Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How would Billy Wright cope with the modern strikers

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now that modern strikers and central defenders have evolved into powerful pacey athletes and being anything between 6'3" and 6'7" tall,I wonder if our own Billy Wright would cope in the modern game.Although he was spring heeled and could out jump a lot of taller forwards he was only about 5'8" tall.
Perhaps some of the older supporters,of which I am one,would like to comment.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you remember, Billy Wright was originally a half back and only moved to centre half later in his career. It's a different game today, less skill but fitter and faster so difficult to say how he or any of the others of that era would have done. Some would have fitted in well, (Eddie Clamp and Nat Lofthouse spring to mind) but others may have struggled. Watching players like Peter Broadbent play was always a great pleasure but much of his skill would probably be coached out of him these days and he certainly wouldn't get as much time on the ball. Definitely enjoyed the game more in those days than watching today's overpaid prima donnas.

H

howlin wolf

Billy was as is stated particularly spring heeled and could head and jump, however one of his fortes was the ability to time a tackle to perfection. Bit like Bobby Moore really. Good to see the name of Eddie Clamp mentioned. In my opinion one of the most underated players in the game. Great defender and at times made Roy Keane look somewhat , fragile, although having said that was always fair and solid with his tackles, great player.

M

Markwolf

Maybe a better full back? Like a reversal of Rob Edwards?

ROVERT47

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never saw him play,well i did when i was about 5 but you can't count that.

I have had this debate with my Dad (who is 80 and saw him throughout his career) on several occasions.

My Dad said although he was quite small he had tremendous spring and won a lot of ball in the air.

My argument and not just with Billy Wright, but Football in that era entirely, is pace.

I think the fitness levels and speed of the game is so much improved now that it is difficult to compare.

A

arthur williams

To make a comparison between then and now, you would have to give the players of the old era the benefit of modern dietary and training methods of today.

ROVERT47

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To make a comparison between then and now, you would have to give the players of the old era the benefit of modern dietary and training methods of today.

Peter kay's famous "Garlic Bread?" quote springs to mind.

A

arthur williams

Its the same as saying how would todays players fared against the old era players under the conditions that they endured. Ploughed muddy fields, in all conditions playing with leather soggy caseball with blinding potential laces and fabric that turned shirts into overcoats in minutes of drizzle. Something akin to hobnail boots with wooden studs. No nonsense, centre forwards who could break your neck and you would have to play on. Career ending tacklers who would sinically hack you down and/or threaten to lamp you if you got past him again.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The balls used today are like beachballs compared to the ones of the 50's. Makes any comparison meaningless.

ROVERT47

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the same as saying how would todays players fared against the old era players under the conditions that they endured. Ploughed muddy fields, in all conditions playing with leather soggy caseball with blinding potential laces and fabric that turned shirts into overcoats in minutes of drizzle. Something akin to hobnail boots with wooden studs. No nonsense, centre forwards who could break your neck and you would have to play on. Career ending tacklers who would sinically hack you down and/or threaten to lamp you if you got past him again.

Ahh,the good old days ay.

When you could enjoy rickets and diptheria and feel cosy every winter in a choking smog.

H

howlin wolf

I remember Ricketts playing for us , but dont remember the Diptheria fellow.

JAIRDUCOCHET

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The quote about the SMOG always makes me think, when I was young we used to get some realy bad foggy days when you could not see down the road. Polllution is supposed to be so much worse nowadays , but we don't get the SMOG , someone explain please ?

E

EasternWolf

ahh there you have it Arthur ... Billy would have been down at Compton all week with the modern stuff around him so you cant really compare the 1950s players as such, you have to compare the men of the 50s with those of 2007 and so on. I think he would have done very well, probably playing in the Henry/Potter role. He would have revelled with the modern light ball. Most of us oldies remember the old leather ball and going home with the impression of the lace etched in our foreheads. In many ways it was harder then and in others harder now. But a good player is a good player is a go...

S

Stans the man

I once tried an old style ball and remembering the tales about them - and considering it all to be old tosh - gave it a good smack. Thought I'd broken several bones in the process.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I once tried an old style ball and remembering the tales about them - and considering it all to be old tosh - gave it a good smack. Thought I'd broken several bones in the process.

Yes, you need proper boots & good technique. Toe-bunting probably would result in broken bones. I used to avoid heading the $$$$er as well, if at all possible.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toe-bunting would clearly have led to severe name calling.
"Who you calling a flag"..

CITIZEN ERASED

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
two things spring to mind when reading the thread title...

