Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

How old to attend?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I came up on the coach with London Wolves when not too, too much older than your son. Then I travelled up on the train occasionally. Times were different then - it was far more dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!! Football is like going to the theatre now - far too sedate!

D

Deleted member 6526

I was around 14, had to find the ground as despite living in Wolverhampton and spending half my free time window shopping I had never even been past the ground. Wasn't many if any families then in the south bank either but the tickets were cheap (£5) and I used to puff my chest and pretend I was an adult just in case.

I once was at an away game as an adult, and saw some young lads from the home team getting verbal abuse from a few of the many wolves fans (the kids were the only home fans walking this route in the opposite direction). Needless to say the wolves fans doing this got told to ****ing shut up by other wolves fans and if any of them had done anything else I dare say that they would have been stopped very physically. No football fan from any football club will stand by while kids of any team are getting any abuse in anyway, that was even true in those violent times.

F

FLEET WOLF

On a slightly different tack, the first away game I was allowed to go to with a mate was Derby County at the old Baseball Ground (around 65/66) I was 12 years old and I was threatened with violence by a Derby County 'girl'.
She was about 16 in both years and stones!!!
I only just lived to tell the tale because I could run faster.
She is probably 26 stones by now!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lad is 13 soon and wants to go to some games on his own (with his mates).

And I thought I was a cool dad ! Oh well :confused:

I was just wondering what age kids are allowed to go in the ground unattended?

I went to my first game unattended when I was 12 (played Southampton - Shilton was in goal). But those were different times and I'm unsure if there are rules around this now?
I'm sure he is Ok and he's with his mates but as a 'cool' dad myself, I understand. I used to go regularly with my mates and brother from the age of 10. My first mstch was aged 7, my brothers 10 and 17 respectively. Wonderful memories of Wolves in the 70s. I took my eldest son to his first match when he was 3 but have not let him go on his own yet but we are based in London. He's Wolves mad thank God. The kids are the life blood of any club. Sort of wish we could do more kids for a quid and get more of the local kids down to Molineux so they can experience what a lot if us did when we were young. Those were the days! These are the days.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cracking game! Sorry for being a pedantic **** mate but it was a Paul Cook peno that equalised before Kevin Keen got the winner iirc.
Pretty certain it was Boxing Day too , maybe 1994 ?

D

Deleted member 4594

You honestly remember these games, fair play?
It’s a strange thing mate, I remember some things from years ago clearly, loads of goals, Paul Cook getting the ball straight in his *******s at Birmingham, Mark Atkins being pushed into the fence at Southend, a brilliant Mike Stowell save against Bolton etc but other things don’t stick at all. I know Bright scored against Barnsley at Molineux at few months ago, I was there, I would have definitely seen it but Iv got absolutely no memory of what the goal looked like?? :confused:

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
93/94 season I think mate. You could be right, it was definitely around Christmas time.
Yeah it was 93/94 so it was Boxing Day 93 ... went to about 12 home games that season as an 11 year old then had first season ticket in the south bank the season after ...

S

ShropshireLad

My lad is 13 soon and wants to go to some games on his own (with his mates).

And I thought I was a cool dad ! Oh well :confused:

I was just wondering what age kids are allowed to go in the ground unattended?

I went to my first game unattended when I was 12 (played Southampton - Shilton was in goal). But those were different times and I'm unsure if there are rules around this now?
I wouldn't trust some kids I've taught at the age of 13 to travel to and from school without getting up to mischief. Others I would almost trust my life with them. It entirely depends on your lad, matey. ;)

D

Deleted member 3518

It’s a strange thing mate, I remember some things from years ago clearly, loads of goals, Paul Cook getting the ball straight in his *******s at Birmingham, Mark Atkins being pushed into the fence at Southend, a brilliant Mike Stowell save against Bolton etc but other things don’t stick at all. I know Bright scored against Barnsley at Molineux at few months ago, I was there, I would have definitely seen it but Iv got absolutely no memory of what the goal looked like?? :confused:

I honestly couldn't recall with any detail the games earlier in the season, never mind 15 years ago.:confused::mad:

D

Deleted member 3573J

I remember a game against Southend in 1994 and it's more vivid in my mind than most of the games this season. I can still see Walters cutting inside and curling it in with his left foot as if it was yesterday.

M

Mr Wolf

Picking up & dropping off they’ll be fine at 12 generally. I’d say getting the bus in & back by themselves probably 14 minimum.

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was 10 i think verse Ipswich. Recall we lost 0-2. Was in old north bank right at the front.

D

Deleted member 4594

I remember a game against Southend in 1994 and it's more vivid in my mind than most of the games this season. I can still see Walters cutting inside and curling it in with his left foot as if it was yesterday.
I’m exactly the same. I can remember that goal clearly. I also remember the south bank chanting “gypo” at Ricky Otto all night which is a bit strange looking back!

S

ShropshireLad

Took my daughter at 7 to her first game and as a result she wanted a season ticket like her dad. Shes 8 now and still loving it. School teacher called me over just before Xmas as her and the niece had been chanting on the playground at some **** fans “were coming for you” god knows what else she could’ve said though....
As Edge would say, "I love it!" :D

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly couldn't recall with any detail the games earlier in the season, never mind 15 years ago.:confused::mad:
But it doesn't work like that for most people. Old memories don't fade as fast as new ones. My old man is 93 and he can still give you a blow by blow account of the 1949 FA Cup SF, but not what he had for breakfast this morning. Different parts of the brain are affected differently. Short term memory is one of the first things to go.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it depends on your kid personally rather than an arbitrary age.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
:eek::eek:I’m shocked that the Oxford game we were on about was in 1994. That means that my V flicking daughter was only 4.

I’ll pull her bloody pigtails when I get home.

S

ShropshireLad

:eek::eek:I’m shocked that the Oxford game we were on about was in 1994. That means that my V flicking daughter was only 4.

I’ll pull her bloody pigtails when I get home.
:eek: She still has pigtails in her late twenties? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ShropshireLad

Good edit. No she’s a deputy head at a school in Bala. I’m not taking her on.
I know the feeling. My eldest is 25; she was dreadful as a teenager and although she's calmed down a lot she has her moments which are a lot worse. :eek::oops:

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was 9 - 10 when I went to my first Wolves game alone,(1964) with my next door neighbour, same age. Before moving to Bloxwich, and seeing the light, I was at THAT ****e place as a 8 year old, again with kids my own age. I don't know what our parents were thinking.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I lived in Northwich when I was young. My dad tried me out at Witton Albion`s ground when I was five or six.
Barely watching the game, I ran up and down on the terrace behind the goal and swung on the crush barriers.
I was seven when I saw my first Wolves game, guess I must have been old enough to concentrate more.
The recent passing of Jimmy Armfield made me think of that first game v Blackpool in Sep 1964, he played that day.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've attended on my own since I was 7 or 8 years old. I'd knock up a big fry up before I left the house, walk 10 miles to the ground, have a few in the Fox and the Feathers, then more often than not be at the front of the aggro on the South Bank. I'd be chugging the woodbines at half time then it'd be more of the same second half. TWTDMF

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 6 or 7 when my Dad first took me to a game, and 10 when I went alone, but that was in Denmark and in the 80's so it wasnt excatly overly crowded.
I plan to take my 7-year old to watch our local team, Brondby soon, and just hope its not one of those days when the fans throw dead rats on to the field...
Oh and then again, she'd probaly find that rather amusing..

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 16 when I went to my first Wolves game by the way.....
My parents were pretty cool letting me go, especially as I had to fly over with 2 mates from Copenhagen, and stay for over a week....
What a party we had....

Back
Top Bottom