Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Graham Potter anyone?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're like the titanic, we've hit a iceberg, that being fosuns money troubles, are now rudderless with JL gone, and GON in charge of the lifeboats I feel we are going down.
Let's hope we find a rubber ring or we may end up like that submarine!l

Let's hope Hobbs is on the big door not Jeff

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would have had 8/9 points with JL at the helm as things are today after the first 4 games and that would have been a good return.
Really?
8 points would require us to have lost none of them; 9 would be win 3 and lost 1
We got 6 points from playing the equivalent games Lopetegui took last season. Neves and Nunes were big parts of the palace win and we got absolutely hammered by Brighton.
There's nothing really happening now that didn't happen at times under Lopetegui.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?
8 points would require us to have lost none of them; 9 would be win 3 and lost 1
We got 6 points from playing the equivalent games Lopetegui took last season. Neves and Nunes were big parts of the palace win and we got absolutely hammered by Brighton.
There's nothing really happening now that didn't happen at times under Lopetegui.
We lost at Palace last season - so far we have the same results from the same games.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
What happened to this being a difficult start to the season?
If Lope didn't walk out and had these results that is what you would all be saying right now.
If Lop had stayed and we were still playing the expansive, attacking football we played that saw us play Rennes and United off the park we would have got something out of the Brighton game and certainly wouldn’t have been turned over by Palace.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lop had stayed and we were still playing the expansive, attacking football we played that saw us play Rennes and United off the park we would have got something out of the Brighton game and certainly wouldn’t have been turned over by Palace.
Something out of the Brighton game my ****!
We were nice and expansive against them last time we played them at their place too. Sure ended well.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would have had 8/9 points with JL at the helm as things are today after the first 4 games and that would have been a good return.
If as everyone says the United match was down to JL, then we still lose that.
Beat Everton.
So JL also gets us 6 points from Brighton and Palace? Don't think so.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The difference between Rennes and yesterday was in the lack of movement and general ponderous approach to attacks. Palace are known for their big solid defence, and our approach played into their hands as they had all the time in the world to get into shape and block our attempts to cross or shoot. In the Rennes game, our forwards moved to find space, we moved the ball quickly and switched sides to unsettle their defence. Everything we didn’t do yesterday. Defensively, pressing high up the pitch, I think we’re fine, and certainly we look far more comfortable than we do when defending deep and looking nervous.

There is an article in the Athletic today which sums it up nicely.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If as everyone says the United match was down to JL, then we still lose that.
Beat Everton.
So JL also gets us 6 points from Brighton and Palace? Don't think so.
I think JL has the ability to make changes and subs to the system that he created that would have won the United game.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve got to stop thinking so small time, with O’Neil and mentions of McKenna.

Purely due to the league, the Wolves job would be one of the top 40/50 in world football, so you need a manager that reflects that.

It’s why we got Lopetegui.

Gary O’Neil is not of that level. He’s one of the luckiest people around to get this job.

Potter was employed by Chelsea, and whilst it didn’t go well, that’s a top 10 job in world football, so he’d clearly fit the criteria for us.

Again though, it’s all funds. Do we really think Hobbs wouldn’t have spoke to Potter in the summer? It would (should) have been the first call as he’s the standout candidate by a million miles.

If you have owners who have given up though, you don’t attract high level managers.

You get one that wasn’t even in contention for top Championship jobs in the summer.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve got to stop thinking so small time, with O’Neil and mentions of McKenna.

Purely due to the league, the Wolves job would be one of the top 40/50 in world football, so you need a manager that reflects that.

It’s why we got Lopetegui.

Gary O’Neil is not of that level. He’s one of the luckiest people around to get this job.

Potter was employed by Chelsea, and whilst it didn’t go well, that’s a top 10 job in world football, so he’d clearly fit the criteria for us.

Again though, it’s all funds. Do we really think Hobbs wouldn’t have spoke to Potter in the summer? It would (should) have been the first call as he’s the standout candidate by a million miles.

If you have owners who have given up though, you don’t attract high level managers.

You get one that wasn’t even in contention for top Championship jobs in the summer.

By that logic, would you prefer Lampard to GON? Managed Chelsea and Everton, so surely he “clearly fits the criteria for us”? ;)

Just saying that using the fact Potter was hired by Chelsea as proof he’s right for us, doesn’t hold water. He was awful at Chelsea, and has quickly been overshadowed at Brighton by his successor with the same squad. Sure he’s more experienced than GON, but that doesn’t mean he’s a massive improvement.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By that logic, would you prefer Lampard to GON? Managed Chelsea and Everton, so surely he “clearly fits the criteria for us”? ;)

Just saying that using the fact Potter was hired by Chelsea as proof he’s right for us, doesn’t hold water. He was awful at Chelsea, and has quickly been overshadowed at Brighton by his successor with the same squad. Sure he’s more experienced than GON, but that doesn’t mean he’s a massive improvement.
No, Potter is clearly a top coach.

