Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

GON wheels come off?!

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
Don’t get coming out with common sense on here with all the dummies getting flung out the prams, I’m not happy today as I’m sure everyone else isn’t, but let’s stick with our manager and see what unfolds over the next few games.
Sometimes it’s like listening to a classroom full of silly five year old girls when we lose.
We’re not dining at the top table, deal with it.
Just to clarify I agree with you I’m just fed up with the hysterical moaning little babies on here
I understood mate and totally agree

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
Fact, we've very little movement for this seasons ffp. A consequence of being an average championship side elevated through investment. GON is there as he's cheap, unlikely to moan and can coach! I may have got a bit excited when we went 12th but truth is we lack that bit of quality and depth!
No point calling out GON he's doing more than what was expected.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON is like an English-speaking version of Lage. Just as lacking in leadership qualities, just as rigid and tactically inept when Plan A goes wrong, as it did today.
Increasingly feels like that albeit Lage had achieved some previous success.

Last edited:

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
let’s see if he can turn the performances around, good managers are able to. After a turgid performance against Forest, we had 8 days and today was the best we came up with.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
Gary O’Neil is young and still relatively new to management, and, I would hope, learning all the time. The players clearly are happy with him, referring to the Man City and Spurs wins. He’s making mistakes, or rather odd decisions in our eyes, but very few teams go through an entire season without losing a game or two along the way. I would stick with him until he’s had a transfer window or two.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone thought we were nailed on for relegation at the beginning of the season with this squad and GON. Now we are 10 points above the relegation zone, people think he should be getting more from them.

This place is nuts.
I was one of O'Neil's biggest detractors and even I didn't think we were in a relegation battle. As poor as we are/were, O'Neil should be getting this squad to at least 15th, probably higher. Which he is, thus far.

I should add, as much as I have doubts about his suitability for the job, the players don't seem to have downed tools. Yet.

Last edited:

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
GON will make mistakes and there have been quite a few instances where you are questioning what the game plan is, today included.

The real issue here though is that the expectations levels are so low, whenever we do go on a bad run GON will go back into his Bournemouth management mode of getting points by any means possible. As far as he is concerned, finishing 17th or above is meeting expectations.

In turn this means a real lack of longer term progression due to always being stop start in terms of approach and mentality when we play, and no real philosophy. When we had Nuno, we almost knew what our approach would be before we kicked off - I haven't seen that with this team yet.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We aren’t going down this season a shamefully that’s Fosuns only goal.

Yep I agree with this.
Gary O'Neil is achieving his job specification " keep us up with what we've got" .
I imagine there won't be any significant signings in Jan and that GON will be here for quite some time.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
let’s see if he can turn the performances around, good managers are able to. After a turgid performance against Forest, we had 8 days and today was the best we came up with.
Tbf, sometimes momentum is something you build and 8 days off (or go back to the spurs victory) is a long time to stall and wait for games to come around.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of balance needed. We’ve done well in some games and bad in others. Some we have just been average.

We have a mid table team with a middling manager and the results/table reflects that.

If we were holding up the relegation places l would agree that we are in trouble. We’re doing exactly as expected and there will be more bad results but a few surprises by the end of the season.

Knee jerk reactions are for when the doctor thinks there’s no response. The team are not there yet.

Get to the end of the season then re assess. We will be fine. It won’t be pretty but it will be OK

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other than City, Spurs, Bournemouth away I think the performances all season been pretty uninspiring! Luton, Everton, Burnley, Forest, and today remarkably poor!

I mean to concede 3 away to a team around us in West Ham after they have played in Europe mid week too is unforgivable!

Do we back GON next summer? Do we put more time into him? He's not pulling any trees up for me, I feel he should be getting more from this squad.

Thoughts gents???
The people at the top set their stall out when they appointed him , anyone that’s believed it was anything other than cheap and hopefully cheerful are bonkers !! This lot haven’t really had a clue the whole time they’ve been here apart from getting lucky with a coach and his staff for half a decade and a purple patch on the mendes carousel !!! A good coach will get a tune out 2nd rate players and i bet if you saw a table of managers salaries it wouldn’t be far off the actual league table be it whether they have a fantastic squad or not !!! In my opinion we have a better squad than performances suggest but i have little doubt that within 2/3 years we will fall by the wayside just like a host of clubs who have spent between 7-10 years in the top flight and gradually got complacent and declined rapidly …

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
A bit of balance needed. We’ve done well in some games and bad in others. Some we have just been average.

We have a mid table team with a middling manager and the results/table reflects that.

If we were holding up the relegation places l would agree that we are in trouble. We’re doing exactly as expected and there will be more bad results but a few surprises by the end of the season.

