Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely on my own here, but I’m hopeful he finds his form at Benfica and comes back to a happier and more successful Wolves in summer and then smashes it for us.

He’s a talented player and they can come back into the fold eg Xhaka. We are unlikely to recover what we’ve paid for him so that would be the best option imo.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would rather he just leaves and we recoup most of our money. Doesn't fight for the shirt.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Definitely on my own here, but I’m hopeful he finds his form at Benfica and comes back to a happier and more successful Wolves in summer and then smashes it for us.

He’s a talented player and they can come back into the fold eg Xhaka. We are unlikely to recover what we’ve paid for him so that would be the best option imo.
I think everyone would like that to happen. Just not many have seen anything to make them think there's any possibility of it actually happening. Dead cat bounce in the Arsenal game gave me a glimmer of hope, but the fact that Lopetegui was obviously a fan but has shipped him out so quickly probably says it all.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think everyone would like that to happen. Just not many have seen anything to make them think there's any possibility of it actually happening. Dead cat bounce in the Arsenal game gave me a glimmer of hope, but the fact that Lopetegui was obviously a fan but has shipped him out so quickly probably says it all.
Clearly needs to sort his head out but it may be that he wasn’t training to the required level or just wasn’t settling rather than being poisonous or some of the other invective being used on here.

Hopefully he gets his headspace right and can return happy as we aren’t getting that fee back. Second best would be as a makeweight in a deal for a Benfica talent.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to be a player that needs to settle somewhere. He bombed out of PSG at similar speed but was happy at Valencia. If he’s not central to JLs plans then he’s taking a non-HG place that could be used by someone who wants to try. It’s not like JL didn’t give him a chance, played him in a number of games.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can look past bad performances but when there is just a blatent lack of interest and effort, I cannot look past that

The Arsenal game was the final straw for me. New manager in the stand watching, decent atmosphere, last game before the WC break and he quite simply could not be ****ed.

He literally did not want to be on the pitch. He was walking in the direction of the touchline everytime the fourth official would flag for a substitute. He was desperate to show his number.

Semedo, Silva and him will go down as the worst signings of this era for me. And what a waste at £100m plus - but you can at least excuse and make a case for further chances for the former two for trying. Guedes can do one as far as I am concerned.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd be happy with that too but much more likely we were a poor match and that's it. I hope he does well but that's mainly so we can get some money back. We're going to eat a substantial loss on him which is a shame because he is a decent enough player (whereas Cutrone failed everywhere afterwards). He's probably only going to work in Portugal or Spain and they don't have the funds we do.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can fully understand your reluctance, and Guedes was poor, but I give you Stefan Mairhoffer, Darren Anderton, Jamie O'Hara, and... Roger (hic) Johnson.
I’m not talking about being poor, we’ve had loads of players with less ability.

We’ve also had players who havnt given it there all.

Borthwick-Jackson for example acted like he was doing us a favour by turning up.

However, Guedes at Chelsea was something else. Honestly. I was close to the front and watched him. He looked like a lad whose mates had dragged him out of bed to play at East Park on a Sunday morning to make the numbers up despite him having absolutely no interest in playing football at all, couldn’t give a **** about the result and just wanted it to end so he could go to the pub for midday.

It was incredible. People were going past him and he just stood there, not even a token jog back or sticking a leg out to make it look like he gave a toss.

His performance at Forest, in a ****ing quarter final, was similar.

I get transfers don’t always work, I get he may not have settled and I get that he wants to go home. No issue with that, but to pull on a Wolves shirt, go onto the pitch and just not give a **** to the extent he did is unbelievable. Don’t expect him to have any affection for the club, just staggerd that a young man could lack any pride and heart whilst playing professional sport.

Long rant, as you can probably tell he really ****ed me off. :)

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
To be honest I was underwhelmed by him from the start but expected him to improve once he settled. Instead he went progressively downhill, but then a brief glimpse of what he could do against Brighton, only followed by further disappointment. Took his gift wrapped goal at Anfield well but I'll be happy to never see him pull on or shirt again.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being objective, his goal Vs Brighton was him stumbling and accidentally toepoking it into the net as he planted a balancing foot. He knew nothing about it.
He beat his man, was stumbling as he was pushed but stayed on his feet, and then opened his body to place it on the near side of the keeper.