His good work with Brighton is becoming underappreciated due to the fact De Zerbi might be one of the best managers around right now. It doesn't mean Potter isn't good. He changed the style of play, and it's forgotten that he took over a Brighton side that finished 17th and many thought would go down.

Also, his time at Chelsea was bad, no doubt, but the performances weren't as bad as the results suggest. Also, Pochettino's start with a better squad might prove there are issues beyond the manager there.

In my opinion going from O'Neil to Potter would be an incredible upgrade.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His good work with Brighton is becoming underappreciated due to the fact De Zerbi might be one of the best managers around right now. It doesn't mean Potter isn't good. He changed the style of play, and it's forgotten that he took over a Brighton side that finished 17th and many thought would go down.

Also, his time at Chelsea was bad, no doubt, but the performances weren't as bad as the results suggest. Also, Pochettino's start with a better squad might prove there are issues beyond the manager there.

Fair points, but probably academic as I suspect Potter will be in another, better, job than Wolves by the time we (might) realise that GON is not up to the job.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I despair. We have played four games,
Would normally be a fair point, but we shouldn't persist with someone underqualified for the job.

People shouldn't feel guilty in saying O'Neil should leave, as he shouldn't have been here in the first place. It's on him to prove he deserves to have such a great job that he isn't qualified for. If he's not doing that, even after four or eight games, we should make the decision if there are better options out there.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re Chelsea, having an owner who spunks hundreds of millions of pounds on "name" players on an apparently random basis isn't necessarily a blessing.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Give the manager a chance, three away games, two against potentially top sides . Three new players signed and one on loan, yet to figure. I personally thought we played some good football at the weekend against a big powerful Palace side who will cause many teams problems.

Newcastle who are tipped for the top few , haven't had the greatest start. Are they calling for a change of manager?

Our manager hasn't been in the job ten minutes . How do any of you know wether he is going to be a success or not.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't. I think everybody was saying before the season started how difficult our first 8 games were and were willing to give him time as it is a tough start.
Also imagine the angst among the fanbase had he been here only to lose Nunes before the start of the season.

I think the main focus was to target the earlier games for the points to see us through the tough run in the middle.
Realistically under Lop he'd have been aiming for minimum 7pts from the first 4, then targeting Luton as a win with Liverpool / Man City as free hits. We'd be on 10pts from 7 games, which gives a 50+ pt haul if averaged over the season.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the main focus was to target the earlier games for the points to see us through the tough run in the middle.
Realistically under Lop he'd have been aiming for minimum 7pts from the first 4, then targeting Luton as a win with Liverpool / Man City as free hits. We'd be on 10pts from 7 games, which gives a 50+ pt haul if averaged over the season.
Minimum 7 points my ****!
Man united at Old Trafford Brighton at home crystal palace and Everton away 7 points? There is absolutely no way would we have done that with Julen. What's more If he felt he could do that he would still be here. We'd be talking almost 2 points a game over what is a difficult set of fixtures. We'd be looking at competing for Europe. He didn't think we could do that without more players.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I despair. We have played four games,
Absolutely right but the warning signs are already there. I think it's reasonable, even after 4 games, to make an early assessment and the worry is we are now where we were this time last season. There is nothing to suggest this season will progress any better than last so by Xmas we could well be in the bottom 3 and drifting. I guarantee you Hobbs, when appointing GON in a hurry had another managers' list on his desk, who he could call around Nov/Dec time to replace GON. The really sad thing this time is I don't think there will be anyone of the calibre of JL who he could ring.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Give the manager a chance, three away games, two against potentially top sides . Three new players signed and one on loan, yet to figure. I personally thought we played some good football at the weekend against a big powerful Palace side who will cause many teams problems.

Newcastle who are tipped for the top few , haven't had the greatest start. Are they calling for a change of manager?

Our manager hasn't been in the job ten minutes . How do any of you know wether he is going to be a success or not.
So only time will tell

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Minimum 7 points my ****!
Man united at Old Trafford Brighton at home crystal palace and Everton away 7 points? There is absolutely no way would we have done that with Julen. What's more If he felt he could do that he would still be here. We'd be talking almost 2 points a game over what is a difficult set of fixtures. We'd be looking at competing for Europe. He didn't think we could do that without more players.

United there for the taking. Always start slow and had an absolute rotten pre season.

