Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Game on, top 6, top 4 can we ?

justfriggin

Reaction score
Look, everything doesn't depend on Traore. He's just a useful addition. No more no less. . I'd be more convinced of 4/5th if Jonny Raul and Neto were at it !! Shame really.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a slightly different note, as you would expect to see them there or there abouts, whats happened to Leicester this season. They would normally be in the west ham position but we have opened up a little bit of a gap in them now? Are their calls for brendan rogers to be sacked there, or have they had a load of injuries or something?
Yes they’ve had injuries all season. Fofana and Evans for much of it, which is why they can’t defend, and Soyuncu has gone to pieces without them.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The important thing is strength in depth - if we need it, which we most likely will. If the current team can stay uninjured, and Neto and Jonny are up to it in a few weeks from now, then maybe 6th is possible. And some luck on the pitch, too. The problem is if key players like Moutinho (who is totally on fire at the moment!) gets injured, there is no backup of equal quality. I think we need Moutinho, Neves, Sa, Coady and Kilman available for every match from now on. It's invariably injuries and suspensions that wreck the chances of those without the gargantuan squads.

And isn't Bruno famous for winning a title by going on an incredible run from January on? Lightening can't strike twice - can it? :rolleyes:

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best form in division, players coming back, no European distraction, rivals all look very average.

I think we are favourite for 4th as it stands.

Why Adama sale is way past stupid and will become a future reference point for stupid transfer policy in future if it goes ahead.
I don't.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes

I've always read that only seven English clubs can qualify for Europe in any given season, though with the advent of the ECL it might be eight in a freak year (not this season as Spurs are out), but for that to happen I think we'd need to finish top four to get into Europe anyway - and it wouldn't be the CL spot we got for it

It'll all get clearer as the season progresses and sides drop out the FA Cup. As it is, with Chelsea and Liverpool playing the League Cup final and probably qualifying for the CL through league position, the ECL spot will go into the league. So at the moment 6th position would be enough to qualify for Europe
Leicester are in the nonsense league. I think if they win it, it may mean 8 European qualifiers.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of seasons ago we were a very dodgy Mike Dean penalty away from a final day shootout for 4th with Chelsea.

We've nearly done it before. I don't see the notion as ridiculous at all. Unlikely perhaps but certainly not ridiculous.

And we were better then than we are now as a team. Doing well this season and very pleased with Bruno but that team was better than this one for me. We struggle big time to score goals and if we concede then wins may not come so easily and make no mistake, we will start conceding goals after this great run.

Raul was better back then, Boly better than Saiss you would say. Donk has regressed. Jota. Doherty weighed in big time going forward. Jonny was playing every week. I just think people are getting carried away, we rarely have impressed that much this season but we are certainly well drilled and have plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People seem to forget how brutal the prem is. A month from now we may have gone five games winless and the table would look very different. That isn't far fetched when you can't score goals.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Points wise we’re currently 8th yet we’re the same distance from 4th as we are from 9th. It’s far from ridiculous to think we have a shot at the top four. I think it’s unlikely but to rule it out is daft. If we come out of the next 4 games with a reasonable points return then we will have given ourselves a real shot at it.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes they’ve had injuries all season. Fofana and Evans for much of it, which is why they can’t defend, and Soyuncu has gone to pieces without them.
Agreed - but maybe they actually aren’t as good as some on here held them up to be. I’ve never looked on them in the same light as some on here.
take away a key player or two, Vardys goals dry up and they are average. Certainly nothing to put on a pedestal.
And Rogers is not the messiah either :p

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think 4th or 5th is very achievable. We're a very good team and I think performance over the last 15 games puts us as 4th. Might re-think if we sell Adama as we only really have 3 heavyweight forwards available at the moment. Crucial that we win our home games, starting with Arsenal.
Re home games...? Really? We do things differently. We have won 10 league games in the first half season and a bit, and 6 of them were away games. I personally always feel more confident when we are away. Don't see why things will change.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we were better then than we are now as a team. Doing well this season and very pleased with Bruno but that team was better than this one for me. We struggle big time to score goals and if we concede then wins may not come so easily and make no mistake, we will start conceding goals after this great run.

Raul was better back then, Boly better than Saiss you would say. Donk has regressed. Jota. Doherty weighed in big time going forward. Jonny was playing every week. I just think people are getting carried away, we rarely have impressed that much this season but we are certainly well drilled and have plenty of reasons to be cheerful.
**** me you are a misery guts

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know how anyone can say talk of top 4 is ridiculous or out our reach.

