couldn't argue too much with that, depending on the caliber of striker.

Hwang's best position is probably coming in off the left flank into goalscoring positions, but he's not going to be picked ahead of Cunha there long-term.

He's shown he can play effectively across any positions in the front 3.

He's also a great player to have for games where pressing is important.

I would always want him as one of 5 or 6 options for the front 3.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out for six weeks according to Liam Keen.

Hopefully he'll be close to returning for the run of games starting in April.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out for six weeks according to Liam Keen.

Hopefully he'll be close to returning for the run of games starting in April.

Dear dear dear. Our attack is stuffed without him and Cunha. This could be a painful few weeks unless one of the young lads comes good. We shot ourselves in the foot in January.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good old Wolves.

Putting the dic (about) or the dice (which we have rolled and gambled) in predictable.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose the only good thing about this is that we WILL definitely bring in a no 9 this summer. Not sure what we do in the short term now. I don't think Fraser is good enough to start tbh and Bellegarde certainly ain't a striker. We've Fulham and Cov before the break and GON needs to find solutions to this issue if we are to win both those games.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of our players are only on the bench because it looks poor to have an empty place. Look at our bench against Newcastle.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dear dear dear. Our attack is stuffed without him and Cunha. This could be a painful few weeks unless one of the young lads comes good. We shot ourselves in the foot in January.
But we didn’t need to sign a striker as we scored more goals than last season.:rolleyes:

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
When’s Cunha back?

Similar time frame to Hwang I believe. Maybe end of March if we’re lucky.

Was always going to be a massive risk not strengthening in Jan given Hwang’s persistent muscle injuries and Neto’s last couple of years. Said on Weds we are one injury away from a front line of Sarabia and one of Bellegarde or Fraser. If Neto is out for any length of time, the Cov game becomes very tricky.

Had to keep one of Fabio or Sasa, or bring at least one striker in.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Similar time frame to Hwang I believe. Maybe end of March if we’re lucky.

Was always going to be a massive risk not strengthening in Jan given Hwang’s persistent muscle injuries and Neto’s last couple of years. Said on Weds we are one injury away from a front line of Sarabia and one of Bellegarde or Fraser. If Neto is out for any length of time, the Cov game becomes very tricky.

Had to keep one of Fabio or Sasa, or bring at least one striker in.
Yep. Considering we are within a few hours of loaning Fraser to Shrewsbury shows how ready he is.

Hope they’re back for the cup semi final……

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we didn’t need to sign a striker as we scored more goals than last season.:rolleyes:

Ha ha. I see what you are saying.
Nothing to do with how many goals we have scored. All about out woeful lack of depth we have been left with. Most of us on here knew this may happen when discussing our attacking options throughout January and our lack of them.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha ha. I see what you are saying.
Nothing to do with how many goals we have scored. All about out woeful lack of depth we have been left with. Most of us on here knew this may happen when discussing our attacking options throughout January and our lack of them.
I had this literal discussion on here at end of window when I was told why was I worrying we are scoring more, and we didn’t need anyone! In life you’re better prepared than reacting

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But but but we didn't need a striker in January apparently. Jeff Shi is an absolute clown
There’s a difference between not needing one, and not being able to afford one. And seeing as we have 38 points already and we aren’t falling foul of sustainability rules, it looks like he’s not the clown you think he is. Maybe you should stop drinking on match days? You wouldn’t get so irrational and abusive.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had this literal discussion on here at end of window when I was told why was I worrying we are scoring more, and we didn’t need anyone! In life you’re better prepared than reacting

Proactive and not reactive. Not something Mr Shi seems to do.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a difference between not needing one, and not being able to afford one. And seeing as we have 38 points already and we aren’t falling foul of sustainability rules, it looks like he’s not the clown you think he is. Maybe you should stop drinking on match days? You wouldn’t get so irrational and abusive.

We had money in January but left it too late to try and sign the Brazilian striker. There was money to get someone in and they failed to do it. We are now paying the price for our squad being too small. Not Gary or the squads fault but those above.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
We had 2m spare incredible that we couldn’t get at least one striker for that.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shouldn't have moved Sasa or Fabio on if nobody was coming in all our own doing.

