Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Graham Potter anyone?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We still have no money.

This is the big issue, a lot of talk has helped distract from the issue.

We didn't sign Doyle right now, because we have no money. We offered to loan Adams now, because we have no money. We offered to loan Dia, because we have no money.

Fosun are entirely our biggest problem, and they have to go if we are to progress. In fact, not even that, if we are to avoid relegation.

For some reason, we are skint, despite making £120m in profit on transfer dealings and saving around £40m a year on the wage bill. Clearly, a Premier League club that does that shouldn't be in a problem, so it shows the issues go high.

We have O'Neil because he's cheap, that's the only reason.

It's also why we can't get Potter.

We've had it until we get sold.

The club getting sold isnt going to guarantee things improve. Its not like Fosun havent pumped in plenty of money. They need to restructure but i cant see them doing it because that would need them to admit they are doing something wrong.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can only see us upgrading our manager when we upgrade on our ownership.

It’s wishful thinking that GON is temporary/a stop-gap, why give a three year deal if that was the case.

We’re at best treading water.

A 3 year deal doesnt mean he will get 3 years. Very good chance there are clauses in their to end his contract without paying it all.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A 3 year deal doesnt mean he will get 3 years. Very good chance there are clauses in their to end his contract without paying it all.
Exactly, David moyes was sacked by United 24 hours before his severance became Multi millions.

Was a rush job, but those clauses do exist.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s still early in the season. I think what’s playing out atm is exactly what many expected. Look at the games individually though and even with JL in charge, I’m not sure we’d have expected much different tbh.

Old Trafford is always tough, even when Utd are ****, Brighton seem to just be sweeping teams away atm (just ask NUFC how easy it was to take on BHAFC), Everton away isn’t easy but is a chance for points - which we got, and palace away we usually lose or draw. So on balance, where we are is probably where we’d expect after that run of games.

The manner of the performances is probably the most concerning thing. We outplayed Utd, but have been fortunate to steal all 3 points from Everton. In saying that, that happens more often in football matches than we’d like to remember. The performances against palace and Brighton were not good and showed it is going to be a tough old season. Getting shut of GON now (4 premier league games played) would not change that unfortunately; it would destabilise the club and players even further.

The time to judge is probably in 6 games time imo, but tbh, I am going to judge at the end of the season, regardless of how it goes. I’m expecting a slog and a battle to avoid the drop. Let’s see if GON can navigate a route to premier league safety.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s still early in the season. I think what’s playing out atm is exactly what many expected. Look at the games individually though and even with JL in charge, I’m not sure we’d have expected much different tbh.

Old Trafford is always tough, even when Utd are ****, Brighton seem to just be sweeping teams away atm (just ask NUFC how easy it was to take on BHAFC), Everton away isn’t easy but is a chance for points - which we got, and palace away we usually lose or draw. So on balance, where we are is probably where we’d expect after that run of games.

The manner of the performances is probably the most concerning thing. We outplayed Utd, but have been fortunate to steal all 3 points from Everton. In saying that, that happens more often in football matches than we’d like to remember. The performances against palace and Brighton were not good and showed it is going to be a tough old season. Getting shut of GON now (4 premier league games played) would not change that unfortunately; it would destabilise the club and players even further.

The time to judge is probably in 6 games time imo, but tbh, I am going to judge at the end of the season, regardless of how it goes. I’m expecting a slog and a battle to avoid the drop. Let’s see if GON can navigate a route to premier league safety.
Bournemouth were bloody terrible and was a season of everton’esque results and performances where they were outplayed and out shot, but got a sucker punch or jammy goal to win it.

Also GO knew the players when he took over, he doesn’t know them here. Also they are much less skilled and able players, meaning his lower level training and low level of football IQ won’t potentially frustrate or leave them uninspired or questioning what is they are doing.

He also wont know and is showing very early, that he doesn’t know how to maximise the skills of better players, his comments about the amount of movement and effectively that they try things show he wants a meat and potato’s “plain Jane” player….. he hasn’t got the football or coaching IQ to work with better.

if it he was going to keep one side up between Bournemouth or wolves, it is more likely it is only Bournemouth he keeps us.

