Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil - Poll

Do you want Gary O’Neil as our next Head Coach?

• Total voters

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This squad is only 2 or 3 off being a comfortable top 10 team and maybe even Europe with the right coach so surely we can attract a better candidate than bleedin O’Neil!!? Lop was on mad wages so surely we can afford to pay somebody a decent salary too to take over?!…

if the job was that good, lop wouldn't be throwing up a fit to leave

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
But the new manager will be coming in knowing the financial constraints but also knowing we have a very talented squad who are very coachable….surely that is tempting for somebody with more experience and success as a coach than O’Neil?!….

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the new manager will be coming in knowing the financial constraints but also knowing we have a very talented squad who are very coachable….surely that is tempting for somebody with more experience and success as a coach than O’Neil?!….
This..
Even with financial constraints this is not a bad job at all..
Its a talented squad in the best league in the world. Sure we need strenght in depth but that's all.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
This..
Even with financial constraints this is not a bad job at all..
Its a talented squad in the best league in the world. Sure we need strenght in depth but that's all.
This is what makes the O’Neil appointment all the more baffling if it happens!…there are some very good coaches out there who could finish top ten this season with this squad and then go again next summer. Instead it’s gonna be consolidation and hope to go again next summer depending where we are. Only logic to me is again a money saving exercise, cutting JL’s huge salary off the budget?…If we need to spend again in Jan to save our Prem status then all of this will have massively bitten them on the ****!!!! Crazy!!!!

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
based on what though? Smith is proven to be a bad manager at this level. O'Neil is unknown, did a great job last season. the issue is how he translates that here.

It's more impressive that he kept Bournemouth up than what Lop did last season.
Based on the fact he's actually managed more than 37 games.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not like he thinks he's a better manager. We're not replacing Lopetegui with anybody close to the same reputation.

You're in the Fat Frank and Smith type of managers right now. He thinks O'Neil who was arguably manager of the season last year for keeping up the worse squad in the league, is a better shout then any of them.

Who do you think we should hire?
No idea in fairness. I’m out of touch but I wouldn’t be going for a manager who just got fired by Bournemouth for playing terrible football who has only had 1 season in football management.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary O’Neil, Tatum O'Neil;

Graham Potter, Pansy Potter;

Steve Cooper, Tommy Cooper;

whoever replaces our present Head Coach, at least give them a chance.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This squad is only 2 or 3 off being a comfortable top 10 team and maybe even Europe with the right coach so surely we can attract a better candidate than bleedin O’Neil!!? Lop was on mad wages so surely we can afford to pay somebody a decent salary too to take over?!…

Shi probably doesn't want to pay massive wages on a manager.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea in fairness. I’m out of touch but I wouldn’t be going for a manager who just got fired by Bournemouth for playing terrible football who has only had 1 season in football management.

He took over from Parker, who was playing good passing football. Got absolutely dominated, then got Fired.

He took over, saw the team couldn't play good football, saw they don't have the quality to match up against other teams and changed to be hard to beat and grind out results.

It worked and they finished 2 points behind us in 15th place.

We didn't play good football last season either, we was right next to them in most stats.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bournemouth fans wish him well, deserved his chance, hope he keeps them up etc. Sentimentally aside, a more honest poster notes:

If he went to Wolves I’m convinced he would still be the first manager to lose his job this season. His tenure with us relied solely on us having a decent squad to keep us up. Big plus for us though!
Luton, Sheff U and Wolves for the drop

They pretty much all see GON, as they refer to him, as a relegation avoiding appointment.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've voted no but as I alluded to on the Lopetegui thread he's nowhere near as bad as some are making out. He performed miracles at Bournemouth keeping this lot in the PL. I also would hang fire on putting the boot in until we see the terms, if he's an interim manager or a 12 month deal it's better than being high and dry and Steve Davis in charge for a month while we scramble around for someone.

1 - Mark Travers

2 - Ryan Fredericks

4 - Lewis Cook

5 - Lloyd Kelly

6 - Chris Mepham

7 - David Brooks

8 - Jefferson Lerma

9 - Dom Solanke

10 - Ryan Christie

11 - Emiliano Marcondes

14 - Joe Rothwell

15 - Adam Smith

16 - Marcus Tavernier

17 - Jack Stacey

18 - Jamal Lowe

19 - Junior Stanislas

20 - Siriki Dembele

21 - Kieffer Moore

22 - Ben Pearson

23 - James Hill

29 - Philip Billing

32 - Jaidon Anthony

33 - Jordan Zemura

35 - Owen Bevan

39 - Nathan Moriah-Welsh

40 - Will Dennis

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But in a bizarre way, I really want to see who's next on the list...
I mean if O'Neill is First, who would be,...4th or 5th choice? Presumably someone none of us ever heard of.
I’ve not sent my CV in yet so it’s not me. Am sure I’d get on the list if i applied. Never coached a football team in my life but that shouldn’t be a barrier. Can talk a good game and can chat to Jeff for 3 hours so am sur she’s be impressed.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think appointing Gary O’Neill would speak volumes about the competence of Jeff Shi and his team.