I recall GON wanted a wide player as well which didn't happen which has left us threadbare.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Shouldn't have moved Sasa or Fabio on if nobody was coming in all our own doing.

I recall GON wanted a wide player as well which didn't happen which has left us threadbare.
Just makes no sense.

Sasa inevitably broke down as soon as he was asked to play regular football.
Fabio barely coping in Scottish League.

Neither would have offered us anything.

Also probably saved pretty much all the headroom we have in wages, so not even sure if we could have afforded to keep them!

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just makes no sense.

Sasa inevitably broke down as soon as he was asked to play regular football.
Fabio barely coping in Scottish League.

Neither would have offered us anything.

Also probably saved pretty much all the headroom we have in wages, so not even sure if we could have afforded to keep them!
Better than what we have right now which ilis nothing.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a little ironic that you apparently wish to praise Shi for getting us out, by the skin of our teeth, from the very crap that his previous poor decision making had landed us in.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither would have made a difference
Yeh like Sasa hadn't won't us points this season.

Ifs buts and maybes either way we've stuffed ourselves with lack of options and the issues of a striker have been going on since Rauls injury.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let's be honest, this season O'Neil has papered over the Fosun cracks, big time. They have no strategy and no idea how to run a football club either off the pitch nor in the transfer market.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a little ironic that you apparently wish to praise Shi for getting us out, by the skin of our teeth, from the very crap that his previous poor decision making had landed us in.
It’s only ironic if I held your ridiculous point of view.
Nobody objected to Guedes being signed, or Cutrone. Fabio? Yep, we definitely screwed up on that one.
But as I have stated in previous posts on the matter, there are over 35-40 other signings made in the Fosun era that weren’t ’poor decisions’
Then we look at managers; They sacked Nuno because the football was getting really bad. Hire Lage fresh from a Portuguese League win and seemed at the time a decent decision. Hindsight proved Wolves showed too much loyalty but you can’t know that until, well, you know that. They fought to get Lop which saved our season and then rightfully, kept an iron fist on finances. Lop left because of this correct decision and now we’re secure both financially and in the Premier League.
You want to cry like a child every time something bad happens, then at least be happy when something good happens. Anyone would think you didn’t watch football or support Wolves prior to 2016.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s only ironic if I held your ridiculous point of view.
Nobody objected to Guedes being signed, or Cutrone. Fabio? Yep, we definitely screwed up on that one.
But as I have stated in previous posts on the matter, there are over 35-40 other signings made in the Fosun era that weren’t ’poor decisions’
Then we look at managers; They sacked Nuno because the football was getting really bad. Hire Lage fresh from a Portuguese League win and seemed at the time a decent decision. Hindsight proved Wolves showed too much loyalty but you can’t know that until, well, you know that. They fought to get Lop which saved our season and then rightfully, kept an iron fist on finances. Lop left because of this correct decision and now we’re secure both financially and in the Premier League.
You want to cry like a child every time something bad happens, then at least be happy when something good happens. Anyone would think you didn’t watch football or support Wolves prior to 2016.
I think that we have found Shi's Mix posting ID. Talk about re-writing history to the extent of near sychophancy. Sacking Nuno was arrant nonsense. Lage always looked out of his depth, the process to replace him was farcical and nearly cost us our PL place, and pushing for JL only to make him promises which couldn't be fulfilled made the club look untrustworthy.

Not to mention losing most of the decent football backroom staff and replacing them with bloody Sellars and Dr Death.....

Last edited:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that we have found Shi's Mix posting ID. Talk about re-writing history to the extent of near sychophancy. Sacking Nuno was arrant nonsense. Lage always looked out of his depth, the prixesa to replace him was farcical and nearly cost us our PL place, and pushing for JL only to make him promises which couldn't be fulfilled made the club look untrustworthy.

Not to mention losing most of the decent football backroom staff and replacing them with bloody Sellars and Dr Death.....
Oh dear. I actually thought I was replying to a mature adult. Apparently I was correct in comparing you to a child.

Back
Top Bottom