Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Anyone else really like how GON comes across in interviews and press conferences? Perhaps it's because we have a manager with English being their native language, but I think he is very good at the media stuff.
Seems very calm. He’s not quite Bruno Lage level of open where he’d pretty much give out the line-up and tactics pre-game. But he seems happy to chat and tells it how he sees it.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Anyone else really like how GON comes across in interviews and press conferences? Perhaps it's because we have a manager with English being their native language, but I think he is very good at the media stuff.
We have some body language experts who disagree, but I think he comes across well. Three general impressions: 1. Intelligent 2. Hard-worker 3. Grounded

I just like him, personally. Think he's a good young manager who will do good things with this club.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We have some body language experts who disagree, but I think he comes across well. Three general impressions: 1. Intelligent 2. Hard-worker 3. Grounded

I just like him, personally. Think he's a good young manager who will do good things with this club.
And also he’s the kind of manager you want to do well. Obviously we want all Wolves managers to do well but he seems very personable and humble.

Reaction score
I quite agree, i pointed this out before and was slated by a few as being zenophobic

Far too many on here giving seriously negative vibes on Gary from day 1. At least a fair few are modifying their views after seeing and hearing positive stuff.

He will be sacked at some stage,they all are but give him time i think he is going to be better than expected.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I don't really agree, I think some of the stuff he said after Man U and Brighton was ridiculous. Still on the plus side I don't really care, as long as we win I'm fine with someone who talks rubbish. Most of them do as they don't want to be there and know that the more they say, the more likely they are to give something away or upset someone, a news conference is pretty much a no win for a manager.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really agree, I think some of the stuff he said after Man U and Brighton was ridiculous. Still on the plus side I don't really care, as long as we win I'm fine with someone who talks rubbish. Most of them do as they don't want to be there and know that the more they say, the more likely they are to give something away or upset someone, a news conference is pretty much a no win for a manager.

What did he say after United that was ridiculous?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems very calm. He’s not quite Bruno Lage level of open where he’d pretty much give out the line-up and tactics pre-game. But he seems happy to chat and tells it how he sees it.
I couldn't decipher what Bruno was saying. It was just a bunch of random words to me!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What did he say after United that was ridiculous?
I might be confusing pressers, but at some point he said (paraphrasing) when you get a job you always have problems because there are reasons why the last guy was sacked.

Like I said though, they all divert attention away from blame on individual players and that sort of stuff, blame the ref, injuries, the ball, anything, they all do it, it's not a problem.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't decipher what Bruno was saying. It was just a bunch of random words to me!
I felt the same, it was like he was stringing a bunch of clichés together, "line of 5", "line of 4" etc.
I must say I liked Nuno's press conferences, he did get irritated with some of the reporters questions, but basically it often mirrored my own irritations.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's such a unit (while still having some good technique) that I fancy him to bundle a few in.

I think a lot of his movement has been pretty good too.
To be honest Sasa is a bloody good striker and if he didn't have such a bloody awful injury record he'd probably be at a top club now. Let's hope that he doesn't break again.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt the same, it was like he was stringing a bunch of clichés together, "line of 5", "line of 4" etc.
I must say I liked Nuno's press conferences, he did get irritated with some of the reporters questions, but basically it often mirrored my own irritations.
Nuno was great up to a point. When he kept going on about "solutions" it got a bit tedious. Also if ever asked about another team, he'd always say "good team, good players".

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno was great up to a point. When he kept going on about "solutions" it got a bit tedious. Also if ever asked about another team, he'd always say "good team, good players".
"Solutions" was Nuno's coded language for "I can't bring anyone else in!".....

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Palace presser video...

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no clue or idea with regard to our purpose in possession, we just knock the ball around at a ridiculously slow tempo. Little penetration, no forwards to aim for in the box, what's the point?

martin120863

Reaction score
O’neil got the team and the tactics badly wrong.

Picking Sarabia alone is grounds for dismissal in opinion.

It certainly hasn’t taken long for O’neil’s influence to show.

Get him out!

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Feels very much like a Lage beginning to the season and you’ve got to question whether these players want to play for GON they look disinterested to me.

The intensity, fitness and movement we saw against Rennes and Yanited seem a dim distant memory.

To not get in a striker given our lack of goals is absolutely criminal.

No mid season World Cup break and doubt we could get a top manager to come in this season to bail us out.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs, and I'm guessing Shi, clearly wanted a yes man that would not rock the boat when the club sold off its best players and replaced them with unproven talent from abroad.
I said this on the coms thread.

Jeff is a text book narcissist, he doesn’t like anyone who can threaten his control or show he could be wrong.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said this on the coms thread.

Jeff is a text book narcissist, he doesn’t like anyone who can threaten his control or show he could be wrong.

****ing hell no wonder he raises ticket prices, he must hate the fans

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Down in Bournemouth for weekend and all local fans here I bump into ask if we’re happy with GON. I grunt something and they say it was the right time for him to leave Bournemouth and wish him well. Nothing negative but equally very little positive despite him keeping them up.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The interesting thing about GON is that his tactics are so inept that it confuses opposition managers enough to fluke the occasional win. Imagine being a world class manager with your back room staff setting up against something that doesn’t even resemble football, it must be a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom