Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hats, scarfs and badges

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sign of the times. The independent badge sellers have been part and parcel of being a supporter for all my nearly 50 years visiting Molineux. The club just won’t produce the huge range of badges currently available and those that they do will cost at least twice as much. Why not give these sellers the option of a reasonably priced licence to produce merchandise bearing the Wolves head

D

Deleted at own request member 8370

Agree with getting rid of the ****s who sell half and half scarves, but not the badges, I've picked up some great ones outside the south bank...

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Very poor from Wolves. If they sold their own version of the badges then I’d get it but it’s not like the traders are taking money that would go to the club.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s rows of stalls outside old Trafford selling stuff.
Another little bit of the traditional match day experience gone. Still, at least Wolves will make an extra few quid selling official tat now, I’m sure the extra few badges they sell will help us pay a player 100k a week.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So people like Kelvin who has followed this club through the ages and makes a few bob by selling badges and programmes and hasn't been a problem to the club is suddenly seen as a competitor,poor by Wolves.By all means target the Mancs,Scousers and ****neys selling the half/half tat though.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dick move by the club if it means the bloke who goes round selling badges in pubs pre match or the sellers at bottom of subway are stopped from selling.
I get the dodgy half n half stuff as that's just been couple seasons but the traditions need to stay.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Tottenham Hotspur managed to get the name 'Tottenham' trademarked even though there it is actually a place. Apparently Tottenham isn't well known for anything else but the football club. I believe Liverpool FC tried to do the same for the name 'Liverpool' but failed.

Is there a risk to the club if they allowed a few small fish to get away with copyright infringement it might put them at risk when bigger fish do it? I guess they could give them some kind of licence though.

To be honest it's not something I'm that fussed about.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crap from the club, be banned from chanting anything with 'wolves' in, next.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too many talking by sentiment. The club owns the intellectual property and wants to protect it like every other business. Would you all be feeling the same if there were 50,000 people walking about in fake replica shirts?
No,but as mentioned give the bloke who sells things the club don't sell like matches badges a licence and hammer the major scam sellers,call it sentiment If you want but don't come all over the big conglomerate ****ing on the small guy.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Seeing the headline it reminded me of Dave Jones where everyone had a nick name -
Buts Newts and Nails

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was going to start a separate thread after Sunday but it probably fits in here.

Was buying a programme from a guy outside the North Bank before the game. I assumed all the sellers were locals employed by the club. When talking to the guy I noticed that he wasn't a local. Said he worked for the company that is contracted to sell the programmes.

Is this another example of locals losing out or has this always been the case?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No,but as mentioned give the bloke who sells things the club don't sell like matches badges a licence and hammer the major scam sellers,call it sentiment If you want but don't come all over the big conglomerate ****ing on the small guy.
The club do sell badges.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

Was buying a programme from a guy outside the North Bank before the game. I assumed all the sellers were locals employed by the club. When talking to the guy I noticed that he wasn't a local. Said he worked for the company that is contracted to sell the programmes.
I always thought Wolves had their own team of programme sellers, believe they had a season ticket each until last season.
So, this is a new one on me, perhaps there are Wolves Official Sellers and contracted sellers like you have mentioned.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am confident this is everything to do with people complaining to the Wolves about london based half and half scarf sellers clogging up the streets. Sadly you cant ban one group and not the other so they target everyone to appease fans.
Hopefully to the local lads who sell the badges who you see around the ground common sense will prevail and the stewards and police will just turn a blind eye.
Otherwise he could just sell them on Ebay its hardly like he is going to go hungry. Honestly the reaction to this makes it seem like Wolves have just cancelled Christmas

D

Deleted member 4436

I don’t see the problem here.

Whether it’s outside the stadium or through the masses of online platforms like redbubble, loads of creators are making a fortune selling on-brand merchandise.

Check out FB.. someone creates a product with the Wolves logo and there are tens of hundreds people interested in purchasing. They need to use the right channels. Contact the club and see if they’re interested in buying some units. They’ll improve their reach with that approach too, and hopefully generate some more orders.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too many talking by sentiment. The club owns the intellectual property and wants to protect it like every other business. Would you all be feeling the same if there were 50,000 people walking about in fake replica shirts?
Ever been to Barcelona? Fake strips are everywhere!