I get that he’s understandably not flavour of the month but we’re re-writing history here just to re-enforce a narrative, and calling him out for smiling
at the airport instead of being inconsolable as he leaves one job for another.

Not aiming this at you directly but the extremity on here can be, well, extreme.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He obviously day like orange chips or pork scratchings. Should have checked at the medical.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Confirmed by Benfica.

Congratulations to Benfica for winning the 2023 Wolverhampton Wanderers free attacker giveaway.

The Lisbon giants are the second side to scoop the award after Barcelona sealed the first one in style with their capture of Adama Traore 12 months ago.

Good luck to all clubs competing in 2024.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Confirmed by Benfica.

Congratulations to Benfica for winning the 2023 Wolverhampton Wanderers free attacker giveaway.

The Lisbon giants are the second side to scoop the award after Barcelona sealed the first one in style with their capture of Adama Traore 12 months ago.

Good luck to all clubs competing in 2024.
Commiserations for the 2019/20/21 winners who got Leo Bonnatini

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I've pinned my colours to the mast in this chat earlier. I see a talented player who didn't settle fast enough. I would have backed him to come good. Maybe he still can. But I also back Lopetegui and he clearly has made up his mind.

We'll never know what was said to Guedes to convince him to come. It's clear that he's at his best when played centrally. Also that we desperately needed goals and signed a player who has never been prolific. And he came into a system where he was played out wide. Was that the plan he agreed to?

It's a shame. I'll add him to the list of talented players I wish had been given more time. But I also can't deny he wasn't showing any real effort to fit in or fight.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Felt like him joining us was years in the making, he was an exciting talent and couldn't wait to see what he could do. Safe to say it was a complete let down. Didn't seem to settle at all and seemed to just not want to be in such a pressing/physical league from the very off.

Only hope is that Benfica are at least covering his wages.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He beat his man, was stumbling as he was pushed but stayed on his feet, and then opened his body to place it on the near side of the keeper.

I get that he’s understandably not flavour of the month but we’re re-writing history here just to re-enforce a narrative, and calling him out for smiling
at the airport instead of being inconsolable as he leaves one job for another.

Not aiming this at you directly but the extremity on here can be, well, extreme.
Good post.
We don’t know what he was promised to come here, what happened or what the atmosphere was like among the squad and Bruno when he got here.

During the summer and early in the season, I was wondering if there was a long lineup outside Shi’s office of players who wanted to leave.
I suspect there was and still could be.

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£30m spent on Guedes and £35m on Fabio in recent years but now they're both out on loan and seemingly not up to the standard to help in our relegation scrap.

When will Shi finally be held accountable for the ****show he's presided over the last few years? Clubs like ourselves can't afford to waste that sort of money, think about the good experienced pros it could've been used to buy that would've improved us.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Good luck to him. It didn’t work here, or hadn’t worked so far, it happens. People calling him our worst ever signing are being a little OTT, as per. On paper it was a good signing, but for whatever reason we’ve not seen the Guedes that Valencia saw. If it frees up a space in the squad and some wages for a new striker, then it’s the right move for everyone, player and club.

Reaction score
Having to constantly watch this bloke in a Wolves top, mope around with a face like a Babbie's smacked ****, then seeing photos of exactly the opposite, beaming, getting off the plane and in his new Benfica kit?
It's a hard watch, and just doesn't sit right.

May be me being puerile, or petty. But my gut reaction is, "You ****ing snake"

Happy weekend all!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being objective, his goal Vs Brighton was him stumbling and accidentally toepoking it into the net as he planted a balancing foot. He knew nothing about it.
Scored his easy goal against Liverpool and didn’t celebrate it one bit!

I watched Guedes play for Portugal a few years back in (I think) in the Euro’s. Not the last one, but the previous.

