Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gordon McQueen R.I.P.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Former Manchester United, Leeds United and Scotland centre half Gordon McQueen has sadly passed away. He was diagnosed with dementia two years ago and this having battled cancer.

McQueen was a no nonsense centre half who gave as good as he got. Those of my generation will know that he was a very good player.

R.I.P.

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen that Gordon McQueen has died aged 70. Another great player from the 1970s.
I remember seeing him at Molineux on one particular occasion when we were playing Leeds, and we had a good team in those days, but we threw everything at them bar the kitchen sink, and McQueen was a colossus at the heart of their defence. Was impressed with him ever since that day.
RIP Gordon.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ally MacLeod famously selected Gordon for the 1978 World Cup Finals in Argentina even though he had suffered a serious blow to the knee in a Home International match at Hampden Park having collided full on with one of those legendary square wooden posts. There immediately was a lot of doubt if Gordon would be fit for the opening games ( England became experts in taking injured players to the final stages ! ) to which the totally over confident Mr MacLeod said " Well he will be fine for the second stage games ! " Of course the campaign was a shambles and Scotland came home after 3 games. The thing was though Ally was right to hope Big Gordon was okay for later games as the man was probably the best centre half of his type there was. While he could dish it out, he was also no hatchet / boot it anywhere merchant and was a good player on the floor. Gordon is probably most remembered goal scoring wise for that towering header against England at Wembley in 1977, for younger Mixers who have not seen it I recommend a visit to YouTube as it should be in the dictionary as the very definition of the term ' Towering Header ' .

Hayley McQueen tells a lovely tale that on more than one occasion she would bring home an English boyfriend to a family barbecue who would then be greeted by her man mountain of a Dad and the equally terrifying sight of one of her Dad's best mates a certain Mr Joe Jordan. The poor sod was able to barely speak when faced with these two massive Scots !

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Former Manchester United, Leeds United and Scotland centre half Gordon McQueen has sadly passed away. He was diagnosed with dementia two years and this having battled cancer.

McQueen was a no nonsense centre half who gave as good as he got. Those of my generation will know that he was a very good player.

R.I.P.
Well said Frank.

He arrived at Elland Road after the ‘Dirty Leeds’ era and was, as you say, a very good, no nonsense centre half for both Leeds and Man U. Good with the ball at his feet and commanding in the air.

So sad to hear of his passing.

RIP Gordon McQueen, with condolences to all family and friends.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Former Manchester United, Leeds United and Scotland centre half Gordon McQueen has sadly passed away. He was diagnosed with dementia two years and this having battled cancer.

R.I.P.
Very true, God Bless and RIP

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad..... one of the big stars of the 70's when I started watching football, always think of him when I think back on memorable Cup finals.

RIP

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Definitely an iconic player & a beast of a defender for those of us around in the 70s & 80s - RIP Gordon McQueen.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw him play many times and you always knew it would be a hard game. It's sad to hear this news. Thinking of his family who will miss him a great deal. RIP Gordon. Another reminder that the years are flying by.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
another good player has left us,they seem to be dropping like flies at the minute.a solid no nonsense player who was as hard as nails and never tried to do anything he could`nt and a lot of todays players could learn from that.RIP Gordon and thoughts are with family and friends at this sad time

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sort of player I’d love to see in gold and black next season.

A real character from the great 1970’s.

RIP

Back
Top Bottom