Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't outright write him off I don't think but before I give myself too much credit I definitely wasn't excited by the appointment. I thought he did a good job keeping Bournemouth up and always believed any decent coach could keep our squad up but no way did I dream of this or expect to actually enjoy watching us again. My heart did sink when he was appointed as I thought the football would be a chore to watch after watching Bournemouth last seasonxbut happily it seems to be more to do with the poor squad he had there and he can work well with higher quality players.

stevev53

Reaction score
I voted yes from the beginning because I felt any manager deserved our support until he proved a failure. There are too many supporters on here who should be ashamed for not giving the guy time to prove himself .
More importantly than the supporters the players love him and that’s priceless.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted yes from the beginning because I felt any manager deserved our support until he proved a failure. There are too many supporters on here who should be ashamed for not giving the guy time to prove himself .
More importantly than the supporters the players love him and that’s priceless.
The question was asked before he was appointed on 8th August . He was appointed on 9th by then almost 600 comments had been made .

Coffs Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It's great this thread has been revived.
I'll be reading a page a day from the start as the comments are so hilarious.
May not have voted NO as I was in such despair over the "El Cheapo" appointment as I saw it.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no but I didn't comment on this thread - which I cant quite believe but I am now very thankful for.
I wasn't happy at the time I remember, I can only think - dont comment until hes had a chance which might do me well to pay heed to going forward (Bellgarde).

Some of the comments though are pretty funny: “this man has no tactics” and “The players wont respect or play for him”.
I am not picking anyone and the same things probably crossed my mind - how wrong were we?

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
90.4% of votes on this poll were against him being head coach. Think that would be a little lower now lol

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments when the bloke hadn't been in the job two weeks are unbelievable

From the same names you see shamelessly praising GON now
They’re not really unbelievable though, are they? The reaction would’ve been the same anywhere. He was a total novice who’d just been sacked by Bournemouth. Think back to the position we were in at the time, we’d just had a fire sale and lost the former Madrid and Spain manager on the eve of the new season, it’s understandable people were a bit miffed.

And shamelessly praising him? He’s done a bloody brilliant job, beyond anyone’s expectations so shock horror, people are really happy about it and him. That is football!

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
I'll hold my hands up and fully admit I didn't want him, based on Fosuns actions during the summer it was looking like we were preparing for a relegation battle and pulling out of ownership.

I was bitterly disappointed we had pursued a manager for years only to finally get him and change the rules so much he walked away.

Well my reaction was definitely clouded by that and also not knowing anything about him. GON has therefore started from very low expectations from me but he has certainly more than surpassed anything I could have expected off him.

He's been a breathe of fresh air and whilst I have struggled to get to watch them this season it has been amazing to see this group of players come together. So yes I'll take my internet humble pie and enjoy eating it, let's face it being wrong about someone turning out to be a success is hardly the bitterest pill to swallow!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’re not really unbelievable though, are they? The reaction would’ve been the same anywhere. He was a total novice who’d just been sacked by Bournemouth. Think back to the position we were in at the time, we’d just had a fire sale and lost the former Madrid and Spain manager on the eve of the new season, it’s understandable people were a bit miffed.

And shamelessly praising him? He’s done a bloody brilliant job, beyond anyone’s expectations so shock horror, people are really happy about it and him. That is football!
From a chap who wanted us to lose games to get GON out

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a chap who wanted us to lose games to get GON out
I thought he would be an absolute disaster - I was wrong, very wrong, clearly! That’s football and I am delighted that my comments look so stupid. If dragging up old comments makes you feel better about yourself keep patting yourself on the back for having faith that he’d do a good job. You had more foresight than over 90% of the folks on here, so well done you.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I was unhappy with the appointment, although it was also very much a reflection of general frustration, following how things ended with Nuno, the disaster of Lage and a number of poor decisions from our management team/board (eg failure to address the Jimenez-sized hole in the squad). From renewed hope after survival under Lopetegui and early pre-season promise, to suddenly ending up managerless with days to go, losing some of our big name players, and then appointing someone who'd only managed 6 months at Bournemouth.

Just seemed like everything was going in one direction - downwards. Obviously, in hindsight the direction has been the opposite - upwards!

I couldn't be happier that my initial fears have been proven entirely wrong and so chuffed about what GON, and this small group of players, is doing at our club.

