Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. This team has had plenty of time together, yet we look clueless in possession and fall apart under a half-decent press.

The fact we look so bad is down to coaching, or lack of it. We have no identity. Players look worried and frustrated. They don't know what to do. If he hasn't lost the dressing room yet he will soon.
I don’t think he ever gained the dressing room, to be honest.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve really tried to stay onside and remain positive about his appointment but I‘ve reached the Hoddle/Saunders stage where I can’t watch or listen to any of his pre/post match interviews. Such uninspiring, so miserable when he continually shrugs his extra small shoulders whilst looking at the floor, full of excuses drivel. All that is left for him now is he needs to come out with an ‘eye of the tiger’ type BS cliche to be full on Saunders.
The job is too big for him.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve really tried to stay onside and remain positive about his appointment but I‘ve reached the Hoddle/Saunders stage where I can’t watch or listen to any of his pre/post match interviews. Such uninspiring, so miserable when he continually shrugs his extra small shoulders whilst looking at the floor, full of excuses drivel. All that is left for him now is he needs to come out with an ‘eye of the tiger’ type BS cliche to be full on Saunders.
The job is too big for him.
Yeah he’s reached Saunders levels for me too.

T

TheConcourse

His post match comments are absurd. He's confected a false narrative where the team were in free fall when he arrived so nothing is his fault. He needs to be removed before he does any more damage,
This. 100%.

He’s making out like things were a disaster on the pitch. We were actually, for the first time in 3 years, seeing some really positive signs.

This chap is genuinely worse than Davis. At best he’s on par.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. 100%.

He’s making out like things were a disaster on the pitch. We were actually, for the first time in 3 years, seeing some really positive signs.

This chap is genuinely worse than Davis. At best he’s on par.
He's not on par. Davis wasn't right for the job but at least he was positive and came across well. Davis had to fill in and try and get some confidence back. GON came in to a well organised team after what looked a really good preseason for fitness and organisation then systematically dismantled absolutely everything.

Then said - the opposite.

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
Anyone on here heard any whispers? Surely conversations would be happening behind the scenes, either backing GON or that his days are numbered

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is a significant level of BS in those responses. I know, I have to write it on a regular basis.

He's explicity saying he should be taking responsibility while explicity claiming he's not had long enough to be responsible.

I didn't and still don't think he was the right choice but I'm always prepared to give everyone a chance.

I'm usually one to give more time to people to sort their lives out, probably too much than is necessary, and I'm certainly not one for knee-jerk reactions. Even I'm getting seriously concerned about how this is going to go and I wouldn't be against making an early call here if we can get someone in worth having.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to know what wrongs he's trying to right.

He's a clown. Talks more **** in the press than even Saunders did.
Well, part of it isn’t a lie. There are things wrong at the club.
However, they’re at the level above him, including the decision to hire him.
They’re not things you can fix with your whistle Gary.
Instead, your brand of fixing, is taking the team that went through pre-season unbeaten, looked the fittest they’d probably ever been, ran Yanited off their own pitch and actually statistically deserved to win…to this.
That’s what you’re fixing?

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
loads of good managers out of work. ALL better than GON

I wouldn't have wanted Rodgers, or AVB but they look great compared to where we are now:

Marcelo Gallardo
Andre Villas-Boas
Rafael Benitez
Graham Potter
Brendan Rodgers

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are in such a predicament, it's still too early to sack him (and I do want to see how we play at home against teams at our level) yet not too early to start sniffing out a replacement which means the sacking isn't too far away.....terrible place to be in.

He's just the wrong guy for the job, not convinced there are many "right" guys for the hole we have once again dug for ourselves.
You must be joking he should never have been here, the sooner he is gone the better

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My cousin is female ex p.e. Teacher she is 69 but I reckon she could do a better job than this moaning useless ****

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
THE NAME OF THE GAME IS SHIFTING THE BLAME.....

"I can guarantee you, when I arrived the place was not running perfectly and ready to go into a Premier League season. There are a lot of things that need fixing.
"I sit here and answer the questions and I'm willing to take responsibility, but the facts are you need some time to put things in place.

When asked what needs fixing at the club, O'Neil added: "When I arrived, the culture of the club needed a shift.

"Some of it needed to move into more togetherness and the way they went about things was very individual-focused and there wasn't a lot of structure to what they did.
"There's a big list of things that need fixing. I understand it's my responsibility.
"People will say 'oh they did fine last year', but the truth is they got 41 points last year and we made an £80million profit on players in the summer. We're £80million short of where we were last year.

Some facts: We beat Rennes 3-1 and were robbed by the officials at United after playing them off the park. That was JL's team. And he got 31 points from 23 games after the World Cup.

Talk about re-writing history, eh? What do you take us for Gary? Fools?