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor move by the club , always get a few badges every year and always stop to have a look at them.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unable to decide exactly what I think about this so I will abstain from giving an opinion!

I

imaJUNGLIST

No coincidence the club shop have started selling half n half scarves at twice the price.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I bought four Wolves v Watford S/F badges outside Wembley last April.
When I got home and looked at them properly, Watfords name was not on the badges, but a post code below their emblem instead.

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love a badge from the badge man as my daughter used to call him. However, people talking about IP / Trademarks are right. I bet a good few of those badges are made in China. Now imagine if they flood Ebay etc with them direct from China. Then scarves, then shirts etc etc.
The club could decide to licence our 'local' badge man, but you can't blame them for protecting their rights. Would Burberry let you set up a stall outside their shop selling knock-off Burberry - I don't think so.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought Wolves had their own team of programme sellers, believe they had a season ticket each until last season.
So, this is a new one on me, perhaps there are Wolves Official Sellers and contracted sellers like you have mentioned.
I've noticed a few new faces this season selling programmes. One guy had his head down looking at his phone. Asked him for 2 programmes, never lifted his head til I stuck a fiver under his nose. He looked up and said £7.

The guy I was talking to on Sunday was from Liverpool. Asked him if he was heading home for the game on Monday night. He said "Nah, I'm Everton me"

On the subject of badges and copyright, I was looking for a matchday badge at the stall on the right as you come out of the subway last year. The lad says to me "are you Irish?". I said yes and he proceeds to try to sell me one of the Irish Wolves badges for a fiver. Asked him where he gets them and he said his supplier made them for him. I said no thanks as I sell them for £3. :)

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
this doesn't sound like a blanket ban on all this type of merchandise , but a crackdown on specifics where they are using the clubs trademarked logo etc without any permission/license

any generic wolves type scarf/badges that don't break trademarks should be OK

maybe the club are looking to get a cut/control of some of the trademarked stuff and will maybe offer licences to use the logo etc to sellers ( "at a price")
and anyone who's trading without a traders license

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's part of the ritual of going to Molineux. Through the subway, a quick look at the badge/programme stall on the right then down to touch the Billy Wright statue before going in! I hope all the half/half sellers get the boot but the stalls that sell scarves, badges etc are a part of the Molineux scene and it would be a shame to see them go. If these Wolves things are banned then the Club shop will need to stock similar but then you'll need to get there about 2 hours before ko to get served in time.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't understand the hatred, it's just someone trying to make a living. If you don't like them don't buy one.

they ay very popular with ( how can I say it,,,,urm,,,,true fans :eek: Think they're mainly for the tourist type of fan.I dow think I've ever looked at one never mind bought on.Not for me I'm afraid.:(

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is largely about sentiment though. And I do feel sentimental about traditions like this I associate with Molineux. Incidentally I wouldn't give a toss if people were walking about in fake shirts either, however that's by the by, as we're talking here about something quantitatively different. Furthermore, I doubt the club would have the local knowledge or financial incentive to produce Sedgely (or wherever) Wolves badges!

The irony and hypocrisy of a massive firm with close ties to the Chinese state complaining about copywrite infringement is laughable too but that's the sort of argument which raises people's heckles on here.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In theory a simple piece of legislation to enforce but in practice it's overly difficult to actually police.
Needs police and trading standards officers at each stall /seller then there is the logistics of seizing stock with full chain of evidence. All this with potential punters around often makes it entertaining.
One stall visited and none of the bag of scarfers would be seen for 20 mins.

The council give the licences and in doing expect traders to abode by the law.
Trading Standards will have had a good look at items before even considering sending the letter
As piece says it only went to a couple of traders
The unlicensed bag men are the ones people really moan about but hardest to stop.
Sure from reading the piece an amicable solution will transpire

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The guy nearest the subway is a Scouser. No idea where he lives though.

Back
Top Bottom