Harsh, but I am sorry very true.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After calming down a bit I think we've got to give O'Neil at least 10 - 15 games to see if he can get the team playing cohesive football. If we're still all over the place after 15 games then Hobbs needs to be given some of that left over Nunes money to bring in a decent manager and backroom staff.
That’s where I am too - I know a lot of people didn’t want him, but he’s here now, may as well get behind him for a bit and see what he can do rather than constantly slagging him.

People on social media (and forums) set out their stall early and use confirmation bias to see exactly what they said would happen.

It’s too early to sack him, and if he succeeds, wolves succeed so I want him to do well. If we’re not doing well before Christmas and there’s a good replacement available, that’s the time for him to go.

Calling for him to go now is just stupid posturing - it’s not going to happen, but people just want to shoot their mouths off.

T

TheConcourse

After calming down a bit I think we've got to give O'Neil at least 10 - 15 games to see if he can get the team playing cohesive football. If we're still all over the place after 15 games then Hobbs needs to be given some of that left over Nunes money to bring in a decent manager and backroom staff.
Let’s hope he and Shaun Derry have something up their sleeves, and are able to translate their ideas to a group of lads from multiple cultures over the next 14 days. All whilst retaining their confidence.

Oh ****, and some of them are away on internationals.

He’s got 3 games for me. Sooner he’s out of the door the better.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s where I am too - I know a lot of people didn’t want him, but he’s here now, may as well get behind him for a bit and see what he can do rather than constantly slagging him.

People on social media (and forums) set out their stall early and use confirmation bias to see exactly what they said would happen.

It’s too early to sack him, and if he succeeds, wolves succeed so I want him to do well. If we’re not doing well before Christmas and there’s a good replacement available, that’s the time for him to go.

Calling for him to go now is just stupid posturing - it’s not going to happen, but people just want to shoot their mouths off.
It isn’t stupid posturing though. The longer he is here, the more damage it does.

Southampton waited too long to sack the guy after Ralf and that is what ultimately relegated them.

This is elite sport, not the dog and duck Sunday league, it is clear he is well out of his depth, so why persevere? We are in a 5/6 team relegation shoot out, we need to be the best of the rest, but base it on performances after united as that was prepped by JL, we are easily the third worst team in the league
Currently, but that is a tight call.

Everton out played us and fulham, we’re by far the better side in both games and if not for a game of their lives performance against them by Leno and Sa, Everton would have six points and us one……

There are only concerns with him, no positives

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Well said

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The united performance had very very very little to do with GO.

Structures and tactics were the ones to the Rennes game to a tee…..

Not even Pep or a managerial titan could
Have or would have changed anything as the new manager only had them for at most 3/4 hours befor the United game.

All he had time to do was meet the players, introduce himself, do a low intensity session as you can’t do a big one or too intense so close to game. He was really on there as a motivator in that game.

The GO era started the day after United and from there it has been a scary and worrying rapid decline……

T

TheConcourse

It’s definitely not posturing. Most of us didn’t want him when the rumour landed, and the general consensus was backed by either data or qualitative insights from Bournemouth fans.

This is nothing to do with bias, it was an appointment with a side salad of lunacy. No fit at all with our players, and from the moment he trudged in with his backpack, eyes down, shoulders down, it should have been enough validation to everyone that this guy will not inspire this dressing room.

I actually feel sorry for him. Thrown to the Wolves.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s definitely not posturing. Most of us didn’t want him when the rumour landed, and the general consensus was backed by either data or qualitative insights from Bournemouth fans.

This is nothing to do with bias, it was an appointment with a side salad of lunacy. No fit at all with our players, and from the moment he trudged in with his backpack, eyes down, shoulders down, it should have been enough validation to everyone that this guy will not inspire this dressing room.

I actually feel sorry for him. Thrown to the Wolves.
You are bang on, with your points on bias.

But remember, He voluntarily applied, interviewed for three hours…… and according to Hobbs was fully informed as to the challenges. Then he accepted the job after that process.

Not thrown to the wolves at all……… he stepped into the post willingly

T

TheConcourse

You are bang on, with your points on bias.

But remember, He voluntarily applied, interviewed for three hours…… and according to Hobbs was fully informed as to the challenges. Then he accepted the job after that process.

Not thrown to the wolves at all……… he stepped into the post willingly
You’re right, I should try not to be smart with my play on words!

Wolfenstein

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes it's all Lopetegui's fault and Comrade Jeff is faultless.
No one said he was faultless. Sorry I forgot to mention his name.