My only fear now is that GON is too good for us and will get fed up working with a paper-thin squad (well, it's probably beyond paper-thin, now Neto and Bellegarde are injured)...

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
He's definitely changed my opinion. After the first 5/6 games of the season I thought we'd got another Saunders. Very happy to be wrong on this occasion. For the first time in about 4 years we've got a team to be be proud of again.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extraordinary that now we all worry that a lack of Wolves ambition might mean we lose him and he will aim for a top six club.

He deserves every plaudit going and has been a revelation. More concerned about Fosun these days and whether they will fail to back GON this summer. Hobbs's comments are not encouraging on that front.

Madmalc

Reaction score
GON seems to thrive in adversity, thankfully it's a mentality our squad of players have picked up on.
With the machinations of the Premier League implementing FFP and PSR, nearly all clubs will face the problems of off loading surplus players to get their costs down. (Reducing their squad strength).
It will be interesting to see how many other managers/coaches thrive without the bottomless pit of expensive player acquisitions.
JLo decided he couldn't, GON knew he could.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Self praise bit like self love, and people who practice that are called……

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't outright write him off I don't think but before I give myself too much credit I definitely wasn't excited by the appointment. I thought he did a good job keeping Bournemouth up and always believed any decent coach could keep our squad up but no way did I dream of this or expect to actually enjoy watching us again. My heart did sink when he was appointed as I thought the football would be a chore to watch after watching Bournemouth last seasonxbut happily it seems to be more to do with the poor squad he had there and he can work well with higher quality players.
Well I did I was neigh on suicidal end of the world as we know it
Aye it great to be wrong

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time to post this again

Screenshot_20240219_154630_Chrome.jpg

202 people were happy with the potential appointment of Michael Beale, I'd hazard a guess that most of the 72 who were happy with O'Neil were also excited about that fraud of a manager coming in. I voted no for O'Neil because I felt we should be bringing in at least a half proven head coach, not someone with thirty odd games and a sacking as his managerial CV. In saying that, we don't see the presentations, the interviews and we don't see how they plan to go about things, we just see results and performances on the pitch. And fortunately, O'Neil has done a great job up to now

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been a Wolves fan for almost 40 years and I don't remember seeing any of the most baffling appointments turn out to be masterstrokes..
So when I looked at O'Neil I thought "Oh no here we go again...'

I mean Lambert had kept a team in the PL too. And Saunders had managed more games. Zenga had even won things..
And all 3 of them I wouldn't to be our manager ever again..

It was such an underwhelming appointment..

But dear me weren't I and lots of us wrong..

Never ever did I expect to see the miracle, the revival and the top manager breakthrough we've seen take place in front of our eyes.

But boy am I happy to be proven completely wrong.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No problem with folk being concerned when Gaz got the job, but the the amount on here who weren’t prepared to give him a chance was ****ing embarrassing and the ones who went out there way to belittle him were even worse.

To be fair, from the first game at Old Trafford the fans in the ground have got behind him.

To be honest the job he’s done is absolutely superb. The second half yesterday probably his finest moment yet. We’re lucky to have him.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Time to post this again

View attachment 41057

202 people were happy with the potential appointment of Michael Beale, I'd hazard a guess that most of the 72 who were happy with O'Neil were also excited about that fraud of a manager coming in. I voted no for O'Neil because I felt we should be bringing in at least a half proven head coach, not someone with thirty odd games and a sacking as his managerial CV. In saying that, we don't see the presentations, the interviews and we don't see how they plan to go about things, we just see results and performances on the pitch. And fortunately, O'Neil has done a great job up to now
Exactly this really. Being disappointed/underwhelmed at O’Neil getting the job was understandable, even Gary’s admitted that. Lovely to be proven wrong in a positive way, but we shouldn’t be using hindsight to score points.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
I love being proven wrong with managerial appointments. Admittedly, I was in the "going down now then" group when he got the job. And I know some of you will have seen how I feel about him now. What a change.

I haven't been around nearly as long as most of the members on here, but he is on his way to becoming one of the best Wolves managers I've seen.

Rowzed

Reaction score
We should have badges made up: I was one of the original faithful 47/62/...
Well counting down from the top I’m 28,

so João Moutinho, Rohan Rickets, George Friend, Sylvain Deslandes (who?) or Leigh Griffiths.

Moutinho will do

Back
Top Bottom