Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs is vastly overrated by our fans, and I do understand why. I praised him for his transfer dealings, although some of that is overhyped due to the failure to get a striker.

Anyway, point is, he was the one who pushed for Beale.

Read this: The Bear Pit

That's what Hobbs wanted. They just lost a game where Celtic had their 4th and 5th choice CBs, at best. They were at home with 50,000 fans, no away fans. And Hobbs wanted this guy as our manager.
Watched that game and thought about that. Rangers looked clueless. No plan at all. Celtic had a clear pattern and plan.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how was that going to happen?

We took off a forward for a more defensive break up the play midfielder who is prone to a lunging tackle against a team who were throwing themselves to the deck….

He gave away the foul I think from a situation where he made a challenge he didn’t need to make.

The best sub was Sasa for silva, that was the best attacking substitution to be made.

GO made that sub to hold off for a draw, there was zero attacking thought in it.

To be honest I had him down as an erratic ball carrying attacking centre midfielder. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably not though.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If it's me now, I am switching to 5 at the back and going direct.

Team - Sa-Santi-Dawson-Kilman-Doherty-Gomes-Lemina-RAN-Cunha-Sasa-Neto

Bench - Bentley, Semedo, Toti, Bueno, Boubacar, Doyle, Hwang, Fabio, Sarabia

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
I’m no body language expert but that team and that performance today screamed of a team that have no confidence in what the manager is telling them to do. Imagine being international players who were coached in a way that saw them outplay Rennes and then Man United to then have all that sucked out of them to play this dross, long cross field hopeful ball football with little to no movement cuz heaven forbid they should be out of position! Potter now! He’s a Midlands boy so will have a good knowledge of Wolves…pay him what he wants and let him work his magic!

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
No but at least he tried to be proactive I suppose
It wasn’t though that’s my point…it was negative and showed zero ambition to go for the win. Every time we try and sit back we get punished and did again today. He should have dragged Cunha off who was awful and gone Fabio and Sasa up top when we had the impetus. I wanted to give him a chance but the downturn in performances since United is terrifying.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's me now, I am switching to 5 at the back and going direct.

Team - Sa-Santi-Dawson-Kilman-Doherty-Gomes-Lemina-RAN-Cunha-Sasa-Neto

Bench - Bentley, Semedo, Toti, Bueno, Boubacar, Doyle, Hwang, Fabio, Sarabia
I'm in favour of this. We need to keep tight at the back and also all our wingbacks are better in attack than defending.

You could also have Bellegarde and Cunha behind Sasa or a 352 with Bellegarde in midfield but freedom make those runs with the ball.
Having said that Neto was decent today.

Will Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The next international break is mid October before then we play;

Liverpool H
Luton A
Man City H
Villa H

How many points from those?

Andi130

Reaction score
Hobbs is vastly overrated by our fans, and I do understand why. I praised him for his transfer dealings, although some of that is overhyped due to the failure to get a striker.

Anyway, point is, he was the one who pushed for Beale.

Read this: The Bear Pit

That's what Hobbs wanted. They just lost a game where Celtic had their 4th and 5th choice CBs, at best. They were at home with 50,000 fans, no away fans. And Hobbs wanted this guy as our manager.
I've said this a number of times on here.

IMO Hobbs has made 2 solid signings during his tenure who you could argue have delivered. Lemina and Dawson. That's it. The rest could come good, no doubt, but this spiel of Sir Hobbs is far too early.

On the manager front, Beale was a Hobbs pick, as is GON. Both poor, inexperienced, excuses for managers. Neither one of them should be even close to managing at the top level. And neither should have ever been mentioned in the same breath as a Wolves vacancy.

Hobbs obviously has an ideal Wolves setup in his mind. No criticism that he's got a plan, more a criticism that I highly suspect it won't work. He's never been a DOF previously and the jury us out as to his ability be a decent one. If his managerial preferences are anything to go by though, I suspect he wont be.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What game was he watching? Could have been 2 down in the first half with the penalty decision going our way and Kilman clearing one off the line. Don't even need to talk about the abysmal second half.
He was right about lacking punch. :tearsofjoy:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could already be pretty much down by then.
Yup, he is causing damage everyday he is in post.

You can see the impact his negative coaching is having on j.Gomes

He was given a fantastic handover by JL and he has absolutely fumbled the bag!

Anyone who actually understands football knew this was a bad appointment and he hasn’t done anything to prove us anything else but correct…..

United was all down to JL, not enough time to make changes by GO, but he tried his best to take some credit though didn’t he…..

Then it has fallen off a cliff ever since.

Yes we won in the week, but it was against a league one side that made 8 changes….. so wasn’t even their best team.

He needs to go ASAP

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got a feeling we might ride it out with him in the hope he comes good. I think a manager deserves at least 10 games, but I'll admit that the more I see the more sceptical I'm getting about his ability.
Sometimes it is clear as day it isn’t going to work, this is one of those where that is the case.

The longer he stays the harder the job for the next manager.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry is also the players losing confidence in him. When you've no pedigree to back your ideas up, players needs to see your ideas work fast to be on board with what you try to do.
What is he going to say if this continues? "Keep going lads. I know from my long career as a manager that things will work our if you just do what I say.."
What do you mean "losing'.... Do you imagine that our international players saw JL being replaced by GON as anything positive?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes it is clear as day it isn’t going to work, this is one of those where that is the case.

The longer he stays the harder the job for the next manager.
Who’s going to come after the way they treated Lopetegui?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who’s going to come after the way they treated Lopetegui?
Dean smith was the far better appointment!

Christ…. Even Frank lampard might have been a better appointment, who thought that might be possible!!!!

This guy was a nothing player, he is showing that is as much of a low level jobber as a coach as he was a player

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m no body language expert but that team and that performance today screamed of a team that have no confidence in what the manager is telling them to do. Imagine being international players who were coached in a way that saw them outplay Rennes and then Man United to then have all that sucked out of them to play this dross, long cross field hopeful ball football with little to no movement cuz heaven forbid they should be out of position! Potter now! He’s a Midlands boy so will have a good knowledge of Wolves…pay him what he wants and let him work his magic!
I didn't see a lot of difference to the way these same players have performed, on and off, for the last three managers. I can't imagine he is telling them to do anything different either. He hasn't improved much, but no worse than many performances under JL, BL or even the saintly Nuno in his last 12 months. They did try and dominated the game for large portions, which is better than some of the abject surrenders we have had on occasions under all three previous managers.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't see a lot of difference to the way these same players have performed, on and off, for the last three managers. I can't imagine he is telling them to do anything different either. He hasn't improved much, but no worse than many performances under JL, BL or even the saintly Nuno in his last 12 months. They did try and dominated the game for large portions, which is better than some of the abject surrenders we have had on occasions under all three previous managers.
The levels in pre-season and the way we set up for United showed we were about to turn a corner.

Jeff has destroyed a two time 7th place quality team!!!! It was easier to maintain a 10th to 7th place than to do what he has done!

We were one or two additions a season from maintaining or kicking on, his lack of knowledge allowed mendes to destroy the club by pushing over priced players who aren’t good enough for the prem.

Back
Top Bottom