Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hi Ho Silver Lining

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listened to WM's post match coverage on Saturday and heard Hi Ho Silver lining being played at Hillsborough. Since when have Sheffield Wednesday had it as one of their songs? I know Villa use it but who else uses this? I always thought it was most closely associated with us.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Wednesday have been singing it for about 50 odd years

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listened to WM's post match coverage on Saturday and heard Hi Ho Silver lining being played at Hillsborough. Since when have Sheffield Wednesday had it as one of their songs? I know Villa use it but who else uses this? I always thought it was most closely associated with us.
Wednesday have had it donkeys years.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After QPR did humanity a big favour and dented Dirty Leeds promotion chances they were playing it then and I thought we really need to get rid of it.
The same thing applies to every other song, or piece of music we have ever played, turned out to, or sung. Nothing original, apart from the Happy Wanderer I would guess. The quest for originality has never troubled football supporters, or stadium management in the past, in Wolverhampton, or indeed anywhere else. Most of the time people have adopted any old tune and appropriated it as necessary.
Who knows which club first used Silver Lining and who really cares? It's not got any actual relevance to any particular place, or team, and the only entity with any propriitorial claim to it is the estate of the late Mr Beck, who incidentally went on record as thinking it to be about the least important, if not most embarrassing, element of his otherwise respected back catalogue.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same thing applies to every other song, or piece of music we have ever played, turned out to, or sung. Nothing original, apart from the Happy Wanderer I would guess. The quest for originality has never troubled football supporters, or stadium management in the past, in Wolverhampton, or indeed anywhere else. Most of the time people have adopted any old tune and appropriated it as necessary.
Who knows which club first used Silver Lining and who really cares? It's not got any actual relevance to any particular place, or team, and the only entity with any propriitorial claim to it is the estate of the late Mr Beck, who incidentally went on record as thinking it to be about the least important, if not most embarrassing, element of his otherwise respected back catalogue.
I would perhaps suggest "Those were the days" although bearing in mind that it's release date was 1968 and the fact that it reached No 1 in the charts, I can only think every team in the football league would have had a claim on that one, from Carlisle United to Bradford Park Avenue.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would perhaps suggest "Those were the days" although bearing in mind that it's release date was 1968 and the fact that it reached No 1 in the charts, I can only think every team in the football league would have had a claim on that one, from Carlisle United to Bradford Park Avenue.
Exactly so! A song with a "nostalgia" theme that could have appealed to many teams whith "past glories" to muse over. It could also have been sung anywhere first and how many would have the evidence to say otherwise, in the days before Sky TV and when people didn't feel the need record themselves on phones every minute of the day?

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

While he said it was basically his pension I know Jeff Beck could not stand " Hi Ho Silver Lining " :)

Your point is a very good one about the same tracks turning up at various grounds or sung by fans. I like teams who have a song that is their own, if that is not just contradicting what I just said !

This is why I like it when we sing " Those were the days " , When Birmingham fans give it " Keep right on to the end of the road ", Stoke with " Delilah " and West Ham with " I'm forever blowing bubbles "

I found it comical about 20 years ago or more when all sorts of crap teams would come out on the pitch to " Simply the Best " :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hi Ho Sheffield Wednesday rolls off the tongue better than other clubs I think and yep they've used it for a long time.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Basically half of English clubs who can put their name into four syllables sing it.

I've thought for a while it would be better to keep it back unless we win - take the Quo place.

The Premier League theme is the one I most want rid of, though. I don't mind Kashmir.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While he said it was basically his pension I know Jeff Beck could not stand " Hi Ho Silver Lining " :)

Your point is a very good one about the same tracks turning up at various grounds or sung by fans. I like teams who have a song that is their own, if that is not just contradicting what I just said !

This is why I like it when we sing " Those were the days " , When Birmingham fans give it " Keep right on to the end of the road ", Stoke with " Delilah " and West Ham with " I'm forever blowing bubbles "

I found it comical about 20 years ago or more when all sorts of crap teams would come out on the pitch to " Simply the Best " :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
We were that team!

Don't forget Bristol Rovers' 'Goodnight, Irene' among the more idiosyncratic song choices (apparently relates to Plymouth Argyle according to Wiki).

Don't know how fans of Everton & Newcastle expect to sing along to instrumentals though.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those were the days just before Kick Off, Hi ho post half time anything but Status bloody Quo after a victory.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were that team!

Don't forget Bristol Rovers' 'Goodnight, Irene' among the more idiosyncratic song choices (apparently relates to Plymouth Argyle according to Wiki).

Don't know how fans of Everton & Newcastle expect to sing along to instrumentals though.

Where Everton are concerned I can see why they come out to " Johnny Todd " as originally it is a folk song with lyrics about a sailor from Liverpool. Of course as I dare say you know the instrumental version Everton use, was the theme to Z-Cars. I wonder if @Watfordfc knows why the Hornets also use it ?

Going Home by Mark Knopfler the tune that Newcastle use is from that wonderful film ' Local Hero '. While it is a great tune it is not what I would say is a song for a team to run out to.

Wolves coming out to Simply the Best had the hand of Moxey all over it. He would have wanted that song as a tribute to himself after Steve Morgan farcically called him " the best in the business ". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Where Everton are concerned I can see why they come out to " Johnny Todd " as originally it is a folk song with lyrics about a sailor from Liverpool. Of course as I dare say you know the instrumental version Everton use, was the theme to Z-Cars. I wonder if @Watfordfc knows why the Hornets also use it ?

Going Home by Mark Knopfler the tune that Newcastle use is from that wonderful film ' Local Hero '. While it is a great tune it is not what I would say is a song for a team to run out to.

Wolves coming out to Simply the Best had the hand of Moxey all over it. He would have wanted that song as a tribute to himself after Steve Morgan farcically called him " the best in the business ". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Apparently we had a manager ( Bill McGarry)?in the 60s who liked the show and it has stuck since despite a couple of attempts to have Elton obviously.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of clubs with four syllables, whether Queens Park Rangers, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday or Wolverhampton.

It was therefore first used by Li-ver-po-ol.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm just impressed we're talking about a football song that didn't originate at Anfield.

No one wants to mention it Mate because before you know it word will out there that a Wolves fans thread is daring to suggest that teams have songs their own fans started. The internet would be full of irate Scousers claiming that it is a ' fact ' that everything is originally from Anfield :D:D:D

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
No one wants to mention it Mate because before you know it word will out there that a Wolves fans thread is daring to suggest that teams have songs their own fans started. The internet would be full of irate Scousers claiming that it is a ' fact ' that everything is originally from Anfield :D:D:D
We must proceed with caution mate! Don't you know that the city of Liverpool invented football and music? :tearsofjoy:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The senimental fool in me says Those Were The Days.

I like Hi Ho Silver Lining, though, and other clubs singing it doesn't really have an impact on what I think of it. I suppose, though, I have a bias because I will never ever forget how I felt when I heard it in person for the first time.
Hi Ho WOLVERHAMPTON used to be awesome it’s a little over played by us now I think

Loojay

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Definitely need to bin it off. Get Kashmir on instead for Robert Plant. Followed by Immigrant Song

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The senimental fool in me says Those Were The Days.

I like Hi Ho Silver Lining, though, and other clubs singing it doesn't really have an impact on what I think of it. I suppose, though, I have a bias because I will never ever forget how I felt when I heard it in person for the first time.
You haven't lived until you've heard a full house at Molineux do the Liquidator.... The Palace playoff.....

Back
Top Bottom