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"I can guarantee you, when I arrived the place was not running perfectly and ready to go into a Premier League season. There are a lot of things that need fixing.
"I sit here and answer the questions and I'm willing to take responsibility, but the facts are you need some time to put things in place.

When asked what needs fixing at the club, O'Neil added: "When I arrived, the culture of the club needed a shift.

"Some of it needed to move into more togetherness and the way they went about things was very individual-focused and there wasn't a lot of structure to what they did.
"There's a big list of things that need fixing. I understand it's my responsibility.
"People will say 'oh they did fine last year', but the truth is they got 41 points last year and we made an £80million profit on players in the summer. We're £80million short of where we were last year.
Shoulders like a classic coke bottle.....

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Some facts: We beat Rennes 3-1 and were robbed by the officials at United after playing them off the park. That was JL's team. And he got 31 points from 23 games after the World Cup.

Talk about re-writing history, eh? What do you take us for Gary? Fools?
It's some serious waffle. Now things may not be as he likes them but to suggest ot needed changing is disingenuous. What stuff is he referring to that lacked structure? Unless the players were literally wondering round the training ground asking where the balls were and asking "what we doing today then guv?" there must have been some structure in place.

I'm not buying the togetherness/individual-focussed nonsense. No coach is going to operate like that in a team/squad environment, that's just rubbish.

So there's a big list of things that need fixing are there? Like what, and how do you propose to fix them? I've got time.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
It's some serious waffle. Now things may not be as he likes them but to suggest ot needed changing is disingenuous. What stuff is he referring to that lacked structure? Unless the players were literally wondering round the training ground asking where the balls were and asking "what we doing today then guv?" there must have been some structure in place.

I'm not buying the togetherness/individual-focussed nonsense. No coach is going to operate like that in a team/squad environment, that's just rubbish.

So there's a big list of things that need fixing are there? Like what, and how do you propose to fix them? I've got time.
He continually refers to the players as ‘they’ and also whenever he refers to my club before he graced us with his presence. If he can’t use terms like ‘my players’ or ‘our club’ (something which Nuno understood very well) then he needs to be fired asap.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the Villa game is the tipping point, either he will prove he is the man for the job and we play well etc...get stuffed and its his swan song i feel

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
On the stream last night he seemed to spend most of the game on the bench mumbling to the side at his assistant’s right knee, rather than watching the match.

He looked like he was asking Jenkins ‘any ideas?’ and that the assistant was the guy actually calling the shots.

T

TheConcourse

He's not on par. Davis wasn't right for the job but at least he was positive and came across well. Davis had to fill in and try and get some confidence back. GON came in to a well organised team after what looked a really good preseason for fitness and organisation then systematically dismantled absolutely everything.

Fair points.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s all open to interpretation but his post match comments are silly and can easily be construed as him blaming the players and the previous regime. It’s not going to help things, he needed to come here and be more humble and realistic. I must admit I liked how bullish he was when he arrived, he seemed up for the job and confident in his abilities, but I think I also said that it has the danger of turning in to David Brent comments if things don’t go right.

Frankly I want him to succeed as the name calling and general hatred is a little OTT for my liking but, **** me, he is making a rod for his own back and giving ammunition to everybody with what comes out his mouth.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was actually the Steve Davis appointment that made me have a greater understanding of the levels between managers.

I had no issue with Lage leaving, I don't think many did.

Yet, under him, we were always competitive. Look back at the results from the year he did leave.

8 games, 1 win, 3 draws, four defeats.

Very poor. Yet, one defeat was by more than two goals - Man City at home, when we had ten men for 70 minutes.
We played well, and lost, at Spurs.
We drew to Newcastle.

Again, he should have gone, but the side was competitive. In those 8 games, we conceded 9 goals, three of which came against City.

Steve Davis comes in, and the same team conceded 13 in 6 games, with an easier fixture list.

Lopetegui is appointed, and we stay up almost entirely because we keep clean sheets and win low-scoring games at home.

This is the same team, but it's so different?

There are levels to this, and as a coach O'Neil is closer to Steve Davis than Bruno Lage - and Lage wasn't good enough. Davis' last job was in the Conference.

Time will tell, but I don't even think O'Neil will cut it as a Championship manager, I really don't.

This team is exactly like the Steve Davis side. There's no pressing structure, there's no organisation. There's no plan on the whole.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was actually the Steve Davis appointment that made me have a greater understanding of the levels between managers.

Yet, under him, we were always competitive. Look back at the results from the year he did leave.

Very poor. Yet, one defeat was by more than two goals - Man City at home, when we had ten men for 70 minutes.
We drew to Newcastle.

Again, he should have gone, but the side was competitive. In those 8 games, we conceded 9 goals, three of which came against City.

Steve Davis comes in, and the same team conceded 13 in 6 games, with an easier fixture list.

Lopetegui is appointed, and we stay up almost entirely because we keep clean sheets and win low-scoring games at home.

