Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Guess what ? Another appeal for help. Tottenham Game Nov. 3rd.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I know. So sorry, but what do you expect from me by now?

This game is on the Saturday during Remembrance weekend and we are planning something very special to commemorate it.

This will be a very moving and poignant moment before the game, and as usual I am hoping that the fine folk of the Mix will yet again rally forth to assist. It will be over a couple of days before the game and will involve the usual work. Lunch and refreshments are provided by Wolves of course, as always.

So, if anyone can spare a few hours to give just a little bit back to this amazing football club, please let me know.

This pre-match moment promises to be something that we will all remember for a long time, and with the new lighting playing a big part. On that point can I recommend that you tell everyone to get into the ground early on that day.

Knowing the sort of folk who have helped me in the past as I do, I really think that you will want to be a part of this.

Thanks as always.
PK.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and lad free on the friday, if can help out in anyway?

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and lad free on the friday, if can help out in anyway?

Brilliant Pagey. Thank you.
I won’t reply individually to everyone if that’s ok, as it’ll take up to much space. So if any willing helpers could P.M. me with their contact phone numbers, I will be in touch with you direct.

Many thanks in advance.

W

WasStefan

Could you pass on this to Wolves mgmt. We are now a very rich club but are one of the few clubs that rely on FREE labour of volunteers for things like this.

This isn't a dig at you mate. But it feels like you are now doing the clubs dirty work, they are essentially outsourcing it. Anyone who gives up their time should be compensated. It just feels wrong and exploitative.

Fair play to anyone who does volunteer though i suppose.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could you pass on this to Wolves mgmt. We are now a very rich club but are one of the few clubs that rely on FREE labour of volunteers for things like this.

This isn't a dig at you mate. But it feels like you are now doing the clubs dirty work, they are essentially outsourcing it. Anyone who gives up their time should be compensated. It just feels wrong and exploitative.

Fair play to anyone who does volunteer though i suppose.

Have you actually considered that some people might actually enjoying doing it and don't mind in the slightest doing it for free?

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be available with my 2 lads Friday - what do you need doing?

It is quite an easy job, although it could result in a tiny bit of back ache, but it’s so worth it.
It just involves laying or sticking cards or flags on to seats in a team of around 30 to 40 helpers.

A few days beforehand, I lay out the designs or whatever the message in the stands has to be, and it’s then simply a case of putting or sticking said card or flag onto the seat I’ve marked out. I love doing it, and so have all the previous volunteers. You get a great sense of satisfaction seeing the results in the ground afterwards, and knowing you’ve helped the club as well. Everyone gets on so well with each other all having a common purpose.

Moseley Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It is quite an easy job, although it could result in a tiny bit of back ache, but it’s so worth it.
It just involves laying or sticking cards or flags on to seats in a team of around 30 to 40 helpers.

A few days beforehand, I lay out the designs or whatever the message in the stands has to be, and it’s then simply a case of putting or sticking said card or flag onto the seat I’ve marked out. I love doing it, and so have all the previous volunteers. You get a great sense of satisfaction seeing the results in the ground afterwards, and knowing you’ve helped the club as well. Everyone gets on so well with each other all having a common purpose.
Ok will check with lads and PM if free

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you actually considered that some people might actually enjoying doing it and don't mind in the slightest doing it for free?

Thanks Burton, exactly this in a nut shell.

Everyone loves doing this and in no way feels put upon. After each session the overwhelming view from the crew is when can we do it again. Folk have made lifelong friendships doing this, and they really enjoy the opportunity of giving something back to the club.

Another point is that anyone who does something because they want to do it, will do a much better job and have much more satisfaction over anyone who does anything for payment. I pride myself in knowing that the work we do is second to none and could not be none to a better standard whatever you paid.

W

WasStefan

Sorry don't agree. People have a sentimental attachment to football clubs, and some (few, including Wolves) use this to their advantage. Not right IMO.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What kind of times in the days do you to it mate.

W

WasStefan

Here is a suggestion. Go to the closest 3 secondary schools to Molineux. Offer anyone 15 or over £20 for 2 and a half hours work straight after school to do the work you require.

Guarantee you will get at least 50 kids turn up. £1000 is nothing to Wolves and will get the job done in one evening......

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry Stef mate you are so wrong in this case. If I offered to pay the volunteers they would not want it. Your way is taking away the chance for folk to give something back freely.

There was something in the Northern press recently about some Burnley fans objecting to the way their club were using unpaid volunteers when their Club was making a good profit. Wolves being the responsible and caring club that they truly are now, contacted me pointing this out. They asked if I considered whether offering to pay the volunteer team to do the work they did would be a good idea. The volunteers emphatically said no. They rightly said that it would take away the very essence of what being a volunteer meant to them.

Sorry mate not everyone wants a monetary reward for what they do. Satisfaction comes from giving a little.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here is a suggestion. Go to the closest 3 secondary schools to Molineux. Offer anyone 15 or over £20 for 2 and a half hours work straight after school to do the work you require.

Guarantee you will get at least 50 kids turn up. £1000 is nothing to Wolves and will get the job done in one evening......