Knee jerk reactions are for when the doctor thinks there’s no response. The team are not there yet.

Get to the end of the season then re assess. We will be fine. It won’t be pretty but it will be OK
Pretty much how I feel. I respect everyone’s opinion (well most people) but to see people saying O’Neil out, he’s the new Saunders. I find that really really odd.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't it funny that British stiff upper lip is still a (self appointed) stereotype.

loppers86

Reaction score
i don’t think they have come off yet, but if they do then i have no
faith in GONs ability to change anything - there’s every likelihood we go into an uncontrollable tailspin. Let’s hope it’s this season where it probably won’t matter rather than next season when it will.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other than City, Spurs, Bournemouth away I think the performances all season been pretty uninspiring! Luton, Everton, Burnley, Forest, and today remarkably poor!

I mean to concede 3 away to a team around us in West Ham after they have played in Europe mid week too is unforgivable!

Do we back GON next summer? Do we put more time into him? He's not pulling any trees up for me, I feel he should be getting more from this squad.

Thoughts gents???
The answer to your question of have the wheels come off is NO

IOMWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Pretty much how I feel. I respect everyone’s opinion (well most people) but to see people saying O’Neil out, he’s the new Saunders. I find that really really odd.
Far too sensible a post for a number of posters on here

Bradstonian

Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that we'll stay up courtesy of the three promoted teams doing badly, I'll wager that we'll finish with plenty to spare, and to think otherwise is disrespectful and unnecessarily negative.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that we'll stay up courtesy of the three promoted teams doing badly, I'll wager that we'll finish with plenty to spare, and to think otherwise is disrespectful and unnecessarily negative.

27 is the current projected total…… it may even go lower.

This season staying up should be seen as a given and not a success….. they are so poor that there is no chance we go down

John Wolves Fan

Groupie
Reaction score
There were always going to be ups and downs in GON’s project and we just need to trust the process.

With the squad we have some people’s expectations might be unrealistic.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No point sacking O'Neil now. We will most certainly stay up, even if it may be a little close for comfort in the end. This is the insipid target set out for him by the board and he is fulfilling it. Also, two sets of compensation in four months would be clown shoes stuff even for us. If however, Nuno availed himself in the Summer (or maybe before) and the will was there from both parties to reconcile, I'd be lying if I said my heart wouldn't swell with that outcome. It's always been difficult to see GON as anything more than a stopgap, a rookie appointed on the cheap in a pinch. The thought of him being our coach for two or more seasons seems an alien one.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those relying on the bottom clubs 'saving us' from relegation, because they are so bad, I'd argue the following;

Sheffield Utd look particularly poor. They've won two all season. No guesses who one was against! But they've changed managers and I believe will get better.
Burnley beat SU 5-0 and narrowly lost against us, but for two Bentley saves. At the weekend they had a demoralising home defeat against Everton, but Everton are the league's form team. They'll improve, but not fast enough.
Luton are not too bad. Edwards is doing at Luton, what GON is not currently getting from Wolves and that's better results than they should. Luton got narrow defeats against Citeh and Arsenal, and are difficult to beat at Kennilworth. They may use the Lockyer incident to further galvanise the squad. Not nailed-on for relgation, imo.

The three worst teams on current form (over the last 6) are Forest, Palace and Brentford. Hopefully, their poor form continues, but Palace beat us, Forest held us to an uninspiring draw at Mol and we'll soon see how Brentford are against us.

Our direction of travel is downwards, certainly from a performance pov. The six teams that I've mentioned are currently worse than us on current form, but only just.
Interestingly, our current form over the last 6 games is the same as Citeh, Spuds and Chelski. Just goes to show that poor runs happen to all clubs, but GON needs to get more points on the board, pretty sharpish, otherwise we'll be in a proper relegation battle with 5 or 6 other clubs.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least Lopetegui got our players fired up for games. What we are watching now is utter **** going through the motions. Really frustrating to watch

Did he? I think that's been questionable long before Julen or GON.

Runs deep then whose in the dug out, poor recruitment, confusion of which direction to take in regards to profile of player and some odd buys have caught us up and lack of immediate upgrades.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
At least Lopetegui got our players fired up for games. What we are watching now is utter **** going through the motions. Really frustrating to watch
Not sure on that. Going through the motions describes a decent chunk of games under Lopetegui, especially towards the end. He did a great job to keep us up, but getting the players fired up would be nowhere near my list of good things he did.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've not really played well all season other than the games I've mentioned.
The games have been more entertaining this season than the last few, and the club’s ambitions have changed, just staying in this corrupt cartel of a competition will be viewed as success.

Back
Top Bottom