Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's over-promoted, standard FA coached, ex-player averageness.

The type that should be at Lg2 level to prove himself, not a PL club.

I think after his season at Bournemouth, most would have expected him to get a new job with a Championship level club. Had he not already successfully managed and kept Bournemouth up, then maybe his next/first job would have been lower.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is a results based industry . He needs a win and quickly in the League as the longer it goes the confidence will drop . Then our players will be thinking January window get me a move quickly .

Huge game away at Everton on Saturday . As most on here would say Everton are probably in the top 5 teams to be a possible for going down .

So it doesn't matter front foot or back foot . Like Dyche did last season with Everton getting results and we need a result .

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With regards to that shambles at the Amex, I was extremely disappointed with both coaching staff and players when we lost 6-0 but it smacked of end of season stuff as by then we were safe from the drop (I'm not making an excuses but merely stating fact).

That game last Saturday was early in Gary O'Neil's tenure and for that reason alone I've cut the guy some slack, however what was concerning was the dis-spirited way that we competed in the second half.

I'm not an axe man seeking for Mr O'Neil's neck, far from it, but your comaparison of games above should be kept in perspective.
My personal preference between the two coaches would be JL, but that's history now and we move on
Stop with this sensible balance!

Totally agree with you. I keep saying it's not the loss or the scoreline, it was the situation. Some seem obsessed with ignoring that. It's also not just about GON - he doesn't have a full team around him and he was airdropped in. His choice but hardly a good way to judge a manager.

Hopefully we keep things simple from now onwards and focus on the basics. We played plenty of good stuff but can't go out and all out attack teams like brighton as we did or have whatever happened at HT happen again.

Everton and palace will show us how he adapts.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Evidence of this style he wants to put forward completely different to last year when we barely had any forward runners

Its a good article and if that style is successfully implemented it will ne great to watch.
My worry is the amount of high intensity runs our midfielders needs to do to recover the ball as we only have Hodge and Boubacar as backup midfielders. Also it could be quite vulnerable with our defence.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look again at my comments on GON. I have said that l didn't want him, I don't really rate him, but none of this is his fault and l will support him while he is Wolves manager. That doesn't mean that he's above criticism though.
Well he applied for the job, interviewed and accepted it.

So him being in this situation is partially his own fault as he wasn’t kidnapped and told to do the job or something bad will happen to him lol

He took the job, knowing the challenges and even said he was happy with the squad and availability of transfer funds.

He took the job with his eyes open. No room to moan on this one from him.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
As I said after Man Utd, a string of 2-2 xG games might be very exciting to watch, but when you've got forwards who can't finish it isn't going to yield many points.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good article and if that style is successfully implemented it will ne great to watch.
My worry is the amount of high intensity runs our midfielders needs to do to recover the ball as we only have Hodge and Boubacar as backup midfielders. Also it could be quite vulnerable with our defence.
My biggest issue is our centre backs are not quick enough to play that as evidenced by Saturday. The biggest problem is Dawson who is slow but reads the game well. Kilman isn’t as slow as some make out but he needs someone with experience next to him. As evidenced last season. Toti is probably the quickest of the three and I’ve got no clue on Pond. It’s why a Centre Half is crucial.

All good managers build from the back otherwise you are on hing to nothing. It’s cliched but you win games by scoring more than the opposition, if you can limit the opposition to 0 or 1 then you’ll pick up points most games. Trying to outscore the opposition in a basketball style match with our forwards is professional hari kari.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did GoN have a markedly better record as interim manager at Bournemouth (prior to being made permanent)?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did GoN have a markedly better record as interim manager at Bournemouth (prior to being made permanent)?
Well he took over after they been beaten 9-0 at Liverpool but was lucky enough to play the leagues most goal shy team next game, us. By the time of the break for World Cup they were outside of the relegation places, I think 6 points ahead of us. He was appointed and they had a dreadful run in January and couldn’t get a point but then they played us again and it changed their fortunes.

The problem is we can’t play ourselves to put our season back on track. We can just help others do that.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps the mods can re-open the poll for the repentent sinners

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The downgrade from Lop to him is ****ing astounding.

However, it is a fitting example of how FOSUN's ambitions for the club have pretty much decreased to zero in previous years.

We are ****ed until they sell.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s only a bit of fun, as I say, I was as anti GON as anyone.

What an absolutely incredible job he has done though. Whether it was pure luck or a Hobbs masterstroke, I think as a club we were due that bit of managerial good fortune after lockdown put pay to our Nuno era.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s only a bit of fun, as I say, I was as anti GON as anyone.

What an absolutely incredible job he has done though. Whether it was pure luck or a Hobbs masterstroke, I think as a club we were due that bit of managerial good fortune after lockdown put pay to our Nuno era.

Similar, but I wouldn't say I was anti GON... just anti the idea of GON with nothing real to back it up.

Similar feeling to when I heard Saunders was taking over.... I was incredibly right then. But incredibly wrong this time.

Thankfully.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s that Lopetegui guy up to?? Could he get us top 4??

Joking aside. Very well done to Gary and the rest of the team. What an achievement. Hard work pays off.

Now time for some Wembley glory!!

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
I will admit to voting no but it is almost as if someone who makes very few games due to money, time and distance really shouldn't be picking a manager, fair enough, but saying that those in charge have made some slip ups themselves lately.

Back
Top Bottom