He was given a big build up by the commentary team, but he was bloody hopeless. Can’t remember the opposition, but he was substituted after being anonymous and doing absolutely nothing.

So much for our due diligence under Lage and Sellars!

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's cold, It's miserable, it's a ****hole, I don't speak the language, it's too physical, it's too fast for me, I wanna go home, Mum, what is this dump?!

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having to constantly watch this bloke in a Wolves top, mope around with a face like a Babbie's smacked ****, then seeing photos of exactly the opposite, beaming, getting off the plane and in his new Benfica kit?
It's a hard watch, and just doesn't sit right.

May be me being puerile, or petty. But my gut reaction is, "You ****ing snake"

Happy weekend all!
It's pathetic from him really. He made the choice to come to Wolves then couldn't even put effort in for his first half season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's cold, It's miserable, it's a ****hole, I don't speak the language, it's too physical, it's too fast for me, I wanna go home, Mum, what is this dump?!
Oh come on sir.
that’s a very simplistic slant on this. I doubt it’s anything like this.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dunno why Mendes gets any criticism here, he isn't the guy with the checkbook - like any agent he's there to negotiate on behalf of his client. Those that seem to think Mendes getting a cut of every move is something sinister need to remember it is literally what an agent does for a living.

It's up to Wolves who they decide to open negotiations with and not too many seemed disappointed when we brought Guedes in.

That he hasn't succeeded is partly on the club, mostly on the player. As a club you need to create the optimal conditions for your investments to succeed. Did we do that? Probably not, but there's no denying we didn't exactly scout this one very well. Always looked like he was in the process of falling over whenever he got the ball, looks boss-eyed, rarely picked up a sprint, pressing was half-hearted at best and is very easily dispossessed.

Looked very quickly like he didn't want to be here. I know body language isn't always indicative of the true picture and none of us know exactly what went on but it's a pretty safe hypothesis given he hasn't come anywhere close to his best form and is already on his way back to Portugal.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck to him, I hope he smashes it at Benfica and starts a bidding war for him. But I hope he never sets foot in Wolverhampton again, he’s been worse than terrible. Alright, he joined a team managed by a clown and then a guy out of his depth but at least ****ing look like you want to be here. Taking 3 years to sign him seems like it was basically waiting until he had no choice but to come to us.

Pound for pound he’s been one of the worst signings of all time, not just in the Fosun era.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not talking about being poor, we’ve had loads of players with less ability.

We’ve also had players who havnt given it there all.

Borthwick-Jackson for example acted like he was doing us a favour by turning up.

However, Guedes at Chelsea was something else. Honestly. I was close to the front and watched him. He looked like a lad whose mates had dragged him out of bed to play at East Park on a Sunday morning to make the numbers up despite him having absolutely no interest in playing football at all, couldn’t give a **** about the result and just wanted it to end so he could go to the pub for midday.

It was incredible. People were going past him and he just stood there, not even a token jog back or sticking a leg out to make it look like he gave a toss.

His performance at Forest, in a ****ing quarter final, was similar.

I get transfers don’t always work, I get he may not have settled and I get that he wants to go home. No issue with that, but to pull on a Wolves shirt, go onto the pitch and just not give a **** to the extent he did is unbelievable. Don’t expect him to have any affection for the club, just staggerd that a young man could lack any pride and heart whilst playing professional sport.

Long rant, as you can probably tell he really ****ed me off. :)

You do know he was injured while he was playing in that Chelsea game. Shouldnt have even been on the pitch.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look on his social media he doesn’t quite seem to have been given the same sort of welcome off the pitch many of the other Portuguese recruits have had.

That could of course be entirely down to him but you could quite easily paint a picture that he came into a squad that’d already turned on the manager (which we know is very very tight knit) as that manager’s golden child.

He does have talent, and I do think he could have fitted into the PL, but for whatever reason it hasn’t worked.

People read too much into the body language thing and just how he looks. If his team mates thought he wasnt trying, he would be on the outer with them and he just isnt. You cant let your team mates down and get away with it.

I think its just as simple as he isnt settled here. Maybe England just doesnt suit the bloke.

Back
Top Bottom