Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Graham Taylor

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Morgan should look to appoint an interim chairman with extensive footballing experience who can run the board effectively whilst diluting Moxey's influence over areas outside his competence and bringing in a fresh perspective. I'd look no further than Graham Taylor, who knows Wolves inside out, is great at bottom-up club building with an emphasis on academy, has relevant experience as Chairman at Watford and who's also a footballing man who would work well with Jackett where there's mutual respect.

I think it's a bit of a dereliction of duty for Morgan to step down without properly appointing a Chairman to replace him and it's ultimately counter-productive for him too. Appointing someone like Taylor to steady the ship can only help him try and sell the club. You never know he might even find it more enjoyable to be an owner at arm's length without the day today demands of setting strategic direction for the club.

A

AlexWWFC

Very good post, was quite worried when I read the thread title (though you were suggesting he come as manager) but ye I think it's a good idea

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone needs to do something and quick. The club is just drifting and we are 1 or 2 injuries away from a bottom 3 side right now. It's a disgrace what SM has done and its effect is rumbling right through the club from the boardroom, through the offices and right onto the pitch. Whatever we thought of SM walking out was not the answer.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were going nowhere with him at the helm, Morgan is a fraud

R

raging bull

There was mentioned on facebook that gus poyet is lined up to come in with a canadian consortium buy out . Anyone else heared anything ?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan can't, he has no control right now and won't change a thing.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was mentioned on facebook that gus poyet is lined up to come in with a canadian consortium buy out . Anyone else heared anything ?

Got a link? sounds far fetched but would be worth knowing more.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan can't, he has no control right now and won't change a thing.

This.

Wolves are a boat without a rudder, just waiting to waft into the hands of pirates before smashing into the rocks.

Captain Pugwash has effectively committed mutiny.

M

MonkeySpanner

Here in the States the rumors are that the owners of the Chicago Cubs are looking to buy Wolverhampton Wanderers Soccer team as their winning history is pretty much on par with the Cubs themselves........:\

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here in the States the rumors are that the owners of the Chicago Cubs are looking to buy Wolverhampton Wanderers Soccer team as their winning history is pretty much on par with the Cubs themselves........:\

Apparently owns a part of Derby.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a very good OP, we need something but given M&Ms track history of getting every major decision wrong I think we're in a spot of bother.

boyceywolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I have been saying for the last 5 years that a footballing man should be on the board - Graham Taylor ideal, maybe big Ron - someone who has worked with Deadly Doug must know his way around footballing politics. Also, at their age, they are no threat to the manager

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a bad idea but Morgan is not into innovation. He wants out, Moxey will play the part of puppet in the meantime and as long as we don't get relegated nothing will change until a new owner is found.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good opening post. There are no saints so lets ask what is in it for the men who will make that decision. For Morgan the value of the club drops daily . So he should stop this drop. But for Graham Taylor I see no reason why he would want to do this .

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ironically, Graham Taylor was offered this position by SJH when he had the club for sale and there was no chairman as such at the helm. He turned it down and I think he would now also.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't like the turnip back at the club tbh. Can't stand him.

It would be a good idea however to bring in somebody. I've said for a few seasons now we need somebody to come in and set up the footballing side of this club. I always thought it would be a good task for somebody like Houllier who has a proven track record in doing that sort of thing with France. Once it's all done he could then leave after we get a new owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think that's a great idea....it's a constructive move when negativity has taken over in all aspects of the club. I'm hugely fearful that this could go really bad ways as 3 years ago if something doesn't break the cycle of negativity and it would provide stability as well as support for Jackett. Someone..somehow...float his with Morgan. Where are you Mr Spiers ??? get it on the back page in large letters...

L

long ball man

'The Turnip' was a very very good manager who was dispensed with at Wolves far too quickly.

However being a good manager 20 years ago doesn't mean he would make a decent Chairman. I would suggest that Mr Thelwell should be the 'football knowledge' at board level. But of course whoever the Dof/Tech Director might be they aren't on the board and will be subservient to Mr Moxey...that's your problem, irrespective of how many 'football people' might be at the club in addition to the Head Coach.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'The Turnip' was a very very good manager who was dispensed with at Wolves far too quickly.

However being a good manager 20 years ago doesn't mean he would make a decent Chairman. I would suggest that Mr Thelwell should be the 'football knowledge' at board level. But of course whoever the Dof/Tech Director might be they aren't on the board and will be subservient to Mr Moxey...that's your problem, irrespective of how many 'football people' might be at the club in addition to the Head Coach.

I don't think he was a very very good manager at Wolves at all. We were shocking in his second season and we would have got relegated under the turnip if he stayed. He lost too many people. He should have taken us up but he blew it.

L

long ball man

No. He was very very good. His only mistake was going public on thinking of selling Bully and then not selling him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon nothing in Thelwells history or his recent past (looking at our squad) shouts out that he has the right level of experience and knowledge to work outside Division One.

E

Elephant Pyjamas

He was a good manager, but at Wolves he left at the right time. We'd won just 4 from the 16 opening league games, he'd tried to sell Bull, the football was turgid and we looked as though we would go down.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan has form for quitting, didn't he leave Redrow around 2000 when it wasn't doing so well? Good idea that someone should be appointed to the board with extensive football knowledge, as WW1963 says, we are rudderless at present and heading for the rocks.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
No. He was very very good. His only mistake was going public on thinking of selling Bully and then not selling him.
He was very good in his first season- he had lost the plot and the dressing room in the second. Very sad to see- he admitted in some interview or other he was suffering from depression and anxiety by that time, so the club were in a tricky position that no one could envy- step-up Jonathan Hayward.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

I know what you mean but how I hate that expression of being subservient to Moxey.Moxey knows $$$$ all about football and should be nowhere near anything on that side .Yes he has the overall say on club matters but anytime I hear him commentating on football matters I despair.We desperately need a proper football man and not a suit.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any man who cares about his staff, his reputation , the fans , the town and the club,would be in to "succession planning" . So I am sure Morgan will get it right.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very, very good manager with the backing he had would have got us promotion and established us in the premier league. He failed and failed miserably.

In what way was he very very good? I dont call finishing level with Tranmere or Barnsley, cant remember which one and finishing fourth a good season.

And he did agree to sell Bully, Bully just wouldn't leave us thank god.

D

Deleted member 4436

Exactly the type of appointment we need.

Anyone who thinks Jez would relinquish control of footballing matters is $$$$ed.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Exactly the type of appointment we need.

Anyone who thinks Jez would relinquish control of footballing matters is $$$$ed.

Maybe so because Morgan thinks he is the dog's taters but I repeat he knows $$$$ all about football and Morgan is a prat for thinking otherwise.

Berks_WWFC

Groupie
Reaction score
The Graham bit is right, but I'd rather see Graham Turner back in that capacity.

I was hopeful this might happen after he left Shrewsbury as it was about that time a 'head of football' role was discussed but sadly not.

He has plenty of football experience, chairman experience from Hereford and also the love of this club.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would be better served personally with somebody who has no ties to the club that could possibly cloud their judgement.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever it might be we certainly are in trouble and need a lot of help right now. I can understand Morgan putting the club up for sale but quitting as he has and leaving things to the CEO has us in big trouble.

Back
Top Bottom