I don’t think we’d be happy with the quality of the job though. Takes us two days to get it right. ;)

W

WasStefan

Sorry Stef mate you are so wrong in this case. If I offered to pay the volunteers they would not want it. Your way is taking away the chance for folk to give something back freely.

There was something in the Northern press recently about some Burnley fans objecting to the way their club were using unpaid volunteers when their Club was making a good profit. Wolves being the responsible and caring club that they truly are now, contacted me pointing this out. They asked if I considered whether offering to pay the volunteer team to do the work they did would be a good idea. The volunteers emphatically said no. They rightly said that it would take away the very essence of what being a volunteer meant to them.

Sorry mate not everyone wants a monetary reward for what they do. Satisfaction comes from giving a little.
And that is fair enough. I was actually trying to find that article.

Still doesn't sit right with me that a hugely profitable compant are relying on free labour to do stuff like this.

W

WasStefan

I don’t think we’d be happy with the quality of the job though. Takes us two days to get it right. ;)
Time saved to quality check / touch up any issues? It's just a thought. Now that would bring the community and the club closer, no?

E

Edgmond Wolf

I know at least half of the volunteers personally as mates, I travel with them both to home and away matches.
I can confirm that Kingy is correct. The crack and banter is what most go for as well as helping their football team

lycophilos

Reaction score
And that is fair enough. I was actually trying to find that article.

Still doesn't sit right with me that a hugely profitable compant are relying on free labour to do stuff like this.
But as Pumpking has pointed out, Wolves asked him if the volunteers should be paid - and he replied that they didn't want to be.

So it's not the case of a "highly profitable company" exploiting people.

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But as Pumpking has pointed out, Wolves asked him if the volunteers should be paid - and he replied that they didn't want to be.

Absolutely spot on. The fact that Wolves immediately contacted me as soon as they had heard about the rumpus at Burnley, showed how responsible they are. We said clearly “thanks but no thanks”, we do not want anything for what we do, we love this club and we are extremely grateful for the opportunity to give something back.

Wolves acted in an exemplary manner here, they do not exploit anyone and under the present management, never ever will.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I love you man.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I offered to volunteer on unpaid basis, as i believe if you can afford to give your time for free, the reward is in the end product, not everone is able to do, who knows i might make a friend for life whilst doing it?
Also if your paying a minor then you have all sorts of problems with council work permits/insurances etc.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Hello Paul

You have always got my support. Will send you a PM. Enjoy doing it and meeting up again..
Thanks

W

WasStefan

Shock. Those volunteering are ok with it.

Elephant in the room is there wouldn't be a need for PumpKing to ask for volunteers if Wolves paid as hundreds would take them up on the offer

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wish I could be a part of it.
Looking at a display and proudly thinking 'wow, I helped make that happen', or looking at a display and thinking 'some mugs put in all that work for nothing'.
I know which side of that line I'd rather be on.

Kindred spirits dear lady. xx

D

Deleted at request of member 4337

Working or I would help - unless you need anything Saturday morning?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Elephant in the room is there wouldn't be a need for PumpKing to ask for volunteers if Wolves paid as hundreds would take them up on the offer

Because of the importance of the occasion, I would prefer the club to offer a donation(s) to a relevant Charity (or charities) rather than give to those who have kindly pledged their support without detriment (you would hope) to themselves.
People are in choice, and if they wish to give their time so be it.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be free for a couple of hours if you need on the Friday, depending upon the times.

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score

Think of it like the BBC's DIY SOS. I'm sure the BBC could afford to pay all those workers but the main impact comes from all those people giving up their spare time to help others in need. Wolves, the club is part of a community and people like to take pride in their communities.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score

So you could have people who are doing it simply for the money, or you could have people who want to be involved in doing something for the club. Why would you take it away from the latter?

W

WasStefan

Think of it like the BBC's DIY SOS. I'm sure the BBC could afford to pay all those workers but the main impact comes from all those people giving up their spare time to help others in need. Wolves, the club is part of a community and people like to take pride in their communities.
You just compared Wolves to someone in need of help in their daily lives, eg army veteran, someone struggling with illness. That is ridiculous

W

WasStefan

So you could have people who are doing it simply for the money, or you could have people who want to be involved in doing something for the club. Why would you take it away from the latter?
Wolves is a very poor area. Yet Wolves time & time again ask for free labour.

I think we are out of touch with reality unfortunately.

I'm not knocking anyone that does volunteer, it just doesn't sit right, the whole situation just feels wrong

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I could see where you were coming from if this were about Wolves using volunteers to do match day work or jobs that are necessities, however the fact that's its to volunteer for something the club are doing over and above the actual football, something that they don't have to do but want to to enhance the experience, or in this case for a good cause, then I personally see no problem with this.

If anything, when it comes to things like this I'd wager that you would probably prefer people to be there who want to do it and are happy to do it for nothing than people who are just there to earn a quick buck. If they offered payment you run the risk of having people there who have no interest in the job being right, but just want to put some money in their pocket.

If you use volunteers, the fact that they're willing to do it off their own back means they're more likely to want the job to be done well and take pride in it. I'm not suggesting that everyone doing it for the money would have no interest in it being right, but if you're willing to volunteer you're likely to want to make sure you do the best you can and take pride in what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom