Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

"He's ****ed off Tone" ... Tony Butler RIP

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
great memories. Was he still banned from Molineux? He did an infamous talk show with supporters and Wolves refused to field a club representative although it was held at Molineux....so he tore them a new one on air about all the problems at Wolves.
It was when Hoddle was manager and i remember he said something like "somebody should tell Hoddle the idea is to kick the ball in the bloomin' net and try and win games. This Wolves team isn't trying, they're using Saturday afternoons to practice passing triangles and ripping the fans off." Didn't go down that well to be fair.

I remember he invented the 'controversial' argumentative phone in that continues to this day, especially in Birmingham. He'd been to work in America and listened to the shock jocks over there and thought he could shake it up a bit over here.....it didn't matter if he agreed or not, just argue to get a reaction and they'll keep ringing you up. The template's been going for 40 years now.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't he used to give away egg cups or something, and people woud ring up just to get a free egg cup?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted to hear about Tony Butler.

He lived just up the road from me and drank in my local.

I’m certainly not ‘bubblin‘ Tone.

God bless.
As I saw him a few times in that area I always imagined he lived near the Mermaid (Bridgnorth Road)

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Sad to hear.My brother went to Highfields with his son .Years later I was invited into the studio to watch how his show was put together on a match day .He said when he went to grounds for a report they all knew a 30 second summary was 30 seconds and no longer and if they went over he used to curse.
I remember when he returned to WM he rang my wife as a surprise call on air on her 30th birthday for a chat .
He was a local legend on local radio airwaves
RIP

cowshed

Reaction score
I knew him very well from his time in the early 60,s when he worked for the Chronicle, writing about Wolverhampton Cricket Club, he also did a programme about my uncle,
Had drinks with him in The Greyhound, Lower Penn

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I remember he used to come in to The Greyhound at Lower Penn when I worked there around 45 years ago. He was a distinctive broadcaster.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
The passing of a true Midlands legend.

Local radio is so important, and this guy epitomised it.

The phone in is where he made his mark. According to the Stokies, their <Praise and Grumble> show was the first, closely followed by Radio Sheffields <Praise or Grumble>.

BRMB's phone in with Tony was where many of us discovered this unique culture. I say it is unique, I try to explan to people here in Norway what local radio is and what a phone in does and the point of it. They just don't get it. They are told on the news what is happening by journalists and politicians and they just decide that it must be right. They have never learned to question anything, or hear others opinions on a subject, be it sport, politics, life in general. It's very sad and partly explains why they are a nation of largely subservient people.

Nobody does radio like the British, and the West Midlands in particular.

What a contribution from Tony Butler.

Last edited:

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
Met him in the Billy Wright concourse in the 90' having a bet . Nice bloke. Rest in peace Tony. I'll get me prayer mat out

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an awful start to the weekend, to read this.

A true legend.

RIP Tone

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad news.Condolences to his family and friends.Rest easy Tone.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Condolences to his family and friends. If you’ve lived in the Midlands and enjoy football you will have heard of Tony. A massive figure of local radio here. It saddens me when I think of the local radio and local papers like the Express and Star how poor they are now. Beacon radio and it’s sister station WABC was it? Eaten up by a corporation to churn out pre-recorded shows from so called ‘celeb’ broadcasters. The Express and Star days of Instone and Swain having genuine inside access to the clubs they reported on and we’re now left with kids straight out of college passing off regurgitated national stories as their own a few days later. Sleep tight Tony you will go down as a fondly remembered local legend.

Reaction score
I remember he used to come in to The Greyhound at Lower Penn when I worked there around 45 years ago. He was a distinctive broadcaster.
I worked in The Greyhound, too, in the early 80's. His regular order was half a bitter and a schooner of sherry for his wife. He would often hold court in there.

A broadcasting legend

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Tone

He represented a generation that we will miss. At times damning, controversial.. but always honest and real. They don't make them like that anymore.

Sincere condolences. I hope he gets the unique tributes he would have wanted. I haven't listened to much radio if I'm honest since the likes of Tony Butler retired. He was great.

On yer bike !!!!!!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the BRMB phone in, and didn’t he have a Friday evening sports TV slot on Midlands Today for a while. ISTR him interviewing Billy Wright?
Gone but not forgotten; original and the best.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really sad news
Loved listening to his phone ins on a Friday night
I spoke to him a few times at Monmore Green watching the dogs, great bloke
Thoughts and prayers to all his family and friends at this sad time
On yer bike Tone

Clipboard

Reaction score
Several times over the last few years I've thought that I'd love to have heard Tone's thoughts on how Wolves we're shaping up. Imagine him giving Jeff, Sellars, Bruno some clog . RIP pal.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Legend. Last saw him in the Springhill Pub a few years back. A really nice guy. RIP

R

reanswolf

I can still hear the jingle when a goal was scored!

RIP Tony Butler!

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the BRMB phone in, and didn’t he have a Friday evening sports TV slot on Midlands Today for a while. ISTR him interviewing Billy Wright?
Gone but not forgotten; original and the best.
He was on ATV / Central for a while. Late 70’s early 80’s when Gary Newbon was presenting.
Local tv news / sport has gone a similar way to local radio, a pale shadow of what it was.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said a great guy, met him several times as my eldest played in the same junior rugby team as his nephew.

RIP Tone

Back
Top Bottom