Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Guardian: Villa want Karl Henry

Bull Army

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
C

crasm98

Karl henry is better than a bottom six team player by far

W

WasStefan

Henry is a below mid table player. Anyone who thinks otherwise must have $$$$ in their eyes.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He excels in 'the Makelele*' position.

*The 'Makelele position' is the defensive midfielder in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. It doesn't exist in a 4-4-2. (for those who still don't understand)

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Davis is Karl's replacement , I wouldn't be surprised if we cashed in he's 29 ..,

W

WasStefan

*The 'Makelele position' is the defensive midfielder in a 4-3-3/4-5-1. It doesn't exist in a 4-4-2. (for those who still don't understand)

Henry can only play in 4231 in my opinion, next to a more defensive minded but also creative midfielder.

B

Bankswolf II

Sell him we have Davis

I imagine Villa fans are jumping for joy at this news

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Karl Henry loves Wolves, and with Roger out of the picture, he can reclaim his rightful position as cap'n

C

crasm98

Henry is our best midfielder by far. When he aint played we leak goals even more. I think since his return as captain he has been brilliant and was one of the better players on sunday yet again

W

WasStefan

Henry is our best midfielder by far. When he aint played we leak goals even more. I think since his return as captain he has been brilliant and was one of the better players on sunday yet again

Compared to some of the dross in our team he's going to look good

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You will be comparing him to Deschamps next as the water carrier.:D

S

SimplyTheWolves

He's worth keeping, but if the new manager is wise enough to replace him with better then I won't grumble.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
As proven a few years ago, he can easily play and excel in a 4-4-2 in the Championship. Agree, however, that in the Premier League, he is far more effective in the holding role of a midfield five.

Would be one of the first names on my team sheet next year.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sell Karl henry we can forget promotion. He's rubbish isn't he guys!! Why aren't Villa going for Duracell Dave? There will be others in for him. I would say either KH or Fletcher would be number 1 pick from Wolves.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You will be comparing him to Deschamps next as the water carrier.:D

I think it would be interesting to see him in a better team who play in a formation that suits his ability. I reckon he's up there with the best at tackling, breaking up play and man marking and in a better team, he'd be far more appreciated.

S

Skonsengwolf

Well, he is 29 so if Villa comes in with an acceptable bid, we should probably sell him. He is one of our best players, but as a part of a total overhaul of the club it would make sense to sell him.

S

SimplyTheWolves

As proven a few years ago, he can easily play and excel in a 4-4-2 in the Championship. Agree, however, that in the Premier League, he is far more effective in the holding role of a midfield five.

Would be one of the first names on my team sheet next year.

And who do you think you are, MolMix poster of the Season or something?

I don't know these cheeky upstarts, would you credit it!

OOPS! :embarassed:

E

Edgmond Wolf

I want to keep Karl Henry he holds our midfield together, he has also since been reinstated as captain has brought that fighting spirit back to Wolves

I hope we hold onto Henry

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He played against Swansea didn't he?

Not sure he's our best midfielder by far.

He's a good, very good, Championship midfielder.

PL I'm not so sure. To me he's only look good when in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Bottom 6 PL club is about his range though I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am in two minds about this, I have a lot of respect for Karl Henry and in the right formation he is excellent. But I think that formation is 451 which can be negative if you have not quality attacking midfielders along side Karl. I think in the Championship you need more mobile and attack minded midfielders, with Davis and Ohara I think I would take £4m for Karl and but some pace on their wing and up front.

J

Jarvo for England

Point of order sir.....the last three seasons dismiss your statement.

So same for Jarvo and Fletcher then? What about the newcastle players who played in the champ?

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame we didnt move him on last season , always halts any attack when the ball lands at his feet and a supporter of TC so cya Karl.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not that fussed if he stays or goes to be honest. We have Davis.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Bloody brilliant! Allows us to rebuild and play good football whilst making Villa certainties for relegation!

:ridinghorse:

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So same for Jarvo and Fletcher then? What about the newcastle players who played in the champ?

Well both have been in the bottom 6 in the last three seasons, in fact did not Fletcher suffer a relegation too?

As for Newcastle, I think you may have missed that they signed just a few players on their return to the Prem, so not really a team of players from the champ.....more a team who moved on and progressed.
Not one which still fielded 8 or 9 players that came up from the champ three seasons later!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember before all this bull$$$$ about his tackling, everyone thought he was great.

Henry is very capable when passing the ball and I would argue he is actually our best passer, its not his fault the lack of movement around him is shocking. He values possession more than any other player in our team, hence why he passes sideways or backwards, he understands the risk of losing possession when whacking the ball 30-40 yards towards fletchers head or behind the fullback for Jarvis to chase - our only two outlets!

People loved Frimpong when he was here, IMO, his main attribute and coming from Arsenal it's really not surprising, was his movement & pace. He always made himself available and was willing to receive the ball, he was constantly on the move but unlike say Edwards he had the talent aswell. His runs weren't pointless, Frimpong has a very good footballing brain and worked well with Henry as a result.

Many fans want us to move towards a possession based style of play, if you watch Swansea, count how many times they go backwards or sideways. This is because ALL of their XI value possession and therefore don't try to lump the ball towards the CFs head as theres a good chance you'll lose possession. With a possession based style, the idea is you drag the opposition out of position and then due to the movement in your team you take advantage of the space created and if the opposition didn't fall into the trap or you count take advantage of the space (through a lack of movement) you play it backwards and try again. It's really that simple, watch Swansea's goal against us in the home game, they dragged out players out of position and abit of movement & pace up front allowed them to play a few killer passes and they picked us off! I remember some people criticising our players for not tracking runs ect, it was purely down to the movement of Swansea, they set a trap we fell for it and it was too late!

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent, it just annoys me when people say Henry can't pass or Henry only passes sideways or that he needs x,y or z playing next to him.

You could have Xavi in possession of the ball but if when he looks up to pass, nobody in front of moves or makes themselves available all he's going to do is turn around and play the ball to the CH, FB or even the GK. He like all of the worlds best players, hence why none are English, value possession. IMO the best way to describe the problem with English football is that the English way is almost territorial, keep the ball in the oppositions half for longer than its in your own. Football shouldn't be played that way it's dated, a much better philosophy is to keep the ball in your possession longer than its your opponents.

S

Sandwell Wolf

It will take something like Karl Henry going to Villa for all the thick thinktheyknowitall $$$$$$$s to realise just how good and vital he was to our team.

Karl Henry is a proper Premier League player who bleeds Wolves yet has had nothing but vitriol spouted at him for years. Good luck to him if he goes, he deserves better than the way he's been treated by the scumbag section of our supporters.

I'll be gutted if he goes but he will shine in another Premier League team where he doesn't have the fans on his back and is not the scapegoat of the team.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/08/alex-mcleish-karl-henry-aston-villa

Christ. McLeish really is trying to take them down, isn't he? I like KH, but he's a bottom 6 Prem player at the best, Villa should be going for better players than him.

How do you know that....he's only played for a bottom six team, doesn't mean he won't be better with better players around him.

Remember Mark Venus and Ipswich....and we got the supposedly better Steve Sedgley in return ?
Venus played in the Prem and finished 5th, winning player of the season. He couldn't even get in the Wolves team some weeks when we were finishing 10th in the Championship.....

Back
Top Bottom