Palace and Everton both winnable. They're there or thereabouts where we are going to finish so we should be targeting them! So apart from targeting to beat our supposed relegation rivals, that leaves 1pt to be targeted from United/Brighton, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score

Potter was given a awful start by a new owner who thought he knew everything and could by a team. It doesn’t work like that, Potter was on a hiding to nothing trying to place multi million pound players in a team. But every picture tells a story, how have they done since his removal

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Something out of the Brighton game my ****!
We were nice and expansive against them last time we played them at their place too. Sure ended well.
So are you alluding to the fact we are a poor team with a bang average manager, who are hoping there are three worst teams . It’s going to be a thrilling season. Bring on the entertainment

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So are you alluding to the fact we are a poor team with a bang average manager, who are hoping there are three worst teams . It’s going to be a thrilling season. Bring on the entertainment
Is GON even bang average?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?

Not sure if we would have any more points under JL. Perhaps 1 more. However, I'm sure we would be feeling a lot more confident about beating Luton and Bournemouth. Performances would be better. It's not just the last 4 games, it's the next 6, which provide opportunities to pick up points. Opportunities that feel far less likely right now.

Gasman

Reaction score
Ruud Van Nistelrooy would of been a better choice than Gary.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if we would have any more points under JL. Perhaps 1 more. However, I'm sure we would be feeling a lot more confident about beating Luton and Bournemouth. Performances would be better. It's not just the last 4 games, it's the next 6, which provide opportunities to pick up points. Opportunities that feel far less likely right now.
Spot on. I said elsewhere that points may not have been different but if we played like this we'd be very critical of lopetegui. If we played well but missed points, he'd have plenty of support.

Luton's the big one. Lose to liverpool and luton and the crowd will turn.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn't beat Bournemouth last time round under Lopetegui. Luton weren't in the premier league, but we lost to Leeds, drew with leicester and beat Saints. Performances aren't bad at all bar 15 minutes against brighton and the Everton game which we ended up winning.
I'd have more confidence in giving Liverpool a fight, but I haven't written that one of yet anyway. If Salah goes i don't think Liverpool are up to that much these days and whilst better than us they are definitely beatable(in the same way Man United are)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. I said elsewhere that points may not have been different but if we played like this we'd be very critical of lopetegui. If we played well but missed points, he'd have plenty of support.

Luton's the big one. Lose to liverpool and luton and the crowd will turn.

Also on this subject of points. The way we were playing under JL in the last friendlies and the last remnants of his reign in the Man U match, we'd have outplayed Everton and beaten them far more comfortably. Jose Sa would not have been man of the match!

It's the same points, but worlds apart, especially early in the season when league position depends so much on who you've played. It's performance level that will determine the points we get from now on.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think JL has the ability to make changes and subs to the system that he created that would have won the United game.
Or we might’ve conceded early and fell apart. It’s all ifs and buts

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
Honestly, I was surprised to see a thread on this four games into the season. Gary and his team need to be given a chance to improve things, otherwise we become another Watford and sack managers constantly.

Personally, I think we've played OK in the main. With better finishing we would be in a much better position, but the lack of firepower goes back years!!!

Let's stick together and get behind him!

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, I was surprised to see a thread on this four games into the season. Gary and his team need to be given a chance to improve things, otherwise we become another Watford and sack managers constantly.

Personally, I think we've played OK in the main. With better finishing we would be in a much better position, but the lack of firepower goes back years!!!

The problem is how long do you give him? Steve Davis obviously wasn't up to the task but he was only an interim - we ended up giving him about 20% of a season!

Nathan Jones another at Southampton who was left in the role far too long and did irreparable damage.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are basing JL on the Rennes and Man Utd games only. We had many turgid performances last season under him too. Yes I’m aware he had a pre season now but even Lage had us playing phenomenally for 3 games. Who’s to say the same wouldn’t have happened with Julen

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m not. Majority aren’t willing to give him a chance because they didn’t want him in the first place

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fickle fans two wins and everything is fine last week with manager team and happy with late buys in transfer window..

Lose against C Palace with it scoring goals knee jerk reaction doom and gloom and GON so potty :cool:

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to know what the feeling amongst the players is on GON.

Whether they trust him and will follow him into battle is the question.

That said, Potter was my choice when Lop left.

Although the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Lop is still in the area as he's waiting to mount his white horse and come riding to the rescue again when Fosun sell up.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club getting sold isnt going to guarantee things improve. Its not like Fosun havent pumped in plenty of money. They need to restructure but i cant see them doing it because that would need them to admit they are doing something wrong.

Are we even getting sold though. All I've heard is an investment group. Nothing about Fosun selling the whole club.

Back
Top Bottom