There are levels to this, and as a coach O'Neil is closer to Steve Davis than Bruno Lage - and Lage wasn't good enough. Davis' last job was in the Conference.

Time will tell, but I don't even think O'Neil will cut it as a Championship manager, I really don't.

This team is exactly like the Steve Davis side. There's no pressing structure, there's no organisation. There's no plan on the whole.
We look like we are being managed by a caretaker, which is effectively GON's experience level. I just think its incredible that a billionaire investment group would base our entire future on GON being decent, and a few last minute signings that were low down on Matt Hobbs budget list improving us. They deserve relegation.

Last edited:

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be fair to Davis, it was a caretaker position and in any remotely competent club it would have been a game, maybe a midweek one as well at most.

He also had no aspirations of management and no doubt stepped in because the club asked him to.

So while Davis obviously lacks the skills, it was someone put in that position through no fault of his own. GON on the other hand applied for the job. It might not be his fault that the idiots in charge decided to not laugh and immediately throw the application in the shredder, but he still signed up for the job.

Davis was a very temporary appointment which was far longer than it should have been due to other people's incompetence. GON is someone playing at being a football manager, and must surely go down as one of the most inexplicable hirings in PL history.

Hiring GON makes England hiring Terry O'Connor in a FM save I once had look sane.

(Seriously, that last one really did happen. I have no idea how either.)

Last edited:

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We drew to Newcastle.

Great post, spot on.

GON looks utterly clueless, just as a tactician/coach. He's done absolutely nothing to land, somehow, two PL jobs already. Just absolutely miles out of his depth with no redeeming features.

Will Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

I wouldn't have wanted Rodgers, or AVB but they look great compared to where we are now:

Marcelo Gallardo
Andre Villas-Boas
Rafael Benitez
Graham Potter
Brendan Rodgers
Gallardo is looking for a European project but has said he isn’t rushing into it, would be brilliant if we could get him but can see him ending up at a champions league club.

I would go for Oliver Glasner, won the Europa league with E Frankfurt a couple of seasons ago, good record with Wolfsburg too. Currently out of work. Was touted as Germany manager but can’t see him waiting around until after the 24 euros.

Oliver Glasner - Manager profile

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s all open to interpretation but his post match comments are silly and can easily be construed as him blaming the players and the previous regime. It’s not going to help things, he needed to come here and be more humble and realistic. I must admit I liked how bullish he was when he arrived, he seemed up for the job and confident in his abilities, but I think I also said that it has the danger of turning in to David Brent comments if things don’t go right.

Frankly I want him to succeed as the name calling and general hatred is a little OTT for my liking but, **** me, he is making a rod for his own back and giving ammunition to everybody with what comes out his mouth.
I agree on the name calling and hatred.
I now want him gone, but won't resort to making it personal.
I have however referred to him as deluded, due to his post-match ramblings and blaming of all and sundry and taking zero responsibility himself.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His body language looks terrible from that interview.

I never loved Lopetegui (didn’t want him to go mind) but he was a proper alpha male* it seemed. Big, dominant character, you could see from the way he walked round meeting the players in his first video, that he was an imposing character. Dare I say it, what we’d been needing since Nuno?

Now we have what looks like a timid, supply teacher, somewhat similar to Lage (who I’d have back in a heartbeat over O’Neil).

*I don’t particularly like the term ‘alpha male’ and believe masculinity/ strength can be shown in many more ways than just being big and loud. But with this set of players my gut feel is we need someone they fear and respect.

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score

Marcelo Gallardo
Andre Villas-Boas
Rafael Benitez
Graham Potter
Brendan Rodgers
Rodgers returned to Celtic in June and pretty sure AVB has retired from management

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree on the name calling and hatred.
I now want him gone, but won't resort to making it personal.
I have however referred to him as deluded, due to his post-match ramblings and blaming of all and sundry and taking zero responsibility himself.
This is nearly where I’m at too. I’m still on the side of wanting him to suddenly click us in to gear and be a success but I am 100% teetering.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't have any confidence at all that the people in charge at the moment (Shi, GON and his team) will be able to find the answers we so desperately need to find.

All we gain by giving them time, is a deeper hole to attempt to crawl out of.

Shi needs to go before GON, because the next managerial appointment needs to be made by someone capable of making good decisions.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bull**** GON, you played agin a club in good form but the side you played was a reserve team. ****e talking muppet.

See, I don't think he's stupid (his smarts were touted in the media when he arrived), so I can only see this as obvious spin. Ipswich made 10 changes, so his boys were not up against a side in a "good vein of form" at all. Like his own selection, it comprised players who were not match fit and hadn't played together often. It's just our starting XI cost ~£73m and theirs' cost ~£4m (only four of whom commanded a transfer fee at all). It's simply not good enough and there are no valid excuses for GON to make.

Back
Top Bottom