Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Red Carpet Technology GIF by E!

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Forget the rest of the article, he's a +4 handicap golfer! :oops:

Don't you just hate people that are good at everything :tearsofjoy:
The secret sauce with Gaz is it's hard to tell if he's good at these things because of natural physical talent or if it's a case where his talent is the mental makeup to drive himself to an unusual degree out of competitiveness.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The secret sauce with Gaz is it's hard to tell if he's good at these things because of natural physical talent or if it's a case where his talent is the mental makeup to drive himself to an unusual degree out of competitiveness.
At one point, he wanted to be good enough to play at The Open - he spent a lot of time practicing to get better and better. The article suggested it was his driven, competitive, nature that meant he was able to focus on achieving his targets.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At one point, he wanted to be good enough to play at The Open - he spent a lot of time practicing to get better and better. The article suggested it was his driven, competitive, nature that meant he was able to focus on achieving his targets.
I'm sure I read the other day he actually attempted to qualify

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Right, and I think he really leans into that.

At the same time, he's obviously still in good shape. He was a professional first-team footballer at 16....at a minimum he has unusually good endurance and balance, right?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
How do ? If you are plus 4 , you take 4 shots off your eventual score.
A scratch golfer posts the actual score they make
Or is that wrong ?
Me posting on golf is like a fish telling you how to ride a bike, but I think a +4 golfer is one who adds 4 to their score rather than a 4 handicap golfer. That or he wears those funny trousers.

Last edited:

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Me posting on golf is like a fish telling you how to ride a bike, but I think a +4 golfer is one who has 4 to their score rather than a 4 handicap golfer. That or he wears those funny trousers.
Exactly right. Scratch golfer = 0 handicap, which means you do not adjust your score; a +4 handicap means that you actually add strokes to your score, whereas a -4 handicap would get to subtract strokes from your gross score.

Really, the handicap is used to level the playing field vis-à-vis other players. So, if I'm a 10 handicap and I'm playing against a scratch golfer, then the other player would need to "give me" 10 strokes - one stroke on each of the 10 "hardest" holes on the course. Ol' Gazza would have to give me 14 strokes! Given his mentality, he would grind me to dust on the course I suspect...

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do ? If you are plus 4 , you take 4 shots off your eventual score.
A scratch golfer posts the actual score they make
Or is that wrong ?

My old junior captain at Droitwich many (many, many) years ago was a guy called John Bickerton. He was regarded as one of the best amateurs in the country when he turned pro - he was off +3 so had to give the course (opposition) 3 shots.
He went on to win several times on the European tour in the 90's including winning Euro666,000 for the French Open.
GON has a 1 shot better handicap (+4) than John did when he went onto the European Tour.
I would imagine he is in the top 20 handicaps in the country.
A normal (-)4 handicap is a decent handicap, but probably wouldn't even be in the top 10 in most good clubs.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly right. Scratch golfer = 0 handicap, which means you do not adjust your score; a +4 handicap means that you actually add strokes to your score, whereas a -4 handicap would get to subtract strokes from your gross score.

Really, the handicap is used to level the playing field vis-à-vis other players. So, if I'm a 10 handicap and I'm playing against a scratch golfer, then the other player would need to "give me" 10 strokes - one stroke on each of the 10 "hardest" holes on the course. Ol' Gazza would have to give me 14 strokes! Given his mentality, he would grind me to dust on the course I suspect...
If I was playing Paige Spiranac she could give me 14 strokes!

Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
As with most things in life, this could be a defining point, a new extended contract and it turns into a crushing failure, calls for the PE Teacher to go at a massive cost. Or we get a large payment and lament that we could have improved so much. Or we go from strength to strength.

I am thankful that by luck or good scouting (or in reality a mixture of the two) we have a good manager at the present owners who are not actively trying to destroy the club. The next ones who knows?

This season has been a lot more fun than I was expecting.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
As with most things in life, this could be a defining point, a new extended contract and it turns into a crushing failure, calls for the PE Teacher to go at a massive cost. Or we get a large payment and lament that we could have improved so much. Or we go from strength to strength.

I am thankful that by luck or good scouting (or in reality a mixture of the two) we have a good manager at the present owners who are not actively trying to destroy the club. The next ones who knows?

This season has been a lot more fun than I was expecting.
I do remember that a lot of supporters weren't happy around the time he got the job- I spent a lot of time in the Black Country last summer- but around the time I returned for a Christmas visit, people very pleased with him. This may come back to bite me, but honestly I think we've got to give him the deal. He's earned it I think. Surprised all of us.

Like you said, this could be a 'butterfly effect' moment for us. 100%. I'm going to be optimistic with it and say that I'd love for the manager to be fully backed in the market this summer as well.

Again, like you said, this season has been very fun and I'm going to choose to believe that Gary and the higher-ups at the club have a solid plan to keep it going. We seem to be creating something to build off of and I want to see if that can happen.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Athketic article about Gary's new contract and big demands? I don't subscribe, so can only see the headline.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone read the Athketic article about Gary's new contract and big demands? I don't subscribe, so can only see the headline.
I wouldn’t think he has particularly big demands, he’s currently one of the lowest paid coaches in the league (at a guess) and will want a contract that rewards his success. Much like players, if we don’t pay it someone else will.

Reaction score
Thanks I read it as a handicap of 4. I actually don't know anyone with a handicap better than scratch! Apart from Tiger of course ...
Pretty sure the lowest handicap ever worked out was tiger at +10 in his prime. I think I read somewhere recently if you took into account the difficulty of some of the majors courses he played to +12 in those. Madness really

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure the lowest handicap ever worked out was tiger at +10 in his prime. I think I read somewhere recently if you took into account the difficulty of some of the majors courses he played to +12 in those. Madness really

As an amateur he was off +8 at the time he turned pro.
It wouldn't surprise me if they worked out he would have been +10/12 at his prime.

There are quite a few pros that keep unofficial handicaps at their resident clubs, so that when they play none pro friends, they know how many shots to give.

I believe I'm right in saying that Ian Poulter never made it to scratch (0) as an amateur, he was off 3 or 4 at the time.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an amateur he was off +8 at the time he turned pro.
It wouldn't surprise me if they worked out he would have been +10/12 at his prime.

There are quite a few pros that keep unofficial handicaps at their resident clubs, so that when they play none pro friends, they know how many shots to give.

I believe I'm right in saying that Ian Poulter never made it to scratch (0) as an amateur, he was off 3 or 4 at the time.
I believe you can look to turn pro at 4 . I have a couple of mates who got close, but they would themselves admit their all round game was nowhere near.

Last edited:

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think he has particularly big demands, he’s currently one of the lowest paid coaches in the league (at a guess) and will want a contract that rewards his success. Much like players, if we don’t pay it someone else will.
I agree, I'm just wondering what the article is suggesting and know some on here subscribe

Back
Top Bottom