We have the second best defence in the league, are starting to look like scoring goals, haven’t had a bad performance since Norwich - and look the most confident we have looked in months.

It’s unlikely to happen as it will be tough to sustain it, but I fancy us over the next 4-6 weeks.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The top six teams get there because of their squads . That really is the reason they always are the top after 38 games . I think Leicester kept the best 14 or so on the pitch in that extraordinary season.The test will be if we have an injury will the other squad players be able to step in. This could happen . We have the advantage of not playing in Europe . And I suppose we have to ask yourself if we should sacrifice the FA Cup this year. The FA Cup is great for confidence but also risks losing a player to injury .

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You couldn’t have watched us much this season in that case

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester are in the nonsense league. I think if they win it, it may mean 8 European qualifiers.
Good point, had forgotten they weren't completely out of Europe. It would still require things like West Ham to win the Europa and Man U to win the CL though - as well as both of them finishing outside the usual qualifying positions

It'd be interesting if the perfect storm ever did happen to see how they'd arrange it, even allowing for eight clubs you'd have either 4th in the league or a cup winner not getting a European spot

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Winning the next four league games is a very tall ask, but do it, and we will likely be sitting fourth and one of the favourites to finish there. My history as a Wolves fan tells me that when we’re this close to glory, and it’s essentially in our own hands, we fluff it. However, the fact we are where we are is itself a cause for celebration, hope and just a little excitement.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
And 100%; hardly a soul is speaking about us gatecrashing a spot, which means the shock factor on the rest of the league would be even more significant if we managed it!
I put the radio on this morning and it was tuned to Talksport .They had a guy on from Corals discussing 4th place odds .Blah Blah Blah United Arsenal Spurs and West Ham and that was it
I don’t mind being under the radar but it is though we don’t exist .They discussed the same thing last week and then even mentioned Villa as having a chance but nowt about us .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People seem to forget how brutal the prem is. A month from now we may have gone five games winless and the table would look very different. That isn't far fetched when you can't score goals.
That is certainly a possible scenario. Unlikely but possible.

Reaction score
I didn’t think for one minute we would be in this kind of a position at this point in the season, the major hurdle for us at the moment is beating arsenal Tottenham and West Ham, beat those and you are really cooking on gas.

I’m always happy for this wolves team to prove me wrong and they have been for quite a while now, so in the interest of having to be wrong for wolves to do well I predict we will not be able to overcome arsenal Tottenham West Ham in the upcoming games, keep proving me wrong wolves!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But we're far less likely to concede, even if we do concede it looks like a single goal would save a point most of the time. Goals suddenly seem to be coming of late too.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point, had forgotten they weren't completely out of Europe. It would still require things like West Ham to win the Europa and Man U to win the CL though - as well as both of them finishing outside the usual qualifying positions

It'd be interesting if the perfect storm ever did happen to see how they'd arrange it, even allowing for eight clubs you'd have either 4th in the league or a cup winner not getting a European spot
It would certainly mean West Ham would have to win the Europa but think that may be it.

West Ham win the EL and finish outside the top 4 thus taking a 5th CL spot.

Leicester win the ECL, qualifying for EL while finishing outside the top 4.

Both donestic cups won by teams in the top 7, then 8th becomes the ECL place I think.

The 7 euro qualifiers was based in 2 competitions, not 3, so maybe.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

8 in our last 3 games is pretty good as far as I am concerned. Johnny on way back, Saiss performing brilliantly, Kilman as good as Boly ever was, Raul will get back, Semedo a better RWB (now) then Doc. Make no mistake, you seem to look for every opportunity to be downbeat and take the enjoyment out of a good run: "make no mistake, we will start conceding goals" when we have the second best defence in the PL.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we have a chance, a decent one too, and of course, it's still unlikely we'll achieve it but you have to shoot for it.

Some miserable ****s are just trying to set up their "I told you so" for a few months down the line.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get the home form as consistent as we can, give it a good go. Much chance as any other ****er

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
It would be a huge ask to expect us to keep this form up until the end of the season with the squad depth the we have compared with those above us and with the disparity at the moment in games played the table could all change pretty quickly. No harm in looking up though and I think we could catch West Ham at least. The next two league games could be quite pivotal as well. Win them and we're right in amongst it for the time being at least.

Back
Top Bottom