Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gut feeling - Will we bounce straight back?

Will we bounce back?

• Yay

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • Nay

Votes: 83 58.9%

• Total voters

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously it's far too early to get a panoptic view of how we and the other Championship clubs will look in 2 and a half months time but, based purely on your gut feeling, do you think we'll bounce straight back up?

Personally, I was prepared for a long old slog next season with a hackneyed appointment of Bruce/Ferguson/Connor and the team playing a slightly better version of the dull football we've served up this season, probably finishing 4th-6th.

This appointment has really changed my mind though; Wolves as a club had gone (pardon the dreadful, dreadful pun) stale and we needed a massive kick up the $$$$. Solbakken has really impressed me with his words today (which of course means bugger all in real terms) and I feel a renewed sense of optimism that we might just be in for a very good season.

Perspective is of course required and this could easily turn out to be a match made in the outer rim of hell as we sit 15th in December. Yet, if it goes well, I sense it will go really well.

The league will look MUCH better if West Ham manage to beat Blackpool - one doesn't imagine that their owners will simply let their expensively assembled squad fall apart this summer if they fail to achieve promotion - so that will obviously have a bearing upon us.

I foresee a very pragmatic approach. We probably won't see the barnstorming run of hammerings we put together in 08/09, but equally, I doubt we'll see us going 2 months without winning a game. I have a feeling that we'll finish 2nd, quite a distance behind the eventual winners (whoever they are) but maintaining a few points between us and the chasing pack for the latter part of the season. Yes it's a gamble, but it's one that has reinvigorated every fan I've spoken to; if it can do the same to the players, this horrible season can be expunged from our memories immediately.

Reaction score
Nope. I think Solbakken will be good for us and eventually will get us promoted, maybe in 2 years time, but think we may end up in the play-offs and miss out this coming season as we try to bed in a new manager, new players, and a new playing style. Once they're all settled and/or well implemented could go back up.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
Nope. I think Solbakken will be good for us and eventually will get us promoted, maybe in 2 years time, but think we may end up in the play-offs and miss out this coming season as we try to bed in a new manager, new players, and a new playing style. Once they're all settled and/or well implemented could go back up.

Why would it take a whole season to "bed in"?

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, but won't mind as long as the club is moving forward both on and off the pitch

B

Bostin

I'd rather spend a year down there first, rebuilding and adopting a style of play that will stand us in good stead for when we come back up the year after.

I've had enough of this league, I need a break from it, and to start enjoying going to Wolves games again!

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Realistically, I hope our first season under Stale shows optimism and hope for the future. If promotion isn't obtained, I hope the fans will be patient (and I think they will provided they see a new side taking shape and us moving in the right direction). A play-off place finish next season will be very good (unless we've been top 2 all season!) - but just seeing us adapt a fresh approach to games, and a more attractive playing style - and actually WINNING games again - should see fans be very supportive our our Viking leader.

W

Woffles

Voted no.

1. Don't have a clue how quickly Stale will be able to sort out the shambles he'll inherit - even if he does a great job it could take him a season or two to get a team playing the way he wants.
2. Don't want to tempt fate.
3. Don't want to give any smug Albion fans the opportunity to come on here and say how arrogant we are.

wolf of sedgley

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody el these player ought to be good enough to get promoted by themselves. The chump is full of dross- as long as we can beat the dross teams we should be challenging top 2. All we need is decent strikers to finish a few of the umpteen chances you get a game.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no reason we shouldn't as I don't fear either Blackburn or Bolton, nor any of the other sides in the Champ. The best teams went up.

However this is Wolves, so we won't.

M

MonkeySpanner

Don't think well see the Premiership again for some time :bawling:

B

bridgnorthwolf

Yes.

Depends on a few factors, but I think we'll be straight back up.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're going down, who gives a $$$$, we'll win the league and we'll come back up!

W

Woffles

West Ham went down in better shape than we are now, with a proven Championship manager in charge and still only made the play offs. Many years in the Championship should have taught us that it's never going to be easy.

Stale's inherited a team which is low on confidence, with a shambolic defense, no discernable style of play and which is likely to lose the two players who created/scored most of our goals.

I know he's got some previous for coming back from the dead but getting us promoted next season may be pushing it a bit far.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th.

The beginning of another 10 years in the league from hell has begun.

W

WasStefan

Gut feeling is no. We will lose in the play-offs. Think we will be back within 3 years though.

D

Deleted member 4023

Quick to slag Mick off
Quick to slag TC off
Didn't want Potato Head, Smegson or any of the usual suspects (the out of work managers)
Everyone agreed that it would be better to get someone in like Hughton or Poyet (even talk of OGS) & let them build a decent side over a couple of seasons
We appoint a manager completely out of left field who's never managed in England (never mind the minefield that is the chumpionship) - suddenly people on here are talking about peeing the league next season - all these rubbish teams......
We don't even know what our squad will be, or whether Solly's tactics will be suitable for this league. Lets just chill & take things as they come

O

Oxford_Wolf

My early prediction is 4th, behind West Ham, Forrest, Bolton and Boro

H

Hatch End

Stale has so much to sort out, it's hard to see how he can carry out the necessary work when he doesn't take over until 1st July.

