Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Happy Birthday King John.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy birthday to John Richards, who is 72 years old today. King John played close to 500 games for Wolves, scoring 194 goals, most of them in the first division. He formed a great partnership with the Doog, and was one of the the finest centre forwards of his generation. It is scandalous that John only played once for England. I wonder how many caps he would have won had he played for one of the London clubs.

Happy birthday King John, have a great day.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
McCalliog, Hibbitt, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe. My favourite forward line of all time and will never be bettered.
Happy Birthday King John!

Younger people, my sons included, have said that us older fans look at things through rose coloured spectacles. That might be true, but anyone who saw that Wolves side in full flow will know just how good they could be. The players you mentioned were all forwards of the highest quality, and remember we also had Mike Bailey, the skipper, behind them urging them on.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
McCalliog, Hibbitt, Richards, Dougan, Wagstaffe. My favourite forward line of all time and will never be bettered.
Happy Birthday King John!
Firstly happy birthday John.

They were a great combo and may well be your favourite forward line of all time. To say that they will never be bettered, other than in your opinion, is laughable though. Objective evidence suggests that our 50s forward line was better.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly happy birthday John.

They were a great combo and may well be your favourite forward line of all time. To say that they will never be bettered, other than in your opinion, is laughable though. Objective evidence suggests that our 50s forward line was better.
Funny how on a harmonious thread like this people want to start an argument? The best forward line in my years of supporting Wolves. I stand by my comment 'will never be bettered' by evidence of the last 50 years. Have we produced a better mf than Hibbitt in that time? (Neves is the only one who comes close imo). Doog and Richards are about the perfect strike partnership ( Bully and Jimenez come close but of course they did not play together). And Waggy, arguably (and I'm biased!) the best genuine winger along with George Best ever to grace English football in my time. I accept that who knows what the future may bring but they will have to be a pretty special group to match the Wolves 70s forward line.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy Birthday John and thanks for so many fabulous memories. Probably the greatest was the winner in the 1974 League Cup Final when you were struggling for fitness and, fortunately for us, you were in the right place at the right time to drive home the winner! :D

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The best Wolves goal scorer I've seen in my long support. A nice bloke as well when he used to pop in the Western some years back, mostly with Willie Carr. Always had time for anyone who wanted to say hello. Happy birthday King John.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Echo everything said on here, a hero of mine to this day.
Most memorable goal was obviously the League Cup final winner in 1974, but a close second was his winner in December 1973 against a very strong Liverpool in the quarter final. Won the ball on the half way line, ran through and smashed into the top corner from the edge of the box, an absolute stunner. I was 15 at the time and had just broken up from school for Christmas so was able to go as match was played mid-week in the afternoon.
Happy days

Lawndog

Reaction score
yeah, fantastic player!.....very rarely missed 'one on one's' with 'keepers!

My overriding memory was as a 10 year old in the old SB when we played Cov in the FA Cup 6th round in '73......Doog flicked the ball over CH Bobby Parker and JR ran in on goal....cos of the tall men in front of me that was all I saw but I knew JR would score so ended-up celebrating the goal about 2 or 3 seconds before everybody else!

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Just received this from John.

I've just read the Molineux Mix threads - such lovely comments (and an age-old discussion as well!); I'm very humbled and fortunate to have played alongside some of Wolves greatest ever players. Waggy and Mike Bailey were the stand-outs for me.
Please pass on my thanks to all the Molineux Mix members.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I declare an amnesty in the name of King John Richards.

Beach Umbrella

Groupie
Reaction score
Really happy memories of that 70’s era and especially the forward line with John, Doog & Waggy.

Great to look back at those games. Skilful players on muddy pitches. No time wasting or gamesmanship

Hoping to go along to the book signing at Waterstones in Wolverhampton this afternoon to meet John, Kenny Hibbitt, Willie Carr & Steve Daley.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My all-time favourite wolves player. I must have seen 60 to 70 per cent of his games.

Natural athlete, fast, intelligent player who understood importance of not dwelling on the ball. Anyone who saw his hat trick against Everton would have an idea of just how good he was at his peak. Lost some pace with some bad injuries but remained a top striker.

Like Steve Bull, should probably have moved to a too club, but their loss was our immense gain.

Back
Top Bottom