The fact that I said the club is a shambles at the moment directs that to him. Apologies my comments didn’t meet your criteria.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil was the cheap option. Potter is still enjoying his Chelsea pay-off.
I’m wondering whether he really wants to manage again. I think he was badly affected by his Chelsea experience with the threats to his family being particularly shocking. Pochettino’s Chelsea lost at home to Forest yesterday but he’s not receiving the flack Potter would have done.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Minor correction. Confirmation bias also means ignoring evidence or predicting what's inevitable anyway. In fact it's going exactly as predicted.

I'm not sure Lop would have got us more points - we'll never know. My worry is the direction of travel with how we're playing.

I'll complain on here but he has to have a handful more games for a true picture; so at games they have my support. I suspect we'll bumble along and get the odd shock result, enough for him to keep his job.

RichB

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be fair, GON hasn't had a summer to prepare

But imagine the damage GoN could do if he had of had the summer. It scares me.

I’m not one for slating a manager this soon but he’s simply out of his depth.

The Manure performance was tactically good and we deserved something but it’s become evidently clear that it was Lops preparation.

We look unfit (much like last season before Lop arrived), tactically we are getting poorer and god knows what he says at half time.

It may seem knee jerk but I can only see things getting worse the longer he stays.

For me NES would be the choice. Has an affinity with the fans and would bring something back to us. But there’s no way that happens until this shower of **** Fosun sell the club.

Potter wouldn’t come. Just not happening.

Scarily…. Who could we realistically gain as our manager.

At this point I’d take Harry ****ing Potter

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
why not get pep?

I assume you assume that in selecting O’Neill wolves ignored better candidates who wanted to come?
I think they went for the best in their price range that’s all one candidate

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
As much as Potter would be amazing Kieran McKenna would be a great option imo. 86 games at Ipswich and has turned them from League One strugglers into currently 2nd in Champ. Wouldn’t cost a lot wages rise, 57% win rate and up and coming with new ideas etc. plus has been Assistant at United so experience in Prem with higher calibre players etc.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as Potter would be amazing Kieran McKenna would be a great option imo. 86 games at Ipswich and has turned them from League One strugglers into currently 2nd in Champ. Wouldn’t cost a lot wages rise, 57% win rate and up and coming with new ideas etc. plus has been Assistant at United so experience in Prem with higher calibre players etc.
Plymouth manager is a good shout also. But McKenna is a great shout would he come here??

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Plymouth manager is a good shout also. But McKenna is a great shout would he come here??
I’d like to think so mate…only thing stopping him maybe would be to continue his Ipswich project, but we have a balanced, talented squad now that need to be given the freedom to express themselves and think he would do that. Suppose the question would be too if Fosun would be willing to go all out to get a manager already in a job?….

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The saying 'you get what you pay for' seems particularly relevant to both the state of our club and country at the moment - both are falling apart (quite literally when you look at our schools, hospitals etc)

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happened to this being a difficult start to the season?
If Lope didn't walk out and had these results that is what you would all be saying right now.

casbul

Reaction score
I'd take Ole Gunnar, to be honest. I think he has a really bad reputation for absolutely no reason at all - got to a Europa League final which he lost to Mr Europa League Final himself, Unai Emery; and got Man United to 2nd place finish in the league with a line-up that I would honestly say is not too much better than what we have now. Played 3atb quite a lot, win percentage 54%.

His reputation is down to a handful of bad results and a bad finish. But I don't think he deserves that - if any manager who had a handful of bad results and a bad end to a club was vilified then Nuno wouldn't be a legend here.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Lop only had 3pts after these games I think he'd be under immense pressure with the schedule coming up.
I don't. I think everybody was saying before the season started how difficult our first 8 games were and were willing to give him time as it is a tough start.
Also imagine the angst among the fanbase had he been here only to lose Nunes before the start of the season.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
We're like the titanic, we've hit a iceberg, that being fosuns money troubles, are now rudderless with JL gone, and GON in charge of the lifeboats I feel we are going down.
Let's hope we find a rubber ring or we may end up like that submarine!

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

McKenna probably needs a season in the Championship to really get a grasp at how good he really is, but yeah he's done a very good job and does look promising. Would he come here ? Hmm depends how much we'd want him I'd guess

Back
Top Bottom