He's got to assess which players he wants to keep; which ones he wants to get shut of; which new ones he can sign; got to decide exactly what to do with his "Assistant manager"; got to show Moxey who's the boss.................then on 2nd July he'll have to start on the rest of the problems!

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My early prediction is 4th, behind West Ham, Forrest, Bolton and Boro

Therefore we'd be 5th? :confused: Anyway, I think we'll finish 4th with 77 points, and lose the play off final :)mad:) to Leeds after beating Boro. Think the other play off place will go to Brighton.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It all depends on who we lose and who we sign. Assuming Fletcher goes, we would most definitely need another striker, though if we keep hold of Kightly, Ebanks and Doyle I'll feel a lot more confident. If I had to make a prediction now, I'd say 5th.

B

Bradders

Right now, I can't see it happening. But will have a better inkling once we're done with transfers in and out. It's going to be a tough division (as ever) next year and we'll need to hit the ground running - partly so as our fans don't start moaning too early :) I'm happy to take 2-3 years in the Championship for Stale to re-build the side in his mould if that helps ensure we make a real go of it on our return. We don't want to be another Derby in getting promoted a year or two too early!

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pinging it about a bit...

Would much rather see a fresh bright new world where the foundations are laid in the first season and a joyous brand of football is employed to devastating effect, and soft gasps of wonder, in the second season.

I'm 52.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we will bounce straight back as long as Stale brings in some quality and gets rid of the likes of Edwards, Vokes, Stearman and Hunt.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd happily take a 45% chance of coming back up, which i think is about fair.

As long as we actually win more than 3 games in 8 months though, it'll be an improvement!

B

BigBadWolf

My gut feeling says no.

However I think we need to go up in the first go, because if we do manage to keep some of our better players by telling them that we will be promoted straight away and then don't , they will leave meaning we are back at square one. So in that case it depends on the quality of the players Stale brings in.

But my gut feeling is no.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, there are so many chumps and knuckledraggers that support our club that he will be booed out by December. In fact someone should put up a poll so we can stick our nails to the mast and say when we think he will be gone by............

H

Hatch End

Apart from getting rid of the deadwood on the playing staff, there is the huge problem of what to do with Clippo the Clown.

It's always possible that Stale will take to Clippo and that Connor will be willing to fade quietly into the background.

However, I have my doubts.

Personally, I think that keeping Clippo will lead unnecessary problems for the new man. Everything about Clippos attitude, during the past few weeks, has shown that he thinks he has been successful with "his boys" and should have got the managers job.
He appears to have been good friends with the players, some of whom wanted him to be promoted dispite his obvious failure and all indications are that he thinks they are better than they are.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With a manager with no experience of the Championship and good old TC there to guide him, a bunch of players who have achieved the lowest points total since the famous Derby side who got 11 and a bad losing habit I think we could just as easily be going out of the Championship one way as the other next season.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I think we will bounce straight back as long as Stale brings in some quality and gets rid of the likes of Edwards, Vokes, Stearman and Hunt.

Yup....even possible to do it with them if we keep our key players.

This is the Chump, all we need to be is good enough for it....these players are able to be that IMO.

I'm going for a full-on Viking conquest of the Chump!...

T

Tettenhall Wolf

Big ask after the season we've had.

A lot of re-building of players confidences to be done.

Some to get rid off, some will jump, others pushed.

Stale has a big job on his hands. I hope he is given some time. He might need a year to re-build the base.

Be interested if it is easy for us to see tangible changes in selection and style, formation and tempo.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather spend a year down there first, rebuilding and adopting a style of play that will stand us in good stead for when we come back up the year after.

I've had enough of this league, I need a break from it, and to start enjoying going to Wolves games again!

spot on-am i alone in thinking that Id really rather we didn't get straight back up? I think we really need a major overhaul not just a quick fix and I would be quite happy to wait until we have fully evolved into a hopefully much more convincing team capable of making an impact in the Prem.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
spot on-am i alone in thinking that Id really rather we didn't get straight back up? I think we really need a major overhaul not just a quick fix and I would be quite happy to wait until we have fully evolved into a hopefully much more convincing team capable of making an impact in the Prem.

I don't understand this point of view, don't get me wrong if it takes time then I think we should be patient but if Stale makes a success of next season I want us to bounce straight back.

I imagine Norwich fans might have had similar feelings when Lambert took over when they were in the bottom quarter of League One, 2 straight promotions and then a mid-table Premier League finish. If Stale is ruthless and gets rid of the deadwood then he should be aiming to bounce straight back.

Back
Top Bottom