How would BW have dealt with the modern diving striker?...

and how would BW have dealt with the modern day ref?

im not too clued up on the player truth be told..but im sure i read somewhere he never got booked, and whilst an above poster mentioned his ability to time a tackle to perfection...i cant imagine he got it right everytime! but im going to hazard a guess that the refs back then were a little more leniant than the card happy sort you get these days, also i find it hard to beleive he'd have never gotten booked if he had to face the likes of Drogba, Diomansy Kamara and other suchlike divers...

E

Emperor Wolf

Just like any other sportsman from any other field in...sports compared to the athletes of today,I think Billy Wright would have gotten moided!
No,hadn´t the privelige to see Billy Wright play.
Just comparing those big stars of that era with those we hve today.
It´s like that in all sports.I watched alot of films of the greatest p4p fighter of all time..Sugar Ray Robinson.
He wouldn´t even be a contender today.
Natural development of mankind.
Sugar Ray would have gotten moided as well IMO.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BW would have adjusted, he only liked to win...forget the Gentleman hype....he would still be a winner in Gold and Black.:)

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just like any other sportsman from any other field in...sports compared to the athletes of today,I think Billy Wright would have gotten moided!
It´s like that in all sports.I watched alot of films of the greatest p4p fighter of all time..Sugar Ray Robinson.

Sugar Ray was an athlete in any time and would have 'moided' the nancy boxers of the 21st centuary.....them ain't hard boy them are puffs compared to the back street maulers.

U

UNCLE REMUS

Different Games. Billy would have adapted to the modern game. His forte, the Hungary game excluded, was the reading of the ball. Not many players even by todays standards have that ability. The reading of the ball and the game make up in many ways for lack of stamina and pace.

How many modern footballers would have coped with the ball, the tackles and certainly the conditions. Had a kick about with a modern ball the other day and it was like trying to control a beach ball in the wind.

U

UNCLE REMUS

There never will be boxers that compared with the Middleweights of the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Ali, was a superb athlete also

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Different Games. Billy would have adapted to the modern game. His forte, the Hungary game excluded, was the reading of the ball. Not many players even by todays standards have that ability. The reading of the ball and the game make up in many ways for lack of stamina and pace.

How many modern footballers would have coped with the ball, the tackles and certainly the conditions. Had a kick about with a modern ball the other day and it was like trying to control a beach ball in the wind.

Paul McGrath springs to mind.....lack of pace, but reading of the game put him yards infront of opponents.

U

UNCLE REMUS

Paul McGrath springs to mind.....lack of pace, but reading of the game put him yards infront of opponents.

There always used to be a saying when I was playing.

"Make the ball do the work"

Certainly as defender it is quite easy if you've got half a brain, because the ball should always be in front of you. Billy said in one film saw that Buckley saw that he would never make a forward because he had is back to the ball and couldn't turn , but looked a different player, when he was attacking the ball, so he became a defender.

E

Emperor Wolf

Well,I agree we disagrees then.
Any sport,comparing those guys from 40+ years to those today-the oldtimers would lose badly.
Just think about Tennis.I still rate Rod Laver as alltime number one..but I honestly don´t see him win a game against Federer.
Sampras would have lost as well,not to mention Björn Borg.
Football is no different.

U

UNCLE REMUS

Well,I agree we disagrees then.
Any sport,comparing those guys from 40+ years to those today-the oldtimers would lose badly.
Just think about Tennis.I still rate Rod Laver as alltime number one..but I honestly don´t see him win a game against Federer.
Sampras would have lost as well,not to mention Björn Borg.
Football is no different.

Unfortunately we will never know.

But once an athlete always an athlete, with ball games its eye, ball coordination if you haven't got that don't even start.

With Boxing, you are talking about guys that had nothing and the only way out was to fight.

Carmen Basilio
Sugar Ray
Rocky Graziano
Stanley Ketchel
Marvin Hagler
Carlos Monzon
Paul Pender
Gene Fullmer
Terry Downes
Dick Tiger

To name a few

E

Emperor Wolf

Well,that is true Uncle.
Boxing wasn´t perhaps the best of sports to mention to underline my opinion.
Just want to say that I doesn´t downgrade Billy Wright in any type of way.He is without a doubt the best Wolvesplayer of all time IMHO.
That he wouldn´t be able to compete today,again IMHO,is just natural.
Regarding those fighters..Marvelous Marvin would still be competable(?),but that´s down to a granite chin and the fact is his prime as a fighter ain´t that far back in time.
Stanley Ketchel(a fighter I rate very high indeed)would have been laughed out of any ring nowadays.Just an example.
Mankind gets faster,gets taller,jumps higher,jumps longer..over time.Even taking the steroide effects away,that is the case.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...........Regarding those fighters..Marvelous Marvin would still be competable(?),but that´s down to a granite chin and the fact is his prime as a fighter ain´t that far back in time......