A whole world of highly qualified coaches and the rumour is a bloke who has less than a season’s experience as a stop gap. This is less than 12 months since they tried to do the same thing with Michael Beale.

Zenga
Lambert
Nuno
Lage
Davis
Lopetegui.

It’s becoming increasingly clear that the success of Nuno was more luck than judgement and ably assisted by Mendes’ help.

I get we don’t have a **** load of money to spend but I do see we have a very capable team of players. Handing them over to Gary O’Neill feels like a hate crime.

T

TheConcourse

I think some Wolves fans need to get off their high horses, if his name was Gary Rodriguez Jose, who came from a Portuguese league, they would all be ecstatic. Gary did an outstanding job at Bournemouth and had the dirty done to him end of the season. He gets my full support if appointed.
Don’t talk absolute ****e with the whole tired cliche of ‘if his name was’.. it’s boring, and it became tiresome about a decade ago.

People aren’t stupid. They can see actual stats. And Bournemouth were a car crash waiting to happen with this clown in charge.

Which, even with the sheer miracle of them staying up on his CV, is the reason they still potted him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think appointing Gary O’Neill would speak volumes about the competence of Jeff Shi and his team.

A whole world of highly qualified coaches and the rumour is a bloke who has less than a season’s experience as a stop gap. This is less than 12 months since they tried to do the same thing with Michael Beale.

Zenga
Lambert
Nuno
Lage
Davis
Lopetegui.

It’s becoming increasingly clear that the success of Nuno was more luck than judgement and ably assisted by Mendes’ help.

I get we don’t have a **** load of money to spend but I do see we have a very capable team of players. Handing them over to Gary O’Neill feels like a hate crime.
Re your last para you probably should add "currently" because l doubt that many of those players will wish to stay....

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t talk absolute ****e with the whole tired cliche of ‘if his name was’.. it’s boring, and it became tiresome about a decade ago.

People aren’t stupid. They can see actual stats. And Bournemouth were a car crash waiting to happen with this clown in charge.

Which, even with the sheer miracle of them staying up on his CV, is the reason they still potted him.
They got rid of him because new owners were itching to get their own man in, just like Fosun did with Jackett. No-one knows yet whether it was a good decision Bournemouth have made.

Bournemouth were a 'car crash' as you put it before this guy took charge. Lost their previous 3 games 3-0, 4-0 and 9-0 and the previous manager then threw the team under the bus and essentially threw the towel in. Tink for 'a clown' he did rather well to turn that around and keep them up, particularly given their squad was probably on paper the worst in the league.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some Wolves fans need to get off their high horses, if his name was Gary Rodriguez Jose, who came from a Portuguese league, they would all be ecstatic. Gary did an outstanding job at Bournemouth and had the dirty done to him end of the season. He gets my full support if appointed.

Seem to recall most Wolves fans being pretty gutted we were getting Bruno Lage. Who was more qualified than O’Neil is.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah, I think this is the end now.

They could have spent £20-30m to have a near guarantee of Premier League football by keeping Lopetegui happy.

So the fact they won't suggests it's far worse than we think.

We're just waiting to be sold now. Hopefully sooner rather than later but Shi's comments last week suggest nothing is close at all.
I also think this is a precursor to the sale short term and cheap pay off for new owners, never believed Shi so all the *******s about not being for sale is bluff

T

TheConcourse

They got rid of him because new owners were itching to get their own man in, just like Fosun did with Jackett. No-one knows yet whether it was a good decision Bournemouth have made.
What other Premier League club hires him?

And btw, I’m going off fan perception. I have no idea what their owner is thinking. Go read the views of their fans.

They’re thankful he kept them up, but couldn’t wait for him to leave. We’re in a position where Bournemouth fans are literally taking the **** out of us.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love Potter, more than JL.
Never coped with the Chelsea dressing room and the players were unfit. I don’t think he is as good as made out.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And btw, I’m going off fan perception. I have no idea what their owner is thinking. Go read the views of their fans.

They’re thankful he kept them up, but couldn’t wait for him to leave. We’re in a position where Bournemouth fans are literally taking the **** out of us.
Probably not even Luton if they had a vacancy.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
From the wording of the question, I voted no. But if JLo walks, then O’Neil did a decent job and had an immediate impact with a much weaker team last season, so why not?

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sounds like their fans are every bit as entitled as some of ours then, he performed miracles keeping them up. No idea who else hires him.

I'm not pro-O'Neil, if he's a long term appointment it's particularly uninspiring but on an interim basis for max 1 season, possibly less if we can identify a decent long term replacement while we get our house in order I think it's better than Steve Davis.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not like he thinks he's a better manager. We're not replacing Lopetegui with anybody close to the same reputation.

You're in the Fat Frank and Smith type of managers right now. He thinks O'Neil who was arguably manager of the season last year for keeping up the worse squad in the league, is a better shout then any of them.

Who do you think we should hire?
What’s that women from Forest Green doing

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes those stats where he won games, and grinded out results with a championship level team, to go from bottom of the league to safety.. must be a really bad manager to do that

Back
Top Bottom