One of my heroes, still can't beleive that the Judges gave his last bout to Leonard on points. Was pleased that Marvin resisted all temptations for a comeback and has kept his faculties.

PL jaspa888

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you remember, Billy Wright was originally a half back and only moved to centre half later in his career.

Can some of our older contributors please clear this up for me, as it has bugged me for ages...

Was BW a centre half or centre back? Similar query for Duncan Edwards.

I always thought BW was a centre back, the equivalent of a modern day central defender, and DE was a centre half (i.e. central midfielder).

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
! but im going to hazard a guess that the refs back then were a little more leniant than the card happy sort you get these days, ...

Some time after Wright retired, but there's an incident on the History of Wolves DVD, where the opposition goalie & a Wolves forward are both lying unconscious in the area following a collision, & yet Wolves are still allowed to play the ball back across goal for Ernie Hunt to score.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jaspa...Billy Wright was what was known "in the old days" as a wing half (midfielder now, usually left sided) in his early career and reverted to centre half (centre back as is known now) later in his career. He also on occasion played inside forward, he also played for England too in this position if I remember correctly. Duncan Edwards was also a wing half (midfielder) for Man. United. Hope this helps.

U

UNCLE REMUS

Well,that is true Uncle.
Boxing wasn´t perhaps the best of sports to mention to underline my opinion.
Just want to say that I doesn´t downgrade Billy Wright in any type of way.He is without a doubt the best Wolvesplayer of all time IMHO.
That he wouldn´t be able to compete today,again IMHO,is just natural.
Regarding those fighters..Marvelous Marvin would still be competable(?),but that´s down to a granite chin and the fact is his prime as a fighter ain´t that far back in time.
Stanley Ketchel(a fighter I rate very high indeed)would have been laughed out of any ring nowadays.Just an example.
Mankind gets faster,gets taller,jumps higher,jumps longer..over time.Even taking the steroide effects away,that is the case.

Marvin Hagler was at his peak 27 years ago. The best Middleweight I ever saw though and forgot to mention him, was Rubin "Hurricane " Carter, boxed for a relatively short time was was "homicidal" in the ring.

Boxing isn't the sport that it was, believe me. I have every "Ring" magazine from 1954 to 1970 and the fighters in those days had an aura that boxers haven't got today. To me you can fight or you can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UNCLE REMUS

Jaspa...Billy Wright was what was known "in the old days" as a wing half (midfielder now, usually left sided) in his early career and reverted to centre half (centre back as is known now) later in his career. He also on occasion played inside forward, he also played for England too in this position if I remember correctly. Duncan Edwards was also a wing half (midfielder) for Man. United. Hope this helps.

Duncan Edwards altough predominatly a left half back, could play anywhere on the pitch, I am sure he would have played in goal if they had let him. A giant of a man and one of my boyhood heroes. The unfortunate thing was that he was a schoolboy on Wolves books, until Jimmy Murphy took him to United.

E

EddieClamp-tops

Although Billy was never booked it was only because of the time when he played. I have seen a wonderful photograph in one of my Wolves books of Billy leaping to turn a shot over the bar with his hand - against Chelsea I believe. Then a penalty, now a red card!

S

Staten Island Wolf

No conjugals the night before a game was the in thing back then1:(

E

Emperor Wolf

Uncle,
Marvin is one of my favourite fighters as well.Guess it´s quite hard to say when he peaked..he was awesome for the 70´s but didn´t got a shot at the title until Minter..a fight you brits probably have no problem recollecting.
Regarding Leonard vs Hagler in my mind it was another vegas decision,allthough Sugar Ray did it in a competent way.I had Hagler winning the fight by two points.
Definetly agrees that Boxing ain´t what it used to be.The way it was PPW really destroyed it regarding the talent pool.Many a potential fighter that didn´t get accustomed to the sport when growing up,and therefore never started Boxing in the first place.
Dodgy promoters always been around though,so I tend to think the days they took the big fights away from national TV was the real killer for the sport.

E

Emperor Wolf

Best,most fun to watch fight i´ve ever seen was Hagler vs Hearns.
Better than Foreman vs Lyle.
A fantastic fight by two fantastic fighters.
Get it on youtube if you haven´t watched it!

Back
Top Bottom